San Diego airport - top ranking

DAllenTCY

Can’t count the number of times I’ve flown in and out of San Diego.  My late in-laws lived in San Diego so from 1981 to 1996 when they moved to Portland.  We visited at least once a year and sometimes as much as three times a year.  Always heard it was, from at least a pilot’s point of view, one of the more dangerous airports because of the approach and the short runway.   It was weird to literally fly between buildings on the approach and see people watching you land from their offices.   From a passenger point of view it always seemed easy to get in and out of and I much preferred it to Dulles or Reagan in Northern Virginia where I was living most of the time during those years.

Agree that the SD Airport is in a great location for travelers and is very easy to navigate through.  They certainly can't say the same about San Diego Cruise Port ... one of the worst organizationally anywhere !

• Like 3

Don't know how they judge these things but I do not like that airport. The TSA agents are by far the most arrogant that I have ever encountered. One hand does not know what the other is doing. Do not care about airport amenities, just need a safe, quick in and out. Clearly lacking in San Diego.

I had a connection at the Phoenix one and felt like I'd traversed the entire state to get from one gate to another.  It is very spread out!  Some of those other top airports are ones I'd rate a lot lower on my personal scale.

I am partial to National here in DC because I live about 10 minutes from it and it is very close to downtown.  They're about to ruin some of its charms by moving most of the individual security checkpoints to a single place further from the gates.  That means more walking and longer lines, no matter how they try to spin it.   

I love when the airport is close to the city center.  Austin used to be that way.  Then they built a new one further south and now it takes twice as long to get anywhere (though the airport itself is very nice).  And, of course, the Denver airport is practically in Kansas.  Dulles here in the DC area is also quite a drive unless you already live out that way (more and more people do).