Mitsugirly BREAKAWAYs for a summer cruise: Review/Pictorial

mitsugirly

On 8/25/2019 at 8:26 AM, mitsugirly said:

We didn't even have to fill out a form declaring what we bought. It was odd.

I got so behind, but caught up for the most part now.

I was told on Disney that they no longer require you to claim anything unless you made a big purchase and then I guess you are supposed to seek out for a form. Like who would do that or know to do that?

But it works for me. hahaha.

I know it wasn't your best cruise, but at least you had a get away and didn't have to work.   You still had some good ports too!

I am wondering how the Joy will be next summer when we sail her.  It's been about 4 or 5 years since I have been on NCL and there are so many changes.  But I just plan to go with the flow as much as I can.  I am debating on whether we want to add dining, but I think I should just save our money for excursions and eat the buffet or dining room. My spoiled steak loving daughter will complain, but she'll get over it.

18 hours ago, jenseib said:

I got so behind, but caught up for the most part now.

I was told on Disney that they no longer require you to claim anything unless you made a big purchase and then I guess you are supposed to seek out for a form. Like who would do that or know to do that?

But it works for me. hahaha.

I know it wasn't your best cruise, but at least you had a get away and didn't have to work.   You still had some good ports too!

I am wondering how the Joy will be next summer when we sail her.  It's been about 4 or 5 years since I have been on NCL and there are so many changes.  But I just plan to go with the flow as much as I can.  I am debating on whether we want to add dining, but I think I should just save our money for excursions and eat the buffet or dining room. My spoiled steak loving daughter will complain, but she'll get over it.

Well that's interesting. Is that only on NCL? Works for me as well. It was super cool that we got to do the whole security/customs thing right there on board before getting off. But, it felt weird. LOL

Yea, the ship itself wasn't the best rated cruise, but we still had a blast. Every port was great and on the ship Sakari had a great time with all of her friends every day and that's what it's all about. We didn't have a bad time by no means and I'm not complaining, it was just sooooo crowded and uncomfortable and bad service for the most part. But, hey...it was a cruise! :D

I would still love to try the Joy. I hope you have a wonderful cruise next year.

10 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Well that's interesting. Is that only on NCL? Works for me as well. It was super cool that we got to do the whole security/customs thing right there on board before getting off. But, it felt weird. LOL

In Calfornia, they did away with the customs forms quite a while ago. Of course, generally the cruises from here only include Mexico or Canada, as far as foreign ports, so that may have had something to do with it. That being said, I'm sure if they see you come off the ship with a couple of 4-packs of liquor from the FunShops, they may ask you to step aside and pay some duty on it. It's not too much, thought. I remember one time we came off with 3 cases of the Hennessy White (my DH loves it, and you an only get it in Duty Free shops). He had a wedding to be in and wanted some for gifts. They took us aside and I think he paid about $40 in duty on the 18 bottles. 

On 9/5/2019 at 3:53 PM, BigNance said:

How is your leg?  Are you recovering well after the setbacks?

Things only seem to be declining over here. Blood in urine today and an ortho that won't manage it or the blood thinners I was put on and a PCP that won't take workers comp (even if I pay for it and ask BWC to reimburse). So now I'm stuck trying to find someone to manage my "other" condition caused by the break. :(  

Thanks for asking. I appreciate your thoughts.

22 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

In Calfornia, they did away with the customs forms quite a while ago. Of course, generally the cruises from here only include Mexico or Canada, as far as foreign ports, so that may have had something to do with it. That being said, I'm sure if they see you come off the ship with a couple of 4-packs of liquor from the FunShops, they may ask you to step aside and pay some duty on it. It's not too much, thought. I remember one time we came off with 3 cases of the Hennessy White (my DH loves it, and you an only get it in Duty Free shops). He had a wedding to be in and wanted some for gifts. They took us aside and I think he paid about $40 in duty on the 18 bottles. 

So I'm wondering if they are slowly rolling this process out for the Caribbean ports as well now. Although it created a real back up on the ship getting off, it sure was nice to know you were done once you stepped foot off the ship.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SenatorsFan said:

Sorry to hear your latest news, Kim. I'm thinking about you and hoping you get things straightened out soon and feel better.😢Heather

Thanks so much. I appreciate it.

