Hurricane Dorian talk

3 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

Why? 😮

The forecast is unsure of what happens after it makes landfall in the US...some models have it looping back into the ocean. If this takes place....your return trip could be impacted. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ryano said:

Ugh! So no refund but only an FCC, which Im sure has to used within a year?   

My friend chose this and it had to be used in a year and they didn't let her use it toward the $500 deposit.  She had to take two cruises to use it all.

7 minutes ago, rolloman said:

The forecast is unsure of what happens after it makes landfall in the US...some models have it looping back into the ocean. If this takes place....your return trip could be impacted. 

😮😬

Thank you for the information.

I think RCCL is waiting to see if the track continues to move northward. As it stands right now Nassau is literally just outside/on the southern cone line. If  the track moves slightly north this may open up Nassau to remain as a port visit or in some cases become an alternate. FYI, for those of you who are not hurricane savvy like most of us Floridians, the official Hurricane updates come at 2, 5, 8 and 11 on your dial. 

NAVIGATOR 8/30/19, MARINER 8/30/19, HARMONY 9/1/19, HARMONY 8/25/19 & SYMPHONY 8/31/19

Currently, the two main weather models used for prediction (American & European) have the hurricane going different ways. So, we’re going to wait a bit more to evaluate the new data, which we’ll receive this afternoon. Then, we’ll confirm alternate ports and share your final itinerary changes with you by 3 PM on Thursday, August 29th, or sooner.

Edited by rolloman

8 minutes ago, VCR said:

My friend chose this and it had to be used in a year and they didn't let her use it toward the $500 deposit.  She had to take two cruises to use it all.

So, she had to put down another deposit in order to be able to use the FCC?  What a mess!  😂

Does anyone have any experience with hurricane affecting a 3 day cruise? Navigator is scheduled to leave Miami Friday 8/30.  They've already removed CocoCay port and are looking for alternative port?  Where else could a 3 day cruise go?  Cozumel?  Thanks all.  Just wondering if it will end up cancelled.

20 minutes ago, ryano said:

So, she had to put down another deposit in order to be able to use the FCC?  What a mess!  😂

Yes.  To add insult to injury, she booked another Sept. cruise and then decided to also go on an earlier  cruise.  They wouldn't let her use the rest of her FCC until after she'd gone on the Sept. cruise.  She had to book the next cruise while onboard the September cruise to make the booking within a year deadline.

52 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

I'm heading to Bermuda out of Baltimore on Saturday...I'm logistically ignorant, but...I think I'm pretty clear and free.

Actually TS Erin has been lurking around out there, but is not close unless something changes and should be long gone by Saturday :classic_smile:

Tropical Storm Erin is a “potential threat to Bermuda”, the Bermuda Weather Service said today, with its closest point of approach to Bermuda within 72 hrs forecast to be 378 nm to the WNW at 6pm today [Aug 28] with the BWS noting that “this system may move closer to Bermuda after this time period depending upon its track.”

http://bernews.com/2019/08/bws-tropical-storm-erin-potential-threat/

We have cruised in Sept and during active hurricanes but this is a first that we have to worry about the port being accessible...in the past it was just a change of itinerary. this is truly stressful as we still want a vacation but so many factors with air, hotel, cruise, transportation etc

8 minutes ago, minnie00 said:

We have cruised in Sept and during active hurricanes but this is a first that we have to worry about the port being accessible...in the past it was just a change of itinerary. this is truly stressful as we still want a vacation but so many factors with air, hotel, cruise, transportation etc

Agreed. A first for us as well, and the unknown is the hardest part. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Agreed. A first for us as well, and the unknown is the hardest part. 

yes it is...I would rather be on the ship and facing a little longer trip than a shortened one....the build up to vacation is so much its hard to not get disappointed

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Currently on Harmony and am starting to wonder if I will get a chance to pay for an extension of our current cruise, if things play out like Irma a few years ago. 

In the case of Irma on the Oasis in 2017 it was announced pretty early that the cruise was going to be extended.  We inquired about staying on for the following shortened cruise but there was no information for a couple of days.  If my memory is correct, they opened up the shortened sailing around Saturday.  Prices were very good but cabins were sold as guarantees as they were not sure who would make the next sailing.

