Negative Silhouette Reviews In The Med

Doubt It

On 8/18/2019 at 8:30 PM, DebInAntigua said:

Oh wow I would have hated dealing with all those kids especially when the parents think they are oh-so-CUTE dancing around the evening entertainment and taking over the pools. 

We recently booked a sky suite for a double holiday sailing in 2020 out of Tampa. Hope I’m not going to regret choosing that date!

My husband is a teacher so unfortunately when I cruise with him, it is oftentimes during holiday weeks. We switched from cruising with NCL to Celebrity last year due to the enormous number of kids onboard.   Guess what?  Not only did the Equinox and the Summit both have a huge number of kids during holidays but there was little to nothing to keep them occupied!  We’ve gone back to NCL for a few cruises just so we can have haven (still some kids) or Vibe Beach Club (totally know d free). At least NCL has lots of activities and water slides to keep the little darlings occupied!

Good luck!

13 hours ago, dorisdoris1 said:

I think the number of children was only one part of a much bigger problem and that’s a lack of respect to the fare paying passenger

Food that’s is supposed to be hot was not

Wine that was paid for was not available

Same for Evian ..paid for so dnt give me the other

variation on music is so so easy to achieve

general disdain towards passengers and a lack of the basics by lots of crew..I enjoy saying good morning,hello etc

complete rush job in the MDR

overselling of basics so that the quality of the product is severely lacking

its not the Celebrity I have loved  and recommended to many for years

and two weeks later they are not at all helping their cause

i have many previous almost perfect Celebrity Cruises to compare to

and this didn’t even come close 

Just asking did you raise the issues of the substitution of lower blends of wine with anyone?? Even the water??

I had a similar issue on the Millie last year.  When I asked them for Pellegrino - certain bars were notorious for supplying a generic brand and I called them out on it.  My Australian cruising friends called them out on the wine. Someone would order a Chardonnay and be often served Sauvignon Blanc.  

These incidents were too often and only stopped when we called them out on it. 

Annie

14 minutes ago, dorisdoris1 said:

Hello

yes we did many times and it was so obvious the wines were a completely different colour too

Yes that can be a giveaway - did you escalate the complaint and have it recorded??

Annie

1 hour ago, anniegb said:

Just asking did you raise the issues of the substitution of lower blends of wine with anyone?? Even the water??

I had a similar issue on the Millie last year.  When I asked them for Pellegrino - certain bars were notorious for supplying a generic brand and I called them out on it.  My Australian cruising friends called them out on the wine. Someone would order a Chardonnay and be often served Sauvignon Blanc.  

These incidents were too often and only stopped when we called them out on it. 

Annie

1 hour ago, dorisdoris1 said:

Hello

yes we did many times and it was so obvious the wines were a completely different colour too

And so did we... raised with the food and beverage manager and then again with the hotel director. Can I just clarify here that we love Celebrity and have cruised many times with them with few issues... but on this occasion Celebrity did not meet the expectations of us and many others.

4 minutes ago, Mr Sea Gull said:

And so did we... raised with the food and beverage manager and then again with the hotel director. Can I just clarify here that we love Celebrity and have cruised many times with them with few issues... but on this occasion Celebrity did not meet the expectations of us and many others.

That is how I would have handled it as well - escalated the issue and have it documented.  I would then follow it up with a letter to Head Office.  I always advise them on board that I will be doing that.

In my 10 years of cruising I have only had to do that once (different cruise line) and received OBC.

Just out of curiosity who was the HD??

Trust me when I have the supporting evidence, I am like a dog with a bone 😉

Sorry to read that so many of you have F&B issues and if I was sufficiently unhappy, I would vote with my wallet.

Annie

18 minutes ago, anniegb said:

That is how I would have handled it as well - escalated the issue and have it documented.  I would then follow it up with a letter to Head Office.  I always advise them on board that I will be doing that.

In my 10 years of cruising I have only had to do that once (different cruise line) and received OBC.

Just out of curiosity who was the HD??

Trust me when I have the supporting evidence, I am like a dog with a bone 😉

Sorry to read that so many of you have F&B issues and if I was sufficiently unhappy, I would vote with my wallet.

