Mitsugirly BREAKAWAYs for a summer cruise: Review/Pictorial

mitsugirly

On 9/11/2019 at 11:15 PM, canadianbear said:

I have been quietly following you and your ordeal.  I’m so sorry that things are not improving.  Being in pain and not sleeping much is horrible.  Add on the fight you’re having with your employer and coverage-unbelievable.  

You have a lot of support from the forum and add me to it.  Hang in there and I hope things improve soon for you.

Aww, thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:09 AM, indygirl76 said:

Kim, I know you're a nurse and are on top of stuff, but the pain getting worse (and not better) with time has me VERY concerned. 😞 What did the doc say about that?? So sorry you're dealing with all of this!

All they can say to me is "you really took a bad fall and was pretty mangled and it is to be expected". They say that all the swelling is making the pain worse but nothing can be done about that at this time because the swelling is being caused by the blockage in my legs. Blockage=swelling due to no blood return=added pain + blood thinners=slower healing process=additional pain. 😞 

On 9/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, kpark895 said:

Kim, I am so sorry you are continuing to deal with not only your injury, but all the bureaucratic crap.  As you are a medical professional, I know you are keeping on top of everything, please keep doing so.  If you feel something isn't right, the odds are it truly isn't right.

Exactly. I preach to my patients all the time about "only you know if something isn't right in your body". I'm just glad I took my own advice with the deep pain I was having in my legs...I just "knew" it was due to blood clots...and I was right.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, LeesaB said:

Ugh, that all sounds horrible.  I'm not a medical expert so have no advice to add on that one.

With Sakari's situation, that really sucks too.  Last year it took an hour and 15 minutes for my son to get home from school, which I thought was long enough!  (But then, we live 10 minutes away from school so there's definitely a certain level of whaaa...? to bus routes.)  Is she using the time well?  My kiddo never had any homework since he had plenty of time to get it done after school, lol.  Maybe you should get her some Spanish language lessons to help fill her time so she can converse with everyone when you start cruising again.  Or heck, a tablet with movies loaded!

I've been going around and around with transportation and getting no where. I actually emailed the superintendent the other day and they replied by saying they would forward my email to the transportation supervisor. It's just ridiculous to have a 11 year old on a bus for that long. In 2 1/2 hours...I could drive to another state from where we are located in the middle of our state in 2 hours and 10 minutes so that's saying a lot. My email to them was very extensive (everyone on here should understand because I'm a lengthy-type-of-person as you can tell by my reviews) and I also included maps and drawings of suggestions and showed them the route to take with all the stops that would work best. LOL

There are only 11 kids on her bus (including her). They drop off all 10 other kids and are by our house (within 5 min down the street) twice and do not drop her off. INSTEAD...they take her (since she's the only one left on the bus) to an elementary school, where they WAIT for the elementary kids to get out of school, load them on the bus, THEN drop off all of them...THEN when all the kids are gone, they bring her home! Like seriously??????

She has been getting all of her homework done in study hall at school. The only homework she brings home requires a computer. She has been taking her ipad and drawing during this long trip but I suspect looking down to draw on it, on a bumpy bus, while taking crazy turns...contributes to her getting sick daily. NOT TO MENTION...HER CRAZY BUS DRIVER GOT INTO AN ACCIDENT THE OTHER DAY AND RAN INTO A PARKING LIGHT POLE IN THE MIDDLE OF AN EMPTY PARKING LOT!!! Sakari was the only one on the bus and she was not hurt...but geesh, where do they find these drivers at? They are ALWAYS late to school and she's been missing breakfast at times. I can't stand this bus system.

I do know that she did not sign up for the foreign language class in school but somehow it ended up on her schedule. 😄  I don't think she's taking it yet...and she might not be excited about it...but I sure am!

On 9/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, SenatorsFan said:

OMG, Kim. Poor you. Here's hoping you get some relief soon. 

And, that's horrible about Sakari's bus ride.

Heather

Oh it's a nightmare (read above).

On 9/12/2019 at 11:44 AM, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I have read this entire thread but haven't posted until now.  Really loved the review and pics, feel like I'm part of the family now.  I sure hope you get better soon!

Welcome to the family. I like a big family. 🙂  Thanks for posting and glad you joined us.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:46 AM, AKR2011 said:

I am so sorry to hear that you are not getting better 😥 I am thinking of your family and only wishing you the best. Despite the long bus ride, I hope that Sakari is enjoying art school. It really is an incredible accomplishment, and I look forward to seeing her drawings again when you travel...because I know that you will get better and travel again. This whole community is here to support you!

