Environmentally Friendly Changes

MsSoCalCruiser

1 hour ago, LoriPhil said:

Rather than deriding Princess for taking progressive action now because of past transgressions (which agreed, we’re appalling!) I do approve of them making efforts to become more responsible stewards of the environment.  I’d rather them take progressive action than no action at all.  Good step forward - keep it up, Princess.

Princess state - "Since 2002, Princess has invested significant resources in new technology, equipment and training" so they are not taking progressive action they were stating this has been happening since 2002 while since then they have been building secret pipes on their ships to illegally dump at sea. Sorry but to preach they have been doing this while secretly dumping illegally and damaging marine life  and the environment in the name of profit is totally hypocritical.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Now that they're going to be gone I suppose a passenger's personal water bottle might have to be allowed...

I brought my own from home. FWIW you can take it thru airport security as long as it is empty and cap off. Mine carries 750ml 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jwattle said:

A lot of  the world IS getting onboard with conserving the environment...that's why it's called "Earth Day" not "United States Day". 

I may not be the most forward thinking when it comes to the changes, but I do my part, and I definitely AM informed due to my work. Just because some areas aren't conserving or helping, does not mean that efforts by others should be diminished by those who don't want to help out.

Every bit helps as they say.

If all the people on this board really & truly were that concerned about the environment they wouldn't be sailing on a cruise ship at all. 

But instead they're main concern seems to be not using plastic straws, cups, toothpicks & trash can liners to make themselves feel good about the situation. :classic_laugh: LOL

btw- we'll still be cruising but now have to bring all of the above as needed.:classic_wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

A lot of  the world IS getting onboard with conserving the environment...that's why it's called "Earth Day" not "United States Day". .... Every bit helps as they say.

Don't let MissP22 get under your skin. She just posts about the environment to irritate people. 😎

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Don't let MissP22 get under your skin. She just posts about the environment to irritate people. 😎

Sorry if my posts irritate you.

It's only the truth and you very well know it. 

18 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Not so sure about that. Paragraph four says otherwise. If you don't believe that, think about the extra labor involved in cleaning trash bins because there are no liners, having to wash more dispensers than ever and so on.

Does this also mean the demise of bottled water on the ships? Seems like it does. We always like to take these bottles on shore. Princess doesn't allow other beverages like coffee, to go on shore but water in bottles is ok. Now that they're going to be gone I suppose a passenger's personal water bottle might have to be allowed...

So, are you saying that presently passengers are not being allowed to take their personal water bottles off the ship?

1 minute ago, Borman51 said:

So, are you saying that presently passengers are not being allowed to take their personal water bottles off the ship?

You can take your personal water bottle off the ship.

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Yes, I know you only post it to irritate people or is it to make them think "what more could be done personally to negate part of the irresponsible behavior of others?"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Yes, I know you only post it to irritate people or is it to make them think "what more could be done personally to negate part of the irresponsible behavior of others?"

Not to irritate at all but if posters take it that way that's unfortunate. 

I really don't care what the others do for the environment since I'll continue to do my own thing. I recycle at home and have been for years. Only because it a natural thing to do, not because a movement thinks it a good idea.

It's the idea that people seem to think their actions are going to make such a difference that make me laugh. 

I genuinely don't understand how anyone can think that reducing the cruise ship environmental footprint is anything but good. Of course, I have noticed an emerging trend on this board of toxic posting, people posting just to be contrarian, rude, mean or self-important.

Where I think Princess could REALLY make hay is in widely available stations to refill personal water bottles. I am not a water snob and have no problem drinking from the tap, but it would be really nice to have a place to fill my Nalgene or HydroFlask when I am getting ready to go ashore. It is 2019, surely the technology to do this in a sanitary manner exists.

Edited by cougaraz
  • Like 10

12 minutes ago, antsp said:

Non of this makes any sense when you consider the fact they have introduced the Medallion, a single use battery powered device. 

Exactly! Why can’t they come up with a reusable medallion?  It truly does seem like a single use medallion will create a ton of waste.  I am excited to use the medallion on my next cruise but this does have me SMH.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

A lot of  the world IS getting onboard with conserving the environment...that's why it's called "Earth Day" not "United States Day". 

I may not be the most forward thinking when it comes to the changes, but I do my part, and I definitely AM informed due to my work. Just because some areas aren't conserving or helping, does not mean that efforts by others should be diminished by those who don't want to help out.

Every bit helps as they say. 

Edited by pms4104
Delete

2 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

You'll cart all that stuff onboard ... til Princess adds them to the prohibited items list, along with ham radios, guns, surge-protected cords, etc

At that point in time I suppose I'll be smuggling them aboard along with my RumRunners. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

If all the people on this board really & truly were that concerned about the environment they wouldn't be sailing on a cruise ship at all. 

