Atlantic storm Dorian

PelicanBill

6 hours ago, Traciewatson said:

Having never been in any kind of major storm (I live in Arizona) can I ask any of you that have to help me. I’m not only worried about my cruise anymore I’m more worried about taking my

kids to a place that has a CAT 3 Hurricane on its way. Have a hotel at cocoa beach should we move more inland? What do you do?

Do what's best for your family..book inland near a hospital..most electrical systems near hospital are less vulnerable to outrage. The hotels at beach will evacuate due to possible flooding.

5 hours ago, Traciewatson said:

We are flying from Phoenix, AZ to Orlando, FL Friday and have reservations at the LaQuinta in CoCoa Beach. We are booked for Harmony 9/1 out of Port Canaveral.  RCCL has given us no clarity on them canceling at this time so still not sure what I’m going to do. I will go ahead and make reservations at a hotel near the airport in case. Thanks so much! 

If it makes you feel any better we are from Phoenix as well headed to FLL on Friday for a Saturday departure (hopefully) on the Equinox. Just stay alert and I am sure you guys will be fine, worse case scenario you are delayed leaving port 1-2 days and have to pay for a hotel extra days. Just go with the flow and watch the forecast. The only thing that would keep us from going is waking up on Friday to head to the airport and finding out Dorian is a cat 4 or 5 headed for a direct hit to southern Florida with an arrival day on Saturday. Do you have insurance?

7 minutes ago, Gishua_ said:

If it makes you feel any better we are from Phoenix as well headed to FLL on Friday for a Saturday departure (hopefully) on the Equinox. Just stay alert and I am sure you guys will be fine, worse case scenario you are delayed leaving port 1-2 days and have to pay for a hotel extra days. Just go with the flow and watch the forecast. The only thing that would keep us from going is waking up on Friday to head to the airport and finding out Dorian is a cat 4 or 5 headed for a direct hit to southern Florida with an arrival day on Saturday. Do you have insurance?

Safe travels! And nope no insurance. I know not the smartest of ideas to cruise in hurricane season with no insurance. You live and you learn. I talked to someone at our hotel in Cocoa Beach tonight and she made me feel a lot better. She basically said they are used to hurricanes and they are already preparing for it and that the storm hits, does make some devastation, but really only to where it hits and then moves on. She said a CAT 3 to them is no big deal and that the news really hyped it up. She called it “ just a really bad storm”. Of course, I think the storm we are getting here in Chandler tonight is a bad one and I’m pretty sure our winds are only about 30MPH! Lol I am feeling more confident that we will get on Harmony, but I know we will be delayed and that’s okay. 

38 minutes ago, aloyisuscowboy said:

Do what's best for your family..book inland near a hospital..most electrical systems near hospital are less vulnerable to outrage. The hotels at beach will evacuate due to possible flooding.

We are coming in Friday, staying in Cocoa Beach until Sunday and then if the hurricane is coming towards us we are going to move inland before the bridges close to the island. We will either be hopefully on Harmony sometime next week, or we are headed to say hello to Mickey Mouse for the rest of our vacation. 

• Like 1

Although I’m a cruiser, at the moment I’m at WDW Orlando with family, scheduled to leave Sunday out of MCO.  Crossing my fingers and wondering if/how I will get home, given Labor Day weekend I’d expect Monday’s flights to be heavily booked - but from the projections and what I’m reading here, I’m thinking MCO may be shut down Sunday and Monday?

What concerns me is showing up at the airport and THEN my flight being cancelled.  WDW evidently has a hurricane plan so other than paying whatever for extra nights, I assume we will be fine here.  I just don’t want to be stranded at the airport!

44 minutes ago, Traciewatson said:

Safe travels! And nope no insurance. I know not the smartest of ideas to cruise in hurricane season with no insurance. You live and you learn. I talked to someone at our hotel in Cocoa Beach tonight and she made me feel a lot better. She basically said they are used to hurricanes and they are already preparing for it and that the storm hits, does make some devastation, but really only to where it hits and then moves on. She said a CAT 3 to them is no big deal and that the news really hyped it up. She called it “ just a really bad storm”. Of course, I think the storm we are getting here in Chandler tonight is a bad one and I’m pretty sure our winds are only about 30MPH! Lol I am feeling more confident that we will get on Harmony, but I know we will be delayed and that’s okay. 