5 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

We are all hoping you will soon be able to put all this behind you: right now it looks like you can't win for losing as the saying goes 

Aww thank you. I can't wait to put it all behind me and get back to normal. It just doesn't feel like it's within reach any time soon. :(

I just made time today to sit down and read the rest of your review and I enjoyed as much as your others.  You mentioned the concrete at the water park in Costa Maya and what it did to your feet.  I know exactly what you were talking about.  As a kid I was always running around barefoot, including gravel driveways and the creek that had a lot of rocks and it never bothered my feet.  My family used to go to Hilton Head, SC, and the lower part of the beach is hard packed sand, sand you can actually ride a bike on (might have something to do with the tides that go pretty far out).  The upper beach is softer sand.  From walking on the harder sand, my feet were always a mess and peeling for a long time afterward.  But I did it again, year after year.  My feet ain't in no beauty contest.  Lol!!! 

I did see your reply on how the other passengers on this cruise was more how people describe passengers on Carnival, giving it the nickname "Wal-Mart of the Seas".  I have heard the same thing and have never experienced any of that on any of our Carnival cruises.  The cruise in 2014 was very crowded, but the passengers were fine and we didn't see any of that.  Heck, we were in New Orleans for a week in May 2018 and yeah, we saw some stuff but not like that, but it was New Orleans and not a NCL cruise.  The funniest we saw in NOLA was a woman in a very short sun dress riding a mechanical bull during "happy hour" (3 beers for price of 1) one afternoon.  Us gals weren't looking but one of the guys said "Holy ****!!!  She ain't got no drawers on!!!".  Yep, you read that right, she had NOTHIN' on under that dress.  They gave her a bar towel to cover up, but when she was thrown, the guys sure had a show.  We weren't really paying attention after that, but I sure hope they wiped the seat of that mechanical bull down with a bleach solution...nasty!!!

I also saw the updates on your leg and so sorry you are now dealing with blood clots.  When it rains, it pours.  Will keep that good juju/positive vibes coming along and hope it will all go smoothly from now on.  I love the color of your cast and Sakari's drawings on it.  And I can't believe how grown up she looked with her graduation dress and heels on.  I don't have kids but I can imagine that's a proud moment but also hard, missing the "little kid" years.  Loved the "throw back" pictures you added - that did NOT seem very long ago!!!  Thank you again for doing another review, I always enjoy them and your beautiful pictures.

Holly

Kim, I noticed you haven't posted anything in a few days.  I hope things are improving medically.  I am so sorry you have to go through all of this, and insurance sure doesn't make it any easier.

My last Norwegian cruise, we had the same disembarkation - someone looked at our passports right on the ship, then we got off, picked up our luggage and were good to go.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 6:46 PM, camper06 said:

hope you get everything figured out with the doctors.  like you need that on top of everything else!

wishing you an easy recovery from here on out!

Thank you so much.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:56 PM, warb said:

Thinking of you. Thank you for all your Amazing Photos & Cruise Review. 

The Medical "Industry" in the USA has some serious Problems.  Very Scary. 

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the review.

On 9/8/2019 at 4:59 PM, pghsteelerfan said:

I just made time today to sit down and read the rest of your review and I enjoyed as much as your others.  You mentioned the concrete at the water park in Costa Maya and what it did to your feet.  I know exactly what you were talking about.  As a kid I was always running around barefoot, including gravel driveways and the creek that had a lot of rocks and it never bothered my feet.  My family used to go to Hilton Head, SC, and the lower part of the beach is hard packed sand, sand you can actually ride a bike on (might have something to do with the tides that go pretty far out).  The upper beach is softer sand.  From walking on the harder sand, my feet were always a mess and peeling for a long time afterward.  But I did it again, year after year.  My feet ain't in no beauty contest.  Lol!!! 

