Should I Be Concerned? Safety

OhMyLard

On 8/10/2019 at 9:38 AM, snowskier said:

No concern with safety but a tip for flying Copa -- should have known this but didn't even think about it.

We paid for an "emergency exit row seat" -- no kids allowed in this row is the reason. Didn't even think about the fact that one has to speak Spanish to sit in the exit row. Just like U.S. based airlines require people in this row to speak English. Lesson learned. Flight attendants have the option of moving you if you don't speak fluent Spanish. If there is an emergency all instructions will be in Spanish.  

We spent a couple weeks in Panama, including Colon with no problem and didn't see a reason for concern. Doesn't mean it is 100% safe but we were never uncomfortable. 

Hmmm.  I have sat in the exit row of a number of airlines, where the crews' first language is not English.  Every time, the briefing was in English. 

Same here...all over Europe, Asia, Central and South America.  Never not had english instructions though a few times it was a recording.

For the life of me I do not understand why some people think that their own country (and airlines) are so safe compared to other countries.  It is often not a fair assumption.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 11:56 PM, clo said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/panama-travel-advisory.html

"Exercise normal caution."    Come on, people.  Get over this fear or stop traveling.

The OP asked a legitimate question.  It is unkind and inconsiderate to judge, minimize, criticize, berate, or ridicule that person for their question.  We are here to help and your tactics are anything but.

• Like 3

On 8/9/2019 at 11:13 PM, blloydtbird said:

As others have mentioned, Panama City is quite safe.  You should not be concerned at all in terms of general safety in the City. 

MOST areas of Panama City are safe for tourists using normal awareness and street smarts.  Just like some cities in our USA have some sketchy neighborhoods, Panama City has a few of its own where drugs and gangs seem to rule.

We stayed in Panama City for a few days, as well as visiting the ex pat area of Rio Hata and Playa Farallon up the Pacific Coast for longer stays of a week and then 10 days.  Drove all over, went to local restaurants and were certainly off the tourist grid in some areas but never had a safety issue come up.

Does everyone realize that Panama City has one of the most striking skylines in North America?  The skyscrapers there make some wonderful backdrops for picture taking, rivaling some of our larger cities...

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 6:35 PM, OhMyLard said:

I am thinking about doing a partial World Cruise with Cruise & Maritime Voyages on the Columbus, embarking in Colón (Panama) and disembarking in Auckland, NZ.  My concern is flying from Tampa, Florida  to Panama City, Panama via Copa Airlines, over night in Panama City and taking a taxi to the ship the next day to Colon.  Should I be concerned with respect to safety with Copa Airlines, Hotel in Panama City and Taxi to the ship the next day?

I would want to make sure the taxi or transport from Panama City to Colon is licensed and insured, and that it drops off directly in front of the cruise terminal..

4 minutes ago, evandbob said:

MOST areas of Panama City are safe for tourists using normal awareness and street smarts.  Just like some cities in our USA have some sketchy neighborhoods, Panama City has a few of its own where drugs and gangs seem to rule.

We stayed in Panama City for a few days, as well as visiting the ex pat area of Rio Hata and Playa Farallon up the Pacific Coast for longer stays of a week and then 10 days.  Drove all over, went to local restaurants and were certainly off the tourist grid in some areas but never had a safety issue come up.

Does everyone realize that Panama City has one of the most striking skylines in North America?  The skyscrapers there make some wonderful backdrops for picture taking, rivaling some of our larger cities...

Fair assessment, and agreed. Panama City looks remarkably similar to Hong Kong in some ways given all of the development on the coast 

3D9B927A-7D40-4065-A05D-0192F0D7EBF2.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SRF said:

Hmmm.  I have sat in the exit row of a number of airlines, where the crews' first language is not English.  Every time, the briefing was in English. 

3 hours ago, iancal said:

Same here...all over Europe, Asia, Central and South America.  Never not had english instructions though a few times it was a recording.

