SkyRide got cancelled on Carnival Vista Aug 24 2019 sailing

grigosha

Got an email yesterday, notifying that  SkyRide  won't be available on Carnival Vista Aug 24 2019 sailing due to maintenance.

This feature was a key element when my kids selected this sailing.

Carnival did not offer any compensation or supplement activity.

Edited by grigosha

I will ignore the first part of the question as I see it irrelevant.

SkyRide is one of the highlights of this ship, an experience other ships don't offer. They were building a photography rig to do a 360 movie about that. 

RE: compensation, perhaps a discount for on-shore activities or gaming credit. I am more concerned about a lack of nice gesture from Carnival  and much less the type or the amount of compensation.

Edited by grigosha
  • Haha 1

I think this is kind of like when you go to a water park and lightning quells the fun for a while. You paid for the whole day but can't do it all. Ever been to disney and they close the rides in the afternoon due to lightning? They don't give you a partial credit because you lost two hours of fun. Or, if you go to a land-based resort and one of the slides doesn't work or half the arcade games are out of order. They're not giving you money back. You just make the best of it. They're not going to move a mountain to compensate you. 

• Like 13

I think it's completely appropriate after narrowing the list of cruises down, to let the kids make the "final" decision.  I doubt they just told the kids to go the the Carnival site and just "pick a cruise".  It seems to me like a good way to make the kids feel involved.

• Like 3

BandBWCsmom> I hear you, the "lightening" metaphor makes sense. If it would be per say, a game room closed for the duration of a cruise, I don't think anyone would make a squeak. SkyRide is different and quite unique, plus the preparations were made for it. Oh, well ... we'll get busy with other things.

8 minutes ago, chrisnatca said:

I think it's completely appropriate after narrowing the list of cruises down, to let the kids make the "final" decision.  I doubt they just told the kids to go the the Carnival site and just "pick a cruise".  It seems to me like a good way to make the kids feel involved.

You got it!  This is exactly what I have done.

14 minutes ago, BandBWCsmom said:

I think this is kind of like when you go to a water park and lightning quells the fun for a while. You paid for the whole day but can't do it all. Ever been to disney and they close the rides in the afternoon due to lightning? They don't give you a partial credit because you lost two hours of fun. Or, if you go to a land-based resort and one of the slides doesn't work or half the arcade games are out of order. They're not giving you money back. You just make the best of it. They're not going to move a mountain to compensate you. 

Bingo!!!

On our Vista cruise in June my son in law and grandson both tried the Sky Ride... to quote my son in law, 'it's over-rated'. My 10 YO grandson tried it a couple times early on and said it was 'cool' but he never went back to it, which speaks volumes to me! Now the water slides? He would have been on them 24/7 if they'd stayed open that long. His assessment of the slides? 'Super cool'!

Bottom line @grigosha I think your kids may be a bit disappointed but they'll find lots to do that fits into the 'super cool' category!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, grigosha said:

BandBWCsmom> I hear you, the "lightening" metaphor makes sense. If it would be per say, a game room closed for the duration of a cruise, I don't think anyone would make a squeak. SkyRide is different and quite unique, plus the preparations were made for it. Oh, well ... we'll get busy with other things.

I feel you. We have been to Disney dying for that new ride (can't even remember what it was) waited a few hours and it stopped working. That was it. Hung out for a while and somebody said, it's down for the day. Kids weren't elated, but I doubt they remember their disappointment. 

I'm sure they'll have a blast either way! Good luck. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

On our Vista cruise in June my son in law and grandson both tried the Sky Ride... to quote my son in law, 'it's over-rated'.

[skip ...] Thanks a lot, this is a partial relief 🙂

Bottom line @grigosha I think your kids may be a bit disappointed but they'll find lots to do that fits into the 'super cool' category!

This is a sort of thing my boys are looking for! Instagram it all. 

Edited by grigosha

I'm not negating that your concern about the Sky Ride not being open isn't legitimate, I know after all the build up months prior to the cruise I probably would have had some serious pout-face from my grandson in your circumstances.

I'm just suggesting that kids are flexible and they will find lots to do... make sure you register them for the kids club- even if the activities there don't suit them, it's a great way for them to make friends. The pools and slides are awesome. The arcade is pretty good, but word of warning- I'd put some manual limits on their S&S cards before you let them loose in there! My grandson was given a verbal limit of $17 by his mom- $70 later (in one afternoon) he was banned from the arcade for the rest of the cruise!

Edited by Shaded Lady

38 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

- I'd put some manual limits on their S&S cards before you let them loose in there! My grandson was given a verbal limit of $17 by his mom- $70 later (in one afternoon) he was banned from the arcade for the rest of the cruise!

@Shaded Lady

This makes sense, set the limits a minute ago! I imagine they would spend it on pop, which they are not allowed at home.

Edited by grigosha

I would much rather a ride be shut down until it is deemed safe.  I bet the man who fell from that jumping ride on the RC ship wishes RC had done their due diligence when it came to safety.  I wonder how many cruisers on RC are demanding compensation for an unsafe ride not being open.

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I find it interesting how many people on this site are upset about the SkyRide issues on Vista and Horizon. I also don’t understand why people feel they should be entitled to something because of these issues. 

PhillyFan33579> Please read posts #1/3 , line #2 in both. 

Overall, I consider the original topic issue exhausted. Thank you all for your insights!

11 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I find it interesting how many people on this site are upset about the SkyRide issues on Vista and Horizon. I also don’t understand why people feel they should be entitled to something because of these issues. 

Four people in the last 12 hours...three today alone...and three of them from Canada. At least two of them, including this OP, have said the SkyRide is a main feature of the Vista class ships and is a reason they booked it. Two or three of them said they expected compensation and, even more interesting to me, two have mentioned that this shows the lack of a nice gesture from Carnival. The biggest difference is, the other complaints were for Horizon sailings. Other than that, I couldn't help but wonder if at least a few of these people were the same person or maybe from the same group. One of the other people had a post count of 12, but only two posts showed in their profile (complaining about the SkyRide). That lead me to believe that all of their other posts had been deleted. One of the other threads from this morning has already been deleted. This OP created their CC account just to post this thread. What in the world is going on?

• Like 2

@Organized Chaos I truly, truly could not make sense of your question/statement.

Post count stats with  conspiracy theory on posts deleted and Canada's role in the whole thing. 🙂 

Take it easy my friend, we need cruises to forget what's coming in November. 

All I was [originally] frustrated with is SkyRide closure, read posts #1 and #3. At post #23 I stated that the issue is exhausted.