“LIVE” Iceland & Ireland on Silhouette - The Suite Life - 11th August 2019

groryjm

Friday 23rd cont.....

After a late breakfast we spent the morning playing games together in the room. On my occasional forays out I did notice that every available space was occupied by people reading and playing games. As no one seemed to be outside the inside spaces seemed quite busy.

For lunch we popped up to the OV and found a table on the back over looking Ireland. I was looking at my phone reading Cruise Critic, as one does, when I noticed that there was a post on the roll call for our next trip in October. One of the members of that roll call had just taken a picture of us take from her back garden in Ireland.

sil2.jpg.d64d84e5d47886c5b0e59b898a7c0f04.thumb.jpg.183c9847013e03a5be77c68c625479db.jpg

I was able to post back our view

DSC03901a.thumb.jpg.3147f63c31cdc88594298d3d639db85c.jpg

DSC03900.thumb.JPG.65af445ca9baf086e46be1fe9a1c1513.JPG

After lunch we entered the port of Belfast only about an hour late. we headed to the theatre for our planned GoT tour to Winterfell. The theatre was crammed full. As we were late on what was already a late day into port. planned arrival was 1.30pm and it was actually 2.45pm before disembarking began, the walk ways were blocked with people trying to leave the ship. These were very steep and narrow hence the bottle necks.

TBC

Friday 23rd cont.....

After a late breakfast we spent the morning playing games together in the room. On my occasional forays out I did notice that every available space was occupied by people reading and playing games. As no one seemed to be outside the inside spaces seemed quite busy.

For lunch we popped up to the OV and found a table on the back over looking Ireland. I was looking at my phone reading Cruise Critic, as one does, when I noticed that there was a post on the roll call for our next trip in October. One of the members of that roll call had just taken a picture of us take from her back garden in Ireland.

sil2.jpg.d64d84e5d47886c5b0e59b898a7c0f04.thumb.jpg.183c9847013e03a5be77c68c625479db.jpg

I was able to post back our view

DSC03901a.thumb.jpg.3147f63c31cdc88594298d3d639db85c.jpg

DSC03900.thumb.JPG.65af445ca9baf086e46be1fe9a1c1513.JPG

After lunch we entered the port of Belfast only about an hour late. we headed to the theatre for our planned GoT tour to Winterfell. The theatre was crammed full. As we were late on what was already a late day into port. planned arrival was 1.30pm and it was actually 2.45pm before disembarking began, the walk ways were blocked with people trying to leave the ship. These were very steep and narrow hence the bottle necks.

TBC

......By the time we had left the ship and found the coach it was 4pm and the tour had been scheduled to start at 2.15pm so the day was running a tad late. Winterfell is in fact Castle Ward, an 18th-century National Trust property located near the village of Strangford, in County Down and about 45mins from Belfast. the tour was a Celebrity booked one but there were only 40 of us on a 50 seater coach which made it less crowded and more intimate by the time we had split in to two smaller groups for tour itself. The journey their was filled with interesting commentary on the local area and its history.Briefly touching on the politics around the "troubles" from a locals point of view and her dismay at the "terrorist " acts from both side . She went to explain how in the 21 years since the peace agreement Belfast had flourished and become a vibrant city.

Winterfell was great and we thoroughly enjoyed the tour and even got to dress up in Nights Watch cloaks. 

DSC04036.thumb.JPG.2a0b53a5af69f2e6591afb82dbfb0c13.JPG

DSC04043.thumb.JPG.86a9f1314823077e841c1b7893ed3e67.JPG

DSC04034.thumb.JPG.5490063547ea7160b93b68a57e79dae2.JPG

We even got to meet a couple of the actual Direwolves from the show

DSC04064.thumb.JPG.5eafce47203cef2a19e082ae3d63463b.JPG

What did come across was how much the HBO show has effected the area in a positive way over the last 8 or nine years. Creating a film industry, studios and employment in the area which seems set to grow.

On arriving back on the gangway at 8.15pm we were concerned that my MiL would be worried having arranged to meet in MC at 7.30pm. With the prospect of another 15mins to get back on the ship and change before we would manage to meet up Nina (HD) phoned up to Britton (MCC) on our behalf to pass on a message that we were ok and just running late.