I suggest each of you go back and read what I wrote -- specifically the words "If there is an emergency all instructions will be in Spanish".   Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the briefing which is in both English and Spanish on Copa. The briefing is not repeated in an emergency -- I have had to evacuate a plane in an emergency, the pilot and crew did not repeat the briefing, instead they gave us evacuation instructions. I was very happy I understood the language the pilot and crew used, I was happy those in the emergency exit row (me) understood the language as well so I didn't open the door right into the fire.  Therefore I respect Copa and U.S. airlines for caring about my safety. 

CC is so frustrating - I was trying to be helpful in relaying my experience and immediately others need to pile on with how wrong I am. They don't even care they totally misread what I wrote. Typical CC but frustrating.  But I am happy to provide the opportunity for some to let everyone know how many places (or in this case how few places) they have flown.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

The OP asked a legitimate question.  It is unkind and inconsiderate to judge, minimize, criticize, berate, or ridicule that person for their question.  We are here to help and your tactics are anything but.

Yes.  And it got answered.  And then some.  I'm beginning to figure out that some people who cruise may not be very brave.  I'm beginning to figure out why some people stick with certain routes.

7 hours ago, snowskier said:

I suggest each of you go back and read what I wrote -- specifically the words "If there is an emergency all instructions will be in Spanish".   Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the briefing which is in both English and Spanish on Copa. The briefing is not repeated in an emergency -- I have had to evacuate a plane in an emergency, the pilot and crew did not repeat the briefing, instead they gave us evacuation instructions. I was very happy I understood the language the pilot and crew used, I was happy those in the emergency exit row (me) understood the language as well so I didn't open the door right into the fire.  Therefore I respect Copa and U.S. airlines for caring about my safety. 

CC is so frustrating - I was trying to be helpful in relaying my experience and immediately others need to pile on with how wrong I am. They don't even care they totally misread what I wrote. Typical CC but frustrating.  But I am happy to provide the opportunity for some to let everyone know how many places (or in this case how few places) they have flown.

Never been told this either.

I am not saying you are wrong.  I am saying that my experience has been different, ON OTHER AIRLINES.

Maybe if you want to hang out online, you might not want to be so thin skinned.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:30 AM, clo said:

You must know my point.  Why Panama?  Recently on the South America board someone was talking about how dangerous Buenos Aires is.  Well, it's not  And a quick google will tell us that and more.

Clo, people unfamiliar with something might actually hazard asking a question here on CC.  A friendly response is always appropriate and well received.   

• Like 2

On 8/13/2019 at 6:55 AM, SRF said:

Me too.  And on many where the briefing was in more than one language.   But I would not be surprised if for flights outside of tourist areas or not heavily used by english speaking passengers,  only the local language would be used.  I don't know for the flight in question.     

23 hours ago, snowskier said:

I'm going off topic here for a moment.  Many years ago I on an SWA flight.   I was sitting in the aisle exit row seat.  Guy in the window seat was missing one leg.  Flight attendant didn't notice.  Or maybe decided not to notice.  IDK.     

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

Clo, people unfamiliar with something might actually hazard asking a question here on CC.  A friendly response is always appropriate and well received.   

First or second, the OP seemed to have some issues.  But, for me anyway, more importantly, is that there seem to be issues on this site about, for example, Mexico, Panama and Argentina.  I just wonder if there's a bias for this part of the world.  I hope not but I do see this generally.  My (this time) humble opinion.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, clo said:

First or second, the OP seemed to have some issues.  But, for me anyway, more importantly, is that there seem to be issues on this site about, for example, Mexico, Panama and Argentina.  I just wonder if there's a bias for this part of the world.  I hope not but I do see this generally.  My (this time) humble opinion.

I believe you are overthinking this.  They are just asking if there are safety concerns.  I don't think there is any more to it than that.   

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I believe you are overthinking this.  They are just asking if there are safety concerns.  I don't think there is any more to it than that.   

