First Cruise Advice Please

We are taking my in-laws on what will be their first ever cruise, and I would appreciate any suggestions please.  They would like to visit the Norwegian Fjords, and after researching the various itineraries and cruise companies, I am still a little unsure which would be best??  Is there a particular cruise line or itinerary that is recommended for the Fjords?  My mother in law is also a bit worried about sea sickness, so from our own personal experience of cruising (and sickness), we think the very small ships are to be avoided.  We have cruised with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess so far, and for this one have been leaning towards Holland America a little, but would definitely appreciate any advice before we book.

I have also read somewhere that the regulations are changing for the Fjord cruises, so is it likely that there will be last minute itinerary changes?  Many thanks.  

I think most of the cruise lines visit similar ports, but I would definately pick an itinerary that includes both Flam and Gerainger, as they are both spectacular sail ins and outs. Get an aft cabin if you can for the view!

Simon

15 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

I think most of the cruise lines visit similar ports, but I would definately pick an itinerary that includes both Flam and Gerainger, as they are both spectacular sail ins and outs. Get an aft cabin if you can for the view!

Simon

Flam and geiranger are amazing, but these are two fjords affected by new regulations requiring ships to be more eco friendly in order to dock.  If you find an itinerary you like, post it here and hopefully someone can tell you if the ship meets the new regulations.  

You might want to look at Viking. Norway is their home turf and they do it very well. The Midnight Sun Cruise is spectacular. Shore excursions in all ports are included. The ships accommodate 900 or so passengers and are certainly not small but might be much easier to navigate for your in laws. Fewer passengers means a LOT less wait time on and off the ship,  at meals, etc. initial price looks high but when you consider what’s included and do the math there’s not as much difference as you might think (excursions, internet, wine with meals, spa, specialty restaurants etc are included and all cabins have a balcony). 

We just completed a 2 week cruise on HAL Nieuw Statendam to the North Cape.  It was amazing.  Eidfjord was a favorite port as was Alesund and the Troll Road.  The scenery is breathtaking!  Flam and Bergen are nice but the smaller cities are what we enjoyed with crisp clean air and waterfalls and sheer beauty.

4 minutes ago, westcoastcruiser said:

We just completed a 2 week cruise on HAL Nieuw Statendam to the North Cape.  It was amazing.  Eidfjord was a favorite port as was Alesund and the Troll Road.  The scenery is breathtaking!  Flam and Bergen are nice but the smaller cities are what we enjoyed with crisp clean air and waterfalls and sheer beauty.

Ah, I would have loved to have continued on for another week to see more of Norway! Flam was my favorite port, but the other ones sound really nice, too.

Best thing is to sit down with a travel agent & pick an itinerary that is best for you, then look at cost and then cruise line/ship. We're doing the 14 Day Voyage of the Midnight Sun on the Nieuw Statendam with Holland America July 2020. What ship/line you decide enjoy your cruise.  

I have been looking at the Holland America 7 Day Norse Legends for either 24th May 2020 or 21st June 2020 sailings.  Ideally we would do a 14 night cruise, but my inlaws preference is a 7 night cruise for their first one so we are happy to do that.  This one goes to Geiranger, Alesund, Bergen and Eidfjord, but there doesn't seem to be one that goes to Flam and Geiranger on the 7 night cruise.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to find out if the new regulations will affect this cruise.

Thank you for all your advice, it is greatly appreciated.  

On 8/22/2019 at 7:42 PM, Spanieleyes said:

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess so far, and for this one have been leaning towards Holland America

All are good choices from either Copenhagen, Southampton or Amsterdam (probably more departure ports)

Is there a particular cruise line or itinerary that is recommended for the Fjords?

Do some research on ports - I do prefer Geiranger, Flåm for the scenic Fjord sailing and excellent ports - Olden is also a good choice as well as Bergen.

have also read somewhere that the regulations are changing for the Fjord cruises, so is it likely that there will be last minute itinerary changes

I think most cruise lines are aware of the changes and does have 2020 itinerary under control.

We feel that Flam and Gerianger are the essential ports.  We also enjoyed Bergen very much.  Make sure you buy your tickets for the Flambana scenic train in Flam in advance.  It will be sold out before your ship arrives.  We saw long lines of very disappointed cruisers trying to buy tickets the morning of.