Boarding times

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

What port can you do this?  I'm Diamond and in the last 2 years, they don't even start boarding until after 11 or 11:30 in MIA and FLL.   

I think he just made it up, never heard of this.

28 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Being on the ship early when you have a late appointment time will go away once all of the ports have switched over to assigning a boarding zone during the online check-in. Then you can arrive early, but you will still have to wait until your boarding zone is called in order to board. On my last cruise in June on the Magic, my boarding zone was assigned during the online check-in process.  Had I not been able to get FTTF, I would have had to have waited until my boarding zone was called.  This is better than the old way of getting a boarding zone after arriving at the terminal.  The new way should help the entire boarding process.

Can't wait for this to happen!

2 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

On Journey cruises, I understand that 60% of the passengers are wedding parties, Diamonds, and Platinums -- which is why they do not offer FTTF on Journey cruises.

So... does this mean Gold cruisers will have a shorter line to get on-board...?  😂😂😂🤣

I mean its already like that if you show up during your actual arrival window. You should have a short line at most

On 8/5/2019 at 3:51 AM, CruizinKittie40 said:

When we ported out of Jacksonville they didn't even seem to know what time we were supposed to board and didn't even care.  I can't remember but I think we were a little early and they didn't say anything. 

Most of the time they don’t really know when the ship will be cleared to board. It happens when it happens. I was on the Legend going to Australia in 2014 and they decided to have a ship inspection, and we didn’t board until 2pm.

Asfar as you check in in Jacksonville, maybe they aren’t as strict or haven’t started the online check in yet.

Edited by crzndeb

On 8/4/2019 at 9:09 PM, Lottacruises said:

Boarding begins once the ship is empty and cleared.

Most people realize this.  The OP asked specifically about the check-in/boarding times.  Your answer doesn't help that, and perhaps adds to the confusion about when they are able to board.

32 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

So what's their boarding time?

The OP says their "boarding time " is 12:00, but what they really mean is that is their check in time.  Time on to the ship will vary by the number of people checking in, and if someone has to take care of anything not covered with their online check in.  It's usually anywhere from 15 minutes to a half an hour until you're onboard.

Everyone picks an arrival time (they are set in 30 minute increments) when completing their online check in.  You are not supposed to arrive at the port before that window.  Those who are Diamond/Platinum or who have FTTF can arrive at any time.  

Some ports are pretty loose with those times.  Others are not.  Best to adhere to the time you pick, so you get onboard quickly and without additional hassle or waiting.

4 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

The OP says their "boarding time " is 12:00, but what they really mean is that is their check in time.  Time on to the ship will vary by the number of people checking in, and if someone has to take care of anything not covered with their online check in.  It's usually anywhere from 15 minutes to a half an hour until you're onboard.

Everyone picks an arrival time (they are set in 30 minute increments) when completing their online check in.  You are not supposed to arrive at the port before that window.  Those who are Diamond/Platinum or who have FTTF can arrive at any time.  

Some ports are pretty loose with those times.  Others are not.  Best to adhere to the time you pick, so you get onboard quickly and without additional hassle or waiting.

So their boarding time is 12?

4 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Most of the time they don’t really know when the ship will be cleared to board. It happens when it happens. I was on the Legend going to Australia in 2014 and they decided to have a ship inspection, and we didn’t board until 2pm.

Asfar as you check in in Jacksonville, maybe they aren’t as strict or haven’t started the online check in yet.

Wow, how does that work for a wedding party?

"So their boarding time is 12?"

There is no such thing as an assigned boarding time. Check-in time is what is assigned. You may have a 12:00 check-in but based on zones, crowds etc. its possible you may not board till 1:00 or if things are moving smoothly be on by 12:20.

16 hours ago, cruisinmems said:

Can't wait for this to happen!

It is already in effect in Galveston and does not work as the previous poster stated. 

If works the same as before. People who are not priority go to their zones. When they begin boarding the non priority, etc.. they begin calling the zones. When there are  not many people coming up to board they call open boarding and that's it, they are done with the zones.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

It is already in effect in Galveston and does not work as the previous poster stated. 

If works the same as before. People who are not priority go to their zones. When they begin boarding the non priority, etc.. they begin calling the zones. When there are  not many people coming up to board they call open boarding and that's it, they are done with the zones.

I've never been on a cruise where they have just said open boarding and everyone in the waiting area was able to walk on the ship.  I am curious what port does this and at what time they announce open boarding and stop calling the boarding groups.

36 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

How often have you heard open boarding? I have never heard that from anyone before or heard it personally. Granted, I have been Platinum for awhile so I would never be in the terminal if/ when this happens. 

Hopefully to better explain.

In Galveston........Before they used the zones now printed on the boarding passes they would pass out a zone card. Before they did that they would stamp your zone on your boarding pass.... etc...

So let's say they are handing out zone cards, numbered from 1 through 60. They hand these out to non priority downstairs when they scan your passport. There are approximately 24 "cabins" per zone card. Ever been asked how many is in your cabin? This is one of the reasons. They then send you through security and upstairs to wait in your zone. Once they begin boarding, they start with priority folks, etc... 

