Hurricane Dorian talk

10 minutes ago, tface023 said:

Is it possible that the Port Canaveral departures will be moved to Fort Lauderdale or Miami?

Possible.  Also possible they will cancel or make major changes to the itinerary, like shortening the cruise.  If the storm stays on track to hit PC as a CAT 3, I would think they would not want any ships in the port.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Possible.  Also possible they will cancel or make major changes to the itinerary, like shortening the cruise.  If the storm stays on track to hit PC as a CAT 3, I would think they would not want any ships in the port.

If the cruise is shortened dont they generally give a full refund option?  

2 minutes ago, ryano said:

I cannot recall, but I'd be surprised if they didn't offer a full refund option if they shortended the cruise more than a day or so.  This situation has much visibility, and I think that works in your favor.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ryano said:

In the past, they have had a full refund option for those who don't want to sail and a different offer for those who are sailing a shortened itinerary.  They learned after having people go to Galveston when the port was closed for days.

I am sorry that it doesn't look good for this cruise you have waited a long time.  Hopefully, the 3pm update will give you an idea of your options.  Be safe!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

...  Hopefully, the 3pm update will give you an idea of your options.  ...

Unfortunately, Royal has punted any public release of itinerary change info until tomorrow.

22 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Air2Sea will make arrangements to get you to the next port if you don't make the ship on time.

Too many variables to know what the ship will do. 

What would be the procedure to get to the next port if the passengers don't have passports?  I thought they wouldn't be sailing given that.  I don't think most cruises I have seen go to another US port as the first port, but I guess there are some.

1 minute ago, katiel53 said:

What would be the procedure to get to the next port if the passengers don't have passports?  I thought they wouldn't be sailing given that.  I don't think most cruises I have seen go to another US port as the first port, but I guess there are some.

Yet another good reason to have passports.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

Well, going to a different US port would likely violate the PVSA.

I think that passengers would be out of luck if they didn't have a passport.  I know the US consulate would issue an emergency passport for people wanting to go home, but I'd be surprised if going outbound to a different country would be considered an emergency.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Well, going to a different US port would likely violate the PVSA.

I think that passengers would be out of luck if they didn't have a passport.  I know the US consulate would issue an emergency passport for people wanting to go home, but I'd be surprised if going outbound to a different country would be considered an emergency.

I didn't think you needed a US passport to leave the US.  I thought it was only to reenter the US.

Edit: Actually, never mind.  After researching it, it turns out you do, although it's not always checked for.

Edited by time4u2go

So, the Harmony is now sailing the Western Caribbean this week due to the storm changing its itinerary. Is it feasible it might return to Tampa on Sunday instead of PC, with the 9/1 sailing leaving from there?  Just curious, and I know pure speculation at this point — but that would be an easier scenario for us than switching to FLL or Miami (considering we could still fly into MCO on Saturday).  [sigh]  This hurry up and wait is a little tough on the nerves. I’ve sailed during hurricane season before but never in September - always mid-October and later, and have been incredibly lucky. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

I didn't think you needed a US passport to leave the US.  I thought it was only to reenter the US.

The country to which you are flying would require a passport.

1 minute ago, patcacmt said:

So, the Harmony is now sailing the Western Caribbean this week due to the storm changing its itinerary. Is it feasible it might return to Tampa on Sunday instead of PC, with the 9/1 sailing leaving from there?  ...

No Royal ship larger than Radiance class can fit under the Sunshine Skyway bridge to enter Tampa Bay.

3 minutes ago, patcacmt said:

So, the Harmony is now sailing the Western Caribbean this week due to the storm changing its itinerary. Is it feasible it might return to Tampa on Sunday instead of PC, with the 9/1 sailing leaving from there?  Just curious, and I know pure speculation at this point — but that would be an easier scenario for us than switching to FLL or Miami (considering we could still fly into MCO on Saturday).  [sigh]  This hurry up and wait is a little tough on the nerves. I’ve sailed during hurricane season before but never in September - always mid-October and later, and have been incredibly lucky. 

No chance. Harmony cannot fit under the Sunshine Skyway

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

You could be right.  I don't know for sure either way.  I do have a passport so I wouldn't be concerned, but didn't know what the procedure would be if one didn't have one. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

You could be right.  I don't know for sure either way.  I do have a passport so I wouldn't be concerned, but didn't know what the procedure would be if one didn't have one. Thanks.

