Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 31

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, July 29 and Sunday, August 4.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

On Sunday morning we packed the car and took to the road. Our destination was the iconic Route 66, “The Main Street of America”. Since 1926 it served as the primary route for travel and commerce from the Midwest to the Southwest and points along the way. Though the last of the original route was replaced in 1985 by new interstate highways, bypassed segments have been adopted by local groups that have built museums and turned diners and such into nostalgia destinations with many on the National Register of Historic Places. Songs, movies and even a TV show have written The Mother Road indelibly into America’s story. It was worth the (10 mile) drive to record a bit of history.

Get Your Kicks

p3543099875-5.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 5:52 PM, Geezer Cruiser said:

Couldn't resist this groovy number! 

IMG_20190801_142505_521.jpg

i remember the box of hundreds of buttons my mother had leftover from years of seeing projects. Never once did I consider covering my car with them. Maybe I should have? 🙂

Dave

Our camera club had an outing to the beautiful Mornington Peninsula on Sunday. Promised jetties, beaches, waves and gorgeous sunsets. 

On the jetty at Blairgowrie, a juvenile crested tern.

E0B127A2-CE0D-4707-9853-1C28C4B6756C.thumb.jpeg.c3f91a73d100486e0eec35504582c56d.jpeg

Okay, some wave action at Cape Schank 

F5430E7D-5BE7-45BC-BCF4-CE828E05ED60.thumb.jpeg.2f5b2e8299df0a9a735b6a02027640c3.jpeg

and that magical sunset

A52C7EBB-4703-4FDF-A8C5-D2EAE727EEF3.thumb.jpeg.2fedf1ec5593c80c0133e9c9fd1cecc6.jpeg

needless to say, the astrophotography did not proceed.

6 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Our camera club had an outing to the beautiful Mornington Peninsula on Sunday. Promised jetties, beaches, waves and gorgeous sunsets. 

E0B127A2-CE0D-4707-9853-1C28C4B6756C.thumb.jpeg.c3f91a73d100486e0eec35504582c56d.jpeg

F5430E7D-5BE7-45BC-BCF4-CE828E05ED60.thumb.jpeg.2f5b2e8299df0a9a735b6a02027640c3.jpeg

and that magical sunset

A52C7EBB-4703-4FDF-A8C5-D2EAE727EEF3.thumb.jpeg.2fedf1ec5593c80c0133e9c9fd1cecc6.jpeg

I particularly like the wave one. If I was to be a nit picker I’d want the focus slightly further back on the birds eyes, looks nearer his beak, but I probably just kicked into judging photo contest modes, sorry.

Edited by GUT2407
Add word

15 hours ago, Docker123 said:

and that magical sunset

Great pictures.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:53 AM, pierces said:

i remember the box of hundreds of buttons my mother had leftover from years of seeing projects. Never once did I consider covering my car with them. Maybe I should have? 🙂

Dave

I was one of those people who saved all the buttons.  Never did anything with them -- finally threw them out  a couple of years ago.

On 8/6/2019 at 8:08 AM, GUT2407 said:

I particularly like the wave one. If I was to be a nit picker I’d want the focus slightly further back on the birds eyes, looks nearer his beak, but I probably just kicked into judging photo contest modes, sorry.

With that sort of judging, I am sure you would have the black cap ready if ever elevated to the bench.  

Then again, I think Judge Hannon from Alice’s Restaurant could do a better job than some I have encountered.

that said, I agree about the bird. But it turned its head and the camera went off. No time for posing.

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

With that sort of judging, I am sure you would have the black cap ready if ever elevated to the bench.  

Then again, I think Judge Hannon from Alice’s Restaurant could do a better job than some I have encountered.

that said, I agree about the bird. But it turned its head and the camera went off. No time for posing.

Anyone other than you I’d have been gentle,

Another shorter day in the wetlands - started out partly cloudy, then started to build into thunderstorms all around - fortunately they stayed about 10 miles away at the closest point while I was out in the flat wetlands, but caught up on my way home again.  We're in the Florida summer pattern - it's rained every day for 4 consecutive weeks, almost always between 2:30pm and 5pm as the heat and humidity build up the clouds until they explode.  Here are some of the wetlands animals from that Saturday:

A marsh rabbit:

original.jpg

A juvenile little blue heron flying past - they start out all white from chicks up to full size, then start to transition into dusky blue head-to-toe for their adult colors - during the in-betweens, you get odd spotted patterns of white and blue:

original.jpg

A least bittern, often a very elusive bird, peeks out from behind some reeds to contemplate a move:

original.jpg

I feel like this would go well with some music - these anhingas look like a chorus belting out a tune.  In person, the tune was more like a bunch of dull croaks and groans:

original.jpg

A distant great blue heron, hanging out in the deeper waters, and taking cooling baths:

original.jpg

A pair of black-bellied whistling ducks flying over:

original.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Anyone other than you I’d have been gentle,

Speaking of nice judges, which we weren’t with you ...

our club runs a print print and projected image competition each month. Judges are external. Often members at other clubs, many with certification from APJA. Some professional photographers, even the art director of a large travel association magazine (but also a photographer). Emphasis, as in the focus comment, is often on the technical elements of the image. 

Images are are viewed by the judges without creators’ names or the titles. PDI sent to them about 10 days before, prints cold viewed on the night.

Recently we we had a non-photographer as the judge. Visual Arts Director of a Gallery and community educator. Interesting her approach to assessment was so different from the norm — very curatorial. A lot about the aesthetics of the image, trying to understanding the narrative and meaning. Relationship of style to other visual artists. Engagement and impact. Even commented on the juxtaposition of images and how they reinforced each other, caused amusement, etc.

Of course, as she didn’t know anything about photography, I got one of the best image awards.

mr Gut, will send you an email about her comments. Not really suitable for this board.

On 8/8/2019 at 3:44 AM, zackiedawg said:

Here are some of the wetlands animals from that Saturday:

A marsh rabbit:

original.jpg

A pair of black-bellied whistling ducks flying over:

original.jpg

Justin:

Your photos are always impressive but these two really got to me!