We don't have travel insurance either. Oh well it is my Birthday on the 3rd and I am determined to have a great trip. Yeah we had some gusts at 50 MPH here in Central Phoenix. I am sure you'll be fine and think of it as an adventure. We were on the Harmony in December, you and your family will love it. Safe Travels!

Edited by Gishua_

5 hours ago, Traciewatson said:

Not trying to scare you or rain on your parade but Cocoa Beach area has not had a hurricane for a long time.  The central east coast of Florida has been spared over the last few decades of a major hurricane.  A Cat 3 storm leaves devastating damage to those in its direct path.  No one should be in a beach hotel and there would be mandatory evacuations. However its too early to tell where this thing is going.

Also the latest states the hurricane will hover over Florida for well over a day which causes more damage. No, Disney will not be open for days.

If your cruise leaves before Sunday there should not be any problems. But if it leaves later, you are subject to getting stuck with no power, no hot water, food rations, etc.

I live in the cone and I am not trying to scare you but it was a foolish statement to tell you "its just a bad storm."  I've been through Cat 1 and 2 and I don't want to see a 3 or 4.  Look what Michael did to the panhandle last year as a 4.  Would you want to stay at those ocean hotels?  I think not.  They lost roofs, etc.

If a hurricane warning is issued for the coast of east Florida (which is expected), no tourists will be allowed to go to barrier reef beach hotels.  So not sure if the woman who told you "its just a bad storm" is trying to get you to not cancel your business.  But its still too early to make any calls.  Not for another 48 hours.

Edited by david_sobe

12 hours ago, Traciewatson said:

Having never been in any kind of major storm (I live in Arizona) can I ask any of you that have to help me. I’m not only worried about my cruise anymore I’m more worried about taking my

kids to a place that has a CAT 3 Hurricane on its way. Have a hotel at cocoa beach should we move more inland? What do you do?

We lived through Andrew (when we lived in SFL), Matthew, Irma, and a number of other storms and I would not be in Cocoa Beach based upon what the current forecast is showing.  A Cat 3 is a "big deal" despite what the hotel says and it may be bigger according to some models. 

Evacuations may be ordered soon.   Directly inland may not be a good idea as the storm is expected to cross the peninsula as a hurricane emerging in the Gulf of Mexico.  I'd head north and west.  This is based on the current forecast (0500 Thursday) and it's best to watch the National Hurricane Center forecast for the best information and not any of us armchair forecasters.

Edited by ricka47

Having lived through quite a few hurricanes here is my two cents. If I had insurance that

covered cancelling I think I would. If you don't want to cancel and/or don't have insurance

and was reasonably sure you can make it to Florida either by car or air

I would get on the phone and make a reservation for a hotel and car away from the coast and

preferably out of the cone area. In my suitcase I would pack non-perishable food and

bottled water or if flying some containers for water you can fill when you get to the hotel.

Bring extra cash in case the ATM's are down. My first choice would be to cancel especially

if traveling with children.At a minimum be sure whatever hotel you have has a restaurant in it not

just a free breakfast as most stores, attractions, and restaurants will be closed if it hits.

Safety first. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, erdoran said:

Although I’m a cruiser, at the moment I’m at WDW Orlando with family, scheduled to leave Sunday out of MCO.  Crossing my fingers and wondering if/how I will get home, given Labor Day weekend I’d expect Monday’s flights to be heavily booked - but from the projections and what I’m reading here, I’m thinking MCO may be shut down Sunday and Monday?

What concerns me is showing up at the airport and THEN my flight being cancelled.  WDW evidently has a hurricane plan so other than paying whatever for extra nights, I assume we will be fine here.  I just don’t want to be stranded at the airport!

I have traveled when snow storms/blizzards are forecast and my fear has been getting stranded at the airport too.

Especially when flying out of LaGuardia.

