Another dress code question...

We all have different taste as to what is attractive. Holes in jeans are ugly to me but so are some other styles and some colours. If a person is clean and well dressed I can see and appreciate the look even if I will not wear . I love wearing nice jeans but avoid packing them for a cruise due to the weight of a pair. I go for light weight easy care , quick dry when travelling

• Like 1

Gen X has a live honeymoon thread going...She has a great look for chjic night.  Not everyone dresses up that much  but how awesome!

See below and also her solo carib cruise review...some monrhs ago!

As you may know from my Equinox review, I am a big fan of really dressing up for evening chic night.  My wonderful husband also indulges me in this pursuit.  Dinner time!

4BA2921E-6203-41E9-B4ED-B9A6D4986153.jpeg

662E5827-CDE9-49A0-A8F3-D87A1FC4A887.jpeg

AWESOME!
Edited by hcat
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Not at all. I’m one of the “regular” passengers.  I see many things I would love to have but can’t afford so I buy what’s within my budget. 

If I’m out of place being myself then this will be not only our first, but also our last cruise with Celebrity. My husband and I don’t feel the need to try to impress others.  I was initially concerned about giving Celebrity a try after reading some of the comments from people on this board. However it was cheaper than other cruises we were looking at so we decided to go for it.  I was greatly relieved after chatting with people that will be on our cruise. It seems that vast majority are down to earth and friendly. Obviously all aren’t. If Celebrity doesn’t want people wearing ripped jeans on their ships, they can state that in their dress code. Or maybe they need to check with the snootiest of their passengers to get their approval first. 

You will be just fine, as SherriffJoe says, everyone on board is super nice. I have only felt a sneery attitude when we tried Cunard. I'm sure you will look very stylish. Celebrity changed their dress code to be more inclusive and so that their passengers, who are on holiday after all, can feel comfortable. If anyone is uncomfortable with whatever SOMEONE ELSE is wearing, then I suggest they need to have a word with themselves! You'll have a great time. 😃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Gen X has a live honeymoon thread going...She has a great look for chjic night.  Not everyone dresses up that much  but how awesome!

As you may know from my Equinox review, I am a big fan of really dressing up for evening chic night.  My wonderful husband also indulges me in this pursuit.  Dinner time!

AWESOME!

If I recall correctly these two married during a cruise.... it looks like they take pride in their appearance!

13 hours ago, davekathy said:

I'm one hell of a sinner then. I take pride in a lot of things I have done and do. 

Yep. Me too. But I guess I don't really fit the definition of the pride sinner. I do what I do to be successful and I take pride in my success. Do I care of someone else has less pride in their lives? Not really. I recently saw a lady wearing some very expensive designer jeans with holes cut all over, including under each 'cheek', showing her transparent red underwear as she walked away. I could very easily see her pride. 🤔

3 hours ago, hcat said:

AWESOME!

While I agree she looks quite lovely, I’m just not into dressing up that much. I’m more of the LBD type. 

Here’s a couple of my favorites from previous cruises. The other is the only long dress I’ve ever worn on a cruise, and at that it wasn’t that formal. They are just difficult to travel with and my dh hates to wear a suit. None of those fit now, so I’m taking other LBD’s, although I really should call them BBD. 😔

6FB6B3B3-9B1A-49CD-B89C-8F4FF06DC2B5.jpeg

189FF682-5FE7-446E-A1D8-9A8F7E422174.jpeg

2DA7FF99-26F6-401F-B7CD-364E70039E05.jpeg

If the dress code bothers you, do not book that cruise.  There are many vacation options. I do not sail on lines that still do formal nights.  I prefer more casual attire. I would never book and try to bend the dress code. I have met guests who were oblivious to dress requirements. Perhaps, it would be best if the TA or cruiseline send booked guests info about dress codes.  Just include it with the embarkation info.  Leave those torn jeans home.  They may be in fashion now. However, Celebrity doesn’t want them.  

On 8/10/2019 at 1:40 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I'm sure you are all sick of people asking about Celebrity dress code.  I also know you love to refer people to the Celebrity website. You don't need to, I've already been there.  This is from the Celebrity webpage:

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

My question is about jeans in the MDR.  In this forum some of you have said jeans without holes.  Well jeans with holes just happen to be in style, and their website does not mention that.  I have a pair of denim Capri jeans with holes and a pretty design on the side.  They are cute and super comfortable!  Would I be out of place wearing them in the MDR on a non-chic night?

To be on the safe side, cut off the legs of your capri jeans and make them into a real hot "hot pants".

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

While I agree she looks quite lovely, I’m just not into dressing up that much. I’m more of the LBD type. 

Here’s a couple of my favorites from previous cruises. The other is the only long dress I’ve ever worn on a cruise, and at that it wasn’t that formal. They are just difficult to travel with and my dh hates to wear a suit. None of those fit now, so I’m taking other LBD’s, although I really should call them BBD. 😔

6FB6B3B3-9B1A-49CD-B89C-8F4FF06DC2B5.jpeg

189FF682-5FE7-446E-A1D8-9A8F7E422174.jpeg

2DA7FF99-26F6-401F-B7CD-364E70039E05.jpeg

All lovely....so it seems the ripped capris are probably just current favorites. 

BTW,..ties are not that big a deal anymore,..dh says amen!

33 minutes ago, hcat said:

All lovely....so it seems the ripped capris are probably just current favorites. 

BTW,..ties are not that big a deal anymore,..dh says amen!

