New England Cruise

GLW513

I suppose it depends on your criteria.  Are you interested in fall colors, weather, ship  passenger makeup?

Personnaly, my crew booked a New England cruise (Aug 30-Sept 6 2020) and our criteria was better weather and getting back before Labor Day (one school aged person in our group.)   I would think that the farther away from Labor Day the fewer school aged humans you will see.

It's such an open ended question, if you're looking for specifics you might clarify.

No need to be sorry, explanation of what you're looking for is helpful.  The east coast in Sept. is still quite nice, not too hot but not cold yet either, in my experience.  In early October though, is when the colours of leaves change and some of the scenery is fantastic.  The temps will be cooler, but... since you're from the south, you may find them cold, however, the results are sometimes worth it. 

Given this summer's relatively warm/hot temperature for July & trending for August ... I would probably look at something closer toward mid/late September into early October, either out of NYC or BOS on NCL (Jewel or Gem) for better foilage/colors ... round trip or one-way ??

We just did Canada/NE in early May & it was still cool, cold for many - Escape is doing 2 or more trips but it can be overwhelming to tender ashore, if Bar Harbor, Maine is on the itinerary - all the ports are likely going to be packed with other cruise ships, popular for folks.  

On a side note, do take a close look at hotel prices - NYC being exceptionally high for most of September since you are flying in ... really, don't recommend coming in, day of embarkation ... one of CC's regulars had a close call recently watching the sailway, on Pier 88 or en route over (unless using free/reduced NCL Air)

Hello, here is Southern New England peak fall color is usually mid Oct. but depends on temperature and amount of rain all summer. The more northern states roll back the dates from there. While it can be warm n October, the sun sets earlier and certainly there  starts to be an evening coolness. It will depend what you are looking for out of your cruise.

But in the fall, because of changes in the length of daylight and changes in temperature, the leaves stop their food-making process. The chlorophyll breaks down, the green color disappears, and the yellow to orange colors become visible and give the leaves part of their fall splendor.

The colors will begin to change first at the northern end of the journey and then spread south.

My opinion - try and go mid-September to first part of October.

Cruised B2B Boston Quebec 2016 & 2018

First part of September:

Earlier crowds - weather/scenery not quite prime - air fares still up in the air

Mid-September - October scenery beginning to change weather moderating

October and on - fewer crowds weather at prime or has begun to turn *** weather ***

potential of fall weather setting in early with fog rain rough seas in the St. Lawrence

All three of these however are subject to tail-end hurricane season effects - later lessor so

NCL Ships DAWN and ESCAPE out of NYC - GEM out of Boston

NCL choice of NYC or Boston and Quebec City for cruises 7 day 10-11-12 day some B2B
Getting to and from Quebec City can be an experience - plan carefully.

Ports visited - varies by departure port - some of these are tender ports 

Newport

Portland

Bar Harbor * always a tender port

Halifax * double stop on B2B cruises

St. Johns

Sydney * maybe double stop on B2B cruises

Charlottetown PEI

La Baie/ Saguenay

Quebec City * B2B - end of cruise overnite port stop a bonus

Preference for embarking port - BOSTON - fewer problems with airports transfers

hotels close by (although may be more expensive) air fares competitively with NYC

Edited by don't-use-real-name
  • Like 2

@yearsofcruising Well if you want to enjoy the hot tubs, of course bring a bathing suit!!! 🙂

IMHO October is best.   Main reason we like to go then are the rates come down quite a bit and no kids running around.

Question for everyone else: we've cruised NE & Canada on two different occasions & both times it was a round-trip to/from NYC.  I now see cruises from NYC terminating in Quebec City; how are pax getting back to NY from Quebec?  Is NCL offering packages that fly you back after the cruise?

2 hours ago, dznymom said:

The biggest Leaf Peeping weekend in these parts is Columbus Day weekend.  We might be a bit earlier this year due to weather.  It will likely be chilly in the evenings, though.

Great answer ... (in the Bar Harbor area) leaf peeping is usually best Columbus Day weekend.  Assuming you are going to stop in Bar Harbor .... check to see if everything is still running the day you will be here (ie. Island Explorer).

Enjoy it is beautiful!  Jan

2 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

@yearsofcruising Well if you want to enjoy the hot tubs, of course bring a bathing suit!!! 🙂

IMHO October is best.   Main reason we like to go then are the rates come down quite a bit and no kids running around.