Thank you so much! I appreciate the kind words.

She is really enjoying school so far. I got a really nice email from her teacher the other day "Sakari is a wonderful young lady and I'm loving getting to know her.  Her artistic abilities are amazing and she seems to be adjusting to Middle School very well.  She is making friends and putting forth great effort in her classes."   It warmed my heart, but yet didn't surprise me of course. She's just such a loving and caring child. 

23 hours ago, mopedmom1 said:

Oh Kim, I hope healing and relief come soon for you. My DH is on a blood thinner and is freezing all the time. Will you be able to discontinue them after the clots are dissolved? 

Two plus hours for a bus ride is insane! Hopefully there is an easy remedy for this. It always seems to pour and not sprinkle when issues crop up. Hang in there and don't be afraid to ask for help. I'm a giver and not a taker, as I'm sure you are as well, but sometimes we need a little assistance. Maybe a neighbor or friend could help transport Sakari until a better resolution is found? Do they issue a hardship drivers license at 12? Lol!

Thanks so much for sharing your DH's story. I know I'm not the only one with this freezing issue...otherwise it wouldn't be all over the web...but yet they don't list it as a side-effect. How odd.

I have yet to find someone to manage my blood thinners. I can't get anyone to call me back. It's just such a struggle! I was told in the ER (when they put me on them) that I would be on it "Anywhere from 6 months to a year and some people are on them for life"....so that doesn't really narrow it down. LOL

Sakari's bus ride is crazy. See the story above that I posted to LeesaB. It's just uncalled for!

Actually my neighbor volunteered to take her to school daily because she passes by there going to work every day. They did a couple trial runs this week and it looks like it's going to work out good. The only issue is that she does take a lot of days off for vacation (been there for years and has accumulated a lot of time) AND she does work from home several times a month. My concern is that if Sakari isn't at the bus stop every morning, they will stop coming there. However, this is only a solution to the mornings...which really isn't much of a problem because her morning route is only 1 hour long and not 2 1/2 hours. So, the real problem is the evening route.

My hubby has been taking off work daily to pick her up at school in the afternoons until we hear something. It's such a hassle though to have to close up and go get her on a daily basis.

I just hope they figure it out soon.

23 hours ago, pghsteelerfan said:

So sorry to hear the pain is getting worse and not better.  😥  I just hope you get some good answers and relief soon, and hoping no more scary setbacks.  And 2 1/2 hours for Sakari on the bus home?  WTH???  And I complained about my former commute (and the same one my husband still does), 1 1/2 - 2 hours, each way.  But that was for a job, not school.  That is totally ridiculous.  Will keep the good juju/vibes coming your way. 

Holly

Thanks Holly. I appreciate the comments.

Yea, the drive for Sakari is just insane! (See my lengthy explanation above at LeesaB).

Feeling those juju/vibes today. I'm feeling a little better (at least at the moment).

23 hours ago, AmyJA said:

GEEZE PEAS GIRL ! !

I leave on Breakaway this coming Sunday and wanted to thank you for your report. 

Just...hell heck...just take care of yourself.

LOL thanks so much! I hope you have a wonderful time on the Breakaway. I suspect it will be a lot better now that the kiddos have gone back to school and less crowded!

22 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

Omigosh, Kim! I was hoping the next time you updated us, it would be with good news. You were always on the go and busy, this must really be hard for you, not to even mention the hellish pain you’re going through. I’ll be praying that you get some relief soon and on your way to a full recovery.

I was hoping so too trust me. This has been VERY hard for me. I'm a multitasker and always on the move. Being confined to a bed with my leg propped up for 90% of the day is just depressing. My oldest daughter and youngest son comes over a lot of visit to keep me company and help me out with things around the house. She actually took me grocery shopping yesterday (it was a 4 hour ordeal from start to finish) and I was in so much pain at the end of it, but at least I have food in the house now and don't have to depend on someone to bring me my meals or make them. LOL She also set me up with her Netflix so I have now found some tv series to watch and have been entertaining myself with that all week. haha

22 hours ago, firedisney97 said:

Kim, I don't post often but I have been thinking about you and hoped that you busy doing all that paperwork for your office while you were laid up.   I will keep crossing fingers and toes you get some answers, and some pain relief soon

Nope, no paperwork. I'm not working. I have to lay with my leg elevated due to the swelling. They will not release me now, especially since I have the blood clots.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

19 hours ago, BigNance said:

Kim, 

That all sounds terrible!  With the increased pain and swelling have they even considered some type of infection in there??

