Get a guaranteed upgrade, be happy with what I've got, or wait for other options.....

I'm currently booked on Harmony in November through a TA with a group rate. I got a nice Oceanview Balcony on deck 6 (6302 or something) near the rear for $899-pp + tax and $100 obc-pp. I've booked 4 excursions, soda, voom, shows for every night, early dinner, and the chops+1 dinner package.... about $3,000 total expected costs... 

Since booking in May there have not been any mini suites, so the suite price has been about triple+ what I paid for a balcony, and I wasn't willing to spend that much.

Just recently 2 mini suites just opened up at $1448 + tax and $135 obc and I'm seriously considering upgrading but had a few questions regarding changing my booking through my TA (I haven't asked him yet but will soon)

1. If I already have $200 obc, would I get the extra $70 (difference between the current and new room) would I get nothing extra, or would I lose anything in regards to OBC? To note I already spent $50 on an excursion the rest won't be available until I'm at sea.

2. Will upgrading change any of the things I have already booked (will I need to cancel and rebook anything)? The original room and upgrade will both be handled by the same TA

3. Our 7 day cruise has 3 port stops. I'm really considering this because of the larger room,  the priority checkin.boarding would be nice too but not worth $1,000

4. I'm pretty sure I saw something about mini suites having pillow top and have seen many complain about the firmness or mattresses in regular rooms on RCI in general. I don't see the pillow top mentioned in the https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-rooms/royal-suite-class for sea class or any other, does anyone know if that is true for Harmony?

5. So we're talking about $1,000 difference between an oceanview Balcony or mini suite on Harmony of the seas. I could always use the extra $1,000, this is my 1st Oasis class cruise and only 3rd cruise ever. I'd like to hear any opinions as to which options they would choose (particularly those with experience in both) and anything I might be missing. To note I don't think I'll be dining in coastal kitchen because we are cruising with friends that like the MDR and don't have a suite. So that perk will most likely be lost.

Thanks in Advance

40 minutes ago, basictek said:

If I already have $200 obc, would I get the extra $70 (difference between the current and new room) would I get nothing extra, or would I lose anything in regards to OBC? To note I already spent $50 on an excursion the rest won't be available until I'm at sea.

If the $200 OBC you already have was OBC from Royal, then it would be replaced with the $270 if that's the new offer from Royal.  If the OBC is a TA perk, you'd have to ask the TA about this.  

42 minutes ago, basictek said:

Will upgrading change any of the things I have already booked (will I need to cancel and rebook anything)? The original room and upgrade will both be handled by the same TA

No..your reservation number and cruise planner (including purchases) will follow you to the new room.

45 minutes ago, basictek said:

. I don't see the pillow top mentioned in the https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-rooms/royal-suite-class for sea class or any other, does anyone know if that is true for Harmony?

I can't tell from that link if the Junior Suites have the fancy "Cappuccino" mattress.  The FAQ reads like it would 

The junior suite will give you a walk-in closet, larger bath with bathtub, larger cabin and balcony, and double points.  It will not give you access to the suite lounge.

We have stayed in both the JS and balcony cabin.  Unless you are spending a lot of time in the cabin, or if the double points are a benefit for you, I would stay with the balcony

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses everyone, I did reach my TA and I will get an additional OBC (the difference) the reservation # won't change so all my scheduled excursions, etc will stay the same. The cost is about $1130 - $90 extra OBC

I guess one extra perk is the suite would count as double C&A points and we'd hit platinum on this cruise instead of our next cruise, which I believe means we would be eligible for discounts on balcony and above cabins in the future.

I'd still like to know the difference on the bed, but over $1000 doesn't quite seem worth it.

If the royalUP comes along, does anyone have a ball park idea of how much it might run to get a JS or better yet a full suite? A JS at $1,000 just doesn't seem worth it to me right now. 

I don't think we will spend a whole lot of time in our room, it's just me and my wife so while the extra 100 sq ft would be nice it's really not necessary  

Edited by basictek
typo

I have not been on Harmony but the balcony cabins on Allure feel small to me, although fine for 2 people and if the bed is by the balcony. The JS would be very nice in terms of room but I don't know if it's worth $1000 more. 

Your schedule seems busy so you will not be in the room a lot except to sleep.

Edited by marci22

Considering all the posts I see on here about the balcony discount being less than the stated amount, you'd probably have to go on 10 cruises just to get savings equal to the 1000 you'd pay to get Platinum sooner. And after 10 cruises you'd probably be Diamond anyways - so definitely no monetary savings reason to pay a grand to get a balcony discount one cruise earlier. 

48 minutes ago, basictek said:

Thanks for the responses everyone, I did reach my TA and I will get an additional OBC (the difference) the reservation # won't change so all my scheduled excursions, etc will stay the same. The cost is about $1130 - $90 extra OBC

I guess one extra perk is the suite would count as double C&A points and we'd hit platinum on this cruise instead of our next cruise, which I believe means we would be eligible for discounts on balcony and above cabins in the future.

I'd still like to know the difference on the bed, but over $1000 doesn't quite seem worth it.

If the royalUP comes along, does anyone have a ball park idea of how much it might run to get a JS or better yet a full suite? A JS at $1,000 just doesn't seem worth it to me right now. 

I don't think we will spend a whole lot of time in our room, it's just me and my wife so while the extra 100 sq ft would be nice it's really not necessary  

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No need to overthink this, you had it right all along.

I thought from the original post that it wasn’t worth it. 

And if you upgrade through RoyalUp, you will not get the extra points. You get the points of your original booking: one per night. 

• Like 1

Maybe if you were going on a smaller ship or if you weren't going to be with friends on the cruise, it *might* be worth it to upgrade. 

But Oasis class is SO huge and has SO much to do, plus you're going to be off doing things with friends a lot.... that thousand bucks is going to be better spent on excursions and souvenirs and a down payment on your next cruise, versus spending it on a Junior Suite's additional real estate.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 10:06 AM, marci22 said:

I have not been on Harmony but the balcony cabins on Allure feel small to me, although fine for 2 people and if the bed is by the balcony. The JS would be very nice in terms of room but I don't know if it's worth $1000 more. 

Your schedule seems busy so you will not be in the room a lot except to sleep.

Balcony cabins on Harmony are awesome

• Like 1