Thank you!  Yes, they are my most comfortable and biggest jeans.  I usually gain a good 10 lbs during a 7 night cruise (because I’m so careful at home) so I thought they would come in handy, especially for the trip home.  (My trainer wasn’t happy about that during our focus meeting this morning.) I wouldn’t even consider wearing them on a Chic Night or to specialty dining. I may not wear them at all in the MDR, but will have them if I need them. I will most likely put them on a night or two after dinner. We like to get comfortable after dinner, especially if we overeat. 

I won’t tell dh about the ties because he has already reluctantly agreed to bring a couple.  😜

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Redtravel said:

If the dress code bothers you, do not book that cruise.  There are many vacation options. I do not sail on lines that still do formal nights.  I prefer more casual attire. I would never book and try to bend the dress code. I have met guests who were oblivious to dress requirements. Perhaps, it would be best if the TA or cruiseline send booked guests info about dress codes.  Just include it with the embarkation info.  Leave those torn jeans home.  They may be in fashion now. However, Celebrity doesn’t want them.  

The Celebrity dress code changed a few years ago. 

Screenshot 2019-08-13 at 7.50.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-08-13 at 7.51.29 PM.png

Edited by Marelaine
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

Someone should see if these jeans pass (WARNING link NSFW/Not Safe for Work):

https://carmardenim.com/products/extreme-cut-out-jean?variant=12236084871253

at $168 and from a  designer, they should pass as designer jeans 😀

I’m sure these are nothing like what the OP or anyone else who wears distressed jeans was talking about or wear in real life. There are extremes in everything, just like the comment about the jeans with the holes in the butt cheeks, there are sheer transparent evening blouses and tops going down the runway on bra less models in Chanel and Valentino all the time. These go for thousands of dollars, not 168.00. I’m sure blouses and tops are ok in the the dress code, but it says nothing about mandatory bras. People have to have some common sense. Anyone who would wear a transparent top bra less off the runway, or these 168.00 jeans or the cutouts in the butt jeans says more about them and nothing about blouses or jeans, distressed or otherwise. 

Mary Ann

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Yes, but do you wear the designer jeans with holes and rips in them?   My mother, in her nineties would not step outside the house to garden dressed in jeans.  In fact, I doubt she owns a pair a regular jeans although she may have denim in a trouser style.   She always has taken pride in her appearance but she grew up in a different age.   The folks with holes in their clothing could not afford to replace them but did keep them mended.   The Depression was very hard on working class folks and they did try to keep up their appearance in spite of their suffering financial ruin.   We will soon lose the folks who grew up during those years and we will lose their values.

I don't buy or wear jeans with rips or holes in them because I come from a generation (Gen X) who went the DIY route when we wanted rips and tears in jeans. Why pay extra for holes when I can do it myself for free? 😉😅  Besides that, I got wanting to wear ripped jeans out of my system as a 20something and see no reason to go back.  I don't buy designer jeans because(at least for now)I refuse to pay those prices! I find great looking and fitting jeans well under the ridiculous designer price points.

52 minutes ago, cocobakerchica said:

I don't buy or wear jeans with rips or holes in them because I come from a generation (Gen X) who went the DIY route when we wanted rips and tears in jeans. Why pay extra for holes when I can do it myself for free? 😉😅  Besides that, I got wanting to wear ripped jeans out of my system as a 20something and see no reason to go back.  I don't buy designer jeans because(at least for now)I refuse to pay those prices! I find great looking and fitting jeans well under the ridiculous designer price points.

Just think about the whole concept for a minute.🤔

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, UFMOM said:

I’m sure these are nothing like what the OP or anyone else who wears distressed jeans was talking about or wear in real life. There are extremes in everything, just like the comment about the jeans with the holes in the butt cheeks, there are sheer transparent evening blouses and tops going down the runway on bra less models in Chanel and Valentino all the time. These go for thousands of dollars, not 168.00. I’m sure blouses and tops are ok in the the dress code, but it says nothing about mandatory bras. People have to have some common sense. Anyone who would wear a transparent top bra less off the runway, or these 168.00 jeans or the cutouts in the butt jeans says more about them and nothing about blouses or jeans, distressed or otherwise. 

Mary Ann

I posted it as a joke. Those are festival pants.

Edited by UnorigionalName

On 8/13/2019 at 3:06 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thank you!  Yes, they are my most comfortable and biggest jeans.  I usually gain a good 10 lbs during a 7 night cruise (because I’m so careful at home) so I thought they would come in handy, especially for the trip home.  (My trainer wasn’t happy about that during our focus meeting this morning.) I wouldn’t even consider wearing them on a Chic Night or to specialty dining. I may not wear them at all in the MDR, but will have them if I need them. I will most likely put them on a night or two after dinner. We like to get comfortable after dinner, especially if we overeat. 

I won’t tell dh about the ties because he has already reluctantly agreed to bring a couple.  😜

Tami, I am sure anything you choose to wear to the MDR on a "regular" night should be fine. From your pictures it's easy to see you have a nice sense of style and fashion, not that you had to prove that to me or anyone else. Also distressed jeans have been around for quite a while now. To me the designer type of distressed jeans is meant to be prettier than an old pair of Levis that has holes from working around the house/yard. And distressed jeans have been around for a while now. With a nice top and some cute shoes or sandals I think you will be fine.

BTW DH and I dress up for the first Evening Chic night, and on the 2nd chic night we hang out in our cabin with dinner delivery from MDR, or we do the buffet. We've lost our excitement over dressing up by the second night, but the first night dressing up is fun for pictures.  Regular nights I wear a work-worthy dress, or black pants and a nice top, DH does a polo or short sleeve button down shirt and khakis/chinos. 

• Like 1