I did see your reply on how the other passengers on this cruise was more how people describe passengers on Carnival, giving it the nickname "Wal-Mart of the Seas".  I have heard the same thing and have never experienced any of that on any of our Carnival cruises.  The cruise in 2014 was very crowded, but the passengers were fine and we didn't see any of that.  Heck, we were in New Orleans for a week in May 2018 and yeah, we saw some stuff but not like that, but it was New Orleans and not a NCL cruise.  The funniest we saw in NOLA was a woman in a very short sun dress riding a mechanical bull during "happy hour" (3 beers for price of 1) one afternoon.  Us gals weren't looking but one of the guys said "Holy ****!!!  She ain't got no drawers on!!!".  Yep, you read that right, she had NOTHIN' on under that dress.  They gave her a bar towel to cover up, but when she was thrown, the guys sure had a show.  We weren't really paying attention after that, but I sure hope they wiped the seat of that mechanical bull down with a bleach solution...nasty!!!

I also saw the updates on your leg and so sorry you are now dealing with blood clots.  When it rains, it pours.  Will keep that good juju/positive vibes coming along and hope it will all go smoothly from now on.  I love the color of your cast and Sakari's drawings on it.  And I can't believe how grown up she looked with her graduation dress and heels on.  I don't have kids but I can imagine that's a proud moment but also hard, missing the "little kid" years.  Loved the "throw back" pictures you added - that did NOT seem very long ago!!!  Thank you again for doing another review, I always enjoy them and your beautiful pictures.

Holly

LOL about your feet not in a beauty contest. I've always been the type that didn't have sensitive feet and could run on rocks or whatever with no problems or feet peeling. This time...wow...even my husbands feet peeled too. It was a mess.

Yea, these passengers this cruise was over the top! I've never experienced that before...ever! Not on any cruise line and not on any Spring Break cruise. It was just a hot mess!

It not only rains and pours here, but I'm expecting a tornado any day now. Things don't seem to be getting any better and the pain is only getting worse. :(  My foot looks like it's ready to explode and no blood return is causing it.

The cast was only on for 1 week and then removed along with removing the stitches. I'm just wrapped up now with daily dressing changes. At least I'm able to keep a good eye on it now and see if anything goes wrong.

It really doesn't seem like that long ago Sakari was so small and now heels and middle school. Yikes!

Thanks for the juju vibes! I really need them.

On 9/9/2019 at 2:33 PM, kpark895 said:

Kim, I noticed you haven't posted anything in a few days.  I hope things are improving medically.  I am so sorry you have to go through all of this, and insurance sure doesn't make it any easier.

My last Norwegian cruise, we had the same disembarkation - someone looked at our passports right on the ship, then we got off, picked up our luggage and were good to go.

Thanks for asking and sorry to report nothing is getting any better. :(

Good to know that maybe they are changing the process of getting off the ship and looking at passports. But the long lines winding around the ship are a little crazy.

1 hour ago, 4ptjo said:

Hi Kim, I’m a big fan. I’ve been thinking about you and hope you’re doing ok and healing well.  I’m sorry that happened to you. Ugh! Best wishes to you! 

Tracy

Aww thanks so much. I appreciate it.

So my updates on my leg. Things have not been improving. There have been no changes other than the pain and swelling are increasing. It's almost to an unbearable stage that I had to call the ortho doctor yesterday to make an emergency appointment. I couldn't wait another 4 weeks for a check up.

All my problems explained to the ortho PA: increased pain and swelling to the point I'm in tears on a daily basis also only getting 2 hours of sleep at night before waking up in so much pain I can't sleep. Solution: they took me off the pain meds and put me on Tylenol and Gabapentin. 😫

Increased swelling in my foot: due to 3 blood clots in my legs and the blood is having problems returning and pooling in my foot. Solution: massage the foot in upward motion to get the blood to go up. So, this works...while you are doing it, but once you stop, it comes back! Ice and elevation does NOT work at all and makes my entire leg to my buttocks fall asleep. So, I have to go up and down with my leg constantly.

Incisions aren't healing and still leaking fluids which causes some skin to peel off every dressing change. Solution: stop using the emulsion dressing and go to a dry dressing to help create a scab that will stop the leaking.

Since being on the blood thinners, I am constantly freezing to the point I'm shivering but no temp. My house is between 80-83 daily and I'm covered in 3 comforters not being able to get warmed up. Per everything I have read, being cold is not a side effect and the PA wasn't sure. However, multiple searches revealed many people with this symptom.

