Changes coming to Mariner cruise planner

Royal's IT department isn't known for their legendary coding skills, so I wouldn't expect this to be something they can change quickly or competently!

I love Royal dearly on the shipboard side, but shoreside leaves a LOT to be desired!

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, dswallow said:

FYI, that date appears to be a charter...

Caribbean Classic Country & Bluegrass Cruise

January 20-24,2020

Mariner of the Seas

There's a Facebook group for it (just search for the name) and it appears to have had artwork posted for the cruise ads around March 2019.

Also found another reference for a charter on Mariner for January 13-17, 2020...

Danny' Stewart's Bluegrass Cruise

January 13-17, 2020

Mariner of the Seas

Who knows. But it does seem there's some sort of charter activity coming if not already confirmed.

Aw crap....

6 hours ago, thepants said:

For some, booking b2b pushes them to next category faster for crown and anchor points since it's two cruises and not one long one.

How does either way affect the number of points you get? The number of days is all that matters whether it is one cruise or two.

Edit: Never mind, I see this was already covered.

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

How does either way affect the number of points you get? The number of days is all that matters whether it is one cruise or two.

They last cruised on Royal back when it was "one point per cruise" instead of "per day".

14 hours ago, thepants said:

Aw crap....

I wouldn't be too alarmed yet.  It might just be a partial charter or a large group.  And not necessarily a full ship charter.  I'm worried about the same thing on the April 6 Navigator sailing.

14 minutes ago, Case1096 said:

I wouldn't be too alarmed yet.  It might just be a partial charter or a large group.  And not necessarily a full ship charter.  I'm worried about the same thing on the April 6 Navigator sailing.

Iisaw in my roll call group that they got word from RCCL that our January 20 cruise was not being chartered and it was just a placeholder on on the app so they can finish the website and app updates for our sailing. Right now I'm waiting for my travel agent to get back so he can look into our booking. We just paid our final balance too. 

Edited by thepants

2 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

What happens when the sailing you’ve already booked ends up being a partially chartered ship, with a group that you would rather not be on the same cruise with?

Hope they don’t intrude into your vacation or take a loss on any change/cancel fees. 

15 hours ago, dswallow said:

FYI, that date appears to be a charter...

Caribbean Classic Country & Bluegrass Cruise

January 20-24,2020

Mariner of the Seas

There's a Facebook group for it (just search for the name) and it appears to have had artwork posted for the cruise ads around March 2019.

Also found another reference for a charter on Mariner for January 13-17, 2020...

Danny' Stewart's Bluegrass Cruise

January 13-17, 2020

Mariner of the Seas

Who knows. But it does seem there's some sort of charter activity coming if not already confirmed.

We are on the Jan 13th cruise (not thru Danny Stewart)  Must be a partial charter- only 12 going according to what I saw on FB

Probably part of this reprogramming issue is because the Mariner and the Navigator will have the exact same ports of calls at the same time.  So RCCL IT needs to figure out how to program excursion inventory to be available at the same time on two sailings.  So I guess it's easier to take down the sailings for new bookings during the process than complicate matters by having things change with new reservations.

8 hours ago, Case1096 said:

Partial charters and big groups can be a pain too. One sailing we were on Allure with a big group and on a beautiful sea day they shut down the solarium at 2 or 3 PM for the group to have a group function. That is probably the most intrusive use of a public venue that I have ever encountered by a group. I think it was a very poor decision on the part of the ship's staff.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Partial charters and big groups can be a pain too. One sailing we were on Allure with a big group and on a beautiful sea day they shut down the solarium at 2 or 3 PM for the group to have a group function. That is probably the most intrusive use of a public venue that I have ever encountered by a group. I think it was a very poor decision on the part of the ship's staff.

