HAL San Diego Hotel?

pete_coach

We are going to fly into Los Angeles for a few days prior to going to San Diego to catch our Panama Canal transit cruise. A few days in LA and another few days in San Diego.

What hotel does HAL use when booking for folks in San Diego? Would we be able to use the HAL shuttle to the ship even though we would book on our own? I find that cruise lines hotel cost quite a bit more than if we booked ourselves.

Why book the HAL hotel and have to use a shuttle to the ship?  There are several hotel right at the cruise terminal.  Springhill Suites, the Bayside, and others are all popular with cruisers out of San Diego.  Look at the West Coast departure threads and you'll find them.  With those hotels, you just walk across the street to the terminal.  If you even took the Amtrak from Los Angeles to San Diego - the train station is right there, also.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are going to fly into Los Angeles for a few days prior to going to San Diego to catch our Panama Canal transit cruise. A few days in LA and another few days in San Diego.
What hotel does HAL use when booking for folks in San Diego? Would we be able to use the HAL shuttle to the ship even though we would book on our own? I find that cruise lines hotel cost quite a bit more than if we booked ourselves.

Not sure what Hotel HAL uses but the Wyndham Bayside has a shuttle bus available to the cruise ships even though it is literally across the street. The Wyndham is circled in this picture . af0f3406ab0fc42648999abe18c2735c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've  stayed at Springhill Suites which is directly across the street from the pier. It was a Very easy walk out of the hotel, down the sidewalk and across the crosswalk and to the luggage drop off outside the terminal. A lot of other passengers were walking with us. We'd definitely do the same next time.

• Thanks 1

Just now, retiretwo said:

We've  stayed at Springhill Suites which is directly across the street from the pier. It was a Very easy walk out of the hotel, down the sidewalk and across the crosswalk and to the luggage drop off outside the terminal. A lot of other passengers were walking with us. We'd definitely do the same next time.

Same here - faster to walk it than take a shuttle I think (due to traffic and turn restrictions).

• Like 1

We stay at the Best Western Yacht Harbor whenever we cruise from San Diego.  They have a shuttle to the pier and we enjoy the dining options across the street at the yacht harbor.

As to booking a hotel HAL uses on your own and hoping to use the HAL shuttle to the pier, forget that....they won't let you.  You will have to go to the airport and catch the paid HAL transfer.  I asked if I could use the HAL shuttle from the Seattle Hilton if I booked on my own and they said I would have to return to the airport and get the transfer there.

Karen

• Thanks 1

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites.  It is within walking distance of Seaport Village with many small shops and restaurants.  It is also within walking distance of Midway and the Fish Market restaurant right next to it.  And you can walk to Ralph's which is a store for all those last minute items you may have forgotten as well as wine.  And Horton Plaza mall.

It is not too far from the pier  or the airport.

The bus stop is right across the Street to get to the Zoo and the Balboa Park.

Holland America's preferred hotel in San Diego is the Sheraton Harbor & Marina across from the airport.  No other property has been used for a few years now.

If you have not booked thru HAL, you will not be afforded the hotel to ship transfer without cost.

David

P.S.  A taxi would be $15.......Rideshare about $12......City bus for seniors $1.10 or regular $2.25.

Many have walked the 2 miles along the harbor front.

Or you can mention to Kay in the hotel lobby that you are a long time friend of mine.  That way it will only be $19.

We also love the Best Western Yacht Harbor, so close and good dinner options and groceries nearby. And very reasonable for a balcony room, free shuttle, 24 hr. coffee etc 

Edited by MogeyMan

The bus is really easy to use. The bus drivers are super friendly. I even used the bus to get from the airport to my hotel! Lots of hotels to pick from-look in the port forum! I'm staying at the Intercontinental on a free night and points. It's right on the harbor, and I will walk my luggage to the ship. 

My favorite cruise hotel is the Best Western on Ash Street, about five blocks away (downhill) from the San Diego port.  A free shuttle is provided by the hotel, CVS drugstore one block away, restaurant on property, free breakfast in the restaurant included, and a shuttle is available for pickup at the airport.

The hotel shuttle is also available to transport and pickup guest from local restaurants near the hotel.

13 hours ago, ORCRUISER said:

I didn’t like the Sheraton because there weren’t any convenient places to eat other than the hotel. I will book one of the hotels near the cruise port if I cruise out of San Diego again.

I was going to say that.  The Sheraton is out there by the airport, but there isn't anything else out there but a few more hotels.  You have to come into downtown to eat.  It's just better to stay downtown in the first place.   The only reason I'd book out at that Sheraton would be 1) I had to be with HAL cruisers or 2) I was given a free room.  

• 3 weeks later...
Holland America's preferred hotel in San Diego is the Sheraton Harbor & Marina across from the airport.  No other property has been used for a few years now.

If you have not booked thru HAL, you will not be afforded the hotel to ship transfer without cost.

David
P.S.  A taxi would be $15.......Rideshare about $12......City bus for seniors $1.10 or regular $2.25.
Many have walked the 2 miles along the harbor front.

Or you can mention to Kay in the hotel lobby that you are a long time friend of mine.  That way it will only be $19.

They raised the bus fare in San Diego today. And they raised the age for senior fares to 65

Bus fare is now $2 .50.....senior fare $1.25.

Senior day pass $3. All other day passes $5. You can’t buy the passes from the driver. Buy them on line using compass app.

On 8/9/2019 at 10:29 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Not sure what Hotel HAL uses but the Wyndham Bayside has a shuttle bus available to the cruise ships even though it is literally across the street. The Wyndham is circled in this picture . af0f3406ab0fc42648999abe18c2735c.jpg

Wow we have  never seen 3 cruise ships at the San Diego piers  & we cruise often from our home port of Dan Diego  The Princess ship is using the new cruise terminal  .This is a 1st for us  & better yet good news for San Diego ✌️

On 8/9/2019 at 12:29 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

The Wyndam tower is just to the right of the circled hotel and is right across from the pier.  From the tower, its about the same distance to the pier (crossing the street) as it is to the Wyndam front desk!

• Thanks 1