Really dumb question about final payment

aimee0715

8 hours ago, combine said:

0CF5DA5E-F9D9-46CD-9564-25AE3867D6C9.thumb.png.fe3b941784cf03e65664acd96573dcdd.png

Bonnie, the link you provided brings up this page on the website in the UK, which states payment at 90 days. Is this still correct? Many travel agents here in the UK do ask for payment well before that to ensure funds are cleared but Azamara still only requires payment at 90 days? 

Yikes, I forgot different markets have differing rules. I do apologize!

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2019 at 8:40 PM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Do you use a US TA. It’s been illegal in the UK since January 2018 for anyone to charge a percentage for using a credit card.  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/card-surcharge-ban-means-no-more-nasty-surprises-for-shoppers

The ban includes Amex https://www.savethestudent.org/news/debit-and-credit-card-surcharges-set-to-be-banned.html

Mine used to make a charge for BA Amex  but now doesn’t.

Denise. Thank you for this nugget of advice. After some digging around with my travel agent I now understand that I can pay by AMEX without fee, but it really wasn't made very clear. Well in fact downright misleading!  Virgin Atlantic card duly cancelled saving me a £160 annual fee and now know I can earn AMEX Avios on my cruise purchases, so a real help. Thank you. 

Phil 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Denise. Thank you for this nugget of advice. After some digging around with my travel agent I now understand that I can pay by AMEX without fee, but it really wasn't made very clear. Well in fact downright misleading!  Virgin Atlantic card duly cancelled saving me a £160 annual fee and now know I can earn AMEX Avios on my cruise purchases, so a real help. Thank you. 

Phil 

Glad to be of help.  

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Great news Phil.

I have paid with Amex for the last 3 or 4 years without fee and  whilst the Travel Agent takes my details over the phone, the payment is taken by Azamara direct and appears as Azamara Cruises Miami on my statement......and yes Avios a plenty!!!

• Like 1

Great result for you Phil  - you also pick up an extra level of travel disruption insurance through the BA amex card as well if you pay any part of the trip by Amex (does not need to be the whole cost)

• Like 2

Thank you all for the information on BA Amex.  I so wish I had known about this having recently booked and paid for two sets of flights not to mention all my other spend!  I shall be ordering a card before I book any further flights/holidays, etc.

1 hour ago, Werangels said:

Thank you all for the information on BA Amex.  I so wish I had known about this having recently booked and paid for two sets of flights not to mention all my other spend!  I shall be ordering a card before I book any further flights/holidays, etc.

It makes a big difference to me with the money I spend on cruises. Added to revenue flights and buying miles, it really helps. Without being smart and taking notice it was Host Grandma's post that alerted it to me. I'm going to earn 12,000 miles for my January cruises which bumps up my Avios.

I've a lot to learn still, but at least was smart enough to get a free business class flight to LAX for my LA to Auckland cruise using a Virgin Mastercard. 

Just be aware that AMEX does limit you elsewhere. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

8 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

It makes a big difference to me with the money I spend on cruises. Added to revenue flights and buying miles, it really helps. Without being smart and taking notice it was Host Grandma's post that alerted it to me. I'm going to earn 12,000 miles for my January cruises which bumps up my Avios.

I've a lot to learn still, but at least was smart enough to get a free business class flight to LAX for my LA to Auckland cruise using a Virgin Mastercard. 

Just be aware that AMEX does limit you elsewhere. 

Phil 

I’ve had many company AMEX cards over the years but never thought of having one for myself as, I enjoy the cash back on John Lewis, etc.  I have a lot to learn too, clearly............

Any recommendations for which BA Amex?  The basic or the premium plus?  I do pay the balance every month, so the horrendous APR isn’t a worry.

Wearangels, the Premium card  has a yearly fee of £195 , but once  you trigger the 241 Companion voucher from BA ,it is valid for two years whereas the Basic card is  only valid for 1 year. You receive 1.5 Avios for every £1 spent on a Premium card and 1 Avios for Basic card. Any BA spend is 3 Avios per £1 on the Premium card. Only you will know what suits you but the yearly fee works out at just over 50pence a day. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...