Once those have left the area, they begin with the zones. Zone 1 is usually a full group, because many have accumulated since they opened the doors around 10am and begun boarding around 11-1130.

Then they call zone 2, then 3, etc...

Here is where open boarding comes in. 

If they call zone 12 for instance, but downstairs they are handing out zone 12 or 13 maybe, they call open boarding. This means that after your passport is scanned you go through security go upstairs and into the ship. 

You've seen this and heard many times from people here that are not priority or fttf that they were on the ship in 10 minutes, this is why. 

If there is a some delay after open boarding begins, they will reinstate the zones. Real examples include really bad weather and the gangway is temporarily unsafe or someone has fallen on the gangway and is injured.

Open boarding begins when people are no longer accumulating in the terminal. If it's a slow start, they may call open boarding 20=30 minutes after they begin boarding. On a busy day, or in case of any delays, they may go through nearly every zone. 

Please feel free to ask for further clarification if you sincerely want to understand this process. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

How often have you heard open boarding? I have never heard that from anyone before or heard it personally. Granted, I have been Platinum for awhile so I would never be in the terminal if/ when this happens. 

Being priority, if you arrive early you would never hear it. If you arrive after boarding begins it would be a heck of a coincidence that you're passing through when they are announcing it.

Oh, and see above for more details on how it works.

Edited by Lottacruises

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I've never been on a cruise where they have just said open boarding and everyone in the waiting area was able to walk on the ship.  I am curious what port does this and at what time they announce open boarding and stop calling the boarding groups.

That's not exactly the way it works, see above.

Open boarding will begin when they call zones and hardly anyone goes up, meaning they are loading the ship faster than people are coming into the terminal. The time varies greatly.

1 minute ago, Lottacruises said:

That's not exactly the way it works, see above.

Open boarding will begin when they call zones and hardly anyone goes up, meaning they are loading the ship faster than people are coming into the terminal. The time varies greatly.

Right.  But what time did they call open boarding and at what port for your personal experiences?

Edited by TNcruising02

See the longer version a few posts up. The extremes  that I have seen personally is 11:30 earliest and 3:00ish at the latest.

If you walk through the terminal and there is not a large amount of people waiting then open boarding has already started. If you walk through and there's massive amounts then it hasn't. 

Granted on every cruise there are those that for whatever reason wait around in the terminal even after they can board.

Edited by Lottacruises

I can see them calling for open boarding at 3:00.  That makes sense.  However, I can't see them calling open boarding at 11:30 with hundreds of people sitting in the waiting area.  It makes sense that they would continue calling the boarding zones.  Maybe that was a cruise that had few people show up early.  I have never been on a cruise like that.

21 hours ago, JFasbender said:

We have always completely disregarded the check-in time and arrive between 10:30 and 11:00 and have had no problems usually being some of the first on the ship.  We are gold, so we don't usually have priority boarding unless we book a suite.  YMMV.

This is part of the problem, disregarding check in times and people showing up whenever they want. The system will work avoiding long lines if everyone shows up at appointed time. 

Pat

• Like 1

Wow... have things changed since my last cruise in 2007.   Zones ?...  Check-in time ?... FTTF ?... Diamond and Platinum ?

In 2007, there were only two priority groups...  Wedding Parties were #1, followed by folks who had 10 or more cruises under their belt... AKA, the VIP's.

The rest of us worked thru this scenario: 

You arrived anytime you wished -- earlier was best because that put you in the front of the boarding line.  Getting to the ship late did not always work... I've been on a cruise that did not start boarding until after 1:00 due to Customs not releasing the ship.   

Arriving, you pulled up to the luggage drop-off with the porters... they would look you up on their passenger list and make sure you had correctly tagged your luggage with the tags Carnival sent you through snail-mail.  No self printed luggage tags and packing tape.

Then you walked down to the ship's terminal entrance and sat down and waited for the ship to be cleared by customs and their drug sniffing dogs.  I will say, that there was a lot to gaze at sitting out in the heat (sometimes a shady spot) waiting… the drug sniffing dogs... trash being unloaded from the ships... piles of pallets full of fresh and frozen food sitting out, waiting to be brought on board after the drug sniffing dogs were done sniffing the steaks.

Finally, they would call for the Wedding Parties... there was additional wait time for this as photos were taken before they boarded.  Next was the VIP's.  

And finally, they would start letting the little people 😂 in.  Now here is where my memory gets fuzzy.  I'm pretty sure that they had separate lines based on the first letter of your last name.  This was just to initially check you in... make sure you had your paperwork, ID, Passport/BC, etc., take a photo, and provide you your boarding pass and S&S cards.  After check in, you joined another line... I believe it was the security line.  Also, while in the line, they would take your first photo-shoot... you would stand with a background of the ship or life-savors behind you and then, 'Click-flash'.

Once you make it to the Security check-point, Security would then check for smuggled booze, scan your luggage, etc. and send you thru to the next security person who then checked your ID, Passport/BC, and boarding pass.  

And then finally, you made your way thru the gangways and onto the ship.

It was an Disneyland "A" ticket experience... 

• Like 1