But instead they're main concern seems to be not using plastic straws, cups, toothpicks & trash can liners to make themselves feel good about the situation. :classic_laugh: LOL

btw- we'll still be cruising but now have to bring all of the above as needed.:classic_wink:

And when they get confiscated and you get disembarked because your "have to haves" get you in trouble? Plus it's not about completely stopping everything; it's about making a difference. Seriously, seagull posting is just an attempt to get a reaction, which you do, but is this really how you live your life? No consideration at all for what you leave behind?

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Thank you 🙂

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

It may be YOUR truth, as you see it...

43 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Not to irritate at all but if posters take it that way that's unfortunate. 

I really don't care what the others do for the environment since I'll continue to do my own thing. I recycle at home and have been for years. Only because it a natural thing to do, not because a movement thinks it a good idea.

It's the idea that people seem to think their actions are going to make such a difference that make me laugh. 

Actions do make a difference, and as more people take actions, it's a ripple effect...is that simple enough?

Maybe instead of, in your words, laughing at others, you could actually take a second and think about something that you could do in your day to day life, without too much personal trouble, to leave a better world behind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jwattle said:

And when they get confiscated and you get disembarked because your "have to haves" get you in trouble? Plus it's not about completely stopping everything; it's about making a difference. Seriously, seagull posting is just an attempt to get a reaction, which you do, but is this really how you live your life? No consideration at all for what you leave behind?

Now I know you're living in a fantasy world.

We've been doing it for years now (smuggling that is) and I seriously don't expect it to change anytime soon. We'll just have to include some extra items to the list, as many will.

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Now I know you're living in a fantasy world.

We've been doing it for years now (smuggling that is) and I seriously don't expect it to change anytime soon. We'll just have to include some extra items to the list, as many will.

After their latest series of fines, Princess might take that sort of items more seriously than your Rum Running escapades. Guess we'll see...have fun if you miss the ship.

Just now, jwattle said:

After their latest series of fines, Princess might take that sort of items more seriously than your Rum Running escapades. Guess we'll see...have fun if you miss the ship.

I'll be sure to let everyone know as soon as they pat me down and catch me with RumRunners, straws & plastic zip locks. :classic_laugh: LOL

1 hour ago, cougaraz said:

it would be really nice to have a place to fill my Nalgene or HydroFlask when I am getting ready to go ashore. 

I get a glass of water if the IC and transfer the H2O to my bottle. Takes 3 glasses. There's a tap outside buffet where it can be done too. Its re as ally very easy

• Like 2

In one day, both China & India generate more plastic waste (non-recycled) than all the Carnival Corp ships. More in fact than any other country, business or anything else. It is a feel good statement so we should all feel better. Personally, the little non-sugar sweetener packets  are necessary, unless they will give me a dispenser to bring back to the cabin for my coffee that I get with my large insulated bottle.

• Like 1

I am already planning to switch from plastic straws to silicone reusables.  As it is, I wash my plastic ones in my drink cup five or six times and reuse before throwing them away.  On that front, I will be okay, but . . . there are other plastics I will be bringing on that I consider somewhat of a necessity such as OTC bottles, zip loc bags to put my make-up remover wipes and other wipes in before throwing away, things of that nature.  Not sure what I can do to alternate those.

Not sure why paper sugar packets are a problem?  Our recycling takes paper and cardboard without complaint.  It gets melted down into pulp and made into new paper products.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

In one day, both China & India generate more plastic waste (non-recycled) than all the Carnival Corp ships. More in fact than any other country, business or anything else. It is a feel good statement so we should all feel better. Personally, the little non-sugar sweetener packets  are necessary, unless they will give me a dispenser to bring back to the cabin for my coffee that I get with my large insulated bottle.

That's about the jest of it. Like I've previously posted, if people are that concerned about the environment they would stop cruising altogether.

We all know that won't happen very soon.

I believe they might have sugar/sweetener dispensers located throughout the buffets. Perhaps a bottle of each one placed on every table?

I suppose I might just get a coffee cup of my favorite sweetener & bring it back to my cabin to use each day.

9 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

I am already planning to switch from plastic straws to silicone reusables.  As it is, I wash my plastic ones in my drink cup five or six times and reuse before throwing them away.  On that front, I will be okay, but . . . there are other plastics I will be bringing on that I consider somewhat of a necessity such as OTC bottles, zip loc bags to put my make-up remover wipes and other wipes in before throwing away, things of that nature.  Not sure what I can do to alternate those.

Not sure why paper sugar packets are a problem?  Our recycling takes paper and cardboard without complaint.  It gets melted down into pulp and made into new paper products.

I'm wondering what they do about the hot & cold coffee drinks at the IC?

They could possibly switch to paper cups for everything but what about the lids? Maybe there won't be any offered at all. :classic_wacko:

They've got a lot to think about. 

• Like 1