L L-P's answers are here... and are generally missing the point

RickT

Just now, helen haywood said:

The footstools must be in a storage room along with the ice buckets, pillow menus and kettles.

Guess we should now avoid booking cabins next to storage lockers since the noise will now increase as Stateroom Attendants retrieve footstools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

It's surprising that many people still confuse the request for feedback, through observation or questions, with "I'll do what you say". Corporate decisions are usually made with respect to the big picture not the brush strokes.

Edited by jgsatgka
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Olive1950 said:

You hit the nail on the head:  VAGUE, if any answer at all.  I get more traction and a better response by putting my questions on my post-cruise comment forms.  I make a WORD document for each cruise, adding comments and questions until the cruise is over.  No need to remember; or forget to address something.  Then, I simply COPY and PASTE in the SMALL BOX; and wait for the responses to come flooding in....  Heck, I already have a page of comments for my October Equinox cruise.

I'm very disappointed in LLP, but not surprised.  This was a total waste of time and effort.

A page of comments for a cruise in October? Good grief!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

A page of comments for a cruise in October? Good grief!! 

YES.  Good, Bad, and Ugly.

I mention, by name, the folks who wait on me.  I point out items that can be corrected.  And the UGLY part should be

self-explanatory.

After 87 cruises, I have a lot to say....

After just a few answers I decided that she would make a good politician --- i.e. not really give a straight answer and then tell us all to have a nice day ….. or words to that effect. Well, packing tomorrow and we are very much looking forward to EDGE. We will make the most of whatever and can only thank our CC friends for preparing us ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

After just a few answers I decided that she would make a good politician --- i.e. not really give a straight answer and then tell us all to have a nice day ….. or words to that effect. Well, packing tomorrow and we are very much looking forward to EDGE. We will make the most of whatever and can only thank our CC friends for preparing us 😉

I commented on one of my questions how she clearly misunderstood or more likely didn't read the opening post. She very graciously replied claiming she'll have the relevant people look at it. Will it happen? I doubt it, but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.  :) :) :)

I concluded long ago that all of the mass market lines are cost cutting to the point that you won't find a true luxury experience unless booking a true 6* line etc. The Celebrity product is what it is right now. I think her answers kind of confirmed what we already know in the fact that their product won't improve to what it was in days gone by. But if an  ship sails has an attractive itinerary at the right price we'll still book, just with the right expectations. I'm more open to sailing other lines than ever though. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mynki said:

I commented on one of my questions how she clearly misunderstood or more likely didn't read the opening post. She very graciously replied claiming she'll have the relevant people look at it. Will it happen? I doubt it, but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.  :) :) :)

I concluded long ago that all of the mass market lines are cost cutting to the point that you won't find a true luxury experience unless booking a true 6* line etc. The Celebrity product is what it is right now. I think her answers kind of confirmed what we already know in the fact that their product won't improve to what it was in days gone by. But if an  ship sails has an attractive itinerary at the right price we'll still book, just with the right expectations. I'm more open to sailing other lines than ever though. 

I'm not a business person but have to keep people on board in my job. I would have looked at the threads, seen one that stood out and then shown that I could respond to it to be seen to be listening. Basically one that was a no brainer, not a big thing to change but one to compromise on and show that peoples' opinions are valued. Footstools stand out to me - why not just admit that there are a lot of people asking about it and put the things back. Good PR response and keeps people happy. and if they haven't thrown them all away not a big cost. It isn't rocket science.

Her answers were too PR for me and not enough of her as a person - sometimes why not admit you were wrong and change things as much as you can? Little tweaks that show you really are a people person. Little wins that cost not a lot.

Just my thoughts

PS And those bleep bleep non reclining chairs on Edge -- I pray that they are more comfortable than they look --- a low back, non reclining chair that is plastic in the Eastern Med in August is going to be … not good me thinks. I'll let you know and grovel if I am wrong !

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Her answers were too PR for me and not enough of her as a person - sometimes why not admit you were wrong and change things as much as you can? Little tweaks that show you really are a people person. Little wins that cost not a lot.

She did that in several threads.  She even came back to several of them and posted more.  

LLP's answers reflected what she sees as her responsibility to her Board and Shareholders. Interesting that when a suggestion, like a laundry package was presented she jumped all over it and so would I as a CEO. Laundry packages would create another income flow that would boast the bottomline. Encouraging spending whether in the shops, or excursions, or by using Choice Air would also expand revenue, especially among some who just needed some points to get to the next level. However, when a question would create an outflow of revenue she was careful to give a politically correct  answer that would indicate a negative response without actually saying "no". LLP is a bright, articulate and in person very gracious. Her answers were just as I anticipated.