Annie

J P Lamb but unfortunately he changed ship mid cruise so we ended up dealing with the F&B manager, also logged on comment forms at guest relations.

I still think that Celebrity is not going the route of Royal, Norwegian or Carnival when it comes to kids.  Celebrity's current and new ships, including those being built,  still cater to adults.  There are no water slides, carousels, bumper cars, race tracks, etc. and there are no plans for them in announced new builds.  That being said, they did have time to plan for a lot more kids on the cruise in question on this thread and it seems they botched that.  At final payment 90 days in advance of the cruise they surely had an idea of how many kids would be on board.  

• Like 1

I don't care if you are talking about 5 kids, or 50 kids, or 500 kids.  At the end of the day, it is up to the parents to ensure that the kids are behaving properly (and of course it is up to adults to see that they behave as well!).  I don't give a hoot if the kids were bored or not - it is the parent's job to keep them in line.  We traveled with my now 33 year old son on Celebrity since he was 3 years old, so often he is now Elite status in Captains Club.  Never would I ever allow him to behave like some of what I have heard on these boards. Yes, Celebrity should provide more entertainment for kids if they choose to market to them.  But your kids are YOUR responsibility, not the cruise ships.  If some of these parents did not do proper research, that is on them, and it should not mean their kids are allowed to run wild and do whatever they want.  Yes, kids have as much right to enjoy their vacations as any passenger - but like all behavior, that stops when it comes to interfering with other people's rights.  Call me an old coot if you want to, but I was raised to respect my parents, respect others' rights, and be polite and considerate of others.   If parent's can't be bothered to expect the same of their kids then shame on them.  End of rant

• Like 10

Right on phoenix_dream.

Celebrity allowed the Silly cruise to significantly vary from its normal product, and did not alert guests in advance of what they were purchasing - Celebrity fail

But while aboard, Celebrity is accountable to enforce basic decorum to ensure the ship board atmosphere reflects the Celebrity product - Celebrity fail

Parents fail - in any venue, parents are accountable to ensure their children mind their manners and conduct themselves in a respectful manner so as not to disturb others.  A bit of more energy and excitement can be had in children's onboard venues - but out side these venues - behavior should be constrained.  But many of today's permissive parents of "free range kids" have no rules. News flash, I am not interested in your kids and I am not prepared to be inconvenienced by them on a ship or elsewhere.

When I think of a cruise with 600 kids, I think RCL. Enough said.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Personally to me, it sounds like some passengers need to take the lead on each sailing to instruct and train families pre-boarding, on the protocol expected of them and their 'unsupervised' children so we all can further enjoy our vacation without disturbance or upset by the wildlings... LOL

As it sounds like X is not 'dong their job' in this area for some, you might as well do it for them... and ask for appropriate compensation for doing it.

After all, we are entitled to a stress free and enjoyable vacation, right?

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't care if you are talking about 5 kids, or 50 kids, or 500 kids.  At the end of the day, it is up to the parents to ensure that the kids are behaving properly (and of course it is up to adults to see that they behave as well!).  I don't give a hoot if the kids were bored or not - it is the parent's job to keep them in line.  We traveled with my now 33 year old son on Celebrity since he was 3 years old, so often he is now Elite status in Captains Club.  Never would I ever allow him to behave like some of what I have heard on these boards. Yes, Celebrity should provide more entertainment for kids if they choose to market to them.  But your kids are YOUR responsibility, not the cruise ships.  If some of these parents did not do proper research, that is on them, and it should not mean their kids are allowed to run wild and do whatever they want.  Yes, kids have as much right to enjoy their vacations as any passenger - but like all behavior, that stops when it comes to interfering with other people's rights.  Call me an old coot if you want to, but I was raised to respect my parents, respect others' rights, and be polite and considerate of others.   If parent's can't be bothered to expect the same of their kids then shame on them.  End of rant

Absolutely true.  Thank you, I couldn't agree more.

14 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Personally to me, it sounds like some passengers need to take the lead on each sailing to instruct and train families pre-boarding, on the protocol expected of them and their 'unsupervised' children so we all can further enjoy our vacation without disturbance or upset by the wildlings... LOL

As it sounds like X is not 'dong their job' in this area for some, you might as well do it for them... and ask for appropriate compensation for doing it.