Increased urine output: up every 2 hours at night and 1-2x every hour during the day. Once again, PA couldn't explain.

Blood in urine: It has subsided now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't come back.

Pain in patella that has been there since the fall with no bruising and I can't put my knee down on anything, such as a knee scooter, because of the pain. They xrayed it and said no breaks so solution is to start rubbing it to desensitize the pain. Also do the same with my incisions...rub to desensitize an decrease the pain. 😭

I'm sure I'm missing things...but I did once again inquire about them saying I will start walking on it in 4 more weeks. I think they are crazy! They keep telling me that my leg was a pretty bad break, 4 places, plus the plates and screws on both sides, plus the screws mobilizing both the tib and fib together, and I'll start walking in 4 more weeks? 😲 I can't even feel my swollen foot that is asleep most of the time! Both my neighbor and son in law had the breaks in the same area, but only 1 break and 1 plate and screws and they weren't walking until 5 months and still trying to walk normal at 7 months.

I still haven't got an approval from BWC. It's still pending despite everything turned in. But the employer is still fighting it saying I was finished with work for the day.

I haven't been able to get a return phone call about finding a new PCP that accepts BWC to monitor and prescribe my blood thinners. So, that's a work in progress and I just keep calling and leaving messages to the places they gave me.

Life is grand at the moment to say the least....🙄 I'm just dealing with so much...and so much going on with poor Sakari and her school transportation. She's now riding 2 1/2 hours on the bus to get home and I've been fighting them about that. It's just a mess.

Thanks everyone for thinking of me and sending positive thoughts. I really appreciate my cruising community and the care and support you all have given me during this tough time.

• Like 2

I have been quietly following you and your ordeal.  I’m so sorry that things are not improving.  Being in pain and not sleeping much is horrible.  Add on the fight you’re having with your employer and coverage-unbelievable.  

You have a lot of support from the forum and add me to it.  Hang in there and I hope things improve soon for you.

• Like 2

Kim, I am so sorry you are continuing to deal with not only your injury, but all the bureaucratic crap.  As you are a medical professional, I know you are keeping on top of everything, please keep doing so.  If you feel something isn't right, the odds are it truly isn't right.

Ugh, that all sounds horrible.  I'm not a medical expert so have no advice to add on that one.

With Sakari's situation, that really sucks too.  Last year it took an hour and 15 minutes for my son to get home from school, which I thought was long enough!  (But then, we live 10 minutes away from school so there's definitely a certain level of whaaa...? to bus routes.)  Is she using the time well?  My kiddo never had any homework since he had plenty of time to get it done after school, lol.  Maybe you should get her some Spanish language lessons to help fill her time so she can converse with everyone when you start cruising again.  Or heck, a tablet with movies loaded!

I am so sorry to hear that you are not getting better 😥 I am thinking of your family and only wishing you the best. Despite the long bus ride, I hope that Sakari is enjoying art school. It really is an incredible accomplishment, and I look forward to seeing her drawings again when you travel...because I know that you will get better and travel again. This whole community is here to support you!

Oh Kim, I hope healing and relief come soon for you. My DH is on a blood thinner and is freezing all the time. Will you be able to discontinue them after the clots are dissolved? 

Two plus hours for a bus ride is insane! Hopefully there is an easy remedy for this. It always seems to pour and not sprinkle when issues crop up. Hang in there and don't be afraid to ask for help. I'm a giver and not a taker, as I'm sure you are as well, but sometimes we need a little assistance. Maybe a neighbor or friend could help transport Sakari until a better resolution is found? Do they issue a hardship drivers license at 12? Lol!

So sorry to hear the pain is getting worse and not better.  😥  I just hope you get some good answers and relief soon, and hoping no more scary setbacks.  And 2 1/2 hours for Sakari on the bus home?  WTH???  And I complained about my former commute (and the same one my husband still does), 1 1/2 - 2 hours, each way.  But that was for a job, not school.  That is totally ridiculous.  Will keep the good juju/vibes coming your way. 

Holly

Omigosh, Kim! I was hoping the next time you updated us, it would be with good news. You were always on the go and busy, this must really be hard for you, not to even mention the hellish pain you’re going through. I’ll be praying that you get some relief soon and on your way to a full recovery.