What do you tip your YC butler at the end?

Brendaflamingo

On 8/24/2019 at 6:08 AM, jules815 said:

Unfortunately my husband and I have experienced this as well on RC.  We'd sailed many times with our daughters were younger, in a regular balcony cabin, usually on the hump, with our girls across the hall in an interior.  Once the nest became empty and it was just us, we decided to mix things up a bit and try sailing in suites.  Something different, and it would get us to Diamond faster, for better perks/discounts.  Of course we loved it, but then we got to discover the whole Pinnacle thing.  It was a B2B we did on Freedom of the Seas in an Owners Suite.  We figured we'd skip the drink package because we have the concierge lounge available for our pre-dinner drinks.  I think they may have changed the lounge situation on these ships, but back then it was a smaller interior lounge with no windows.  First night, line out the door starting at 4:30, and you couldn't get in that lounge with a shoe horn.  We met several P couples on our cruises who were very warm and welcoming, who I'm still in contact with on social media, and others who weren't.  We ended up getting a drink package and never really used the lounge at all.  That was the same cruise where we were seated in the dining room next to a Pinnacle couple who were cruising with friends who were either new to RC or new to cruising.  They were so demanding of the wait staff, I felt so sorry for the assistant waiter.  When something didn't happen fast enough, the man actually clapped his hands in her face and said "chop! chop!"  (He really did that...we couldn't believe it.)  Of course, that made her even more nervous and frazzled.  On our way out that night we told the matre d what we'd witnessed, and that his staff were obviously trying their very best and these people were just not very nice people.  He thanked us and moved our table away from them.

Probably our worst experience was on the Harmony of the Seas transatlantic in 2016.  The "big one" bringing Harmony to the US for the first time.  We were in a GS with access to CK and the lounge.  On the very first night we went to the lounge for a drink, we were told by some people standing just inside the door, "this lounge is for Pinnacles only."  I went around the corner to the concierge desk and asked the 2 who were on for our cruise if that was the case.  They were very apologetic and found seats for my husband and I.  Regardless, it still turned out to be a great cruise.  I really enjoy talking to the people in top tier because they obviously love to cruise, and I enjoy hearing about their favorite itineraries, etc.  In fact, we did the transatlantic because we were told by a very nice couple we met in the CL on Radiance that if we enjoyed sea days we should try a TA.

Since sailing with RC we've done 3 cruises with Celebrity in suites, and haven't experienced anything like that with the few Zenith members that we've met in the lounges.  

22 hours ago, mafig said:

OMG, Jule815.  I had no idea it is that bad.  Rethinking getting a suite on Oasis-class now.😐

With TA cruises on Royal, they tend to be heavy with top level cruisers.  I have cruised on Oasis and Allure during July and there were very few Pinnacle members.  Now on the same ships during Oct there were at least 50 P members.  I have met dom very nice and down to earth P.  In our 328 nights cruising on Royal, I have only met one couple that were also P that we did not want to converse with.  They were rude and demanding of the staff.  All it takes I'd one bad apple to spoil the bunch.  

That P that you encountered that was rude, inconsiderate and demanding was likely acting that way before they made P level.  Being a P does not make you act like and an ahole.

Mafig dont worry and go on Oasis class.  You have been on her or her sister Allure.  The SL is nice and I have met many friends that are P and non P.  I have never really been bothered with non sailing suites P being in the SL.  Different than Topsail on Seaside, but we still enjoy the SL on Oasis class. 

You two should join us on Serenade Jan 20!  So many great people and friends I have made on that ship.  Lot less bells and whistles than Oasis class for sure.  But it is great for my wife and I to just relax and well relax.  The crew is great and you see the same passengers all over the ship unlike Oasis class. I find it easier to make friends when you get to see each other many times over the course of a month.  Serenade also hosts a lot of return cruiser that stay on her for months on end.  This will be our 3rd year on her and we will be cruising with friends we made 2 years ago.

12 minutes ago, frank808 said:

That P that you encountered that was rude, inconsiderate and demanding was likely acting that way before they made P level.  Being a P does not make you act like and an ahole.

Oh absolutely!  Nobody becomes that rude because of their status.  

As far as the lounge crowding goes, yes, the two b2b's we took on Freedom of the Seas were in early September, which is a busy time.  Schools are back in session, it's peak hurricane season, and the rates are pretty good.  And we had a feeling our TA would have a lot of Pinnacles on board.  It wasn't just a TA, but a special event being the one that brought Harmony to the US.  We still loved the experience and would do another in a heartbeat. 

In 2016 I took my daughter and a friend on Liberty of the Seas during college spring break week.  It was one of those sailings PACKED with spring breakers.  We were in a GS, and the concierge lounge was like a ghost town.  We'd go for pre-dinner drinks and there were maybe 2-4 other people there.  I would imagine summer sailings would be similar.  

On 8/14/2019 at 4:15 AM, G.M.T. said:

Do not forget that tipping culture is very different in various parts of the world.

In US when you ask for the bill. 18% service ha sbeen added and you are expexted to leave another 15% as a tip.

