Reduced Air Transfer Fiaso 75% PENALTY

ddlb

Ok I should not be upset over $30 but....

I finally got my "reduced air" flight information 2 days ago and discovered our flight home is not till 10:35 p.m.  

This means the extra charge I had to pay for the  NCL transfers from the pier to the airport are no good because we do not want to get to the airport 10 hours early.

So I told my TA to refund that portion of the transfers as we still need the transfer from airport to pier.  Yes it is only $15 each but still.....

Here is her response:

"They were able to take off your transfers from the pier to the airport.  Because you are only 40 days out you have a penalty of 75% and will only be receiving a $7.50 refund....

Should I just forget about it - would you?  I did email my TA back asking who "they" were - her agency or NCL!  Thanks for any responses especially if this has happened to you!

I'd forget about and the hassle isn't worth my time for $30. On another note, I'd never ever let a 3rd party like NCl handle my vacation airfare unless it saved my several hundred if not thousands over Kayak or whatever I could book myself. 

• Like 2

That does not make sense. i switched from an airport transfer to a transfer/tour about a week before sailing and they refunded the full cost. I would ask them to call again. Yet another reason I won't trust a TA to do this stuff for me.

I would have your TA call and find out if you can change your flight times.  Others have report they have been successful in doing this.  I think there is a specific department that handles air.

11 hours ago, ddlb said:

I finally got my "reduced air" flight information 2 days ago and discovered our flight home is not till 10:35 p.m.  

This means the extra charge I had to pay for the  NCL transfers from the pier to the airport are no good because we do not want to get to the airport 10 hours early.

So I told my TA to refund that portion of the transfers as we still need the transfer from airport to pier.  Yes it is only $15 each but still.....

Here is her response:

"They were able to take off your transfers from the pier to the airport.  Because you are only 40 days out you have a penalty of 75% and will only be receiving a $7.50 refund....

Should I just forget about it - would you?  I did email my TA back asking who "they" were - her agency or NCL!  Thanks for any responses especially if this has happened to you!

I understand both sides of the story and boy would I hate a 10;30 return, but on the other hand, I wouldn't hassle with complaining or trying to get it changed. Penalties do apply often for good reason and when you consider the cost of the cruise, how much is it worth the hassle over $30?   

ZQVOL has a good idea. Think about it. Or you can call the airline and see if you can get your flight changed. Better ask your TA to do it. A good TA will be glad to give it a shot. 

8 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

Never let a cruise line or any  third party handle your airfare. It’s too easy and the same price or usually less to book it on your own.

Don’t fall for the “free” scam that is NCL’s signature offering.

This is another time when you are not correct. There is no way in H we could fly for $99 a person round trip from NWA to Miami. and that includes taxes. I don't care what discount company one uses. We priced our flight before we took our agents advise. Even using our retired airline daughter's discount it would have cost us right around $500 per person. Now, tell me where the NCL scam comes in? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

This is another time when you are not correct. There is no way in H we could fly for $99 a person round trip from NWA to Miami. and that includes taxes. I don't care what discount company one uses. We priced our flight before we took our agents advise. Even using our retired airline daughter's discount it would have cost us right around $500 per person. Now, tell me where the NCL scam comes in? 

As OP I sure do agree with you on this.  My first cruise using reduced air was perfect - non-stop flights at great times to/from Miami out of Birmingham for $99 - it was a great deal.  I guess I just had to vent about my transfer and I  appreciate everyone responding. to my post.   I did get a great flight from B'ham to Anchorage for sure so can't complain there!  I did price the flights and did save money.  I do think it was a blessing in disguise to be able to spend the day in Vancouver - what an eye opener on things we can do.  So on the bright side leaving at 10:35 p.m. and not being able to use the transfer is ok.  When you grow up "poor" it's hard to put things in perspective - but as pointed out considering the price of the cruise $30 (actually $22.50) isn't that much!  Thanks everyone for your opinions!

• Like 3

I agree. We booked a Spa balcony for a 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Breakaway with free airfare and all offers for less than $4k total. Granted, that was after the latitudes 20% off offer, but even so - to add on flights in May from NY to MIA could get expensive. I think we made out great with the offer, even before the 20% off.

Granted, our cruise isn't until 2021, so hopefully our flight times/seats  will be okay. If not, we can always pay for an upgrade if we can and deal with the times (maybe spend more time in Miami, since every time we're there it's usually just for the night before the cruise). Still ends up cheaper than buying the flight right out.

