Just get of the Sirena, quick review.

Winters Gate

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We will not be aboard ship ship during lunch hours on any port days, so will have no comments on that issue.

I can't even imagine eating on a ship - any  ship - when in port.  But this board has certainly confirmed that we're port-focused.

1 hour ago, Winters Gate said:

That´s great that you like to eat your lunch in a local café, we however like the quiet ambiance of a lunch on board,

Who says "quiet ambiance" isn't doable on shore?  We've had many.

I shouldn’t have posted on this thread. We all take our vacations for our own purposes and desires. Some of us cruise and travel for the ports of call. New countries, new sights, new experiences. For us, the very definition of travel is seeing the land and country side, experiencing the local food, seeing the local people in their natural environment.

On the other hand, I’ve meet many O cruisers that are only interested in the ship and rarely if ever get off the ship. Had a couple on a 15 day cruise with us last year that got off the ship once, and then only for a couple of hours. Meet cruisers that never get off. This past Spring we had dinner, on Day 8, with a gentleman that had already watched 40 films aboard ship.He’d brought his own movie collection and a surround sound speaker system that would play off the cabin TVs. He hadn’t left the ship on any of the beautiful FP islands.

No right or wrong here, only personal choices. It’s like those that have left their hotel and lined up at the ship at 9:30 awaiting Embarkment, while we’re out exploring the city or area until 14:30-15:30. We each struggle to grasp the purpose the other’s actions. 

So the point commenting on one or the other is fruitless. We all pay and do as we please. Rush back, or never leave, the ship if that’s what rocks you. You won’t have to worry about many of us waiting in line behind you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Which ever you prefer I don't like the trend of the GDR being closed for lunch, unless I'm not on the ship, 😏

Seriously though, we eat in the GDR all sea days and some port days, depending on the situation. If we are not taking a tour and just walking around a port and it's close to the ship then I'll eat on the ship. I do like eating local, but I'm not all about that. More a combination of the two. We do usually like to have a glass of wine and a local beer if we're just walking around a port town. 

Most cruise lines are cutting costs. Miss lunch in GDR.   However, on port days, most people eat in the Terrace.  On my last cruise, we only went to GDR on one day when we docked after 3 pm. We were off the ship taking excursions. Ate local in many places. With the Bistro menu in the GDR, it would be nice if you could get a French meal at lunch.  

The reason I first posted my question about the GDR being closed on port days -- which sort of got me called on the carpet, but not really -- was precisely because we LIKE to have lunch in the GDR but at the same time when only 80 passengers were on board in Haifa (November 2017) it was certainly understandable that the GDR would not be open.  Unfortunately, it became clear that more and more it was NOT open ...and that did bother us, especially when we went into Terrace and were overwhelmed with passengers returning from tours.  There should be a happier medium.

No, that didn't happen often.  But even once is not good.

The ship DOES know how many people are off the ship at any time.  It certainly can be more difficult to anticipate how many are off the ship for the whole days as opposed to just a few hours.  It's easy for them to calculate people who are on ship's tours.  Not so easy for people on DIY tours.

We came from a time when the GDR was ALWAYS open for lunch.  It's difficult for us to adjust to it's "sometimes" open.  Which is why I posted my question to CC to begin with.

And it was quite clear that Oceania staff DO read what we post here!

Mura

• Like 1

even when the GDR is open on port days  it closes at 1:30 or 2pm  ..sometimes before the tours return

often times  we stay on the ship or just go ashore  in the morning 

the GDR has very few people in there  so why not let the staff have some extra time off  rather then standing around  doing nothing

on ports where people head inland  like Paris or Berlin even the Terrace was deserted at lunch

JMO

11 hours ago, ORV said:

just walking around a port and it's close to the ship then I'll eat on the ship.

Whereas 100% of the time we'll eat on shore.  Can't imagine doing otherwise.

Paul;

It’s a Catch 22 for all of us:

1.  I may not care if the GDR is closed for lunch on port days because it doesn’t affect me. I’m never there.

2. Some could care less ( and even benefit) that the Terrace is for Teatotallers, they don’t drink.

Even though one may not care about any or all the many issues it still becomes a reflection overall of the cruise line.

On 7/25/2019 at 6:32 PM, Winters Gate said:

So was this cruise up to pair with the ones we have made before? Unfortunately not, I think Oceania is going a dangerous way when it comes to food, I mean if you say time after time that you have "the best food at sea" it´s not a great strategy to start cutting cost in that department. Don´t get me wrong the most of the food tasted nice to really nice with some misses but it was so clear that they had limited there menus and started to use lower quality of ingredients.

We were on the same cruise, and I totally agree with the OP about this in terms of both quality and options---still really good, but not quite as good as before.  We also seemed to have more glitches in the MDR than on previous cruises.  For example, 3 of us got the same salmon entree, but one of them was cold.  One of the plant-based dishes was unbelievably spicy, but no way of knowing that from the description.  We found service to be unusually slow during 2 dinners, though the staff was very pleasant and apologetic.  A few other small things.  Overall, staff was wonderful, especially our cabin stewardess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the major plus for Oceania in the past was eating in the dining room at lunch.  Over the last few cruises the dining room was only open for a day or two for lunch in Europe.   We were very disappointed.  We are doing another Oceania cruise in January on the Sirena and hopefully the dining room will be open for lunch.  

