Next cruise the Star, no OM thank you

Qcruise

We'll be aboard the Star in a few weeks for an Alaska turn around coastal out of Seattle.   I feel it will be nice to only have our key cards and not deal with all the extra stuff......call us traditional but I think we're fine with that.  Until they get everything ironed out.....just a pita IMO......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

We'll be aboard the Star in a few weeks for an Alaska turn around coastal out of Seattle.   I feel it will be nice to only have our key cards and not deal with all the extra stuff......call us traditional but I think we're fine with that.  Until they get everything ironed out.....just a pita IMO......

Why not just refuse the OM, and demand Princess issue you only an “old school”  cruise card?

Good luck, enjoy your cruise, and hope you prevail.  👍

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Why not just refuse the OM, and demand Princess issue you only an “old school”  cruise card?

Good luck, enjoy your cruise, and hope you prevail.  👍

there's that word again ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only Medallion cruise we've done so far was the Royal this year and it was not fully completed.  We were issued both the cards and the medallions.......one needed to use both during our cruise.  Most cruise companies use the cards at present.  One gives up some privacies with the new system,  as you are tracked as to your location wearing the device.  For instance,  if your spouse leaves the cabin to get you both coffee and takes your medallion,  the steward could in theory enter your cabin as he thinks you're both away.  

16 hours ago, maggie777 said:

Are cruise cards still available on all or most ships?

We just got off the Royal Princess on an Alaska cruise and went to the customer service desk and requested an ol' traditional cruise card for me and my wife. We didn't use them; we just wanted them to add to our collection of past cards. No problem getting one; within a couple of minutes we had ours.

• Like 2

I'm curious what was the issue with the OM?  The only thing we used ours for was to breeze onto the ship.  (so fast and easy) and to open our door.  What did you have problems with?  I was questioning if I would like it.....I don't like change.  But it was really no difference then the card to us.   One thing we did try to do is search for our kids on the ship.  The medallion said they were not on the ship when we left port.  In fact it didn't show them off and on during the cruise.  It also showed us as being in the sports court a lot.....no.  Anyway has that been ironed out?

Edited by sprint180

On 8/22/2019 at 10:01 AM, Qcruise said:

The Star is not fitted with Ocean Medallion as it is being sold in two years......my comment is only that we're looking forward to the old school ship once more.

Am I understanding you correctly?  The Star is being sold in two years?  Why, and to whom?  We have fond memories of our first cruise in 2012, and it was on the Star to Alaska.  At that time, we were allowed to use Skywalkers, even tho we only had a mini-suite, and were newbies.  Loved it.  Are booked on Christmas cruise on Crown, and “think” we’re “Ocean Ready”.  We are two old fossils, who are technologically challenged.  I went through all the motions, and ordered my medallions, so they say I’m all set, but I still feel insecure about it.  Could it be because our name is Murphy? LOL

We're on the Star to Hawaii in November and happy to hear no OM.  We were on her to Hawaii a few years back and I hope we get to stop at ALL the islands and the food is better than what we had the first time.  We missed the first island - Captain said it was too windy.  Was not happy about that as we did not experience any wind.  It was our first time to Hawaii on the Star.  We've been back since on the Grand.  We're tired of the Grand, so hopefully things have improved on the Star.

2 hours ago, Madio said:

Am I understanding you correctly?  The Star is being sold in two years?  Why, and to whom?  We have fond memories of our first cruise in 2012, and it was on the Star to Alaska.  At that time, we were allowed to use Skywalkers, even tho we only had a mini-suite, and were newbies.  Loved it.  Are booked on Christmas cruise on Crown, and “think” we’re “Ocean Ready”.  We are two old fossils, who are technologically challenged.  I went through all the motions, and ordered my medallions, so they say I’m all set, but I still feel insecure about it.  Could it be because our name is Murphy? LOL

Selling to P&O Australia late 2021

21 hours ago, sprint180 said:

I'm curious what was the issue with the OM?  The only thing we used ours for was to breeze onto the ship.  (so fast and easy) and to open our door.  What did you have problems with?  I was questioning if I would like it.....I don't like change.  But it was really no difference then the card to us.   One thing we did try to do is search for our kids on the ship.  The medallion said they were not on the ship when we left port.  In fact it didn't show them off and on during the cruise.  It also showed us as being in the sports court a lot.....no.  Anyway has that been ironed out?