2 hours ago, ddlb said:

As OP I sure do agree with you on this.  My first cruise using reduced air was perfect - non-stop flights at great times to/from Miami out of Birmingham for $99 - it was a great deal.  I guess I just had to vent about my transfer and I  appreciate everyone responding. to my post.   I did get a great flight from B'ham to Anchorage for sure so can't complain there!  I did price the flights and did save money.  I do think it was a blessing in disguise to be able to spend the day in Vancouver - what an eye opener on things we can do.  So on the bright side leaving at 10:35 p.m. and not being able to use the transfer is ok.  When you grow up "poor" it's hard to put things in perspective - but as pointed out considering the price of the cruise $30 (actually $22.50) isn't that much!  Thanks everyone for your opinions!

Edited by JC5240

Lol, your cruise is in 2 years and your worrying about flight times. Flights change all the time, from now until 2 years from now that flight could be removed or modified to a different time slot. Relax and worry about it come closer to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ddlb said:

Here is her response:

I had an occasion when I arrived too early to check bags at the airport. It may be a good idea to make sure that this is not an issue.

18 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

That does not make sense. i switched from an airport transfer to a transfer/tour about a week before sailing and they refunded the full cost. I would ask them to call again. Yet another reason I won't trust a TA to do this stuff for me.

They did that because you upgraded, you didn't cancel.

The airport transfer becomes part of the cruise fare booking and is subject to the cancellation fee schedule.  We lost $60 this way a couple of years ago and never do NCL transfers now.  

As noted, they will let you switch to a tour that drops at the airport - I guess because it is usually more $ for NCL.  

On 7/25/2019 at 9:50 AM, JustAPilot said:

Lol, your cruise is in 2 years and your worrying about flight times. Flights change all the time, from now until 2 years from now that flight could be removed or modified to a different time slot. Relax and worry about it come closer to. 

If only I had so much time on my hands...

• Like 1

I booked airfare myself because i only like to fly Southwest   The only flight leaving out after 1030 am Isnt until 755 PM   I found a day pass for hotel in Miami for 9-5 it was only 59 bucks for a room and use of all amenities. It is on the beach and a well known brand hotel   Ill just take a Uber,  So worth since you cant check you luggage in so early.   Just look up Day use hotels.  Oh and 30 bucks is 30 bucks  I would calling NCL.  

Not worried in the slightest - whatever it is, it is. My point was in relation to the bundle with airfare working out in our favor price-wise. Being hopeful and worrying are two different things. 

On 7/25/2019 at 9:50 AM, JustAPilot said:

Unfortunately "just forget about it" is exactly what NCL (and any business that would do similar for that matter) would like you to do.  And also the same approach that tells them they can decide to screw you around on something else and also get away with it.    This is the same as increasing extra fees without warning and after final payment, extending for pay areas of the ship into formerly included in fare areas, vastly higher specialty restaurant prices, increased DSC, etc.  A little here a little there, and when most customers just accept it they move on to another area.  We have no one to blame but ourselves when we keep taking whatever they dish out next.

• Like 1

Personally I would fight it.  It’s one thing if YOU booked that flight, or if NCL gave you an inconvenient but reasonable flight, say 3 pm.  The departure time is ridiculous as is getting to the airport 11 hrs early.  I WOULD call, ask for a supervisor, and ask to either have the entire transfer cost refunded or ask if they could put you on a flight with a more reasonable departure time.  

Future learning for all...you can buy transfers on board, no need to book them when you book the cruise.  NCL sneaks them in (I chose that word intentionally, because they do NOT even show you they are charging you for them) and you have to call to get them removed.  I wish I could do free air but hubby is an awful traveler so we don’t - but believe me, if we did I wouldn’t decide about transfers until after I knew what my flights are.  Not that you can change how you booked, OP, but I would absolutely complain and point out 

1.  NCL didn’t disclose the cost of the transfers when you booked, they are hidden in details.

2.  When you booked you had no info about flight times and never imagined such a late flight home

3.  It’s unreasonable to expect you to sit at the airport for 11 hours or more waiting for the NCL-booked flight.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2019 at 7:16 PM, herdingdogmom said:

The airport transfer becomes part of the cruise fare booking and is subject to the cancellation fee schedule.  We lost $60 this way a couple of years ago and never do NCL transfers now.  

As noted, they will let you switch to a tour that drops at the airport - I guess because it is usually more $ for NCL.  

Good information. Makes it clear to Op me now!  Solution in future book transfer back to airport on ship instead and transfer to ship only with reduced air. THANKS!

On 7/25/2019 at 12:53 PM, newmexicoNita said:

But what is the cruise cost difference??? It isn’t just a simple comparison.  Also what type of ticket are you getting.   Some are very restrictive.   

I just got off a cruise today and ran into a happy person who also got reduced air.   I didn’t mention that my same cabin class was $800 less per person      

On 7/25/2019 at 7:16 PM, herdingdogmom said:

That must be an NCL thing. I have cancelled transfers on other lines before — as late as when I’m on the ship — and have always gotten a full refund.