Haven tipping

bjtravelnews

10 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Have to have something to talk about on here.  Otherwise, simply don't log in.  Not like we are going to see any cool trip reports or anything any time soon.  😢

LOL well yes but sometimes I think beating the dead horse even has to stop...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, oteixeira said:

This is your take on it.  What I (and maybe others, not sure) are trying to explain to you is you paid a premium in your cruise fair to have that butler, so in fact you PREPAID for this plate of snacks, so it did NOT cost you $0.  All that being true (and if you think it is not explain to me why a suite is so much more then a regular balcony room) than you do indeed have somewhere to start that is greater than $0 to base a tip scale from.  I am not telling you what to tip, or to whom.  I am telling you the premise that the butler costs you $0 for the plate he brought you is totally flawed.  

I was told that staff at hotels in the Bahamas expect 15% tip so it's 15% of what? The cruisefare? The bill when something is sent to my cabin? Or what? (Read post 96 if you don't understand why this is relevant.)

I don't necessary consider leaving a plate of snacks in my cabin to be "good service" but just someone doing their job. If they only do their job my scale starts at $0 because NCL encourage us to tip for "good service" and not for someone just doing their job.

I must make clear that I do tip because we normally do ask for some things and get "good service" so this is not about me not wanting to tip.

15 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I was told that staff at hotels in the Bahamas expect 15% tip so it's 15% of what? The cruisefare? The bill when something is sent to my cabin? Or what? (Read post 96 if you don't understand why this is relevant.)

You should ask the person who said that, not me...

4 hours ago, Trimone said:

So basically tax dodgers, and slave labour, so the massive tipping is a guilt trip? 

No, they're supplying a product at the lowest practical price.  

There's no free lunch here.  If they hired western labor and paid western taxes, you'd be paying a higher fare.

Which do you want, increased fares or lower prices.

You can't have both.

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

No, they're supplying a product at the lowest practical price.  

There's no free lunch here.  If they hired western labor and paid western taxes, you'd be paying a higher fare.

Which do you want, increased fares or lower prices.

You can't have both.

And an ethical conscience, personally I think after Covid-19 values in life will change for the better, and capitalism will step back two steps.

There’s no money that can replace health.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

And an ethical conscience, personally I think after Covid-19 values in life will change for the better, and capitalism will step back two steps.

There’s no money that can replace health.

Actually, I think just the opposite.

When the dust settles, I believe we will see how much our misguided lockdowns and other protocols have cost us. 

And,  yes, you can put a price on a life.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Just remember our labor laws are very different in the US.  The federal minimum wage for wait staff is $2.13 per hour.  If they do not make enough in tips to reach the regular federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour, the employer than makes up that difference.  However, due to our custom of 15-20% tipping, most wait staff make much more than the statutory minimum.

Exactly - we are very different and we must remember that when in the US - still giving more than 10% is not easy 🙂

8 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Actually, I think just the opposite.

When the dust settles, I believe we will see how much our misguided lockdowns and other protocols have cost us. 

And,  yes, you can put a price on a life.

You quote : you can put a price on life * How sad that may have died.

7D134A22-2B4C-432F-AF03-F284F5E1145E.png

• Like 1

I'll go out and say it and risk being banned for life on this site.

If you are anywhere on this Earth, land or sea, at a place that the staff works for tips, and receive good or better service...and you don't tip them?

You are not smart.   You are not thrifty.   You are not "going by how it is in the country I live in."

You are a cheap AHOLE.   

Plain and Simple.    

Butlers, waitstaff, Delivery drivers, Uber drivers, whatever it may be.       Tip what you want for services rendered.      Just don't not tip for any reason barring exceptionally poor services given.   

When you go back home you can go back to paying twice as much for your burger to pad the owners pocket a little bit more than to the waitstaff who get minimum wage.  

• Like 2

Sorry, I will tip what I believe is correct, just because we travel to the US for holidays it doesn’t mean we have to adopt your ways.

Look at it this way, no tourist would go and buy a gun? All countries are different that’s what makes holidays special.

• Like 1

No tourist would come to America to buy a gun for the same reason no tourist would go to England and drive on the right side of the road.   The argument you make isn't apples and oranges.    Personally there is little doubt in my mind that whatever I or anyone this side of the keyboard says that will change your mind.  So carry on enjoying your cruise while people work for free for you.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jethrojam said:

No tourist would come to America to buy a gun for the same reason no tourist would go to England and drive on the right side of the road.   The argument you make isn't apples and oranges.    Personally there is little doubt in my mind that whatever I or anyone this side of the keyboard says that will change your mind.  So carry on enjoying your cruise while people work for free for you.   

I think that’s in very poor taste. RIP Harry Dunn.

7 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

Actually it was all over the news "across the pond". Very disturbing.

Im sure but I didn’t see it and certainly didn’t mean anything by it, same as he didn’t know about the people who got shot last night with guns.   My point was that it’s further away then apples and oranges. 

edit.  You’re correct i did hear about it.  Last year.   I was reading the date wrong and assumed by his reaction it was recent.  

Edited by jethrojam

8 hours ago, jethrojam said:

I'll go out and say it and risk being banned for life on this site.

If you are anywhere on this Earth, land or sea, at a place that the staff works for tips, and receive good or better service...and you don't tip them?

You are not smart.   You are not thrifty.   You are not "going by how it is in the country I live in."

You are a cheap AHOLE.   

Plain and Simple.    

Butlers, waitstaff, Delivery drivers, Uber drivers, whatever it may be.       Tip what you want for services rendered.      Just don't not tip for any reason barring exceptionally poor services given.   

When you go back home you can go back to paying twice as much for your burger to pad the owners pocket a little bit more than to the waitstaff who get minimum wage.  

Preach it Brother..

Our first Haven experience was horrible on the Jade. The butler flat out refused to help us with anything (we had the wrong colored cards that didn't say Haven on them, cards didn't work in the elevator to get up to the Haven deck, wrong disembarkation luggage tags, wouldn't assist with getting us lunch near the courtyard and simply told us to call room service). Whatever we were planning on giving them went to the cabin steward and concierge instead.

Next time on the Epic was night & day difference. We tipped the Haven bartender about $150 over the course of the 11 day cruise, and he deserved even more. Erwin was the best. The concierge disappeared by 5am on disembarking day to catch a flight home, so his money went to his assistant who actually helped us more than he did anyway. We always give the cabin steward extra to put up with the sand from our snorkeling excursions, but they definitely don't expect it. We left it in an envelope with her name on it on the bed when we went to dinner the last night, and she simply moved it to the desk and didn't take it. We had to hunt her down and hand it to her and she was shocked to get anything.

I think we gave the butler around $200 for the 11 day cruise. Snacks tailored specifically to our liking, breakfast in the room on days with early excursions, advice on ports (they sail these routes back to back to back, they're great resources of info - use them), pitchers of juice to mix with our free bottle of sparkling wine, coordinating extra beach towels for the snorkeling days, learning our habits for when we don't want to be disturbed so those snacks are ready and waiting at the right times, making sure we had everything we needed at all times - he just simply made things easier for us, unlike that horrible one on the Jade who made things 100x worse.

We always go in with a ballpark idea of what each person will get with cash in separate envelopes for each of them, then rob from Peter to pay Paul as the trip goes on based on who actually made our trip more pleasant and enjoyable. 

• Like 1