After all, we are entitled to a stress free and enjoyable vacation, right?

bon voyage

Bo, I usually find your remarks right on the mark, but this one seems to me a miss. This whole thread reminded me of a cruise we took on X Infinity about 12 years ago during the 2 weeks prior to Christmas. We disembarked on the 21st of December. During that cruise many different crew members told us with tremulous voices and visible fear that we were lucky to be sailing on the cruise we were on and not the holiday sailing following it. The reason they gave is that the ship was going to be overrun with over 50 children!  If 50 children struck fear in their hearts can you just imagine the terror that the impending 600 caused? Many of the crew members on that long ago cruise told us that they just weren't equipped to deal with that many children ...50! 

I've seen nothing in the intervening years to indicate any further degree of preparedness in either staffing or facilities on board any X ship to demonstrate that X could possibly deal with 12 times that many. 

• Thanks 1

I think even 10 years ago Children were not so commonplace on Cruise Ships as they are now.

you have reminded me that a couple of times in the daily planner there were a few words asking that children be better supervised doors not slammed and corridors were not to run in

cant remember the exact wording but it was a little amusing

I still stand by what I originally said

The children situation is not an acceptable explanation for all the other shortcomings on our trip

will be interesting to see the next batch of reviews from the cruise that followed ours

incidentally  I had a reply back on Tuesday last ftom Celebrity Uk

my subsequent reply back is as yet unaddressed

they are very aware that out sailing was a mess

7 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Bo, I usually find your remarks right on the mark, but this one seems to me a miss. This whole thread reminded me of a cruise we took on X Infinity about 12 years ago during the 2 weeks prior to Christmas. We disembarked on the 21st of December. During that cruise many different crew members told us with tremulous voices and visible fear that we were lucky to be sailing on the cruise we were on and not the holiday sailing following it. The reason they gave is that the ship was going to be overrun with over 50 children!  If 50 children struck fear in their hearts can you just imagine the terror that the impending 600 caused? Many of the crew members on that long ago cruise told us that they just weren't equipped to deal with that many children ...50! 

I've seen nothing in the intervening years to indicate any further degree of preparedness in either staffing or facilities on board any X ship to demonstrate that X could possibly deal with 12 times that many. 

L - thank you for the comments.

My 'base' experience of children on a sailing is The Summit two (2) years ago. There were over 150 children on this summer Alaska sailing...

Now, the first several days I did not realize that there were so many until one night we were in the Sky Lounge taking the elevator down and voila 15 had to squeeze on the elevator going back to their cabin as they were running late for their curfew... 12.15a.

The next morning someone had arranged a 'Youth' excursion in Juneau, they were excited and showed it ala loud exclamations of what they wanted to see and experience, new friends going with them etc... I responded with smiles at their excitement and joy. Were the decibels a little high? Of course. Cause for concern or upset? No.

On one sea day I was asked by several groups of 10 - 15 year olds to have my picture taken with them because they needed a photo of someone with a 'grey' mustache.... the screams of joy at finding me, while I was drinking at the bar, was, shall we say a bit discerning at first but understood after the first explanation it was a Treasure Hunt... How could I say no?

Yes, there were a few times in either the OVC or near Al Bacio there were a children running around and speaking in their 'loud' voices yet this was not overwhelming, IMO.

Not sure how I would have reacted with 600 aboard. If they were being disruptive, maybe a few trips to GS to help them figure out what they can do about the situation.. LOL, maybe go hold a few sessions for the children about how to be a bit more low-keyed while on the ship so everyone can have a nice sailing???

To be circumspect about it all, maybe I have a bit higher tolerance for teens, tweens and children than others?

Unfortunately, it sounds like there is no good way for those sailing out of Southampton to figure out if there will be a great number of "children" on their sailings even if they do know when school holidays take place and do not take steps in advance to avoid those sailings.

I do have empathy for those who are perturbed and disturbed by masses of children, especially when they are 'unruly' as it were... for me in such a situation would be a teaching moment. I do accept that not everyone goes on a cruise for such interactions or social activities.

Thank you again and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

That was well said Bo !

I have no problem with children as a rule. As a lifelong teacher I am very used to dealing with children and left to my own devices....not a problem. The problem lies with.... the parents.

