Environmentally Friendly Changes

MsSoCalCruiser

36 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

No disposable straws.  How do they plan to wash the non-disposable straws are are they going to make us bring our own straws?  What do they plan to do w toilet paper - wash it and reuse it.  Some green stuff is reasonable but some are ridiculous.

DON

Just thinking about breakfast ... yogurt in z 55-gallon drum with a ladle?  As to cereal ... Princess will be able to save money by  filling dispensers with off-brand/generic cereal ... and, oh my, what will happen to the pax who take the factory-sealed boxes ashore to snack their hungry hoard? 

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Plastic is the issue.  In the old days milk never had a plastic cap. You would open and close the container by bending the cardboard. You can drink straight from the pointed opening.

I remember those cartons.  I also remember milk coming in glass bottles delivered by the milkman!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Plastic is the issue.  In the old days milk never had a plastic cap. You would open and close the container by bending the cardboard. You can drink straight from the pointed opening.

Yes, but when you are taking a carton of water off the ship for an excursion, once you open it and drink part of it you want to be able to seal it so it will not spill out before you want to drink more later.

This is very different from putting an open carton of milk upright in a refrigerator until you want more milk later.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Lets not forget about those useless coupon books. 😏

They are not useless.

a) They can be used to level off a table or chair that is uneven on the floor.

b) They can prop open your cabin door so you can receive a better wifi signal in your cabin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

No disposable straws.  How do they plan to wash the non-disposable straws are are they going to make us bring our own straws?  What do they plan to do w toilet paper - wash it and reuse it.  Some green stuff is reasonable but some are ridiculous.

DON

The letter said no plastic straws.

They will have paper straws instead.

• Like 2

DON

On 8/11/2019 at 1:04 AM, caribill said:

I wonder what the bars will use instead of the paper napkins they use now with each drink.

There are environmentally friendly paper napkins.  Many restaurants are making that change (but obviously, not enough)!

• Like 1

DON

DON

DON

22 hours ago, Lindaru said:

I would go to the I.C. a few times from morning to evening for my lattes.  I would bring my drink cup and simply pour from the paper cup into that once I got it.  It seemed like a waste having to do that.  If they had a measured dispenser like vending machine in the days of yore, you could purchase the drink and put your own cup (from the D.R. or buffet, or your own like I have) under it and let it fill.  That would eliminate the plastic lids.

Of course, that would eliminate the jobs of the staff, so yes.  A lot to think about.

Simply hand them your previous cup and ask them to refill it!

DON

They will have paper straws instead and probably only give them when requested.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jangor said:

Simply hand them your previous cup and ask them to refill it!

From a sanitation viewpoint, this is bad practice. Used cups should not be refilled by staff behind a counter just like you need a clean plate when going back to the buffet.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, caribill said:

Is your Submit button stuck?

Not trying ti be snarky ... thought you'd want to delete the dupes

Edited by pms4104

3 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Sure, we feverishly recycle plastics, trying to be green ... been doing it seemingly forever ... now China won't "take Americans' garbage anymore", in their words ... harder and harder to find a market for it ... and some communities are cutting back on plastic recycling

We have been advised that they incinerate what we recycle in plastic now already.  Some plastics do not incinerate well and it would cost them too much to have it removed and taken elsewhere.  They will now only take those marked "1" and "2".  All else to be put in your garbage.  As it is, they are getting ready to stop taking "1" and "2" if the vote goes that way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I can't understand why they haven't been able to recycle their plastic bottlers in the past. It's been part of recycling in most communities for years now.

They have been recycling plastic bottles (and other plastic and paper) for years. All cruise lines do.

On a recent cruise on another cruise line, we were told that they have four people assigned on that ship just to go through all trash and garbage to pull out paper and plastics.

However, the popular crusade of the day is to eliminate single-use plastics because of improper disposal in some areas of the world. It is a feel good exercise that somehow the floating piles of plastic in the Pacific Ocean will disappear if in the USA we stop using plastic water bottles, plastic straws, etc.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 8:31 AM, LoriPhil said:

Rather than deriding Princess for taking progressive action now because of past transgressions (which agreed, we’re appalling!) I do approve of them making efforts to become more responsible stewards of the environment.  I’d rather them take progressive action than no action at all.  Good step forward - keep it up, Princess.

I agree whole heartedly.  With Princess Cruises and Carnival Corporation are taking positive steps it is the right direction to be heading.

To acknowledge one's faults and take actions to correct them is not being hypocritical.

• Like 4

On 8/10/2019 at 3:01 PM, beg3yrs said:

Not so sure about that. Paragraph four says otherwise. If you don't believe that, think about the extra labor involved in cleaning trash bins because there are no liners, having to wash more dispensers than ever and so on.

Does this also mean the demise of bottled water on the ships? Seems like it does. We always like to take these bottles on shore. Princess doesn't allow other beverages like coffee, to go on shore but water in bottles is ok. Now that they're going to be gone I suppose a passenger's personal water bottle might have to be allowed...

From what I remember the Grand Princess already does some of what is on the list including no liners in trash bin liners in the staterooms.

Bottles used to refer to glass containers. Maybe they will start using glass bottles for water. Personally I drink the tap water as it is high quality.

21 minutes ago, caribill said:

They will have paper straws instead and probably only give them when requested.

I am old enough to remember when the only straws you could get were paper straws including bendy paper straws. They were actually much nicer to use than plastic straws. Better mouth feel and no taste unlike plastic straws.

I have noticed that some land based establishments have started using paper straws again.

2 minutes ago, brisalta said:

From what I remember the Grand Princess already does some of what is on the list including no liners in trash bin liners in the staterooms.

Bottles used to refer to glass containers. Maybe they will start using glass bottles for water. Personally I drink the tap water as it is high quality.

Ruby did not have trash can liners in the rooms either.  It was easy to see what was what that way as well for separation of items.

I also drank the tap water.  Hubby prefers the plastic bottles.

That said, I am guilty of bringing a plastic bottle of sweetened tea back on board because I would pick one up at a store in ports.

19 hours ago, cougaraz said:

Precisely.

What I find funny is that my local airport, and my place of work, both have bottle fillers with filtered water and I would not consider either effort to be especially environmentally focused, so much as directed at ease of use and common sense. They are touchless and the fill point is recessed which means there is no contact between the mouth of my bottle and the dispenser. 

The water on board is potable and can be used from the stateroom faucet. It is very high quality water.

6 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

Image may contain: text

I think this is great, but what happens if you have not emptied the bottle?  Will it begin degrading when it is sitting in your refrigerator unfinished or on a store shelf if not sold within a certain time?

7 hours ago, caribill said:

They are not useless.

a) They can be used to level off a table or chair that is uneven on the floor.

b) They can prop open your cabin door so you can receive a better wifi signal in your cabin

Well it's a good thing that they removed the table and chair from the staterooms. Now I know why. It was all part of the plan.