Haven tipping

bjtravelnews

12 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Covid-19 regulations, No cash allowed under any circumstances...

What are you going to tip now?

Ummm, how about tip via the front desk or concierge desk?  Here's another, bring a few blank personal checks on board and make them out to the people (bonus, now you have to ask who they are and their full name, half the fun of cruising is the stories these great people have about their lives).

6 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Ummm, how about tip via the front desk or concierge desk?  Here's another, bring a few blank personal checks on board and make them out to the people (bonus, now you have to ask who they are and their full name, half the fun of cruising is the stories these great people have about their lives).

I'm not worried about the tipping either.  While I doubt any staff would accept a cheque, going to the front desk is very easy, been there, done that. Take their cards with you to ensure proper spelling and you're good to go.  

15 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

No crew member wants a personal check.   This isn't 1995.   🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Trimone said:

Your filthy money needs to be laundered - watcha gonna do ?

EASY

Go to Guest Services and request a credit voucher to tip the crew people you want.

No cash involved - just a paper transfer of funds from your on board account or a

bill to your credit card on file - good way to use up unwanted OBC ! Yes you can do this !

Helps to have the full name of that crew member and best also to include his work station.

Had one cruise where the Concierge Butler and Cabin Steward were all named Carlos.

You will receive an invoice of the transaction - copy of which you can give each crew member tipped.

Sorry those little white envelopes are not provided - suggest you bring your own with Thank You cards.

The hard thing about this is spacing and waiting in line at Guest Services - but you don't have to

wait to the last day to do this.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 9:10 AM, ColeThornton said:

No crew member wants a personal check.   This isn't 1995.   🙂

Next someone will suggest they use their AMEX Traveler Checks!!!! 😂😂😂

Well, see ya guys later - Im gonna go put on my HammerPants and go listen to my Walkman with BassBoost. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

Next someone will suggest they use their AMEX Traveler Checks!!!! 😂😂😂

Well I resemble that reply - and I thought I was so smart - times have changed !

In this day and age of plastic money any Travelers Checks are so passé !

On my last cruise NCL deferred cashing T Cks - so I ran the (tips) bill on my Credit Card and promptly

took the T Chks to my bank to cash and credit my account to  pay the credit card bill forthcoming.

Sheesh what a run around - consolation the T Cks are at face value - no service charge.

The big issue with credit cards is the number of places that honor them -

VISA Master Card seem to be honored in more places than AMEX.

On 9/30/2020 at 7:41 AM, Trimone said:

Until CDC puts a Tip Police on the ship, I'll simply ignore this regulation.  I'm sure many will too including those receiving the tip.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Until CDC puts a Tip Police on the ship, I'll simply ignore this regulation.  I'm sure many will too including those receiving the tip.

Breaking the rules before even cruising? Cruise companies haven’t a chance.

People will have to abide by rules, or they will ruin it for everyone.

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

Breaking the rules before even cruising? Cruise companies haven’t a chance.

People will have to abide by rules, or they will ruin it for everyone.

These ridiculous CV protocols are what will ruin things for everyone.

Those making the rules should consider that there are limits.   People will only follow rules that make sense and are effective.  The more they come up with ridiculous rules like no cash, the more people will ignore all the rules.

On 9/30/2020 at 5:54 AM, oteixeira said:

Who uses checks anymore?

Venmo, or PayPal would work fine. But, even better, just add to your account.

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Who uses checks anymore?

Venmo, or PayPal would work fine. But, even better, just add to your account.

3 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

I am paid in checks all the time, no fee for me or the client.

Me too, working in customers homes, most of my customers pay me by cheque (sorry UK spelling), the rest pay cash.

It's the best method for me, especially as I can pay them in with my phone and shred the cheque after 2 weeks.

Mind you, I get more £5 tips with cash payments 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Me too, working in customers homes, most of my customers pay me by cheque (sorry UK spelling), the rest pay cash.

It's the best method for me, especially as I can pay them in with my phone and shred the cheque after 2 weeks.

Mind you, I get more £5 tips with cash payments 😂

Checks (or cheques) are nice, Cash is King!

• Like 1

I found this article dated 8th Jan 2020 which gives a lower tipping recommendations than those given by some posters on this thread

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=132

This also seems to be in line with what Frommers and other travellers websites say too

Edited by SpainAlien
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

2 x Prepaid Service Charge for Suites & The Haven

Says nowt in confirmation, about Butler & Concierge not being included?

just saying !

Butlers and concierges have never been included in the daily service charges so I'm not sure why you are suddenly surprised.

15 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I found this article dated 8th Jan 2020 which gives a lower tipping recommendations than those given by some posters on this thread

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=132

This also seems to be in line with what Frommers and other travellers websites say too

Did you notice the suggestions to split and distribute some tips at the beginning and end of the cruise?

7 hours ago, Trimone said:

just saying !

Hi Trimone, fellow brit here 

In the NCL FAQs it says:

concierge, butler, youth programme staff and beverage Service) provide Service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall Service charge.... We encourage those guests to acknowledge good Service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities....   "

This thread is really about what is considered "appropriate" and what constitutes "good service"

Edited by SpainAlien

40 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Hi Trimone, fellow brit here 

In the NCL FAQs it says:

concierge, butler, youth programme staff and beverage Service) provide Service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall Service charge.... We encourage those guests to acknowledge good Service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities....   "

This thread is really about what is considered "appropriate" and what constitutes "good service"

Hello, I just get feed up with being dictated to what I should spend my hard earned on, people are boasting how much they give their live long friends the butler and concierge, some even say, word gets around the ships who tips and who doesn’t ?

I don’t care, I’m always courteous, polite and have good manners, which is more than what I can say about some fellow haven guests.

Just looking at Spain., we go to Nerja, looking at EU restrictions it’s not going to make much difference is it?

• Like 1

I agree. I object to being told to tip the butler more than I earn in a week. I have saved to go in the Haven as a one off, I don't want to have the experience ruined by going broke to tip 1000$ to concierge, butler, assistant butler, etc., if they are simply doing their jobs

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2020 at 9:56 PM, Trimone said:

just saying !

You have been around for a long time and know that the Butler and Concierge have never been included in the Daily Service Charge and that you are expected to tip them separately. This is nothing new and is nothing new to you. 

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You have been around for a long time and know that the Butler and Concierge have never been included in the Daily Service Charge and that you are expected to tip them separately. This is nothing new and is nothing new to you. 

Encouraged not expected, in other words it’s not mandatory.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:51 PM, BirdTravels said:

Totally up to you. 

The Butler and Concierge are not included in the Daily Service Charge. 

When people ask, our response is the same

Butler $10-$15 per person in room per day 

Concierge $5-$10 per person in room per day

Steward extra $5-$10 per person per day

This is what we do as well. 

• Like 2