I know you are a nurse and probably on top of things.  You have my prayers on this ordeal!!!

Hope it helps!

The increased swelling is being caused by very little blood flow return due to the 3 blood clots in my legs. They told me to massage my foot, pushing upward, to help with the return flow...which works, but the minute you stop, it fills back up. So, that's not gonna work. I can't do that all day not to mention it's very uncomfortable and painful after awhile. Thanks so much for the prayers.

4 hours ago, AmyJA said:

Leg pressure machine? 

They can be spendy though.

It's already too late for that since I already have the blood clots. Plus, I have a break up above too. Something pressing on it would not be good for healing as they want it to remain together to heal properly (which was one of the reasons for putting a plate on that side to bring the bone back together and repair the ligaments).  🙂

Hello Kim

I happened to be watching the third hour of the Today show this morning and they had a story that may help you with buying your medication.

There is a non- profit organization started by graduates of Stanford University that matches people with surplus medication. They get medication from hospitals,nursing homes and individuals who may not need to finish a supply of drugs prescribed for them. The organization then matches people with medication that they need,but may not be able to afford.

There is a range of medications that they deal with ,however they do not supply opioids. A certified pharmacist fills prescriptions for program participants.

The organization is named Sirum and they have a web site sirum.org where you can get information about their program.

I read in one of your posts that you were prescribed very expensive medication, I recall that it is for the blood clots. When I listened to the report this morning, I thought of you. Maybe this organization can help you.

I wish you continued healing and strength to get through this time.

11 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Hello Kim

I happened to be watching the third hour of the Today show this morning and they had a story that may help you with buying your medication.

There is a non- profit organization started by graduates of Stanford University that matches people with surplus medication. They get medication from hospitals,nursing homes and individuals who may not need to finish a supply of drugs prescribed for them. The organization then matches people with medication that they need,but may not be able to afford.

There is a range of medications that they deal with ,however they do not supply opioids. A certified pharmacist fills prescriptions for program participants.

The organization is named Sirum and they have a web site sirum.org where you can get information about their program.

I read in one of your posts that you were prescribed very expensive medication, I recall that it is for the blood clots. When I listened to the report this morning, I thought of you. Maybe this organization can help you.

I wish you continued healing and strength to get through this time.

Thanks. I looked at their website and it seems like they take donations from other organizations (like nursing homes, hospitals, pharmacies and so on) then the medications are distributed to other organizations in need, but it's not a place that a person can get the medications. I did email them asking how an individual could obtain some of these meds and what organization would they go to. (Hoping maybe they had one of these organizations in my area they send the meds to that would allow me to purchase the meds at a cheaper cost). 

Thank you so much for the info. I really appreciate it and this wonderful cruise community that looks out for one another. You guys are amazing!

• Like 1

Hi Kim

I thought it was something to look into.

The reporter interviewed an older man who needed cholesterol lowering meds and BP meds as he had suffered a stroke He stopped taking the medication because of cost. Somehow he is now receiving the medication he needs through the program. 

I really hope something works out for you.

Kim-I am a nurse with years of ED, ICU and nursing experience. I looked at the pics of your leg and read the last two pages of your thread about the PA who is providing your care. I have also been a CNO for years and know the healthcare scene. What can I do to help?

I am concerned looking at your leg pics as I know you are. If I could talk with you, that would help. I prefer not to post my own thoughts. I am not as tech savvy as you are :) Is there some link you can provide or tell me how to provide a link to me and let's talk by phone or email?. If you provide a link, I will give you my name and you can look me up on the Internet. I am real and a nurse colleague who cares and wants to see you getting better. I extend my offer to help; you have given so much to all of us (and your family) and I cannot think of you being in this situation without reaching out to you.

PS When you are better I know you will be focused on this ridiculous bus service that your beautiful Sakari is dealing with!

Kim  --  Just catching up on the past week of updates.  Wow - that's all I can say...  I expected to hear you'd been up dancing w/ Sakari.  I hope the Medical Team soon find the solutions to your swelling, clots, fluid retention & coldness!!!   I wish there was something the CC Peeps could do to make you healthy again, in the short term - just know our thoughts & prayers are with you...