In Europe and Britain (I Know Britian is in Europe, but getting ready for Brexit), on a small bill we round up to the next pound / euro, for larger bill amounts.

So you see there are no right or wrong amounts to tip. It i swhat you are comfortable with.

In the US, if there has already been a gratuity added (18%-20%), you most certainly aren't expected to tip over that. The confusion lies where some establishments make it difficult to see that a gratuity has already been added.  Just wanted to clarify that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jules815 said:

Oh absolutely!  Nobody becomes that rude because of their status.  

As far as the lounge crowding goes, yes, the two b2b's we took on Freedom of the Seas were in early September, which is a busy time.  Schools are back in session, it's peak hurricane season, and the rates are pretty good.  And we had a feeling our TA would have a lot of Pinnacles on board.  It wasn't just a TA, but a special event being the one that brought Harmony to the US.  We still loved the experience and would do another in a heartbeat. 

In 2016 I took my daughter and a friend on Liberty of the Seas during college spring break week.  It was one of those sailings PACKED with spring breakers.  We were in a GS, and the concierge lounge was like a ghost town.  We'd go for pre-dinner drinks and there were maybe 2-4 other people there.  I would imagine summer sailings would be similar.  

Yes the amount of upper tier would be consistent with the crowding of the lounges.  On Freedom, I cannot fathom why upper tier would want to be in the CL.  It is a small windowless room on deck 8 (I can't remember).  If you have access, the DL on the top by Viking Crown lounge has much nicer views.  On sailing Freedom class, I rarely venture into the CL.  Now the sisters Liberty and Independence have inside cabins where the CL used to be.  Their new SL is where the card room used to be in the VCL.  It is located on the opposite side of the DL.

I have had some great cruises and other cruises have been not as good.  Although I have never had cruise where I would rather be at work.

2 hours ago, little britain said:

Back to answering the original question.... tips are now included in fares in the UK. 

That's the daily service charge, the tips referred in the post, is any additional tips paid to individuals who people feel should receive a tip i.e. your YC Butler. 

8 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

That's the daily service charge, the tips referred in the post, is any additional tips paid to individuals who people feel should receive a tip i.e. your YC Butler. 

So the OP should have written How Much Extra do you tip you butler .....?? 

I am assuming the DSC is fairly split between the butlers as it is for the stewards in the regular cabins? 

14 minutes ago, little britain said:

I am assuming the DSC is fairly split between the butlers as it is for the stewards in the regular cabins? 

I agree, L, the DSC is/was/and always will be the gratuity you pay that's shared among the crew (and, yes, including the butlers on MSC - unlike some other cruiselines).  Just because it's not put into envelopes anymore and handed to individual members of the crew, doesn't mean that you're not tipping them.

While I do give extra for service above and beyond, I certainly don't tip anyone a week's wages like some are bragging about on here.  Jeez, some of the butlers must be millionaires at this stage if they're receiving the sort of amounts being bandied about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, little britain said:

It is indeed an extra payment, so that would've been a more accurate question.

I do not know how the DSC is divided and distributed, i've always hoped that it was divided equally among all of the crew. I assumed (always dangerous, I know) from the description of the DSC that all of the crew were included.

Although there are the passenger facing staff who enhance and directly provide services on our cruises, there are also many non - customer facing staff, without who, working very hard behind the scenes, our cruises would not be the enjoyable experience they are. Some of those are quite probably the most poorly paid and never receive additional tips for their work.

We'd give extra for service above and beyond, at the end of the cruise but not 100's or 1000's of ££ as has been mentioned, but then we don't give anyone £20 just for bringing us every drink or moving an an item 10 feet from A to B. I'm sure some of these are exceptions, rather than the norm.

Edited by CruisingFox27
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I agree, L, the DSC is/was/and always will be the gratuity you pay that's shared among the crew (and, yes, including the butlers on MSC - unlike some other cruiselines).  Just because it's not put into envelopes anymore and handed to individual members of the crew, doesn't mean that you're not tipping them.

While I do give extra for service above and beyond, I certainly don't tip anyone a week's wages like some are bragging about on here.  Jeez, some of the butlers must be millionaires at this stage if they're receiving the sort of amounts being bandied about.

As you know I take about 6-7 cruises a year. Always prepay the tips and I think we are pretty low maintenance.   I would never dream of dishing out the (additional) dosh to the sums mentioned here!!

love

Mrs Warbucks....x

On 8/21/2019 at 10:18 AM, Best Cat Mom said:

Regardless of the actual amounts of tips each cruiser provides, the most valuable perspective for me when I first researched tipping was the proportional differences between different roles on the ships. It was helpful to see what people consider generous tips for "their" butler vs. doting and consistent service from other butlers in the Top Sail Lounge vs. their server in the YC restaurant, etc. We still chose our own specific amounts based on our particular situation and experiences, but having other opinions about those proportions made me feel more comfortable overall. These boards are so helpful because of all of the different opinions. Thank you to everyone who shares!

@Best Cat Mom  nicely summarized !

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/13/2019 at 5:15 PM, Brendaflamingo said:

We had a great butler on our last cruise on MSC Yacht Club.  He really made a difference without asking for anything.

