Your opinion - what would you do?

Xcelsior

Currently booked in an aft VX cabin for 11 night voyage.  Price for an Oceanview cabin has dropped substantially.....there is now a $2,400 Cdn price difference (total) to downgrade to an oceanview cabin before final payment is due in a couple weeks.  I love having a balcony (although we never use it much), and I love being at the back of the ship....but I'm having a really hard time justifying that kind of extra cost for a balcony on such a small ship when I can be on deck in about 30 seconds flat.  Have stayed in a Deck 4 oceanview on the Quest previously for 18 nights and we were just fine. But I really am torn on this one a bit since I like the aft so much.  Aargh. decisions decisions.  

Edited by Xcelsior
typo

I agree, itinerary makes a difference.  Is it port intensive?  Will you be doing scenic cruising?  If you won’t be spending time on your balcony, changing to an ocean view might be a wise thing to do.  That’s a good chunk of money that could be used towards another cruise 

I can appreciate the appeal of an aft balcony.  We were booked into a VX, but that cruise had to be cancelled.  On the next cruise, we were able to upgrade to a CW and really enjoyed the aft views.  On larger ships, this has been countered by the long walk to get anywhere – but the small size of the R-ships makes an aft-facing cabins a win-win!

3 hours ago, Xcelsior said:

It's Dubai to Mumbai.  Not exactly a scenic cruise....

Personally I’d switch to an OV deck 4. A category 05 as near midship as possible and save the money for something else.  Some people have to have a balcony of course.  I’m happy with a window.

Phil

• Like 2

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Personally I’d switch to an OV deck 4. A category 05 as near midship as possible and save the money for something else.  Some people have to have a balcony of course.  I’m happy with a window.

Phil

Thanks Phil. Yes, this is exactly what I have decided to do.  Calculating in my deposit, the cost savings are actually $3,000 Cdn total and no balcony could every be worth that much money to me.  Of course I think I can still upgrade after final payment if the balcony prices drop.....which I think they're going to since the cruise has a lot of cabins to fill.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, caripoo said:

I'd stay with the one that has the bigger bathroom....and a real size shower.......The showers in the non suite rooms are beyond tiny. And I love balcony's, even in Alaska!!

Bathrooms are the same size in an OV and balcony, so not a consideration here.  I'd go with the OV and save the money for tours.

• Like 2

We have an aft cabin on our next trip Singapore to Dubai , with seven sea days I feel we just have to have an aft cabin, if not on shore I spend a lot of time on the balcony either sunbathing, reading or just relaxing,  depends what you choose to do with your time.