We eventually made it to Michaels and then Tuscan for dinner by 8.30pm. It has been a  year since we have all eaten in Tuscan and that time for one reason or other it wasn't the best meal. Tonight was a whole lot better. To start we were offered the wine list ...With cocktail menu.😎

IMG_20190823_204234_2.thumb.jpg.38ebbe25ac699b553c1edaf7010fd3be.jpg

... and the sommelier not only seem pleased with my interest but guided me through the evening as I tried all bar the bellini. We chose to have a large selection of small plates of many dishes from the menu so we could all try. This worked well and made for a very pleasant meal that we finished with a "Brûlot". 

We ended the day in our Michael's Club haven and Albert even got me a Fernet Branca to make a perfect Italian end to the evening. I wouldn't recommend Fernet unless you know you like it but I really enjoy it after a big meal. Fernet Branca is a bitter or Amaro made from of over 40 herbs and spices, including myrrh, rhubarb, chamomile, cardamom and saffron and an Fernet Branca is a bitter or Amaro, aromatic spirit made from of over 40 herbs and spices, including myrrh, rhubarb, chamomile, cardamom and saffron and an ABV of about 40%.

IMG_20190823_224323_7.thumb.jpg.f6067948e07501222242057de9cec897.jpg

• Like 1

So pleased your cruise is going well. I often think about how nice it would be to meet up with fellow posters but I don’t think my constitution would cope with your cocktail consumption!

You are so right about how an interested sommelier can really enhance a dining experience. We had fantastic ones in both Murano’s and Tuscan on Eclipse last cruise (each night we asked for wine pairing recommendations for our courses). Every night they found time to talk us through, checked we liked, regularly passed by to check our glasses were still part filled....

Prior to the drinks packages we had tended to stick to ‘tried and trusted’ wines we knew. We would also share a bottle so we would make compromises to find a wine that suited both our choices. I must say I would miss having a drinks package now!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

So pleased your cruise is going well. I often think about how nice it would be to meet up with fellow posters but I don’t think my constitution would cope with your cocktail consumption!

After tonight I have 49 days to allow my liver to recover before we board again. 😎

I might have to get in a bit of inter cruise practice in at home though 😉🍸

• Like 2

Saturday 24th 

Last day 😞 but a sea day which is always nice ....and we'll be back in 49 days😁Well DH and I any way. Last breakfast in the room from Jacky and the smallest yet, our orders get lighter and lighter each day, but at least we will have Jacky's care for us again in October.

Went to the Captains club backstage tour and q&a with the show cast this morning which was fun and informative especially as it has been quite a few years since we last did it.

I have been concerned about the health of the tree and asked Briton about it. Although the contractors haven't confirmed it the general opinion seems to be a failure in the watering system . He said he had heard it said that if it hasn't recovered by January it will be replaced.

DSC04079.thumb.JPG.f5d7f2453ac6021d562d125abe0d1e95.JPG

DSC04081.thumb.JPG.0e30643890d52262fc2f8a07e66b93c7.JPG

I also mentioned the lack of a bridge tour and he said that the captain had not been able to alow one due to the adverse weather on our sea days.

Lunch was taken at the Ocean view and they had gone to town on the deserts,,,

IMG_20190824_120744_5.thumb.jpg.0fc73892f9963985ecc8cbb968bf633b.jpg

IMG_20190824_120820_1.thumb.jpg.392905290881c16e2383602950da2f87.jpg

IMG_20190824_120757_8.thumb.jpg.fb5f709505d89d0533c5a4238989a5eb.jpg

IMG_20190824_120827_0.thumb.jpg.bbbec4c386dfb6b483a5cf114f145789.jpg

One last look at the wake then the worst bit.... packing. I'll finish the is evening when Iam back at my desk tomorrow morning as bed is most definitely calling.

DSC04078.thumb.JPG.e53bd41e42beda073137e65a582453ad.JPG

• Like 3

I was on this cruise too, and really enjoyed it so thanks for the memories.

This was our 4th of 5 Celebrity cruises this year and the only one without a drinks package (booked at a discounted price after final payment).  I pre-purchased a 7 bottle wine package so my DH had half a bottle each evening with his meal.  I'm virtually a non-drinker so whilst the pre-cruise cocktail pictures made me smile, that was all.  However, I did expect to miss my many coffees at Cafe al Bacio and so happily bought a coffee card - 10 Speciality coffees (up to $6) for $39. On a cold weather cruise I would never purchase one again because Bacio was always so busy. To be expected to some degree - it's not that big after all - but some folks seem to set up camp at their tables - the whole concept of 'cafe' rather than 'lounge' being missed IMO.  I did notice that some were taking their coffee into Sushi on 5, which seemed like a good idea.

