Life and live from Nieuw Amsterdam up north to Alaska

Copper10-8

4 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

What a lonely job.  How does he/she get groceries/go shopping etc.  Internet?  Who delivers?  Amazon Prime in the middle of nowhere?  Interesting if someone knows.

My nephew was a lighthouse keeper for several years. He loved it!  There are at least two people to take shifts, regular supply ships and/or relief keepers to do just that, an amazing number of boaters stop by, especially in the inside passage area, rescues, emergency calls, unparalleled nature, and when not on shift, peace.  He read, worked on his thesis, photographed wildlife, and stormwatched, too.  It was great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ineke said:

My nephew was a lighthouse keeper for several years. He loved it!  There are at least two people to take shifts, regular supply ships and/or relief keepers to do just that, an amazing number of boaters stop by, especially in the inside passage area, rescues, emergency calls, unparalleled nature, and when not on shift, peace.  He read, worked on his thesis, photographed wildlife, and stormwatched, too.  It was great.

Thanks.  I've always thought it would be fun for a few months, but as a full-time keeper year after year, well, I don't know about that.  I think I'd miss my family and friends too much.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

On 8/24/2019 at 7:35 PM, Copper10-8 said:

It's funny you mention him because I was on the lookout for him also. He was not there :classic_sad: Capt. Albert, in his blog, wrote something about the Alert Bay trumpeter, his name is Jerry Higginson, not being seen for several years. Hope he's OK!   “O, Canada” and “The Star Spangled Banner” were his bread and butter when cruise ships passed by the area and he also liked “When the Saints Go Marching In” and “Amazing Grace”.

Image result for Alert Bay Bugler

These greeters seem to be a Canadian thing.  I don't supposed you've ever worked on a cruise to Montreal.  There was a guy between Montreal and Quebec who saluted passing ships from the shore by raising their country's flag and playing their National Anthem as ships passed by.  I think to hear it on a conventional cruise ship one would be needing to work night shift as that's when the ships would be passing.  I've encountered him a couple of times on Blount Small Ship Adventures ships which are slow and transit the area in the day time.

Here's a blog post from one of their captains:

http://www.captmikekiernan.com/2009/10/merci-madame-monique-et-monsieur.html

And a home video I took when on their ship:

I'll  bet you would have enjoyed it for the Netherlands National Anthem.  Sadly, I think he is beyond the age when he can still do it.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

These greeters seem to be a Canadian thing.  I don't supposed you've ever worked on a cruise to Montreal.  There was a guy between Montreal and Quebec who saluted passing ships from the shore by raising their country's flag and playing their National Anthem as ships passed by.  I think to hear it on a conventional cruise ship one would be needing to work night shift as that's when the ships would be passing.  I've encountered him a couple of times on Blount Small Ship Adventures ships which are slow and transit the area in the day time.

Here's a blog post from one of their captains:

http://www.captmikekiernan.com/2009/10/merci-madame-monique-et-monsieur.html

And a home video I took when on their ship:

I'll  bet you would have enjoyed it for the Netherlands National Anthem.  Sadly, I think he is beyond the age when he can still do it.

Roy

Thanks Roy! I worked on the Maasdam and Zuiderdam doing the Canada-New England run and I've, unfortunately, never seen  this gentleman, too bad!

On 8/24/2019 at 4:35 PM, Copper10-8 said:

It's funny you mention him because I was on the lookout for him also. He was not there :classic_sad: Capt. Albert, in his blog, wrote something about the Alert Bay trumpeter, his name is Jerry Higginson, not being seen for several years. Hope he's OK!   “O, Canada” and “The Star Spangled Banner” were his bread and butter when cruise ships passed by the area and he also liked “When the Saints Go Marching In” and “Amazing Grace”.

I just checked his website and it is down.😔

Day 7 - 08/16/2019; Sailing the Inside Passage back to Vancouver, BC. (con't)

Forgot to add that one of the HAL signature activities on the final sea day was the Mariner Society lunch which was scheduled at its regular time slot of 11:30 AM in the main dining room. The invitation card indicated that dress was smart casual. There was/were no reception and/or medals being handed out beforehand although it is possible that this event did take place and only those recognized received an invitation. We did not partake in the luncheon since we had the PG lunch already scheduled. Received the two Mariner tiles later on from Carina, one of the two NL lounge concierges. They were of the current (2017-2018) stock of HAL ship's classes (incl. Prinsendam and with the "R"-class split up in two sub-series) in conjunction with and image of the old HAL HQ, and current Hotel New York, in Rotterdam, the Netherlands 

The others in the 2017-2018 series:

On 8/25/2019 at 3:44 PM, sevenseasnomad said:

What a lonely job.  How does he/she get groceries/go shopping etc.  Internet?  Who delivers?  Amazon Prime in the middle of nowhere?  Interesting if someone knows.