A 2-1/2 bus ride is Crazy  --  here's hoping they'll have it figured out shortly!

On 9/11/2019 at 9:56 PM, mitsugirly said:

Thank you so much.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the review.

LOL about your feet not in a beauty contest. I've always been the type that didn't have sensitive feet and could run on rocks or whatever with no problems or feet peeling. This time...wow...even my husbands feet peeled too. It was a mess.

Yea, these passengers this cruise was over the top! I've never experienced that before...ever! Not on any cruise line and not on any Spring Break cruise. It was just a hot mess!

It not only rains and pours here, but I'm expecting a tornado any day now. Things don't seem to be getting any better and the pain is only getting worse. 😞 My foot looks like it's ready to explode and no blood return is causing it.

The cast was only on for 1 week and then removed along with removing the stitches. I'm just wrapped up now with daily dressing changes. At least I'm able to keep a good eye on it now and see if anything goes wrong.

It really doesn't seem like that long ago Sakari was so small and now heels and middle school. Yikes!

Thanks for the juju vibes! I really need them.

Thanks for asking and sorry to report nothing is getting any better. 😞

Good to know that maybe they are changing the process of getting off the ship and looking at passports. But the long lines winding around the ship are a little crazy.

Aww thanks so much. I appreciate it.

So my updates on my leg. Things have not been improving. There have been no changes other than the pain and swelling are increasing. It's almost to an unbearable stage that I had to call the ortho doctor yesterday to make an emergency appointment. I couldn't wait another 4 weeks for a check up.

All my problems explained to the ortho PA: increased pain and swelling to the point I'm in tears on a daily basis also only getting 2 hours of sleep at night before waking up in so much pain I can't sleep. Solution: they took me off the pain meds and put me on Tylenol and Gabapentin. 😫

Increased swelling in my foot: due to 3 blood clots in my legs and the blood is having problems returning and pooling in my foot. Solution: massage the foot in upward motion to get the blood to go up. So, this works...while you are doing it, but once you stop, it comes back! Ice and elevation does NOT work at all and makes my entire leg to my buttocks fall asleep. So, I have to go up and down with my leg constantly.

Incisions aren't healing and still leaking fluids which causes some skin to peel off every dressing change. Solution: stop using the emulsion dressing and go to a dry dressing to help create a scab that will stop the leaking.

Since being on the blood thinners, I am constantly freezing to the point I'm shivering but no temp. My house is between 80-83 daily and I'm covered in 3 comforters not being able to get warmed up. Per everything I have read, being cold is not a side effect and the PA wasn't sure. However, multiple searches revealed many people with this symptom.

Increased urine output: up every 2 hours at night and 1-2x every hour during the day. Once again, PA couldn't explain.

Blood in urine: It has subsided now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't come back.

Pain in patella that has been there since the fall with no bruising and I can't put my knee down on anything, such as a knee scooter, because of the pain. They xrayed it and said no breaks so solution is to start rubbing it to desensitize the pain. Also do the same with my incisions...rub to desensitize an decrease the pain. 😭

I'm sure I'm missing things...but I did once again inquire about them saying I will start walking on it in 4 more weeks. I think they are crazy! They keep telling me that my leg was a pretty bad break, 4 places, plus the plates and screws on both sides, plus the screws mobilizing both the tib and fib together, and I'll start walking in 4 more weeks? 😲 I can't even feel my swollen foot that is asleep most of the time! Both my neighbor and son in law had the breaks in the same area, but only 1 break and 1 plate and screws and they weren't walking until 5 months and still trying to walk normal at 7 months.

I still haven't got an approval from BWC. It's still pending despite everything turned in. But the employer is still fighting it saying I was finished with work for the day.

I haven't been able to get a return phone call about finding a new PCP that accepts BWC to monitor and prescribe my blood thinners. So, that's a work in progress and I just keep calling and leaving messages to the places they gave me.

Life is grand at the moment to say the least....🙄 I'm just dealing with so much...and so much going on with poor Sakari and her school transportation. She's now riding 2 1/2 hours on the bus to get home and I've been fighting them about that. It's just a mess.

Thanks everyone for thinking of me and sending positive thoughts. I really appreciate my cruising community and the care and support you all have given me during this tough time.