I have been known to make reservations at an airport hotel before time even if it is "wasted money" if I don't need

it. I consider it insurance and helps my peace of mind as airport hotels fill up quickly and I am a senior citizen

and would not do well sleeping on the airport floor.

No much change to Florida landfall and strength. But it has slowed a little and landfall is expected Monday night now.  As others have said, the models diverge greatly at 4-5 days so we just can't say reliably where it's going to hit. it is expected to be cat 2 later today and cat 3 tomorrow or Saturday.  Freeport and northern Bahama Islands could be in danger now.  I expect a lot of news on air travel and cruises today and tomorrow.

The weather update pages for Carnival and Royal Caribbean are very detailed and lay out all cruises and dates that are affected, or may be affected. Unfortunately, NCL and Celebrity have no messages posted on their web sites.

• Like 1

Models vary widely.......   Here--- "Latest 12z EURO. NOT NOT GOOD! Florida crossover potentially as a monster cane and curves up towards the panhandle. Just one run of many runs to come. Not an official forecast by any means. But as we get closer and closer need to share all possibilities brewing with Dorian. Florida east coast still likely. Curve coming north likely. Major Hurricane likely. Timing this weekend.www.spaghettimodels.com / Drunk Donkey gear atteespring.com/stores/mikes-weather-page  "

69373744_10157267821457367_2929382122114252800_n.png

Edited by Fogfog

I know it's hard for those of you traveling now and the next 4 days... but at this point travel insurance won't cover you as no cruises have been canceled and no flights are canceled.  Flight change waivers are not yet in effect for Florida but will be soon.  You may be able to convince an airline to let you make changes now anyway.  But phone lines will have long waits.  If your cruise schedule changes, your insurance may not cover canceling, it may only cover extra costs.  It's a good time to read your coverage.

Who ever you spoke to is WRONG about a cat 3 being no big deal.  It is a big deal.  I have a winter home on the island just 15 miles south of Cocoa Beach.  Hurricane Jennie  made land fall about 60 miles south of us.  Talk about damage, there was plenty.  There has been damage in the area form the past storms.

Remember you don't have to have the eye go over you to get damage.  Even the outer band can cause major damage.  There are tornadoes that are rain wrapped in these bands.

Did that person tell you that they turn OFF the water on the island during a hurricane sometimes?

Keep checking the storm info.  Things can change on where it make land fall.  But remember a hurricane is just not a dot on a map, it is a large storm that cause damage far away from the eye too.

https://www.cocoafl.org/Faq.aspx?QID=342

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 1

Take a look at this collection of model runs.  See the consensus for the path?  Neither do the experts.  There's little help. So they are relying on more traditional forecasting methods to study the steering currents and possible shear from the high pressure systems to the NW and SE of Florida. These create a seam that the storm should slip into. The shape of those highs, on Sunday and Monday, will determine the path into and over Florida.Image may contain: outdoor

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Not trying to scare you or rain on your parade but Cocoa Beach area has not had a hurricane for a long time.  The central east coast of Florida has been spared over the last few decades of a major hurricane.  A Cat 3 storm leaves devastating damage to those in its direct path.  No one should be in a beach hotel and there would be mandatory evacuations. However its too early to tell where this thing is going.

Also the latest states the hurricane will hover over Florida for well over a day which causes more damage. No, Disney will not be open for days.

If your cruise leaves before Sunday there should not be any problems. But if it leaves later, you are subject to getting stuck with no power, no hot water, food rations, etc.

I live in the cone and I am not trying to scare you but it was a foolish statement to tell you "its just a bad storm."  I've been through Cat 1 and 2 and I don't want to see a 3 or 4.  Look what Michael did to the panhandle last year as a 4.  Would you want to stay at those ocean hotels?  I think not.  They lost roofs, etc.

If a hurricane warning is issued for the coast of east Florida (which is expected), no tourists will be allowed to go to barrier reef beach hotels.  So not sure if the woman who told you "its just a bad storm" is trying to get you to not cancel your business.  But its still too early to make any calls.  Not for another 48 hours.