I for one appreciate that LLP went through and provided an answer for every question.  Some questions directed to her were important, some were very directed and then some were trivial but she went through all of them.  There has been some disappointment here on the general nature of the responses or even lack of specific responses or actions.  But it was "CEO Speak" after all.  What did we expect?  If you have ever been in a big corporation and had a town hall type meeting with the CEO, this was pretty similar.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If you have ever been in a big corporation and had a town hall type meeting with the CEO, this was pretty similar.  

I've been in many as I used to work for Europe's largest bank. The CEO or other very senior directors faced far more challenging questions than those on here face to face. They all did a much better job of responding than LLP. That said I appreciate the reply's were to fellow colleagues and not customers. Brits are often a lot more direct, blunt and to the point than other nationalities at times too. 

A few more "I'll speak to the relevant people involved and come back to you" would have given the impression at least that she was more engaged. I've not read the laundry thread but I'm unsurprised that got her attention for the reasons given above. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Mynki said:

I've been in many as I used to work for Europe's largest bank. The CEO or other very senior directors faced far more challenging questions than those on here face to face. They all did a much better job of responding than LLP. That said I appreciate the reply's were to fellow colleagues and not customers. Brits are often a lot more direct, blunt and to the point than other nationalities at times too. 

A few more "I'll speak to the relevant people involved and come back to you" would have given the impression at least that she was more engaged. I've not read the laundry thread but I'm unsurprised that got her attention for the reasons given above. 

I think that's the key thing here.  This wasn't Q&A for a panel of executives.  This was a Q&A from the CEO of a ?billion dollar company (what % of RCL is celebrity).  I doubt she has much to do in the day to day planning of menus on the different dining room.  What she does know is that there is a team for that which does produce new menu items on a continual basis, i mean, what more do you want?

If you look, she actually answered the strategic questions, which is what CEO's are responsible for.  It's not her fault people are asking the CEO for all sorts of random stuff she would have to ask other executives and directors about. 

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

If you look, she actually answered the strategic questions, which is what CEO's are responsible for.  It's not her fault people are asking the CEO for all sorts of random stuff she would have to ask other executives and directors about. 

Then she could have asked them to review the questions before she replied --- it isn't rocket science. When a CDEO becomes distanced from the basic issues that worry their customers then this really is not good in any company. Perhaps things work differently in the US than the UK. This is what the CC issue is about --- perhaps she needs to do 'Undercover Boss' ….

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Basically one that was a no brainer, not a big thing to change but one to compromise on and show that peoples' opinions are valued. Footstools stand out to me - why not just admit that there are a lot of people asking about it and put the things back. Good PR response and keeps people happy. and if they haven't thrown them all away not a big cost. It isn't rocket science.

I would have rather had a direct answer like,"No,I'm sorry but Celebrity has decided to eliminate the footstools for what ever reason or for no reason at all. I might not like the answer but at least it's direct and to the point. Instead she passed the buck to the room attendants and sets them up to be the bad guy when there are no stools to hand out. Now all you have is a more pissed off passenger when they are denied a footstool. I understand the vague answers on suggestions for services that don't exist as she just can't give an answer off the top of her head without researching first.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didnt read through all the posts but did anyone get any kind of an answer regarding a new level between elite plus and zenith?

Not that it really matters to us anymore we have only one celeb sailing and all the rest elsewhere, where there is very little classicism, all get treated the same, all is included.

Yes paying a bit more, but not that much more and getting a lot more. 

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I would have rather had a direct answer like,"No,I'm sorry but Celebrity has decided to eliminate the footstools for what ever reason or for no reason at all. I might not like the answer but at least it's direct and to the point. Instead she passed the buck to the room attendants and sets them up to be the bad guy when there are no stools to hand out. Now all you have is a more pissed off passenger when they are denied a footstool. I understand the vague answers on suggestions for services that don't exist as she just can't give an answer off the top of her head without researching first.

She's had a week or more to research these questions .. or get someone to do it for her …

No one in business is going to give a direct answer --- I don't expect that at all to be honest --- I do expect well thought out ones when she's had a long time to look at them. Does anyone else think that the 12th was the day she saw them for the first time ???

I give her credit for coming here and addressing the questions she did. There really is good way to please all the people or answer all the questions on social media. It is a no win situation as evidenced by all the whining here.

And yes, she answered the question about a level between elite plus and zenith several times.  The answer was NO!

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I find interesting is on all the cruise forums I have read there is a group that is unhappy with the direction the line is going, increasing costs etc. and is either leaving or threatening to leave because of the changes. 

We know Disney went from being similar in price to RCCL to double or more pretty much overnight while taking perks away too, probably sounds familiar. 

We have become free agents of sorts, but have liked RCCL and Celebrity so far as well as our old line. If some move on, the grass can be greener on the other side, but we are watching the overall pricing trends, and it seems all lines are changing things up. Cruising trends will be interesting to watch over the next ten years. We are hoping Disney’s prices correct themselves once they get to 7 ships, but not holding my breath on that one. 