Of course we are thinking of you. I can really identify with what you are going through. My leg problem can not compare with yours. It is a long story so won't go into detail, but I have a sore on my leg that is now 4 months old; poor circulation isn't helping. The doctor or doctors have done everything and it still won't heal: sore, hard to turn over in bed, etc and I get pissed at the slow healing process. I am so sorry you have to go through all this. The only thing that can help you is trying to keep a positive thought somehow and look forward to your next cruise. 

14 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Hi Kim

I thought it was something to look into.

The reporter interviewed an older man who needed cholesterol lowering meds and BP meds as he had suffered a stroke He stopped taking the medication because of cost. Somehow he is now receiving the medication he needs through the program. 

I really hope something works out for you.

They did email me back with with a list of their resources (only 1 pharmacy in my area)  and several National resources (places like GoodRx, which I have to say I have already tried a lot of these including GoodRx, which was suggested by my pharmacy and the price of my meds went from $760 to $660 so it didn't help much).  But I'll continue to check into the list they gave me. Thank you so much for this information. I really appreciate you thinking and looking out for me. My heart melts. 🥰

12 hours ago, Loucat said:

Kim-I am a nurse with years of ED, ICU and nursing experience. I looked at the pics of your leg and read the last two pages of your thread about the PA who is providing your care. I have also been a CNO for years and know the healthcare scene. What can I do to help?

I am concerned looking at your leg pics as I know you are. If I could talk with you, that would help. I prefer not to post my own thoughts. I am not as tech savvy as you are :) Is there some link you can provide or tell me how to provide a link to me and let's talk by phone or email?. If you provide a link, I will give you my name and you can look me up on the Internet. I am real and a nurse colleague who cares and wants to see you getting better. I extend my offer to help; you have given so much to all of us (and your family) and I cannot think of you being in this situation without reaching out to you.

PS When you are better I know you will be focused on this ridiculous bus service that your beautiful Sakari is dealing with!

I have a website (in my signature) that has a contact link. Please contact me.

12 hours ago, Von & John said:

Kim  --  Just catching up on the past week of updates.  Wow - that's all I can say...  I expected to hear you'd been up dancing w/ Sakari.  I hope the Medical Team soon find the solutions to your swelling, clots, fluid retention & coldness!!!   I wish there was something the CC Peeps could do to make you healthy again, in the short term - just know our thoughts & prayers are with you...

A 2-1/2 bus ride is Crazy  --  here's hoping they'll have it figured out shortly!

I really wish dancing with Sakari was an option at this time. :( I would give anything. Thank you so much for your thoughts!

11 hours ago, cincicruisers said:

Kim

i wish I had something to offer that would help.  You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep the faith!

Thank you so much.

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Of course we are thinking of you. I can really identify with what you are going through. My leg problem can not compare with yours. It is a long story so won't go into detail, but I have a sore on my leg that is now 4 months old; poor circulation isn't helping. The doctor or doctors have done everything and it still won't heal: sore, hard to turn over in bed, etc and I get pissed at the slow healing process. I am so sorry you have to go through all this. The only thing that can help you is trying to keep a positive thought somehow and look forward to your next cruise. 

I feel your pain. I have always been a slow healer. I had a slight torn rotator cuff (not bad enough to operate) that took 2 years to heal and getting multiple steroid shots for pain relief while it did.Sleeping was so hard. Any time I do anything, it always takes forever to heal and it sucks. I have always had poor circulation (especially in my legs) and can't sit for long with everything falling asleep Stay positive yourself and know that I know exactly what you are dealing with and my thoughts are with you as well.

Hello. I’ve just read your review. I hope everything starts to heal properly and you get the proper medical care that you need. 

We took our first NCL cruise on the Breakaway in April. We have cruised extensively on other lines but wanted to give NCL a try. I must say, we won’t be going again. We found a lot of the same issues that you did. We found the ship very dark and crowded but the worst thing for us is that the smoke from the casino wafted everywhere. I also thought the crew, who worked very hard seemed a bit demoralized. They weren’t unfriendly by any means just didn’t seem to be very happy. It was just a weird cruise for us. 

Kim, like everyone else here,  I was hoping to check back in with you to find that you were healing well and making good progress. Unfortunately, I’m finding that is not what has been going on with you. I am sorry to hear about all of the difficulties you are facing. I hope you turn the corner soon, and everything starts getting better for you.

I’ve chosen an angel fish to send your way today. This angel is carrying all the positive juju and healing it can to you to help in your recovery. 

