Past Passenger Party

lottiegreen56

As some of you know, I've got a few friends in management at Carnival and Royal. I can't give specifics because I don't think that it is anywhere near set in stone but I was just complaining to my friend about my last VIFP Gift and how the status isn't really worth much. He said that they were going to do some revamping to make it harder to make platinum and diamond but they were going to bring back the past passenger party (or some version of it). 

Having done the platinum and diamond parties and past passenger parties over the years, I have to say, I'd welcome this. They used to be so much better when they were more inclusive imo. What does the peanut gallery think of this idea? No clue if or when it will come to fruition but it's exciting news.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

As some of you know, I've got a few friends in management at Carnival and Royal. I can't give specifics because I don't think that it is anywhere near set in stone but I was just complaining to my friend about my last VIFP Gift and how the status isn't really worth much. He said that they were going to do some revamping to make it harder to make platinum and diamond but they were going to bring back the past passenger party (or some version of it). 

Having done the platinum and diamond parties and past passenger parties over the years, I have to say, I'd welcome this. They used to be so much better when they were more inclusive imo. What does the peanut gallery think of this idea? No clue if or when it will come to fruition but it's exciting news.

Believe it when I see it but it won't make a difference if they don't enforce the rules

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

So it sounds like what you are saying is that, the more loyal the Carnival customer is over time, the fewer the rewards they might expect for her/him for being that loyal Carnival customer. Is that correct? IMHO making it harder for a proven Carnival repeat customer to achieve a  loyalty status(with the associated benefits) with proven benefits and rewards is counterproductive to keeping those loyal customers, don't you think? I'm obviously missing something here. Help me out.

• Like 4

I think when they start to change things people are going to complain - not much of a surprise.  I would be very upset if I was close to platinum and they changed the program to make it more nights. They would have come up with something very much out of the box to make the masses happy. I personally would rather my little gift, my platinum party and whatever I have now than a past guest party. 

• Like 3

Hi

I don't see a "past passenger" party working. The reason they limited it to start was because there were just too many people. Well now, there would be even more. They would need hold it in the theatre. I don't think that would allow for much of a party atmosphere. 

I think a few more details would be needed to even speculate.  

• Like 2

I have heard (and posted on this site previously) similar comments about a fairly significant change to the VIFP Program. The biggest thing I have heard, which you didn’t mention, is they would not grandfather anyone once the new program is implemented. Although I know this will upset quite a few people, I think it’s necessary for any change to improve things. Right now there are way too many Platinums. When it gets to the point where so many people have priority on a cruise, no one really has priority. The bottom line is right now it is too easy to make Platinum, which the.number of current Platinums easily proves. 

I don’t see how they can have a past passenger party. That goes against everything I have heard about why Carnival is planning to change their VIFP Program. How can you have a party for possibly 3,000 or more passengers?  That doesn’t make sense to me.  

• Like 1

Increasing the number of days to reach platinum status is one thing, but taking away platinum status from somebody who has earned it is a very negative thing to do. As far as a party, it doesn't sound like something I would be interested in.  I like the perks they already have and think they are fine.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Increasing the number of days to reach platinum status is one thing, but taking away platinum status from somebody who has earned it is a very negative thing to do. As far as a party, it doesn't sound like something I would be interested in.  I like the perks they already have and think they are fine.

There's a history with Carnival kicking guests down a peg. They took us from gold back to red just so they wouldn't have to invite us to the appreciation party. I predict there will be many, many upset guests who are currently platinum who will be bucked down to gold. Ourselves included. 

The appreciation event on Holland America should be called the Passed Guest Party 😉

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

There's a history with Carnival kicking guests down a peg. They took us from gold back to red just so they wouldn't have to invite us to the appreciation party. I predict there will be many, many upset guests who are currently platinum who will be bucked down to gold. Ourselves included. 

Yeah, that's going to be a tough one.  Changing the rules after someone has crossed the finish line is very sleazy.  Taking away an earned benefit doesn't go over well. I can understand making it more difficult to earn a benefit, but taking it away after it is legitimately earned is just wrong.  It would be better for them to add an extra status and move some of the benefits up.

• Like 4

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

It would be better for them to add an extra status and move some of the benefits up.

Our PVP told us over a year ago now that there was talk of doing what you suggest and adding a level above diamond requiring many more sea days. I asked them if it would be called Carnival Death. 🙂

• Haha 1

Dang.  I'm turning Gold on my next cruise, and have five more booked.  How much lower could Gold go if they change the perks?  I think, if I read correctly I get one free drink on the last day of my 7+ day cruise and a pin?  With my Cheers that means zero.  So I guess they could take away the pin?  I'm so upset.....not.  I think I'll just enjoy my cruises and not worry about it.  Helloooo Bermuda!  See ya at the end of next month!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lottiegreen56 said:

I was just complaining to my friend about my last VIFP Gift and how the status isn't really worth much. He said that they were going to do some revamping to make it harder to make platinum and diamond but they were going to bring back the past passenger party (or some version of it). 

What does the peanut gallery think of this idea? 