I don’t think all that switch lines have as good as luck as we did, but hope those that do switch are happy with their choice. 

Edited by cgolf1

"Reef Safe"  Sunscreen..available for purchase on the Boat???...wow..I did get a 'response' assuring me that Celebrity was selling such'  products'  on board. (read the fine print like they do at XCaret..ha ha.)  .I am so  pleased that it gave me an opportunity to promote 'reef safe' products and the critical ingredients of such on CC.  My sister and I learnt about this issue after visiting XCaret, Cozumel, XTrip...Just because the product says it's 'organic'..doesn't make it 'reef safe'. ..ha ha back on Reflection Feb 10!!

46 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

46 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I don’t think all that switch lines have as good as luck as we did, but hope those that do switch are happy with their choice. 

I don't think it's a matter of switching lines. I sail on which ever has the price and itinerary that works for me. However my accommodations will be different. Going forward I will book an ocean view instead of a balcony on Celebrity. No sense paying the extra money if the furniture isn't comfortable. I won't sail on Princess Royal class ships as they don't have ocean view rooms and the balconies are too small. I will only sail Royal Caribbean when school is in session. I keep looking at NCL but by the time they add in all of the not so free perks the cruise is too expensive. The passengers who have the real issues are the ones that are locked in to their loyalty status. They may have to sacrifice the footstool so they can cash in on their happy hours. There is no one perfect line. You just have to be flexible to the changes.

• Like 2

I'm happy she is here.  On most lines, no executive is present to answer questions.  And at least one fellow Cool Cruiser got a direct answer that his B2B2B did not violate the Jones Act, as Celebrity had claimed (even though the Jones Act does not apply to people), did not violate the PVSA (which does apply to people), and got things straightened out.   

My own parochial interest is that we are booked on the Xpedition.  The Xpedition has had licensing issues and cruises have been cancelled, usually with just a few days notice.  Many cruisers report generous offers with respect to substitute Galapagos cruises or refunds and future discounts.   And it is certainly in Celebrity's own economic interest to solve this problem and start making money from the unique opportunity they have in the Galapgos.  (And we are shareholders, so we want Celebrity to make money.  No shareholder credit in the Galapagos.) 

When we book a cruise, as many do here, we need to arrange for time off from work, and coordinate other family, personal and business obligations.  For us, there is often only a small two week window in the Fall in which we can cruise, and as soon as we identify it we are looking at our vacation opportunities.

So what did the President say about Celebrity's problems in the Galapagos:

"Hello!

We have been going through the necessary regulatory process for Celebrity Xpedition and this is taking longer than anticipated. Please continue to check the website for updates over the coming weeks and months. 

Thank you and have a great rest of your day!"

If you actually go to the website, the only thing you can figure out is that Celebrity is not booking the Xpedition any longer this year.  And you figure that out by trying to book a cruise.  There is nothing else.  There are no updates.  Other Celebrity reps have told our fellow cruisers that there will be no public posting, but that affected cruisers will be notified.  (Anecdotal experience is that they receive a letter about a week before their flight to Quito.)

So why say "look for updates" when there are none?  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't think it's a matter of switching lines. I sail on which ever has the price and itinerary that works for me. However my accommodations will be different. Going forward I will book an ocean view instead of a balcony on Celebrity. No sense paying the extra money if the furniture isn't comfortable. I won't sail on Princess Royal class ships as they don't have ocean view rooms and the balconies are too small. I will only sail Royal Caribbean when school is in session. I keep looking at NCL but by the time they add in all of the not so free perks the cruise is too expensive. The passengers who have the real issues are the ones that are locked in to their loyalty status. They may have to sacrifice the footstool so they can cash in on their happy hours. There is no one perfect line. You just have to be flexible to the changes.

We tend  to sail off peak as well and mostly in inside rooms because we never used a balcony much when we had one. We are starting to like the forward facing oceanview rooms and have our second booked on the Apex. 

I just can’t wait till my wife gets some more vaca time in her new job. Celebrity has had some great last minute deals I would have jumped at. We can be flexible time wise and that is an easy way to score good deals. 

We had max loyalty with Disney but realized we weren’t giving up much moving to a new line. 

Edited by cgolf1

20 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

Quite surprised about the expectations of some here.

If you watch other cruiseline boards, this happened before again and again.

She's the CEO of a listed corporate with a strong brand identity.

Everybody who has worked for a corporate brand knows, that the most value asset is the brand.

Every employee, and particularly the CEO has the main goal to stengthen and protect the brand.

She as the head has to stand up for her corporate, her brand and her employees.

From a brand, NEVER expect that they admit: "Yeah, we have screwed this up".

She may get sued from her shareholders for damaging the brand.

The thing is, disrespecting customers and covering things up also "damages the brand..."

Customers actually respect someone who acts with integrity, not someone passing the buck, then making false excuses, all not to admit there is actually an issue.

• Like 1