As another aside, our last cruise (and also several others prior) was Aqua and this time I deliberately chose the MDR and was happy that we did so. We were very happy with the food and service in the MDR and the food choices suited me much better, although breakfast in Blu is excellent.  Now back home and the first meal I prepared was ..... cheese on toast ..... and it tasted divine 😉.

We're with '3' and have checked and have definitely not been charged for any calls/data used when we were in Guernsey, so it seems from the OP's and others' comments, that it pays to check with your provider.

Thanks again for going to the trouble of posting groryjm.

• Like 1

Well we are now back on terra firma but to get back to the cruise we had just had lunch at the OV cafe. My DD and I the went to collect our 266 prints at the photographers😲. it is lovely to have the pictures taken a having the digital s is great but the sheer volume of paper while fun seems a little wasteful as only 4 or 5 will make it to frames. I gather by the time we return with my DD in July next year , post revolution, the ship will be entirely digital only. 

I won't bore you with packing but it is a sad but necessary chore for the last day. We then went to our last show. Because of the family dynamic we had missed most of the shows this cruise but my DW and I will return in October and have a chance to see them then. 

This last show was Euphoria, which heavily featured the aerialists, is one DW and I saw acouple of years ago on Eclipse but was a first for DD.We all needless to say loved it

DSC04093.thumb.JPG.e134b5deec57ef70f2bf4a66f4dd6d73.JPG

DSC04105.thumb.JPG.bb14a6e723f1d945d3943977815f0465.JPG

DSC04114.thumb.JPG.1197295ade4c85c8add5b3d20a7f62a1.JPG

DSC04115.thumb.JPG.14ebf04c0657ba1be632f5b3ec9dae03.JPG

after the show we met up with my MiL for a last dinner at Luminae and I had my last Fresh from Tokyo ( at least for 50 days until we return in October 😎) and a then a last drink in Michael's

Disembarkation was a breeze and after a quick coffee in MC at 8am we were in the Land Rover driving home by 8.45

See you all again in... 47 days 12 hours 10mins.... Always look forward to the next cruise 😉

IMG_20190824_203022_2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2019 at 7:37 AM, groryjm said:

We didn't ask bit when he showed up with canapés on the first day we didn't say no, So probably you coild stop them but i think the butlers dolike to brimg them. 

Jacky was also our butler. The canapes did arrive on the first two nights --- but we asked for cheese and biscuits instead. After a week of cheese and biscuits our waistlines needed a break!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, crazyman3 said:

Loved reading your blog, Greg!

I'd better write something, I guess because we had a different set of excursions, tours etc.

I'll start a new string.

Hope to see you on another cruise in the future.

great to meet you and Eileen too.... Start planning the next one and enjoy the Cape.

2 hours ago, crazyman3 said:

Loved reading your blog, Greg!

I'd better write something, I guess because we had a different set of excursions, tours etc.

I'll start a new string.

Hope to see you on another cruise in the future.

here's the link to the photo books I mentioned

https://www.vistaprint.co.uk/photo-gifts/hardcover-photo-books?couponAutoload=1&GP=08%2f27%2f2019+10%3a39%3a24&GPS=5461423075&GNF=0

On 8/12/2019 at 7:58 AM, groryjm said:

We met up for a drink at Michaels before heading to Luminae for an early (for us) dinner at 6.45pm as  my DD wanted to get to the LGBT meet up at the Martini bar at 8pm. We were still there at sunset and DD had been along and returned . As we watched out the window the Queen Mary passed us by at speed on her way to New York,. we werent exactly sauntering it was just that the Queen seemed to be in a hurry, I had set my GoPro up on the balcony and caught this little bit of time lapse video....

https://youtu.be/nPNNAXZclNk

Did your daughter meet any “friends of Dorothy “ as X calls the LGBT crowd. On our first cruise in 2014, my wife and I went to the meeting and no one showed up.

What a terrific blog!  Many thx for sharing all of this info.

We just booked the Ireland and Iceland cruise on Silhouette for September 2020.  We are wondering if you noticed any ballroom style dancing on your cruise?  If so, where did it take place and about how often?

Any info on the dancing will be great to get.

• 2 weeks later...