540A11A5-C7F9-4350-B27F-7008B9D70D66.jpeg

• Like 1

Mitsugirly, so sorry to hear about these continued medical problems. It is crazy the amount of damage a simple fall can do.  I cannot imagine how hard it is to stay strong.  But you are strong.  That comes through in all of your writing.  One of my son’s had a 2 hour bus ride last year.  He started listening to telemundo on the bus to work on his Spanish.  He said he hated the network (lol) but that it really did help him speak better.  Maybe you can find Sakari something fun to occupy her time on the bus?  You also should figure out a project to keep you busy and help the time pass.  I am not very creative, but maybe others on the boards have good ideas on this?  Know that you have a lot of people out here who care about you.

2 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Mitsugirly, so sorry to hear about these continued medical problems. It is crazy the amount of damage a simple fall can do.  I cannot imagine how hard it is to stay strong.  But you are strong.  That comes through in all of your writing.  One of my son’s had a 2 hour bus ride last year.  He started listening to telemundo on the bus to work on his Spanish.  He said he hated the network (lol) but that it really did help him speak better.  Maybe you can find Sakari something fun to occupy her time on the bus?  You also should figure out a project to keep you busy and help the time pass.  I am not very creative, but maybe others on the boards have good ideas on this?  Know that you have a lot of people out here who care about you.

One of these days there will be a favorable report from you. Let's just hope it is sooner than later. I know this has to be HELL for you. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 1:51 PM, mitsugirly said:

We'll start with the "formalities" and get that out of the way. (Mostly copied from all of my other reviews, because things don't seem to change too much) with any updates we might have added/adjusted.

PLEASE NOTE>>> My reviews are LONG...as in VERY LONG, with a lot of details, A LOT of pictures and this is the experience of my family on the cruise, sorta like a blog.

*So, if you are not into long reviews and want something short, sweet and to the point...this review is not for you.

*If you expect this review to be done quickly and you don't like to wait...this review is not for you.

*If you don't like personal details of our daily activities, this review is not for you.

*If you expect me to sugar coat everything, this review is not for you.

*If you think I tell you about something that wasn't appealing or I didn't really care for or seen happen and you consider me "complaining" or unhappy...this review is not for you.

I'm open, I'm honest, we have a good time no matter what, but I report everything I see. It doesn't make or break my cruise or experience and I always manage to have a great time no matter what.

It's sad I feel the need to say these things with my reviews now due to certain people who like to come on a be rude in the past.

However, if you like to laugh, get a chuckle every once in a while, think of our family and some of the things we do that could be pictured on "the people of Walmart" and want details and pictures of places...you have come to the right place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Cruising Experience:

As you can tell from my signature line, we used to mainly cruise with NCL and I have been trying to cruise the entire fleet but have been adventuring out over the last few years with Carnival and also Royal Caribbean. We love them all.

In the
80's and 90's I also sailed with NCL and Royal Caribbean.

This will make my 24th cruise, my husband's 22nd cruise I think? After a while, things are starting to run together.
and Sakari's 21st cruise...??? I've lost track to tell you the truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ORGANIZATION FOR THE REVIEWS:

People always ask how I organize for my reviews and it takes A LOT to put together a review like this. Once I decided to post how I personally organize for my reviews and if you are interested, it can be found HERE-1ST HALF and the 2ND HALF HERE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CAMERAS:

I am constantly questioned about what type of camera's I use for my reviews.

Several years ago I decided to purchase my first Olympus point-and-shoot camera (not by choice, but because I had one of my many "bloopers" with my Canon cameras). I have loved the Olympus since that purchase that we actually have quite a few of them.

This entire review was shot with my Olympus Tough TG2 & a few with the 620. I take my model 620 & 830 along with me for back up because you never know what might happen and I would be devastated if I was without a camera. A few years ago, we also purchased Sakari her own camera (the 620 model) and she uses hers as well (which she managed to crack the screen on it during school camp last year so it's strictly a "land" camera now).

I'm a photography FREAK! Always have been. I do have a DSLR with tons of equipment, lens, and so on, but I find that I just don't want to lug it around with me on a cruise...and of course, it's not waterproof.

When I process my photo's, I do take it into PS (I have to get my watermark on there somehow) and I have an "action" that resizes the picture for a more appropriate posting size, and sharpens for web and I put my stamp on it. Every once in a while I'll get a really crappy picture that just needs something (like white balance) done to it and I really want to share it and I might white balance it. For the most part, I don't do much of anything...no one has time for all that with the thousands of pictures I take!

