Can we make the 10:10 flight out of Fort Lauderdale

barb65

We are sailing on the Symphony in February 2020 out of Miami. If we do a self-assist disembark (out of Miami), would we be able to catch a 10:10 a.m. flight out of Fort Lauderdale or would that be cutting it too close. Thanks in advance for all your opinions.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You can probably make it, but I would not chance it with the uncertain transit time between Miami and FLL.  Too much stress for me.

Day of week matters too. If it's a week day, you find yourself in peak rush hour.

Can you or should you?  

Yes you can make a 10:10am flight.  A few weeks ago I debarked Empress in Miami.  Easy ship to debark due to low guest count but we didn't face facial recognition either.  I was through customs and outside by 8:00am.  By 8:35am I was at FLL airport and by 8:45am I was at my gate for a 10:20am flight.

1391855658_LyftPoMtoFLL.jpeg.b986706e2bc8bd31c44cb981116c82cf.jpeg

However I was alone and have status with my airline so no change fees if things went wrong which they very well could have but I knew that booking it.  I also lucked out with no road construction which is frequently done on weekends in Miami.  

So I'd suggest you don't do it just because I lucked out and the stars aligned in my favor.

You could make it if nothing goes wrong, but if one thing goes wrong, you're stuck.  If Customs wants to hold up the ship, or if weather causes the ship to come in an hour late.  If your ride is not ready at the time you get off.  If there's an accident on the freeway or just plain traffic.  It takes a good 40 minutes at the minimum with no traffic.  And once you get to the airport, if there's a delay through security, or bag check?  You should be at the airport at least an hour before hand, which means at the very minimum, you should arrive at the airport no later than 9:10 to catch your flight, but the safer bet is to get there by 8:40am. (an hour and a half).  So by that calculation, you need to be IN your transport traveling to the airport by 8am to make it to the airport with time to spare..providing there's no traffic.  Otherwise, the leave time should be 7:50am.

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Can you or should you?  

Yes you can make a 10:10am flight.  A few weeks ago I debarked Empress in Miami.  Easy ship to debark due to low guest count but we didn't face facial recognition either.  I was through customs and outside by 8:00am.  By 8:35am I was at FLL airport and by 8:45am I was at my gate for a 10:20am flight.

1391855658_LyftPoMtoFLL.jpeg.b986706e2bc8bd31c44cb981116c82cf.jpeg

However I was alone and have status with my airline so no change fees if things went wrong which they very well could have but I knew that booking it.  I also lucked out with no road construction which is frequently done on weekends in Miami.  

So I'd suggest you don't do it just because I lucked out and the stars aligned in my favor.

And TSA pre-check?

10 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

And TSA pre-check?

That helped as did the elite line to check luggage.  

I normally book a later flight since they are cheaper then I leverage free standby/confirmed from being elite to try to make an earlier flight if I reach the airport early.  It's a lot easier when solo.  Pushing family members and stressing over it is not for the weak knee'd.  

The answer is a solid maybe.   Things that would help your chances:

-self disembarkation, which you already mentioned you can do

-disembarking on a weekend so you don't face commuter traffic between MIA and FLL

-traveling carry on only, so you can check in online and not have to wait in line to check in or check bags

-having TSA Precheck and/or Clear to expedite getting through airport security

I might have missed it but I don't think anybody has mentioned the other reason -- Fort Lauderdale could also have several gigantic ships disembarking on the same day and all their peeps will be at that airport also.  Even if you can take advantage of the RC luggage valet service & skip the checkin counter, the security lines can still be outrageous.

On 8/15/2019 at 1:27 PM, Merion_Mom said:

And TSA pre-check?

Agree, couple times in last 2 yrs Security line was at the door out FLL, and this was not a Sat or Sunday. Though rare, possible.

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

Agree … Can you? Maybe. Should you? What is your tolerance of knowing it is not an absolute? If you are returning to FLL on a weekend you have a better chance than during the week. Remember... if you chose FLL over MIA d/t cost so did other cruisers and February is high season. We have taken early flights out of FLL and out of Tampa without a problem. We have taken later flights noon or later and almost didn't make it. A lady fell down the escalator during disembarkation and the lines to get off were stopped for several hours! Customs has been really easy this year but I have heard there are increased delays. We were also almost late for our flight ( only15 min away) when Florida Board of Health boarded for a surprise inspection and no one could get off! At least going into Miami you don't have an issue of not being able to get back into the port  at least not in February. Have a great cruise whatever you decide!

Edited by smilz
delete underline

You all convinced me/us to take a different flight. We prefer non-stop because I have knee problems and want to eliminate as much walking/changing flights as possible. We found another non-stop from FLL to PIT that works for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, barb65 said:

You all convinced me/us to take a different flight. We prefer non-stop because I have knee problems and want to eliminate as much walking/changing flights as possible. We found another non-stop from FLL to PIT that works for us.

Excellent, the end of your cruise will be much less stressful.

I would never try to make a departure this tight.  If you experience even the smallest of issues (ship docks late, traffic, security lines at the airport, etc.) you're hosed and miss your flight.  I understand not everyone can do this, but I pad a full day for both departure and arrival and use that extra time to explore (and preserve my sanity).  Not a big deal missing a return-flight... just a pain-in-the-butt.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1