He tipped him $150.00 and what ever was put on automatically on our account..

What is a correct tip if you love your butler?

Thanks

Did you also tip the cabin steward (junior Butler)?  Did the $150 include both of them?

My CS in a regular balcony on X cleaned the room better than the one I have now. I gave my X one

$50. I'm undecided on how to divide out the tip for my Butler who is decent  & junior Butler.

• 3 months later...

We tipped $150 to our butler, $100 to our assistant butler (room steward), $75 to our main two waiters in the YC dining room and $25 to our favorite poolside bartender. The service was exceptional and coming from service careers early in our employment histories-they truly deserved it!! Tipping is personable-our YC crew worked hard to ensure we had the best vacation! 🛳️

All of this is very interesting (just now read all 141 posts) to MSC/YC newbies who are well traveled on Princess (Elite). Thanks for all the varied opinions and points of view as we prepare for our first MSC/YC experience. 

Here's something I find really interesting about MSC's DSC policy that departs from what we are accustomed to.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/service-charges

From the above, I've extracted the following:

What are the service charges?

During your cruise, you will meet staff throughout the ship who provide you with excellent service. They are supported by just as many staff and crew who work hard behind the scenes to ensure you enjoy every moment on board. For your convenience, MSC Cruises will automatically add a daily Hotel Service Charge to your shipboard account, based on your chosen itinerary and the number of days for which the services are actually provided.

The Hotel Service charge serves to ensure we maintain the highest quality standards of service to our guests. The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind and cannot be modified. However, should you wish to remove any of the daily Hotel Service Charge in the unlikely event that you do not receive satisfactory service, you may do so by contacting the Guest Relations Manager onboard. If you wish, the daily Service Charge for your cruise can be added to the price of your cruise at the time of booking, rather than added to your onboard account during the cruise. Please let your booking agent know if you would like to add the Service Charge to your cruise price.

TIPS: MSC does not recommend tipping individual members of staff.

Several things here jump out at me. First of all the idea that MSC doesn't recommend individual tips. Agreed, it's all very personal and each person is clearly able to proceed with this how she/he wishes. Just interesting to see in writing the "official" view on the matter. 

Second is the idea that The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind and cannot be modified. Looking back over the course of many cruises, we've often adjusted the base amount both up and down without issue. The MSC view seems very binary. Either pay the stated DSC amount or eliminate it completely. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. Am I reading this correctly?

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Several things here jump out at me. First of all the idea that MSC doesn't recommend individual tips. Agreed, it's all very personal and each person is clearly able to proceed with this how she/he wishes. Just interesting to see in writing the "official" view on the matter. 

Second is the idea that The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind and cannot be modified. Looking back over the course of many cruises, we've often adjusted the base amount both up and down without issue. 

I have never removed gratuities or lowered them on any cruise.  I always give those who have served me more than whatever the recommended amount is, including those who serve in the the Lounges.  The amounts?  They will differ based upon the quality of service I receive.  

I based my YC gratuities on the MSC guidelines.  After reading those, they sounded much like what I have experienced on other cruise lines.  I additionally tipped accordingly.  

Tipping the amounts that a previous poster mentioned?  I didn't receive anywhere close to such service in the YC Restaurant or Lounge or in my Suite to warrant such amounts.  I received the expected excellent service that I paid for.  I rewarded those crew members who I felt deserved it with an additional gratuity.  But, that amount is what I would have done if I was cruising on HAL, Princess, Carnival, RCL, Celebrity, etc. for similar good service.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:42 PM, George C said:

Tipping for us totally depends on service level

....and personal preference.  

On other cruises, not MSC, I used to tip bartenders and stewards after ordering each drink.  A few times, my rewarding the bartender resulted in more future generous pours.  That practice seemed to come to an end.  (I have a suspicion based upon conversations that I have had with bartenders as to why.)  I stopped doing so and I remained pleased with my beverage service in whatever lounge that I patronized.  

On 6/16/2020 at 6:28 AM, Couple-Somerset said:

But that is why they are YC Butlers - they are there to do all the things you've mentioned to the highest standard (represented by the significantly higher cruise fare) without the need for any gratuity.

I much prefer to be courteous, friendly and to give our Butler an easy week when we've stayed in YC.

Tips are included in the price and the most we've ever given in YC was $20 for a waiter who managed to find lime cordial for some of my drinks.

The issue with tipping is Countries with an ingrained system (ie US) are unable to stop doing the practice when advised not to - which makes the whole thing slanted and it doesn't work properly as staff know to "expect" £x from one guest and most likely nothing from another.

I wonder if Americans will continue to tip in the same way now that decent minimum wage rates are being introduced in many States across the US.

You may soon find your servers are earning more than your Doctors lol

While I understand your point of view-both my husband and I were in the service industry for many years during our college days and we have always been generous to servers. When you lived that life you will understand...  If I feel someone has gone out of their way to be helpful, kind-and provided above and beyond service-we will tip accordingly. I've spent my life giving to others-we've worked in third world countries, if I can help someone send money home to better their families life-I will. 

Edited by mmbcater
  • Like 2