I take thousands of pictures on vacation and I do a lot of walking and snapping. Yes, I may get some outstanding photos and quality, but for every good picture I get, there may be 3 bad ones. You win some, you lose some. I've been known to stand in a spot and take 3-5 pictures of the same thing, using different settings on the camera, just to get what I'm looking for to share. That's just me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ABOUT MY REVIEWS:

I am a very open and honest person. Everyone has a different expectation and experience, but I report how I feel during mine. You may or may not agree with my thoughts or views, but that's the beauty of it...everyone is different and all thoughts and comments are welcome.

We are a fun loving and outgoing family that, for the most part, don't get upset about much and roll with the punches. We've had a lot of "bloopers" (especially when the kids come along=Kendra lol), but it is what it is and I have learned over the years that getting mad or upset doesn't solve the problem and only takes away from the fun, so I try not to dwell on bad things (although I will always report them...not to be a Debbie-Downer, but to show this is the experience I had and how it contributed to what was going on at the time) and I move on.

We are BEACH people. So, if you are the touristy type of person that likes historical stuff, seeing the sites, or likes to do the land tours, this review might not benefit you too much as far as the ports. If there's a beach, we will be there! I have to drag Sakari the Mermaid out of the water every place we go. So, to the beach it is for us.

Sakari decided in 2016 that she wanted to "be a scuba diver" and took classes and became a certified PADI Seal that year. In December 2 years ago, she finished all the PADI classes and became a MASTER PADI SEAL!! I think she was one of the first at her scuba shop to complete the program. They made quite a big deal over it. She went to class monthly and started repeating the classes for the fun of it. However, she has not been for almost a year now. The other kids in her class went on to get their Junior Certification and she was unable to because we were on a cruise during that time. So now, she just dives with us, doing the Discover Scuba, in one port each cruise.

So, you will find us doing some scuba diving in reviews as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LAST BUT NOT LEAST: WHY I DO THE REVIEWS

My reviews are meant to be helpful to others looking for information. I'm a "picture" kinda girl and if I'm looking for information, give me a picture to help me understand and it will go 10x further in helping me with a decision. So many of you wonderful cruisers have helped me decide places to try out, shared your experiences with me, and even cruised with me....and this is my way of thanking you and continuing to help others the way they have helped me.

I'm keeping this "opening" a little shorter than normal. Most people around here know me and I hate to constantly repeat things...so if you want a more detailed "opening" statement, you are welcome to click on one of my other reviews (in my signature line) and it will give you more info on us.  HOWEVER, cc has changed things up and not allowing more to be added to signature lines, so I ended up creating a website (below) and also a link that goes to a google document with a list of everything by ports, ships and so on (also in my signature line). Enjoy!

With that said...I hope you enjoy the review

Miss you. Glad you are back. Hate that I am getting a late start on your review! 

On 9/14/2019 at 3:32 PM, luvflorida said:

Hello. I’ve just read your review. I hope everything starts to heal properly and you get the proper medical care that you need. 

We took our first NCL cruise on the Breakaway in April. We have cruised extensively on other lines but wanted to give NCL a try. I must say, we won’t be going again. We found a lot of the same issues that you did. We found the ship very dark and crowded but the worst thing for us is that the smoke from the casino wafted everywhere. I also thought the crew, who worked very hard seemed a bit demoralized. They weren’t unfriendly by any means just didn’t seem to be very happy. It was just a weird cruise for us. 

Thanks so much.

April is during Spring Break and I'm wondering if that is the reason you got the same service/experience as we did cruising during the summer months. It's just weird because we have never experienced this with any other NCL ship we have been on. I'm really hoping it was just the time of year we went.

14 hours ago, perfect match said:

Kim, like everyone else here,  I was hoping to check back in with you to find that you were healing well and making good progress. Unfortunately, I’m finding that is not what has been going on with you. I am sorry to hear about all of the difficulties you are facing. I hope you turn the corner soon, and everything starts getting better for you.

I’ve chosen an angel fish to send your way today. This angel is carrying all the positive juju and healing it can to you to help in your recovery. 

Thanks so much. Thanks for the beautiful french angelfish. I just love them!

12 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Thank you. Thanks for all of your nice comments.