As a previous inhabitant of the UK seaside resort Blackpool, I am all too aware of the "I'm on holiday - nothing can interrupt my holiday, nothing bad can possibly happen... I can switch off and do as I like" attitude  of too many adults/parents. Bad enough in a resort but on the confines of a cruise ship? It is very difficult for ordinary members of staff to be able to 'confront' guests or their children as this could generate a complaint about them. I have no problem addressing children re their behaviour..... there are ways to do that which lessen the issue of confrontation. However it is the ship's management which should be acting. Yes they should be providing age appropriate activities for the children and yes Celebrity had plenty of warning re the numbers scheduled for that trip. 

As an ex teacher I do delight in holidaying during school term times....and as people have pointed out, they have come to associate Celebrity as a company not essentially targeting families with children. They, in my opinion, dropped the ball on this one and the 'bright spark' who came up with the 'children go free' ploy needs to be sent on training re thinking things through (for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - would be a start! )  From people's comments on this thread it would seem that they have lost  a few regular clients. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dorisdoris1 said:

I think even 10 years ago Children were not so commonplace on Cruise Ships as they are now.

you have reminded me that a couple of times in the daily planner there were a few words asking that children be better supervised doors not slammed and corridors were not to run in

cant remember the exact wording but it was a little amusing

I still stand by what I originally said

The children situation is not an acceptable explanation for all the other shortcomings on our trip

will be interesting to see the next batch of reviews from the cruise that followed ours

incidentally  I had a reply back on Tuesday last ftom Celebrity Uk

my subsequent reply back is as yet unaddressed

they are very aware that out sailing was a mess

Interested to know how you get on with Celebrity as they are aware that this sailing had issues.

I was just checking out the new offer on Celebrity UK and was quite surprised to notice many cruises showing "Deal:School Holiday Cruises" then I found this: 

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruise-deals/family-cruises/

In light of our recent experience with a School Holiday Cruise and that there are 3 pages of cruises applying to this deal you might want to check if your considering one.

image.png

• Thanks 1

Ive asked for and been sent an  Abta Link to escalate my complaints, Celebrity are not obliged to even answer my grievance for 28 days.

In fact they state that the reason they even bothered to answer my first email is because I reached out on Social Media,so thats " damage limitation" but only short  term in my view.

My next move will be to ask my T/A to contact his Celebrity Rep ,as I have an email now apologising for some of the issues, but skirting over others, and adding  some for good measure.

Edited by dorisdoris1

It is not only masses of children that can be problematic.

We were on one cruise where a cute little girl, about 3 years old, would get up on the dance floor and dance in the Rendezvous Lounge in the evenings after dinner while the musicians were playing, causing the adult dancers to leave the floor.

It was not enjoyable for the adults to dance while constantly needing to keep looking down to avoid stepping on or bumping her, besides not wanting to take a chance of accidentally injuring her.

Her parents, cheering her on, seemed totally oblivious to what was happening.

As soon as the little girl and her family left, the dance floor was again packed with adult dancers.

On 8/18/2019 at 5:30 PM, DebInAntigua said:

Oh wow I would have hated dealing with all those kids especially when the parents think they are oh-so-CUTE dancing around the evening entertainment and taking over the pools. 

We recently booked a sky suite for a double holiday sailing in 2020 out of Tampa. Hope I’m not going to regret choosing that date!

I’m thinking the same thing. It’s selling out fast. 

17 hours ago, dorisdoris1 said:

Ive asked for and been sent an  Abta Link to escalate my complaints, Celebrity are not obliged to even answer my grievance for 28 days.

In fact they state that the reason they even bothered to answer my first email is because I reached out on Social Media,so thats " damage limitation" but only short  term in my view.

My next move will be to ask my T/A to contact his Celebrity Rep ,as I have an email now apologising for some of the issues, but skirting over others, and adding  some for good measure.

What are you expectations from Celebrity in light of your complaint.

My honest answer has to be I don’t know

that said I really feel it should be investigated and followed up because if not then how many other passengers are to be parted from their hard earned money( 6 of us plus packages) only for Celebrity to care not a jot!

its actually pretty dishonest

it’s also very shoddy practice