Late Season Mediterranean Cruise

mozfoz

We are considering a cruise on the Rivera, departing on October 16, 2020. The cruise is port intensive, but includes many ports we have not visited. The sailing leaves Lisbon and ends in Rome. I have looked at the average temperatures for all ports and they all seem to average in the 60 degree areas. We have no problem with cool weather, but cloudy, damp conditions are not fun.I know the days will be shorter, as it will be towards the end of daylight savings time. The crowds should be less of an issue and the airfares should also be promising. My concern is that the sailing is at the end of the season. Will the ports seem deserted, will the weather be acceptable, is a late season sailing less desirable. I would appreciate anyones experience or general knowledge that they can share.

We cruise the Med in February/March and October/November.

You simply could not pay me to do it July/August.

Almost all the stuff you describe (quieter ports, cooler weather) we see as a plus.

The private guides we hire are grateful for the shoulder season business and are eager to customise trips for us.

You can get up close to attractions, no crowds.

Service in restaurants is less frenetic.

The ship does not have to compete for berthing space.

So it gets dark a little earlier... helps set the mood for good food, good wine, and good conversations aboard.

God knows lots of people prefer July/August.

And god knows why.

• Like 4

We've done 5 or 6 cruises in the Mediterranean in October and November, and all have had very nice weather, with most days reaching the low to mid 70's. We haven't been in Portugal during that time, but have been from Spain to Venice, going both directions. The only bad weather we have encounted was in Venice where it was rainy and cool. Some days were shorts and tee shirts, others needed long pants and a sweater or jacket, but all were comfortable for walking around and sightseeing. The ports are definitely not deserted, but there are few if any crowds and line ups, and it is easy to get around. I my opinion that is the very best time to visit the Mediterranean ports.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

like everything in life,  late season is a trade off.

FWIW, you will probably notice that the seas are rougher later in the Season.

You may have issues lading in Tender ports.

Fortunately, there are no scheduled tender ports.  

15 minutes ago, carlsbadguy said:

I have a Med cruise from Monaco planned for this November as the dates fit with other engagements.  Cool weather is fine as long as it is not rainy. Will see.

The Monaco has the high Maritime Alps rising right out of the edge or town unlike Cannes.   They  are cold and  the moist air off the med condenses.....     You may not get Rain  but cloudy conditions a lot,  That was my experience the last 2 years    Europe inland after October 15 was getting hammered     Past the Rhone valley  east  , the Alps  create a lot of weather

I am aware that there is a chance for not great weather.  However, we like this unique set of ports and we have not been to most of them.  If the cruise was a month earlier the weather would be better but we cannot travel during September.  There is a September cruise on Sirena that is similar but only 7 days. With such a short cruise it does not hit some of the ports I want.  Plus the September issue.  The price of the cruise is discounted for the late date and I am willing to take our chances with the weather.  Only the OP can decide if the pros and cons work for them.  

Edited by KS&JW

We did eastern med in late October/early November.

No crowds - on and off the funicular easily in Santorini - we were the first of two ships there - lovely!

It rained a little in Venice, but it was over quickly and there were less crowds. 

Naples/Pompeii was busy, but not manic. 

Weather was generally lovely, not too hot, not cool. 

I would trade heat for less crowds any day. 

• Like 1

Not sure what the OP wants. We can all give ancedotal information on past cruises all of which means nothing for future cruises. We sailed late Oct to mid November, Athens- Rome, via several Adriatic ports and Venice and had wonderful weather.

The “ average “ temperatures quoted are just that, an average. That average includes some wonderfully warm days and some bitter cold days. 

If you like the itinerary, like the price, then just do it and stop overthinking it. October can be delightful in the Med. No guarantees. I personally would not pay a premium to sail in September over October in the region the OP referenced.

• Like 2

Did Venice to Barcelona on Riviera two years ago in mid-November.  I believe the only rainy day was Kotor.  Aside from that, nice weather.  No port was even close to deserted.   The only dreadful crowds were at the Vatican (never again!!!).  

Would not hesitate to do the same again.

October/November, and even into December (depending on the itinerary) are our preferred sailing times for the Med.  Visited Europe once in July, and suffice it to say “never again!”  Too expensive, too hot and too many people.  Oct./Nov. is much more civilized all the way around.  And last I knew I won’t melt in the rain.

If you like the itinerary, go for it.  Even if the weather isn’t great, the fact you are seeing the ports you want will make you forget the weather.  And if you need some different clothing or an umbrella, you can buy it there.

Edited by TKS

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Not sure what the OP wants. We can all give ancedotal information on past cruises all of which means nothing for future cruises.

I do not want anything. I merely asked for experiences or general knowledge for sailing that area, at that time of the year. All the responses were very positive and helpful. Of course, "past performance is no indication of future returns". I thought that goes without saying. For everything! 

PS: Booked the cruise.

• Like 4

I responded earlier in this thread that our first Renaissance cruise was Lisbon-Barcelona in October and our weather was great.

OTOH -- and I'm not trying to compare these areas -- when we did a riverboat cruise, Amsterdam to Basel in November 2003 -- lots of people were complaining about how "cold" it was.  We'd been in those areas at that time of year before so we weren't surprised. But Germany/Netherlands, etc., in November is very different -- usually -- from the Med!

Mura

2 hours ago, mozfoz said:

I do not want anything. I merely asked for experiences or general knowledge for sailing that area, at that time of the year. All the responses were very positive and helpful. Of course, "past performance is no indication of future returns". I thought that goes without saying. For everything! 

PS: Booked the cruise.

Glad you booked it. We’ve done 2 Med cruises in October as well as spent 5 days in Monaco in October. We had a bit of dark cloud and the occasional rain shower but we still had beach days. Even in Monaco we had beach days. Enjoy.  

Best weather for the Med that we ever had was an early November cruise.  You are back on the ship by the time it gets dark so we didn't even consider shorter days a negative.  Cooler temperatures and few crowds made for a relaxing trip.  You couldn't pay me enough to do it in July or August ever again!

• Like 1