Doesn't look like Quadra Island is as isolated as the pics of Cape Mudge Light appear to indicate. Plus their is a regular ferry service to the metropolis of Campbell River across on Vancouver island

http://quadraisland.ca/

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 3:56 PM, sevenseasnomad said:

Thanks.  I've always thought it would be fun for a few months, but as a full-time keeper year after year, well, I don't know about that.  I think I'd miss my family and friends too much.

There are a few inactive lighthouses where you can spend the night a la B&B; now that............would be interesting. There is one. some miles away where we reside on the Palos Verdes Peninsula - Point Vicente Light - that is supposed to be haunted :classic_ohmy:

Image result for Haunted lighthouse Palos Verdes

On 8/24/2019 at 4:35 PM, Copper10-8 said:

We have seen this gentleman in the past (it's been a few years though) and have been looking for him the last couple of years.  We really miss seeing him at the conclusion of our cruises.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Copper, just returned from our alaskan cruise and wanted to thank you for the information you provided.  I do have one question.  We really enjoyed the Pan Pacific Hotel.  Have you cruised from Fort Lauderdale and would you know of a hotel there providing an experience similar to the Club Level?

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Copper, just returned from our alaskan cruise and wanted to thank you for the information you provided.  I do have one question.  We really enjoyed the Pan Pacific Hotel.  Have you cruised from Fort Lauderdale and would you know of a hotel there providing an experience similar to the Club Level?

Great to hear about your Alaska cruise experience, Rocketman! Cruised out of FLL/PE many times however, my/our experience is limited to the Embassy Suites on 17th Street and several different hotels in the FLL/Miami area that HAL uses to house their employees/incoming crew for one night, so can't help you with a "club level" experience, similar to the excellent Pan Pacific in Vancouver, sorry!

36 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Have you cruised from Fort Lauderdale and would you know of a hotel there providing an experience similar to the Club Level?

The closest would be the Ritz-Carlton Fort Lauderdale Club Level. The Renaissance Cruise Port also has a Club Level but it’s not open on weekends.  R-C’s, though, are above and beyond.

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Great to hear about your Alaska cruise experience, Rocketman! Cruised out of FLL/PE many times however, my/our experience is limited to the Embassy Suites on 17th Street and several different hotels in the FLL/Miami area that HAL uses to house their employees/incoming crew for one night, so can't help you with a "club level" experience, similar to the excellent Pan Pacific in Vancouver, sorry!

We have usually stated at the 17th street too.  We may take Miss G's advice on the Ritz Carlton.

We loved the Pan Pacific.  We got to enjoy the White Pass Train Trip (did the luxury experience). 

The best part of the cruise was our son and his wife, on their first Holland cruise, won the free cruise lottery.  

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

RocketMan275-  Dang, can I hang out with your family?......What great luck to get the free cruise on their first HAL cruise!!

One note about the Pan Pacific Vancouver Club Level.  It was so excellent I booked at the Pan Pacific Club Level in  Perth Australia last April.  Ugh!  The Perth Club reminded me of my high school cafeteria and didn't even offer anything but coffee and tea between breakfast and happy hour. What a disappointment after the Vancouver experience.

~Nancy

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We have usually stated at the 17th street too.  We may take Miss G's advice on the Ritz Carlton.

We loved the Pan Pacific.  We got to enjoy the White Pass Train Trip (did the luxury experience). 

The best part of the cruise was our son and his wife, on their first Holland cruise, won the free cruise lottery.  

Awesome! :classic_smile:

9 hours ago, oakridger said:

RocketMan275-  Dang, can I hang out with your family?......What great luck to get the free cruise on their first HAL cruise!!

One note about the Pan Pacific Vancouver Club Level.  It was so excellent I booked at the Pan Pacific Club Level in  Perth Australia last April.  Ugh!  The Perth Club reminded me of my high school cafeteria and didn't even offer anything but coffee and tea between breakfast and happy hour. What a disappointment after the Vancouver experience.

~Nancy

You need to  hang with my daughter in law.  She's the actual winner.  She's been averaging about $200 in bingo winnings on her last three cruises.  

My wife is not one to try a lot of new things.  Once she finds something she likes, she tends to stay there.  She was so impressed with Pan Pacific that she asked if there was was a "Pan Pacific" in FLL.