Really dumb question about final payment

aimee0715

Final payment for our cruise is due tomorrow.  This is my second Azamara cruise and the first was transferred to a travel agent after I initially booked it on the Azamara website.  So, I didn't have to handle the final payment directly with Azamara.  I have logged into the website and looked high and low for how to pay for our cruise.  I see no tab for payments.  I just called Azamara (their phone number is not very prominent on their website either) but they are not open yet.  Interestingly, there is no option on the phone menu for people calling in to make payment.  This is so weird to me.   Is there a way to pay online that I am overlooking?  

You are leaving hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the tabler by booking directly with all cruise lines.  Plenty of TA's provide OBC, gratuities, cash rebates, etc.  Not to say you have an advocate if things go wrong.  Who do you want to advocate for you, a low paid customer service person on the phone who works for the cruise line or an experienced TA with connections to the right people at the cruise line who works for you???

2 hours ago, rallydave said:

You are leaving hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the tabler by booking directly with all cruise lines.  Plenty of TA's provide OBC, gratuities, cash rebates, etc.  Not to say you have an advocate if things go wrong.  Who do you want to advocate for you, a low paid customer service person on the phone who works for the cruise line or an experienced TA with connections to the right people at the cruise line who works for you???

I do agree w you.  However, the OP asked about paying for a cruise booked w the cruise line and not whether you should book with the cruise line instead of w a TA.  Your answer did not help the OP.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

I do agree w you.  However, the OP asked about paying for a cruise booked w the cruise line and not whether you should book with the cruise line instead of w a TA.  Your answer did not help the OP.

DON

It may in the future though. Some don't even realise finding a good travel agent is both useful and financially sound. 

Phil 

Speaking of final payments, on my last cruise, my TA collected ours almost 4 months before our sail date. When she called post cruise to ask how the cruise went I asked about that, having learned that 90 days seems to be the norm. I got a line about “what if the card didn’t go through and she couldn’t reach me”, etc. anyone experienced this?

2 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Speaking of final payments, on my last cruise, my TA collected ours almost 4 months before our sail date. When she called post cruise to ask how the cruise went I asked about that, having learned that 90 days seems to be the norm. I got a line about “what if the card didn’t go through and she couldn’t reach me”, etc. anyone experienced this?

Well I did use my usual TA who somehow did not process final payment to Azamara ( which is by the way  4 months from sail date)  so Azamara immediately cancelled my cruise!! 4 months out. I lost my cabin. Hopefully not the deal offered at the time I booked but TA is currently trying to rectify everything. It is good to have a TA work it all out . They had told me that they would bill my credit card automatically which somehow was not done so they know they are to blame. I believe it is usual practice to let them bill your credit card for final payment. Azamara does now require it 4 months out.

35 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Yes.  Mine always requests the funds a month before Azamara’s final payment date.

Phil

2 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Yes.  Mine always requests the funds a month before Azamara’s final payment date.

Phil

My TA give me until the cruise line due date to pay.  They immediately pay the cruise line and provide me two invoices the cruise line and their invoice so I know it was paid.  In this computer era no reason to pay before payment is actually due and no reason your TA cannot pay on the same day you give them approval to pay along with a credit card.   Would never allow the TA to charge the payment to them or pay anyway other than by travel credit card and use the points for air to the cruise.

Beware of any TA who wants you to pay them.  ALL payments need to go directly to the cruise line.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil

How do you think big TA companies make their money? Not only do they get commission from the cruise/ holiday company, but they also have your money on deposit for a month, earning interest. May not be much per person, but it adds up to a lot of money,.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rallydave said:

My TA give me until the cruise line due date to pay.  They immediately pay the cruise line and provide me two invoices the cruise line and their invoice so I know it was paid.  In this computer era no reason to pay before payment is actually due and no reason your TA cannot pay on the same day you give them approval to pay along with a credit card.   Would never allow the TA to charge the payment to them or pay anyway other than by travel credit card and use the points for air to the cruise.

Beware of any TA who wants you to pay them.  ALL payments need to go directly to the cruise line.

Yes, unfortunately mine doesn’t.  However if I need to do something with my booking between their final and Azamara’s I can.  It’s something I have asked about, but because he is part of a larger travel agency group he can’t do anything about it.  It’s still beneficial for me to use a travel agent.  Just something I need to bear in mind. 

Phil

Just now, Host Grandma Cruising said:

How do you think big TA companies make their money? Not only do they get commission from the cruise/ holiday company, but they also have your money on deposit for a month, earning interest. May not be much per person, but it adds up to a lot of money,.

I would have agreed with you when interest rates were 8 or 9% per annum, but in the UK it hasn’t been that way for some time. 

Phil

3 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I would have agreed with you when interest rates were 8 or 9% per annum, but in the UK it hasn’t been that way for some time. 