I totally agree that the lady from LaQunita should not have told them “just a bad storm”, because if the predictions are correct, the hotel WILL be evacuated. I’d keep informed from Royal Caribbean, and I’d reserve a hotel by MCO, or like someone suggested by the hospital. (Never thought about their power grid being better)

John and LaLa witnessed first hand a very bad hurricane a couple of years ago (not decades) from their condo ON Cocoa Beach. There was major damage to the port restaurants and the hotels and condos had mandatory evacuations. LaLa will never stay again in her condo during a hurricane. It was a very frightening experience. 

I've experienced several “hurricane” cruises, and Royal Caribbean fully compensated everyone. We always buy travel insurance, but never had to submit a claim because of a Royal Caribbean hurricane cruise.

I'm booked on Allure from Ft Lauderdale 9/8, and a little concerned about my flights on Saturday 9/7, depending on where Dorian goes after coming into Florida. 

Stay informed. Stay safe.

Image didn't show up, but the ensemble map on Tropical Weather Underground is a hot mess.  But a couple of the more "reliable" models are starting to turn more northward as the holiday nears.  But they've all been wrong since Tuesday.

Kinda agree that the presence of these highs and the Atlantic high have been the primary influence of the path thus far.  And could well tell the future direction.

Good Morning Everyone!

Looks like we're getting on the Sun at Noon today and leave Florida before the incoming storm 😕

Hopefully they have a island or 2 to take us to where it's nice and sunny. Before we come to hurricane ravaged Florida on Monday maybe....

3 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

Good Morning Everyone!

Looks like we're getting on the Sun at Noon today and leave Florida before the incoming storm 😕

Hopefully they have a island or 2 to take us to where it's nice and sunny. Before we come to hurricane ravaged Florida on Monday maybe....

Happy sailings.  I am sure your cruise will be fine

We are coming in Friday, staying in Cocoa Beach until Sunday and then if the hurricane is coming towards us we are going to move inland before the bridges close to the island. We will either be hopefully on Harmony sometime next week, or we are headed to say hello to Mickey Mouse for the rest of our vacation. 

Good plan.  And Disneyworld's buildings are some of the safest and they have a good protocol for storms.  I was also disturbed by your hotel person's interpretation.  That is the attitude of residents who have escaped the storms a number of times. They become resistant to preparation and evacuation and they're the ones who lose their homes and have no food or water or die when it finally does come their way.  Category 3 will create a devastating path 25-50 miles wide for sure.  I hope they change their mind soon,

I hope so... I guess its better to be a on a cruise that can move out of the way of the storm rather than staying here in port Canaveral where a storm is imminent. 

Keep telling the wife the cruise ship can move out of the path but Florida or another island can't. 

I'm not sure what plans to make.  We are travelling from Ireland Sunday through Boston to MCO due to arrive 6pm.  Booked into beachfront hotel Port Canaveral with the hope of boarding Norwegian Sun Monday Sept 2nd.  We are considering 

- Booking Boston hotel for Sunday night in case MCO is closed 

- Booking hotel near MCO for Sunday night and cancelling PC hotel (but we might not get to MCO on Sunday!)

-or both!

We did think about staying in Boston for the duration but as the cruise is not cancelled our insurance wouldnt cover the loss and our homeward flight is direct from MCO!!

Does anyone have a crystal ball?  I'd appreciate any advice !  Thanks

One poster said they sometimes turn the water off. I didn't know that but I do know

that one hurricane  I lived through they turned the power off ahead of time to prevent

people getting hurt from downed power lines. This was not in Florida though.

I feel for those who are unsure of what to do. 

We're on Mariner tomorrow out of PC. Royal has been really good about keeping us informed. I've received an email from them with update twice now. They've closed CocoCay (I believe till Wednesday) and we are going to have a sea day instead. They are giving us 1 days' worth of future cruise credit to compensate for missing CocoCay. I'm really pleasantly surprised they're doing this. Great surprise! I'm  amazed though that they think we are still going to Nassau on Saturday. I've told my family to pack extra clothes, as I highly doubt we will be able to get back in to port on Monday. Also, bought more Dramamine today! Be safe everyone, and have an extra drink onboard!!

• Like 2