Question for everyone else: we've cruised NE & Canada on two different occasions & both times it was a round-trip to/from NYC.  I now see cruises from NYC terminating in Quebec City; how are pax getting back to NY from Quebec?  Is NCL offering packages that fly you back after the cruise?

think people are doing back to back. flying out is a bit of a pita, Quebec to Montreal via train, then linking up a flight and adding a possible overnight in Montreal.

Amtrak to NY also a forever(slow) proposition.

10 minutes ago, bones774 said:

think people are doing back to back. flying out is a bit of a pita, Quebec to Montreal via train, then linking up a flight and adding a possible overnight in Montreal.

Amtrak to NY also a forever(slow) proposition.

Quebec City has an international airport.  Surely that would be simpler?

@bones774 Exactly my thought!  I looked into flights to BWI from Quebec & they're non-existent.  Ditto Montreal to BWI.  Amtrak is way too expensive & unreliable to boot; I'd almost rather rent a car & drive!  I guess B2B cruise is the only option.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Named-Tawny said:

Quebec City has an international airport.  Surely that would be simpler?

maybe in name only, it's another thing to get a flight. Albany NY is called international also, good luck with that!

1 hour ago, tomk3212 said:

@bones774 Exactly my thought!  I looked into flights to BWI from Quebec & they're non-existent.  Ditto Montreal to BWI.  Amtrak is way too expensive & unreliable to boot; I'd almost rather rent a car & drive!  I guess B2B cruise is the only option.

Thanks!

Amtrak is unreliable but here's a tip, customer service is not bad, if you have a major delay give them a polite call and they are willing to compensate and give future credit.

4 minutes ago, bones774 said:

maybe in name only, it's another thing to get a flight. Albany NY is called international also, good luck with that!

Fair enough.  I know it has direct flights to PHL, EWR, ORD, and YYZ, so I assumed that getting most place in North America on one connection (via UA, AC, or AA) should have been fairly simple.

Going from small airport to small airport would definitely be tougher though, absolutely. =/

8 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Fair enough.  I know it has direct flights to PHL, EWR, ORD, and YYZ, so I assumed that getting most place in North America on one connection (via UA, AC, or AA) should have been fairly simple.

Going from small airport to small airport would definitely be tougher though, absolutely. =/

just a quick test , ewr to yqb is $900 and more exceeding 1k for r/t.

rather do the b2b

Edited by bones774

17 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

My opinion - try and go mid-September to first part of October.

Cruised B2B Boston Quebec 2016 & 2018

First part of September:

Earlier crowds - weather/scenery not quite prime - air fares still up in the air

Mid-September - October scenery beginning to change weather moderating

October and on - fewer crowds weather at prime or has begun to turn *** weather ***

potential of fall weather setting in early with fog rain rough seas in the St. Lawrence

All three of these however are subject to tail-end hurricane season effects - later lessor so

NCL choice of NYC or Boston and Quebec City for cruises 7 day 10-11-12 day some B2B
Getting to and from Quebec City can be an experience - plan carefully.

Ports visited - varies by departure port - some of these are tender ports 

Newport

Portland

Halifax * double stop on B2B cruises

St. Johns

Sydney * maybe double stop on B2B cruises

Charlottetown PEI

La Baie/ Saguenay

Quebec City * B2B - end of cruise overnite port stop a bonus

Preference for embarking port - BOSTON - fewer problems with airports transfers

hotels close by (although may be more expensive) air fares competitively with NYC

Great info in your response to OP question. We looked into doing just one leg and decided to do B2B (9/20 out of Boston then back in Boston on 10/4). Yes more expensive but so much less stress. We like the longer cruises anyway. We’ve only done warm weather ports so we’re really looking forward to this trip. 

I just looked up peak foliage time in Nova Scotia and it says mid  September to early October.  I live in Southern New Hampshire and our peak is usually around Columbus Day weekend.  Last year it was a week or 2 later.  I'd say

first week of October might be best for color around the region.

22 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

We are going to be in Bar Harbor on Sept 19 from GEM.  I hadn't realized it was a tender port (I was reading the wrong places apparently!). We are the first ship in port that day... we arrive at 8, other ship at 9.  We booked a 9:30 excursion (not through NCL).  Having been on only two cruises and never tendered, is that likely to be enough time to make our bus? 

Thanks!