We were on a budget so we chose an inside.  We kinda hoped they would upgrade us as we are Pinnacle.  They assigned us to the smallest inside cabin on the ship - ha ha.

In hindsight, we should have splurged for a Crown Loft.

Lou

Edited by loudbmw

40 minutes ago, kapeavey said:

Does anyone have any experience with hurricane affecting a 3 day cruise? Navigator is scheduled to leave Miami Friday 8/30.  They've already removed CocoCay port and are looking for alternative port?  Where else could a 3 day cruise go?  Cozumel?  Thanks all.  Just wondering if it will end up cancelled.

Tough call....you may be able to go to Nassau on the 31st for a short time.... now that Cuba is out...everywhere else (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Labadee is just not feasible to roundtrip in that timeframe.

3 minutes ago, auburn77 said:

We're on the Allure now. Don't know what will happen. Glad we're retired and have travel insurance. I don't think we'll be returning to Fort Lauderdale Sunday morning.

Why? As of 5pm local time...it would take a major track change to have FLL adversely effected. Port Canaveral is lined up in the storms sites at the moment to hit Monday at 2pm. With the small width of this storm, it should be sunny and blue skies in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday.

Edited by rolloman

We board Symphony on Sept 7th, so we're paying attention. We wish for all of you a conclusion that's in your favor. After living through the aftermath in Houston's Harvey, more than all else, we wish y'all safe traveling to & from the ports. Hurricanes are not to be taken lightly. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, minnie00 said:

yes it is...I would rather be on the ship and facing a little longer trip than a shortened one....the build up to vacation is so much its hard to not get disappointed

We were on the shortened one on the Oasis 2 years ago and it was great.  It was 4 days instead of 7 and got 50% refund and 50% refundable OBC so a free cruise.  PLUS there was only 2700 put of 6000+ onboard.  Best Oasis class cruise ever!!!

Plus we only live an hour from PC

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, molly361 said:

We were on the shortened one on the Oasis 2 years ago and it was great.  It was 4 days instead of 7 and got 50% refund and 50% refundable OBC so a free cruise.  PLUS there was only 2700 put of 6000+ onboard.  Best Oasis class cruise ever!!!

Plus we only live an hour from PC

That sounds pretty nice

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, loudbmw said:

In the case of Irma on the Oasis in 2017 it was announced pretty early that the cruise was going to be extended.  We inquired about staying on for the following shortened cruise but there was no information for a couple of days.  If my memory is correct, they opened up the shortened sailing around Saturday.  Prices were very good but cabins were sold as guarantees as they were not sure who would make the next sailing.

We were on a budget so we chose an inside.  We kinda hoped they would upgrade us as we are Pinnacle.  They assigned us to the smallest inside cabin on the ship - ha ha.

In hindsight, we should have splurged for a Crown Loft.

Lou

Question - did they give you an option to cancel if you didn’t want to go on the extended cruise?

2 minutes ago, CharismaticWoman said:

Question - did they give you an option to cancel if you didn’t want to go on the extended cruise?

We had about 300 people leave the Oasis early when it was announced the cruise would be extended for Irma. They either had work commitments or wanted to prepare their Florida homes for the storm.  

They had to pay their own way home, not sure if they got refunded anything for leaving early.

On 8/27/2019 at 4:23 PM, tface023 said:

Hey all!  Long time cruiser, first time poster.  I'm supposed to be sailing out of Port Canaveral on Sunday, right in the teeth of the hurricane.  I've never been on a cruise impacted by weather.  I booked my incoming flight same day through Air2Sea, but I definitely expect there will be delays.  What will likely happen if my flight can't get in on time, or the ship can't dock on time?

Keep you eyes on the news. We live just south of Orlando and the news currently is showing the storm coming as early as Sunday. I’m sure you will hear from Royal as to the status of the flight and cruise. Good luck.

1 minute ago, loudbmw said:

We had about 300 people leave the Oasis early when it was announced the cruise would be extended for Irma. They either had work commitments or wanted to prepare their Florida homes for the storm.  

They had to pay their own way home, not sure if they got refunded anything for leaving early.

Ok gotcha. I’m wondering about for cruises that haven’t left but might have to be extended. If they know in advance can we cancel.