Enhanced Drivers License Needed?

WCAB

12 hours ago, WCAB said:

I am taking my daughters on the California Coastal cruise that goes to Ensenada.  The agent confirmed they could travel with their birth certificate and drivers license 

but neither has obtained the enhanced drivers license as yet.  Does anyone know if the cruise line requires the enhanced copy yet or will their current drivers license

suffice?

Just make sure the State they are in truly has "enhanced" driver's license.  There are only a handful of states that do have this option.  Many think because it has a holograph or star that it is enhanced.  I would travel with original birth certificate and government issued i.d. if you do not have a passport or passport card.

From the US Passport Service web site:

"The states of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington State are currently the only states issuing these enhanced drivers licenses."

As far as the Real ID driver's License, Kentucky's extension ran out the 1st of August and only Oregon, Oklahoma, Kentucky and New Jersey have extensions until 10 October 2019 to become compliant with issuing the new cards.  All other states are presently in compliance of issuing the new card.

DW & I are from Michigan and when we were in St Thomas last February they required additions ID besides our cruise cards to get back on board.  We showed them our Michigan ED and they waved us through.  I noticed many people showed them a photo copy of their passports also.

Just found this at the US Passport Service web site.

"A State-issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) provides travelers not only a license to drive but also a proof of identity and citizenship when exiting and re-entering the United States borders. This is a card under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) that has security features and technology that make travel a lot easier and safer. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative to a passport for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive. The states of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington State are currently the only states issuing these enhanced drivers licenses. This license cannot be used for air travel in any of the above mentioned countries."

1 hour ago, ED49404 said:

DW & I are from Michigan and when we were in St Thomas last February they required additions ID besides our cruise cards to get back on board.  We showed them our Michigan ED and they waved us through.  I noticed many people showed them a photo copy of their passports also.

Wow, that is a change.  Did Princess mention this prior to getting off?  They do mention to bring a picture ID, but that's about all I've ever been asked to bring... and luckily never asked for.  Only flashed our cruise card.  Next cruise, we'll have the medallion, so I wonder how port security changes.   Fortunately, it'll be in place for some time when we visit in February.☺️

19 hours ago, WCAB said:

I am taking my daughters on the California Coastal cruise that goes to Ensenada.  The agent confirmed they could travel with their birth certificate and drivers license 

but neither has obtained the enhanced drivers license as yet.  Does anyone know if the cruise line requires the enhanced copy yet or will their current drivers license

suffice?

The enhanced driver's license is NOT required for a person going on a cruise  that allows for a birth certificate to be used for ID (e.g. Mexico or Canada). A regular driver's license is okay.

Tom

18 hours ago, Potstech said:

After that date many may find they can not board a domestic flight. Either EDL, Real ID or passport.  Will not be humorous for those told they can not take their flights when they go to check in.

Global Entry ID cards are another form of ID that is accepted for domestic flights.

Edited by beg3yrs
clarified it's good for domestic flights.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Wow, that is a change.  Did Princess mention this prior to getting off?  They do mention to bring a picture ID, but that's about all I've ever been asked to bring... and luckily never asked for.  Only flashed our cruise card.  Next cruise, we'll have the medallion, so I wonder how port security changes.   Fortunately, it'll be in place for some time when we visit in February.☺️

Princess did not mention anything about taking any additional ID.  I also have been wondering how the new medallion system will work while trying to enter a port.  DW & I will be taking a copy of our passport and as usual our ED"s. 

4 hours ago, ED49404 said:

Princess did not mention anything about taking any additional ID.  I also have been wondering how the new medallion system will work while trying to enter a port.  DW & I will be taking a copy of our passport and as usual our ED"s. 

The lack of notification is a change from the past.  We've ported in St. Thomas 3 times in the past 10 years and there has always been a warning on the front page (IIRC) of the Patter that a government ID in addition to your cruise card was required for re-boarding.  We've also had that requirement in either Dominica or Grenada (can't remember which one).

On 8/5/2019 at 5:12 PM, idahospud said:

Regular drivers license is ok. Do make sure the birth certificates are originals, not copies. 

On a side note, I was in DMV last month (in Boise) to get my new drivers license. The line and wait time were horrendous. Hours long. 

I wanted the new license here in California. I had initially checked on getting an appointment and the soonest I could get was about 2 months away so I just took the chance and went in early one day. Showed up half an hour before the office opened. Waited until the doors opened and was sent right to a window. Quick and easy. A bit mind boggling actually.

On 8/5/2019 at 5:28 PM, satxdiver said:

The "original" BC can be an official copy with the state stamp on it which usually is a colored stamp.  If your children have changed their last name (female marriage), they will need a document which usually is a marriage certificate but from what I have read on CC they very seldom ask for it.  

Interesting that the feds are going to require a Real ID sometime after October 2020.  I doubt most states will make the deadline.  As far as I know TX has not started issuing them with perhaps 15 million or more DL's issued.  All will have to be changed. We will see about the "deadline". 

Texas started issuing Real IDs in October of 2016.

Even their own state website says that you will have to have a Real ID compliant form of identification to travel starting in October of 2020.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/federalRealIdAct.htm

12 hours ago, capriccio said:

The lack of notification is a change from the past.  We've ported in St. Thomas 3 times in the past 10 years and there has always been a warning on the front page (IIRC) of the Patter that a government ID in addition to your cruise card was required for re-boarding.  We've also had that requirement in either Dominica or Grenada (can't remember which one).

That is why DW & I as well we recommend to any of our guest that we have with us carry their driver license with them at all ports we visit.  Now we will carry a copy of our passports for a backup.  For all the years we have been cruising I have never heard of any passenger being held back because of lack of ID. 

I have always heard a loud speaker notification prior to disembarking at a port telling everyone that they need to take both their cruise card and an additional government issued id (with picture) when exiting the ship in order to return back through the port security gate.

1 hour ago, ED49404 said:

That is why DW & I as well we recommend to any of our guest that we have with us carry their driver license with them at all ports we visit.  Now we will carry a copy of our passports for a backup.  For all the years we have been cruising I have never heard of any passenger being held back because of lack of ID. 

Saw it happen one time at a port I can not remember. All the lady's ID was on the ship and her husband was no where to be found.  The security personnel would not let her into the secure area and she was told that no one on the ship would be available for at least an hour to get her passport out of her safe.  She would have to sign a permission form and then they would be able to get it for her.  Never did find out what happened.  It was the county's police refusing her entry not Princess staff.

Two different issues here.

What do you need if the cruise goes as planned?  What do you need if you have to fly back from mid-cruise?

Planning for just the first is asking to get stuck with the second.

• Like 1

WI issues the real ID and has for several years. When my wife's came up for renewal last month, she asked if could be used to go to Canada without a Passport. She was told no, only the states with the enhanced ID, not necessarily the real ID qualify. Apparently only a few of the border states have it.

52 minutes ago, TravelingEA said:

WI issues the real ID and has for several years. When my wife's came up for renewal last month, she asked if could be used to go to Canada without a Passport. She was told no, only the states with the enhanced ID, not necessarily the real ID qualify. Apparently only a few of the border states have it.

Yes, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington.

Tom