Phil

No, but 1% of a very large amount (which it will be for the very large companies) is still quite a lot.

17 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

No, but 1% of a very large amount (which it will be for the very large companies) is still quite a lot.

Companies will not be making more than 0.2% on overnight money at present

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I just wish mine would take BA Amex without charging 3% extra. That’s my main bugbear, but played the game and got a Virgin MasterCard and it’s paid for a business class flight to LA in December.  Overall though, with the service I get and real cash discounts rather than OBC, it works for me and saves having to deal direct with Azamara’s call centres. 

Phil

• Like 2

While not sure about how things work in the UK, have used many different TA's in the US over the past 41 years and have never been asked or paid early and ALWAYS paid by credit card which was charged by the cruise line and never by  the TA.  Would never play the TA  as if they go out of business,no recourse but, the cruise lines are big enough to not declare bankruptcy.

Know the consumer laws in the UK protect the consumer in ways we never get in the US. but, don't see why payments need to be made so early.  Guess I am glad am in the US and keep my money earning interest until the last minute and that can be almost 2 months after paying and earn points worth thousands of dollars toward air and hotels.

5 minutes ago, rallydave said:

While not sure about how things work in the UK, have used many different TA's in the US over the past 41 years and have never been asked or paid early and ALWAYS paid by credit card which was charged by the cruise line and never by  the TA.  Would never play the TA  as if they go out of business,no recourse but, the cruise lines are big enough to not declare bankruptcy.

Know the consumer laws in the UK protect the consumer in ways we never get in the US. but, don't see why payments need to be made so early.  Guess I am glad am in the US and keep my money earning interest until the last minute and that can be almost 2 months after paying and earn points worth thousands of dollars toward air and hotels.

Exactly, its different UK legislation and travel agency bonding.  We have recourse if they go out of business our money is safe

48 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I just wish mine would take BA Amex without charging 3% extra. That’s my main bugbear, but played the game and got a Virgin MasterCard and it’s paid for a business class flight to LA in December.  Overall though, with the service I get and real cash discounts rather than OBC, it works for me and saves having to deal direct with Azamara’s call centres. 

Phil

Do you use a US TA. It’s been illegal in the UK since January 2018 for anyone to charge a percentage for using a credit card.  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/card-surcharge-ban-means-no-more-nasty-surprises-for-shoppers

The ban includes Amex https://www.savethestudent.org/news/debit-and-credit-card-surcharges-set-to-be-banned.html

Mine used to make a charge for BA Amex  but now doesn’t.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

27 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Do you use a US TA. It’s been illegal in the UK since January 2018 for anyone to charge a percentage for using a credit card.  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/card-surcharge-ban-means-no-more-nasty-surprises-for-shoppers

The ban includes Amex https://www.savethestudent.org/news/debit-and-credit-card-surcharges-set-to-be-banned.html

Mine used to make a charge for BA Amex  but now doesn’t.

Thanks for that. I will have a read and speak to him. See what he says.

Phil 

5 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Hi Mackdogmolly,

our final payment deadline is indeed 120-days prior to sailing date: https://www.azamara.com/booked-guests/before-you-board/payment-cancellation

Interesting discussion.

The take-away seems to be that it’s well worthwhile to look closely before choosing a TA. I was an absolute novice cruiser when I booked my first Journey cruise three years ago. I’ve gone on to regret that I assumed all cruise agents were the same and chose the one that came up first on a Google search. For me, final payment has always been 120 days out, which is not of much consequence, but when I wanted to cancel a B2B over a year out, I learned that I’d be charged a hefty fee. To avoid it, I needed to make bookings of equal value within a year of the original cruise. It didn’t break my heart to do that, and to their credit, the company and TA have been very generous with OBC, but I can see the cancellation penalty could be a huge problem for some people.

Caveat Emptor,

Melissa

7 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi Mackdogmolly,

our final payment deadline is indeed 120-days prior to sailing date: https://www.azamara.com/booked-guests/before-you-board/payment-cancellation

0CF5DA5E-F9D9-46CD-9564-25AE3867D6C9.thumb.png.fe3b941784cf03e65664acd96573dcdd.png

Bonnie, the link you provided brings up this page on the website in the UK, which states payment at 90 days. Is this still correct? Many travel agents here in the UK do ask for payment well before that to ensure funds are cleared but Azamara still only requires payment at 90 days? 

1 hour ago, combine said:

0CF5DA5E-F9D9-46CD-9564-25AE3867D6C9.thumb.png.fe3b941784cf03e65664acd96573dcdd.png

Bonnie, the link you provided brings up this page on the website in the UK, which states payment at 90 days. Is this still correct? Many travel agents here in the UK do ask for payment well before that to ensure funds are cleared but Azamara still only requires payment at 90 days? 

In Norway it is also 90 days.