Luxury vs. Premium Plus cruise lines

Travelcat2

9 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Yes…please give more details. We’re getting on the Zuiderdam in a month for a 10 day Canada cruise, and your thoughts will be helpful. 

We were on the Westerdam right before the pandemic and the food was awful. I’m hoping it’s gotten better.

We had posted a blog on the HAL board during that cruise.  Lots of “supply chain” issues like running out of black tea, all kinds of sparkling water, etc.  on board accounting problems became quite annoying after 11 separate overcharges.  Lincoln Center Stage was discontinued after 2 weeks, no production shows, all live entertainment ceased by 10:45 or 11, etc etc.  The ship seemed under staffed and just getting a drink could take 20 min during busy times.  And then, we had a Hotel Manager who seemed to hide in her office and would not meet/talk to passengers.

Bottom line for us (5* Mariners) was that although we still enjoyed the cruise, we realized that other cruise lines are a

much better value with higher quality.  Am on Seabourn now where all is quite fine 😋

Do you all think that there should be a central governing body that should classify these cruise lines?

Because as of now it seems very subjective. How do you quantify premium and premium+ as well as luxury? Is there a score?

How  do they define "LUXURY" ?

I find that is more subjective

All inclusive does not mean luxury to me  but  maybe to others it does

We did  a cruise on a LUXURY  line  the food was  sometimes better than the Premium line  but for the most part  it  was not

drinks included  but  they did not make cocktails  only Grasshopper or Pina Colada (bar tenders did not know how to make other kinds)

You had wine beer& mixed drinks  then it was OK

put rum in a glass put coke in it  they know how to do that

Maybe CLIA  could  set down some guideline  as the the branding of what is Luxury/Premium/Premium+

JMO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We had posted a blog on the HAL board during that cruise.  Lots of “supply chain” issues like running out of black tea, all kinds of sparkling water, etc.  on board accounting problems became quite annoying after 11 separate overcharges.  Lincoln Center Stage was discontinued after 2 weeks, no production shows, all live entertainment ceased by 10:45 or 11, etc etc.  The ship seemed under staffed and just getting a drink could take 20 min during busy times.  And then, we had a Hotel Manager who seemed to hide in her office and would not meet/talk to passengers.

Bottom line for us (5* Mariners) was that although we still enjoyed the cruise, we realized that other cruise lines are a

much better value with higher quality.  Am on Seabourn now where all is quite fine 😋

Thanks for the additional info. We’re four star mariners, and this is our first post pandemic cruise, on a credit we’ve had for what seems like forever. I hope HA is getting their act together.

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

How  do they define "LUXURY" ?

I find that is more subjective

All inclusive does not mean luxury to me  but  maybe to others it does

We did  a cruise on a LUXURY  line  the food was  sometimes better than the Premium line  but for the most part  it  was not

drinks included  but  they did not make cocktails  only Grasshopper or Pina Colada (bar tenders did not know how to make other kinds)

You had wine beer& mixed drinks  then it was OK

put rum in a glass put coke in it  they know how to do that

Maybe CLIA  could  set down some guideline  as the the branding of what is Luxury/Premium/Premium+

JMO

Exactly!

To some people, if you have to use your card during the cruise, then it's not luxury. They like to pay up front and not to have any further expenses. But no line is really all inclusive. SS has 2 dining venues that are extra. Other lines have other things that they charge for, even if they market themselves as all inclusive. Even lines that include excursions (like SS) have some "premium" excursions that are extra.

To me, most lines that have small ships are way above the big ships, and I don't really care how they call them. I would gladly sail on any small ship, depending on itinerary and price. Personally I believe that Oceania newer ships provide the best value for money. 

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 9:37 AM, DanJimmy said:

Do you all think that there should be a central governing body that should classify these cruise lines?

No, because it won't matter.  Or do it the way hotels are rated in Europe: you need X amenity to be 2-star, you need X + Y amenities to be 3-star, you need X+Y+Z amenities to be 4-star etc.....Entirely a quantitative, not qualitative measurement.

• 1 month later...

Interesting convo.  I was just traveling with a Four Seasons group and I commented to management that on this trip to 7 FS hotels it was interesting that as unique as each one was, all the amenities were the same, in-room.  The iPad system, lighting and thermostats, turn-down service, coffee machines, laundry service, most toiletries, even the hairdyers and flat irons were consistently the same.  We didn’t have to figure out how to lock the safe or adjust the lights on every stop.  Management appreciated the observation and reiterated that their definition of luxury has changed from opulence/high-end to comfort and familiarity.  It’s always been an element of their product but I think they’re creating a wonderful experience and ambiance with this emphasis and I’m looking forward to seeing how they apply this concept to their upcoming yachts.

• Like 1