1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Nice pics.  I hope to get the same great weather on my Feb 2021 Antarctica cruise.

Thank you and we hope so too . The weather is very changeable there . We had sleet the day before we went through Glacier Alley and the port of Ushuaia was closed. The next morning it was 80% cloudy but it cleared after breakfast and stayed clear throughout the day .

2 hours ago, ski ww said:

Antarctica is still on our bucket list, we made it as far as Ushuaia & had great weather for the sail through Glacier Alley.  

Super , we had foggy in Glacier Alley and windy that kept us from port in Ushuaia on Christmas Day last year so we showed some photos from our previous trip . We had a short visit around the Horn and left early to try to beat a storm to Antarctica which we mostly did .

20 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

IMG_7191_zpshqkwc32a.jpg

IMG_7212_zps1pyktsro.jpg

IMG_7237_zpsuopfwzsm.jpg

IMG_7313_zps6ni8xihh.jpg

Always wanted to take that cruise Rio/Buenas Aires to Chile. Many years ago we were on a Miami to Chile cruise. Your photos definitely has got me convinced that I got to do so! Great photos!

1 hour ago, tommui987 said:

Always wanted to take that cruise Rio/Buenas Aires to Chile. Many years ago we were on a Miami to Chile cruise. Your photos definitely has got me convinced that I got to do so! Great photos!

If you are considering Antarctica there are only about 2 years left before the larger cruise ships will not be able to go there .

I know that there are upcoming restrictions on which ships can cruise the Norwegian fjords, but I can’t find any affecting Antarctic cruises other than that landings are only allowed from ships with 500 or less passengers. Can you give any further information on this?

5 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I know that there are upcoming restrictions on which ships can cruise the Norwegian fjords, but I can’t find any affecting Antarctic cruises other than that landings are only allowed from ships with 500 or less passengers. Can you give any further information on this?

chengkp75

• 10,000+ Club
  • chengkp75
  • February 19, 2013
  •  
  • 16,502 posts
  • Maine or at sea
  On 8/19/2019 at 3:27 PM, Hawaiidan said:

The have special built small  expedition ships..... expect to pay $1000 a day pp.  or more   ALL the other lines without expedition ships  under 400 PAx I think, will  be prohibited .     It will be supply and demand cutting the available cabins from thousands a month  to a few hundred $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  Your pockets will have to be pretty deep in 2020

However, since these "small expedition ships" were built in 2000, long before the new Polar Class was even being discussed by the IMO, they are not PC-6 classed, and therefore will not be allowed north of 60*n or south of 60*s.  It does not matter the size of the ship, the ship must meet the new structural and operational requirements of the unified Polar Code.

And, the ships are not "special built" as they were originally built for Renaissance cruises and then owned by Pullmantur before Azamara acquired them.

Edited Tuesday at 05:00 AM by chengkp75

14 hours ago, Paul S said:

More information on the Polar Ice Code

This was our second time to El Calafate and we love the scenery

IMG_0181-002_zpse301190e.jpg

Perito Moreno Glacier

PMStitch_zpsdd51ea11.jpg

240' tall , 2 - 1/2 miles wide and 19 miles long and increasing in size .

IMG_0111-002_zps25cde17a.jpg

IMG_2980_zps613ca522.jpg

IMG_0122-002_zpsaf55ad6b.jpg

We saw this Marine Ice Iceberg float up from beneath the glacier

IMG_7718%203_zpsqqfmbk9m.jpg

The different colors come from frozen sea water in addition to lighter colored frozen fresh water

IMG_7748%202_zpsfty4kcse.jpg

• Like 1

A gourmet Glacier cruise

DSC03624_zpsl1qxkzzq.jpg

The trip to Puerto Bandera is the same way as to Perito Moreno only you turn right instead of left . It takes about 40 minutes by car .

DSC03391_zps9xdwvweh.jpg

The door to the smaller private area on the boat has a map of the trip . The door nob is where we begin our cruise .

DSC03395%203_LI_zps3xoqrujo.jpg

Eight of us sat at the dining table .You can see our camera bags at the bench where we sat .

DSC03537_zpsnkkeegrv.jpg

The first offering was the carb course .

DSC03422_zpsjrbmtksf.jpg

The first ice berg

IMG_7855_zpsx5s3vujn.jpg

The black ice has it's color from the rocks and sand that it rubbed against sliding down the glacier .

IMG_7883%20-%20Copy_zpsu1exbqqi.jpg