The tracking thing was definitely something we didn't like with the OM. Kinda creepy to see your face (and cabin number!) pop up on screens throughout the ship. They said the cabin number display thing was "being fixed" but who knows. Also when I left my cabin the door would randomly unlock when I was about twenty feet down the hall. I would go back and stand by the door to relock it, then run down the hall hoping that it stayed locked. Didn't like that either. Again, they said "the locks are being worked on"...hopefully. Oh, and when I ordered my morning mocha at the IC, touching my medallion to the pay thingy, it would occasionally charge me for multiple mochas instead of one. There are no receipts given out there anymore so I couldn't check it. After the first time that happened, and the barista's chuckle (and explanation) was the only thing that made me aware of it, I asked them to check the mocha charge each time. So overall I found the OM to be a pain. Yes it was fast getting on and off the ship, but the other issues were more of a concern to us. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Madio said:

Am I understanding you correctly?  The Star is being sold in two years?  Why, and to whom? 

It's kind of being sold, but more accurately being transferred to the P&O Australia brand of Carnival.  I believe that is scheduled for 2021.  Before going to Australia, the Star will replace the Grand (reported to be going to Singapore,) as the home ported ship in San Francisco.  Both the Grand and the Star are Grand Class vessels.  Additionally, Carnival will add the Carnival Miracle, in 2020, as a home ported ship in San Francisco (probably to attract the affluent younger high-tech demographic that is now a significant part of the San Francisco culture.)

1 hour ago, rocklinmom said:

The tracking thing was definitely something we didn't like with the OM. Kinda creepy to see your face (and cabin number!) pop up on screens throughout the ship. They said the cabin number display thing was "being fixed" but who knows. Also when I left my cabin the door would randomly unlock when I was about twenty feet down the hall. I would go back and stand by the door to relock it, then run down the hall hoping that it stayed locked. Didn't like that either. Again, they said "the locks are being worked on"...hopefully. Oh, and when I ordered my morning mocha at the IC, touching my medallion to the pay thingy, it would occasionally charge me for multiple mochas instead of one. There are no receipts given out there anymore so I couldn't check it. After the first time that happened, and the barista's chuckle (and explanation) was the only thing that made me aware of it, I asked them to check the mocha charge each time. So overall I found the OM to be a pain. Yes it was fast getting on and off the ship, but the other issues were more of a concern to us. 

I didn't notice the name and cabin number thing. Our door opening worked fine but as the cruise went on you had to get closer and closer for it to open.  By the end of the cruise you had to stand there for a second or two before it opened.   Hopefully they got it worked out. I was there in February so I'm sure they did.  Guess I'll just have to go on a cruise again to find out.

59 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

I didn't notice the name and cabin number thing. Our door opening worked fine but as the cruise went on you had to get closer and closer for it to open.  By the end of the cruise you had to stand there for a second or two before it opened.   Hopefully they got it worked out. I was there in February so I'm sure they did.  Guess I'll just have to go on a cruise again to find out.

There is a battery in  the door (looked like a 18650 3.7v).  Ours had to be replaced on the Regal, mid-voyage, because a low battery warning was sent to their maintenance personnel.

We were on the CB last November and had the OM.  Personally I loved it as for the ship "tracking" pax to me is a non-issue.  Your cell phone at home tracks you and you can purchase the right to go online and see where all your cell phones are located at any moment.  This is the first place police go to find out your location and cell phone records.  Our next cruise in November is on the Star with the old technology unfortunately but our cruise after that is on the Ruby in the spring and we will again have the OM.  This will be our last cruise on the older technology ships.

I worked as an IT consultant and I have heard all this ranting about new technology everytime new technology came out.  It will never work they said (OM naysayers).  I will never use it they said.  I will never give up my analog phone for a failing digital phone and on and on which reminds me I need to make sure my smart phone is charged. 

Edited by satxdiver
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/22/2019 at 4:06 PM, maggie777 said:

Are cruise cards still available on all or most ships?

Yes, drop by the Purser's office and request one. I did last week on the Crown (Medallion Class_ as I have been collecting cruise cruise for 30+ years; don't want to stop now!

On 8/25/2019 at 12:53 PM, satxdiver said:

We were on the CB last November and had the OM.  Personally I loved it as for the ship "tracking" pax to me is a non-issue.  Your cell phone at home tracks you and you can purchase the right to go online and see where all your cell phones are located at any moment.  This is the first place police go to find out your location and cell phone records.  Our next cruise in November is on the Star with the old technology unfortunately but our cruise after that is on the Ruby in the spring and we will again have the OM.  This will be our last cruise on the older technology ships.

I worked as an IT consultant and I have heard all this ranting about new technology everytime new technology came out.  It will never work they said (OM naysayers).  I will never use it they said.  I will never give up my analog phone for a failing digital phone and on and on which reminds me I need to make sure my smart phone is charged. 

I'm with you, we were on the Royal last fall, had OM there, and just loved it!!