As of now, Sakari is riding with a neighbor to school and daddy is picking her up after school. It's very time consuming but we felt so bad for her. So, this will have to work until they come up with something better.

I do have several hobbies which include: scrapbooking every one of my cruises, shutterfly scrapbooking and printing off a book (both of these I am definitely far behind and need to get caught up...and actually did a shutterfly scrap book today) and my other passion is...I bet you can guess....photography. So, I guess the last hobby is out of the question at the moment since I can't get around or go outside. I'll have to put that passion on hold for now.

9 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

One of these days there will be a favorable report from you. Let's just hope it is sooner than later. I know this has to be HELL for you. 

I'm definitely hoping this next month provides some better outcomes.

3 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Sorry, I am not sure what you are saying?

NM Nita is saying that hopefully soon I'll have better news about my leg. :)

3 minutes ago, cruzin Phillis said:

Miss you. Glad you are back. Hate that I am getting a late start on your review! 

Thanks so much and hope you enjoy the review.

• Like 1

Hi Kim

I'm sorry you keep having these set backs. I am not a nurse (nor do I play one on tv) but you might want to look into a wound care doctor.  My mom fell & had a horrible bruise on her leg & it developed a blood clot & it started tunneling into her leg. Wound care was wonderful they had to heal her from the inside out but they have seen this before.  It seems your doctors are only concerned with the healing of your broken bones but you are having alot of side issues.

I wish you the best

• Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 2:43 PM, mitsugirly said:

Well today has been a much better day for me. The meds are finally keeping the pain under control but the constant numbness and tingling is quite annoying. But, I managed to get a shower today and I feel revived and have a better outlook on the day. You never know what you are missing until it's gone...like water! 🚿  I also never thought the day would come that I would be in a wheelchair....but here it is...my wheelchair was delivered today and I have to say it's a lot more comfortable than trying to push myself around on the office chair...not to mention it has the leg rest. My entire body is aching from hauling myself around all day and my hips, groin, good leg and shoulders are pretty sore these days.

So...on with the review...

DAY 3

ROATAN HONDURAS

We would be in port with Vista today and here from 10-6pm

The last time we were here we went scuba diving. However, the weather did not cooperate with us and we were unable to dive at West Bay like we had hoped. I had really wanted to go out to Mandy's Eel Garden, but with the weather, we had to go over to the other side, where it was calm, and dive at Flowers Bay (which was fabulous!).

Once again, I contacted the dive company in hopes that we would finally get to dive West Bay and Mandy's Eel Garden. I knew out of all the ports we would be going to, Roatan was the place to dive. Then I got bad news...the dive shop we used last time was booked with a bunch of people that were staying at a hotel on the island that day. I started searching for someone else and although the dive company I decided to go with was more expensive (both for the dive and the transportation), their communication and all the time they took to answer my hundreds to questions was just great customer service and I felt so comfortable with them. They did say they don't normally cater to cruise ship people, but obviously was not going to turn anyone down either. They normally didn't include any transportation to and from the ships, but would arrange it for me because that was just something that was very important to me to have included. They ended up charging us $25 pp for round trip (which was more than any other place quoted us) but I guess it was worth it to know that we had someone waiting for us. The cost of the dive was $125 pp PLUS tax, which I didn't realize until after the dive. Some of the other companies quoted a price and said that it included taxes. So, I was caught off guard when we went to pay for the dive and it was more than what I had brought.

P8120037%20copy-L.jpg

So we woke up and headed for breakfast. I opted for the already made omelette (this time it was spinach and cheese) and I really didn't eat too much for breakfast that morning. I'm not sure what is going on with me this cruise. I just really didn't feel hungry most of the time.

P8060255%20copy-L.jpg

We managed to get a window seat, which Sakari always loves.

P8060254%20copy-L.jpg

Pulling into the port. I knew it was going to be a good day and the weather was perfect. Look at that crystal clear water!!

P4140771%20copy-L.jpg

I'm not sure what they are building at the port. It looks like they are putting in another dock?

P4140775%20copy-L.jpg

P4140780%20copy-L.jpg

P4140782%20copy-L.jpg

P4140784%20copy-L.jpg

P4140788%20copy-L.jpg

P4140790%20copy-L.jpg

P4140791%20copy-L.jpg

P4140776%20copy-L.jpg

P4140781%20copy-L.jpg

Omg!!! What is that focus called?!?! Love it. Looks like a toy city!