But they don't seem to ask about Paris, Rome, Tokyo, and on and on.  And the one about Buenos Aires is simply not true.  At least no more true than any other good sized city.  If we'd like to help these people then let's not scare 'em when there's no or little need.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, clo said:

But they don't seem to ask about Paris, Rome, Tokyo, and on and on.  And the one about Buenos Aires is simply not true.  At least no more true than any other good sized city.  If we'd like to help these people then let's not scare 'em when there's no or little need.

I disagree about Buenos Aires. Some parts of the city are worrying. Before I retired, I would go to week-long international meetings of a group several times a year. Most were in North America, Asia and Europe (moving around to areas most of our attendees come from spread the burden of travel), but we also had one in Buenos Aires.

There was a board for attendees to share info about the location and experiences while there to help each other out. There were a number of reports of problems - more than we had in other cities including Chicago, Yokohama and Paris. Most were the scam where someone squirts a victim's back on the street with something that looks like bird dropping and a confederate rushes up to help clean it off so that the distracted victim's wallet can be lifted, but there was also one incident where a person was held up at gun point in a park near the meeting venue. 

I still walked from my hotel to the meeting venue (at least during daylight), but I was careful to be alert to my surroundings and I avoided going near the park.

It is in many ways a very nice city. We had some really good meals there including an unassuming restaurant that we stumbled upon when the one we intended to visit turned out to be closed. But my experience was that crime was higher than most places we visit. Perhaps there was less distance between some nice areas and some dodgy ones than in some other cities. I would visit there as a tourist, but would exercise more caution than usual.

49 minutes ago, clo said:

Just about every response on this thread indicated safety was not an issue to be especially concerned with for the places about.  I may have missed it, but no one said anything really scary that I read.    If you know the place to be safe or know certain areas to avoid, (which would be especially helpful) then help the OP by sharing that.  

BTW, Don't know about Tokyo, but I've been cautioned and have cautioned others about pickpockets in Rome and Paris.    Also very recently posted and read someone else's post about being assaulted in Rome.   

PS: My post crossed NewCruiser's post about their personal experience in Buenos Aires.  

Edited by ldubs

8 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

I would visit there as a tourist, but would exercise more caution than usual.

When someone replies I honestly go in search of reputable info.  And I'm just not finding it.  As I mentioned upthread we got the bird poop pickpocket experience...in Barcelona...on a quiet residential street...not dressed like tourists.  For over 40 years I've had the personal safety motto of "don't be where you shouldn't be when you shouldn't be there."  We only spent a few days in BA last year so are looking forward to more at the end of our cruise.  I wish everyone well.

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Also very recently posted and read someone else's post about being assaulted in Rome.

I guess part of my point is that I don't seem to see posts from people who are worries about being assaulted in other countries.  Is it some kind of "South of the Border" thing?

Folks, I'd be hesitant to be too critical of the OP.  Let's not pretend as though every place in the world is Singapore or Tokyo (both incredibly safe places and my favorites to visit).  I've been to some of the safest places in the world and some of the seediest.  I do search around a bit to ensure I have a general understanding of safety in any country / city I visit.  I would agree that some do potentially overthink safety concerns, but I cannot wrong them. I've "escaped" a sticky situation or two both at home and on the road.  Some places are indeed more dangerous than others.  Can't fault folks for checking.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, clo said:

Tokyo and Hong Kong (minus the current issues) are two of the safest cities.

For most others, they are no more or less safe than most US cities.  Some areas are very safe.  Some areas are really not safe.  But tourist areas tend to be safe (except for pick pockets), as the locals do not want tourists scared away.

Some parts are Paris are bad enough the police do not go there.  But the same used to be true about Washington DC. 😄

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 11:27 AM, SRF said:

COPA used to be a partner of Continental.  Same paint scheme, except the world grid on the tail was white instead of gold.

I have flown COPA several times, and have no issues with them.

OTOH< TACA was HORRIBLE.  They have now merged with Avianca.

COPA is still a Star Alliance member with United et al.