By the letter of the law: A “Closed Loop Cruise” as defined by United States Customs and Border Control is an ocean or river voyage that begins and ends at the same U.S. port.   So if you embark in Port Canaveral with a birth certificate and debark in Fort Lauderdale.....I guess it will all boil down to who your customs agent is and how bad a day he is having. 

Edited by rolloman

28 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

In the past, they have had a full refund option for those who don't want to sail and a different offer for those who are sailing a shortened itinerary.  They learned after having people go to Galveston when the port was closed for days.

I am sorry that it doesn't look good for this cruise you have waited a long time.  Hopefully, the 3pm update will give you an idea of your options.  Be safe!  

Im not sure its meant for me to be on an Oasis class ship 😞   Thank you so much!   You have always been so kind to me even through my rants and raves,  I appreciate that!    Unfortunately we wont know anything until 6pm at the earliest or 3pm tomorrow at the latest.  

• Like 1

We are on the Sep 1 Harmony cruise and waiting to see what happens. Just for reference, here is what they offered in 2017 for canceled and shortened cruises after Hurricane Irma. 

————————————-

Hurricane Irma Update | Sept 9, 2017 2pm

The following sailings are canceled:

NEW: Majesty of the Seas: September 15 Bahamas cruise

We are cancelling this cruise to utilize the ship for humanitarian efforts in areas of the Caribbean with urgent need.

For both the Empress sailing on 9/9 and the Majesty sailing on 9/15, the cruise fare and fees will be 100% refunded to the original form of payment, and we are also offering a 25% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare, if a new cruise is booked in the next 30 days. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call 1-800-256-6649.

Majesty of the Seas (CHARTER): September 11 Bahamas cruise

Thirty One Gifts has made the decision to cancel this sailing. If you have any questions, please contact Events@thirtyonegifts.com.

The following sailings are being modified:

Allure of the Seas: September 10 Western Caribbean cruise

The new departure date will be on Wednesday, 9/13 and we will sail a 4-night itinerary, with an overnight in Nassau, Bahamas. We will continue to watch the path of the storm, and if Nassau as a port of call is no longer an option, we will instead call on our private island of Labadee, Haiti, which has weathered the storm well.

We know this change is disappointing, and we are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 50% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, and an additional 50% future cruise credit.

Harmony of the Seas: September 9 Eastern Caribbean cruise

The new departure date will be on Tuesday, 9/12 and we will sail a 4-night itinerary to Cozumel, Mexico. We know this change is disappointing, and we are truly sorry. Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 50% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, and an additional 50% future cruise credit.

Oasis of the Seas: September 10 Eastern Caribbean cruise The departure date will be on Wednesday, 9/13 and we will sail a 4-night itinerary to Cozumel, Mexico. We know this change is disappointing, and we are truly sorry. Should you choose to sail with us, your refund will be 50% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, as well as an additional 50% future cruise credit.

Enchantment of the Seas: September 11 Bahamas cruise. The new departure date will be Tuesday, 9/12 and we will sail a 3-night itinerary to the Bahamas. Given the unpredictability of Irma, we will advise if there are any changes to the itinerary as soon as we know. We know this change is disappointing, and we are truly sorry. Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 25% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit.

Given the changes to these sailings, if you are unable to travel and need to cancel your cruise, we will provide you with a 100% future cruise credit. Pre-booked shore excursions will be refunded to your original form of payment, and you will have the ability to book excursions in our new ports of call once onboard.

9/9/2017 3:15pm

2 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

I'm heading to Bermuda out of Baltimore on Saturday...I'm logistically ignorant, but...I think I'm pretty clear and free.

Maybe for departure but the trip back may require a different course of action. 

2 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

Given the changes to these sailings, if you are unable to travel and need to cancel your cruise, we will provide you with a 100% future cruise credit.

Ugh! So no refund but only an FCC, which Im sure has to used within a year?   

10 minutes ago, tface023 said:

To make sure my understanding is clear - It is possible that the 9/1 cruise could have a later departure date, and since I booked my airfare through Air2Sea, Royal will help me reschedule, right?

Very possible and I am sure they will. Keep in mind at the moment this is a smaller storm (in terms of shear size) which, after this evening, will be of little impact elsewhere until it hits somewhere in the US. Unlike Irma which devastated multiple Cruise ports in one giant swath.  This fortunately leaves the brain trust at RCCL more wiggle room with their port strategy.

Edited by rolloman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ryano said:

Ugh! So no refund but only an FCC, which Im sure has to used within a year?   

Yes, that was if you decided to cancel after they offered a revised and shortened cruise. 

If if they cancel the entire cruise they will refund 100% via however you paid for the cruise.