3 minutes ago, Lorna Doone said:

One of the major plus for Oceania in the past was eating in the dining room at lunch.  Over the last few cruises the dining room was only open for a day or two for lunch in Europe.   We were very disappointed.  We are doing another Oceania cruise in January on the Sirena and hopefully the dining room will be open for lunch.  

I found people are inclined to either stay on the ship or return early on the Caribbean cruises  than on the European ones

YMMV

Regarding the MDR closure during lunch is troubling.  Reducing services while increasing fares seems short sighted.  We average two to three cruises per year.  Started with Silversea and now cruise exclusively on Regent and Oceania.  Our favorite ships are Marina and Explorer and we prefer the larger suites because we enjoy our time on the ship as well as in port.  We will oftentimes stay on the ship while in port if we've been there or have no interest.  So, it really doesn't matter to me how many passengers have left the ship.  We've always enjoyed the MDR at lunch.  One of the things that we've enjoyed on Marina is having so many options and so being forced to dine at a buffet, to me, is no longer a luxury cruise experience.  We have two back to back cruises booked on Marina next year in Europe for a total of 22 days.  This issue could be a deal breaker.  Explorer does not serve lunch in the MDR but either Prime 7 or Chartreuse, or both, serve lunch daily which is lovely.  We enjoy alternating cruises on Regent and Oceania but if Oceania continues to close the MDR on port days, it may be time to consider Crystal or Seabourn as an alternative.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 10:31 PM, clo said:

Whereas 100% of the time we'll eat on shore.  Can't imagine doing otherwise.

Some ports, there is nothing close by worth eating off the ship.  This is especially true in the Caribbean.  We don't do fast food or Senor Frogs type places.  Not passing off as a food snob, we have been food poisoned too many times.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Caribbean

Not in our top one million of desired destinations.  Been there, done that.  Once was more than enough.  In December we'll be going from Rio to Buenos Aires, with mostly Brazilian ports, one or two in Uruguay and then BA.  Will be gobbling and gulping all that Latin food 🙂

20 hours ago, clo said:

Not in our top one million of desired destinations.  Been there, done that.  Once was more than enough.  In December we'll be going from Rio to Buenos Aires, with mostly Brazilian ports, one or two in Uruguay and then BA.  Will be gobbling and gulping all that Latin food 🙂

Most of our gut issues were in the Mid East,  Africa and South America.(Santiago and Rio)  Have fun.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Most of our gut issues were in the Mid East,  Africa and South America.(Santiago and Rio)  Have fun.  

Been there with no issues.  

On 7/28/2019 at 9:20 AM, pinotlover said:

Paul;

It’s a Catch 22 for all of us:

1.  I may not care if the GDR is closed for lunch on port days because it doesn’t affect me. I’m never there.

2. Some could care less ( and even benefit) that the Terrace is for Teatotallers, they don’t drink.

Even though one may not care about any or all the many issues it still becomes a reflection overall of the cruise line.

However there is a even larger issue... 

Granted over time things change... people do not like change, but it happens   People set out to search for a product/ ship/ line that fulfills  their wants that they miss.

I went through this search  some time ago....  And therein is where a problem arose... I just could not find a line or ship that offered   the experience, the value, overall feel, that Oceania  offered.

None...   all things considered,  I just could not find a rational replacement.      Bear in mind too that while O has changed so has everyone else in the industry....not Just O !     

So.... what options do you have.... really....    I tried my best and came up empty.....    

On 7/29/2019 at 1:31 PM, floridatravelersforlife said:

Some ports, there is nothing close by worth eating off the ship.  This is especially true in the Caribbean.  We don't do fast food or Senor Frogs type places.  Not passing off as a food snob, we have been food poisoned too many times.  

Agreed.... seen a awful lot of  people, pretty sick.    Hey pure economics, I am paying serious money for a wonderful journey experience,  why would I want to risk being in the ships hospital for a good portion of  that.?

..    Besides, any eatery within driving distance of a port is probably going to be  highly  touristic pandering to visitors.....    If I want to eat local  I travel by land... totally different focus

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AtA said:

I'm disappointed to hear this as the one thing that I truly liked about Oceania was the food. 

Can you clarify  what you are disappointed to hear ?

There are over 40+ posts  which one are you reply to?

20 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Can you clarify  what you are disappointed to hear ?

There are over 40+ posts  which one are you reply to?

The OP's comments plus others saying the food was not quite as good as a few years ago

Just now, AtA said:

The OP's comments plus others saying the food was not quite as good as a few years ago

thanks

Some dishes have changed & some cooks should not be in the kitchen

We have had some  dishes that were not up to par  but for the most part  they are still many that are good

JMO