We were on a bad partial charter once too, on MSC it was a Heavy Metal partial charter.  It was absolutely terrible.  Our DD was an infant at the time and we couldn't sleep.  We complained and the response from Guest Services was "It's their Cruise too"  I wrote to the CEO afterwards and he was even less empathetic (such a lousy operation the actual CEO responded to me, not his admin or some exec customer service).  They had the nerve to send me a voucher for a future cruise!  That went right in the trash and we have never set foot on another MSC ship, we also tell all our friends how bad they are!  

1 minute ago, gatour said:

Disney has done this a few times for their private island

Correct, but Disney to my knowledge has never put two ships on the island at the same time.  Or if they did it was the Magic and the Wonder.  RCCL is going to put the Mariner and Navigator at Coco Cay at the same time.  

9 minutes ago, Case1096 said:

Correct, but Disney to my knowledge has never put two ships on the island at the same time.  Or if they did it was the Magic and the Wonder.  RCCL is going to put the Mariner and Navigator at Coco Cay at the same time.  

As others have posted it really was not a big deal with 2 ships now that the construction is done 

It’s been a week since I got the e-mail, but nothing since.

No further e-mail, my cruise date has not re-appeared for bookings, and I still can’t log into my sailing on the app.

The IT dept def is not on the ball with this...

7 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

It’s been a week since I got the e-mail, but nothing since.

No further e-mail, my cruise date has not re-appeared for bookings, and I still can’t log into my sailing on the app.

The IT dept def is not on the ball with this...

They've always had a horrible IT department.  I look at the Quantum launch which was supposed to be a technological marvel.  It was one of the most messed up ship launches in the company's history.  I'm sure they lost loyal customers.  They came very close to losing us, but two years later we decided to give them another shot.  Their IT department is costing them customers.

10 minutes ago, Case1096 said:

They've always had a horrible IT department.  I look at the Quantum launch which was supposed to be a technological marvel.  It was one of the most messed up ship launches in the company's history.  I'm sure they lost loyal customers.  They came very close to losing us, but two years later we decided to give them another shot.  Their IT department is costing them customers.

It blows my mind.  I work in IT and we develop software.  When we have a deployment, it is scheduled starting at midnight and we need to be done no later than 5am with systems back up and running.  We don't develop during this time and "figure things out".  We are simply deploying the changes and validating that everything looks good.  Minimal downtime, and when people aren't affected. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

It blows my mind.  I work in IT and we develop software.  When we have a deployment, it is scheduled starting at midnight and we need to be done no later than 5am with systems back up and running.  We don't develop during this time and "figure things out".  We are simply deploying the changes and validating that everything looks good.  Minimal downtime, and when people aren't affected. 

Not sure if you were on the Quantum during launch, but what a miserable technological failure.  Worst RCCL cruise we've ever been on!  We've avoided the Anthem as well for that very reason, and it's right in our backyard.  I'd rather fly to Florida.  But we're taking a leap of faith next year to try the Anthem!

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 1:35 PM, luv2trvl said:

I am booked on the April 6 four night cruise and got the email yesterday.  I just checked my reservation and can't get into the cruise planner but my itinerary now shows 

4 Nt Bahamas With 2 Stops At Perfect Day

1. ORLANDO (PORT CANAVERAL), FL 
  2. PERFECT DAY COCOCAY, BAHAMAS 
  3. NASSAU, BAHAMAS 
  4. PERFECT DAY COCOCAY, BAHAMAS

On 8/8/2019 at 6:02 AM, snowglobe said:

Well, we got the e-mail and the mystery deepens...

Our Dec 7th 2020 sailing - 4 nts - on Mariner has simply vanished from the RCCL website altogether, as have ALL the Mariner cruises between Nov 30th and Dec. 24th 2020.

Drydock? Refit? At least 6 consecutive full-ship charters?? 

We are also on the Dec. 7, 2020 sailing, but did not get an e-mail.  I just went to the cruise planner to see if there were any new shore excursions and saw the message that luv2trvl posted.  Could not access the cruise planner.  We love our sea days, so are not happy that it was taken from us.