Let's hope Carnival doesn't crack the shell.....

Pics-Art-08-08-10-46-06.jpg

😊

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have heard (and posted on this site previously) similar comments about a fairly significant change to the VIFP Program. The biggest thing I have heard, which you didn’t mention, is they would not grandfather anyone once the new program is implemented. Although I know this will upset quite a few people, I think it’s necessary for any change to improve things. Right now there are way too many Platinums. When it gets to the point where so many people have priority on a cruise, no one really has priority. The bottom line is right now it is too easy to make Platinum, which the.number of current Platinums easily proves. 

I don’t see how they can have a past passenger party. That goes against everything I have heard about why Carnival is planning to change their VIFP Program. How can you have a party for possibly 3,000 or more passengers?  That doesn’t make sense to me.  

I can't wait for them to change it. There are way too many "priority" folks and it will take a serious reduction in that number for us to go back to enjoying the few benefits offered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I became Platinum right before they changed the requirements from cruises taken to days days sailed. We knew it was coming so we booked our 10th cruise before the date the changes would go into effect. I guess I've been Platinum for around 8 years at least. I would be BEYOND angry if they "demoted" me at this point. Taking my 17th Carnival cruise in October. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I don't see a "past passenger" party working. The reason they limited it to start was because there were just too many people. Well now, there would be even more. They would need hold it in the theatre. I don't think that would allow for much of a party atmosphere. 

I think a few more details would be needed to even speculate.  

They always are held in the theater.  At least all of the ones that we've went to have been in the theater.

• Like 1

I can’t believe how much people will dedicate themselves or be so loyal to Carnival, or any line for that matter, and get so little in return. The higher you are solely on Carnival is also a reflection on how much you have missed out on elsewhere. Forget variety, aim for that 99 cent lanyard and 30 cent bottle of water. Past guest party would be along the same line as being distinguished as you would be at a past guest party at McDonalds. Nobody cares ...... 

My last Carnival cruise was aboard the Fantasy and the Platinum/Diamond party was held at one of the smaller lounges. They had a nice selection of quality beers and wines at a table, and waiters would take orders for custom drinks. Officers were present for the entire party, and the Captain and Cruise Director took the time to sit down with some guests and chat for a while. Nice, intimate party, and in my opinion, the way that it should be.

In comparison, our previous Carnival cruise was years earlier aboard the Dream before the changes were implemented and that one was held at the main theater, with hundreds and hundreds of guests. Waiters walked around with trays delivering  a selection of 2-3 rather weak cocktails. Officers made an appearance on stage, the Captain made a quick announcement, and everybody walked off the stage five minutes later and left. Not much of a party or true feeling of appreciation. Some guests trampled each other to get to a waiter in order to score an extra drink. Somewhat chaotic and not worth my time. 

These parties don’t really make or break my cruise experience, but I truly appreciated the more intimate setting on our last cruise with a more limited number of guests. 

As the number of Platinum guests swell, I believe that changes to the perks are once again necessary. But I’d rather see this party disappear rather than turn it into what we experienced on the Dream. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 4

I'm not sure when that actually demoted platinum guests to gold. When they last changed their program, they gave a decent period of time for anyone that was close to squeeze in another cruise to hit their 10 required to make Platinum. No one was ever demoted. Now, if it happened before that, I can't say for sure. 

That being said...as the popularity of cruises keeps rising, what are they supposed to do? If everyone is priority, then no one is. With the price of fuel, operating costs, etc., they already have a very slim margin on the cruise fare. Are they supposed to lose money on the fare for loyal guests?  The current Diamond/Platinum party is actually a nice benefit and the priority embarkation/debarkation, along with priority tendering and free laundry is certainly meaningful and I don't understand what exactly people want. And before anyone comes at me with "I have xx cruises with carnival and I deserve___" I have spent over $200,000 with carnival in the last nine years and don't feel like they should give away the store to me. 

Just my two cents. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

The higher you are solely on Carnival is also a reflection on how much you have missed out on elsewhere. 

Interesting  thought.

I Can see how people (including myself) get wrapped up into tacking in days on carnival To become platinum and above... But yes the other lines have a great product as well and I enjoy them as I do Carnival.  The real perk of platinum to me is laundry - I can wait a few moment to get on the ship and if my room isn’t ready when I get on - well that’s the way it is. I would not want to lose my status as I have it now but if they changed the program and bumped me down I would not chase it again.  

When and if it happens - it happens. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Being one whose Platinum level got stretched to 75 days rather than 10 cruises a few years ago, I know that another change would make people unhappy. I also remember the past cruiser party from years ago, in the theatre with people taking 3 and 4 dinky drinks at a time from waiter's trays almost knocking them and fellow cruisers over in the rush. I think what is happening today is just fine and dandy. I like the Diamond/Platinum party, I like the Diamond Lunch, I like the laundry benefits, I like the water and the diamond/platinum gift, and all the other benefits we get. Making changes now will unset an apple cart that has just gotten fixed from the changes that occured in the past. It ain't broken. Do not try to "fix" it again.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise