Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

“The party’s over, turn out the lights, turn out the lights”....

Jim, you passing by San Clemente on your way home?  Stop in and have one for the road (well, one coffee anyway...).

Hi Raggy

No SC. From San Pedro East and north to I-10 then eastbound and down.😎 Thanks for the invite but heading for rehab.🍸

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, just pulled into the W&A parking lot. Wearing my best Hog Penny Pub t shirt. See y’all soon 

Great to finally meet Jim & Lois at the WC handover ceremony. Posted the photo on our Roll Call.

• Like 2

Sorry to see you go, Jim, though I know you’ll pop back in from time to time.  I’m really interested to see if Andy and Judi take to Viking Ocean like some of the rest of us.  Mostly, after reading through his blog on their last WC on that other line, I’m hoping the temperature of the porridge will meet his approval! 🤓

2 hours ago, Geosez said:

Sorry to see you go, Jim, though I know you’ll pop back in from time to time.  I’m really interested to see if Andy and Judi take to Viking Ocean like some of the rest of us.  Mostly, after reading through his blog on their last WC on that other line, I’m hoping the temperature of the porridge will meet his approval! 🤓

Everyone just continue to travel safely, and totally have a blast-Jeannette😌

Jim...I will miss your thoughtful reports and insights.  I think as first Viking WC ers we were very lucky in all things we discovered but maybe most importantly the same bridge officers and Heather for the entire cruise and same passengers once we joined in LA!  It will be 120 days that are certainly a highlight reel in our lives!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NY Nick said:

From another point of view.

Cheers

Dave & Linda

320D5228-6E33-4663-9B55-6403DBA2A7F8.jpeg

Who are those World Travelers?  Glad you all got to meet each other - would be great for us vicarious avid readers of the great posts to put faces to the names a Cruise Critic Handles.

Safe travels to everyone and thanks, especially to Jim, for all the wonderful posts that made us armchair people live the trip with you.

I'm writing this at sea on the Jupiter traveling from the Valparaiso+Falklands/Puerto Madryn and arriving in Montevideo tomorrow.   Looking more forward to this Uruguay city given Jim's great visit there!

Hope that one of you carries on the posts for the 2nd half of the trip!

58 minutes ago, deec said:

Jim...I will miss your thoughtful reports and insights.  I think as first Viking WC ers we were very lucky in all things we discovered but maybe most importantly the same bridge officers and Heather for the entire cruise and same passengers once we joined in LA!  It will be 120 days that are certainly a highlight reel in our lives!

I totally agree with you, deec. We were on the first WC and first segment of the Jan 2019 WC.  The first WC was so memorable for us.  The first segment in 2019 had a lot of the same officers, including Sujith and Heather, which was very special.  We're signed up for the WC departing Miami Dec. 2020.  Hoping the segments and staff turnover are not too disruptive. 

I hope those of you on the second half of this WC will continue to post your experiences!  Thanks, Jim, and the rest of you for your interesting posts thus far! 

4 hours ago, bgtraveler2 said:

I totally agree with you, deec. We were on the first WC and first segment of the Jan 2019 WC.  The first WC was so memorable for us.  The first segment in 2019 had a lot of the same officers, including Sujith and Heather, which was very special.  We're signed up for the WC departing Miami Dec. 2020.  Hoping the segments and staff turnover are not too disruptive. 

I hope those of you on the second half of this WC will continue to post your experiences!  Thanks, Jim, and the rest of you for your interesting posts thus far! 

Jim, thanks for keeping us up-to-date on The Sun. 
The  baton has been passed.  
I will continue to follow the others, (Some of which we may have met at the M&M between NYC & Bermuda).

Our next VO isn’t for 4  months...can’t wait!—Jukebo1x- (Jeannette😌)

The 2nd half is underway, with us departing San Pedro an hour late about 19:00. Brilliant first day.

With a Princess mega ship also in port, our small group of Viking pax gathered in a group in the hotel lobby, surrounded on all sides by Princess pax. Our Viking transfer arrived on time and we were delivered to the World Cruise Centre berth # 93 by high Noon.

Easiest embarkation we have ever experienced - no waits anywhere. Within 20 minutes of  disembarking the mini-bus, we were aboard. All staff very pleasant and with big smiles. Headed up to World Cafe to sit, relax and have lunch while waiting for the cabins to be released. Excellent lunch. Cabin announcement came about 13:20, so all cabins were ready early.

Luggage arrived over a couple of hours, so all unpacked before Board of Trade Sports at 17:15. Headed up to explorers for a beverage and to watch the departure, but being delayed we headed to dinner at 19:00. Shared a table with a great couple from Illinois, most enjoyable conversation, meal & service.

Excellent first impression, so hoping Viking maintain this standard for the next 118 days. 

• Like 5

I hope Heidi13 and others will continue AND take up the primary mantle from Jim Avery keep this threat alive.

We had friends Norma and Gary Hirsh, from San Diego, get on today in LA. They are first-time Viking Ocean cruisers and will be going all the way through to London. They live in our condo complex in La Jolla. We were so enthused about our experiences on Viking's Inaugural World Cruise in 2018, that they decided join you on the second half of this WC adventure. However, they are not members of Cruise Critic. Maybe someone could invite them to a CC Meet & Greet and they might see why they should join.

Bon Voyage!

Bon Voyage to the new World Cruisers and our pals continuing on.  We picked up a hire car on the third when going to meet Andy, Judi, and the other WC pax at the Whale & Ale.  On embarkation day we left our cabin at 0715 and by 0730 had the car packed and were on our way.  Arrived home in AZ at 1330, about the time we would have been flying from LAX.  Instead a beautiful drive across the desert.  It is good to be home but we truly miss the staff we spent so much time with.  Especially Eriona the best bartender ever.  All the best to Viking Voyagers all the way to London.😎

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Bon Voyage to the new World Cruisers and our pals continuing on.  We picked up a hire car on the third when going to meet Andy, Judi, and the other WC pax at the Whale & Ale.  On embarkation day we left our cabin at 0715 and by 0730 had the car packed and were on our way.  Arrived home in AZ at 1330, about the time we would have been flying from LAX.  Instead a beautiful drive across the desert.  It is good to be home but we truly miss the staff we spent so much time with.  Especially Eriona the best bartender ever.  All the best to Viking Voyagers all the way to London.😎

So glad you are now home. Sounds like it was a nice trip back. 
Savor that warm AZ weather, and as they say”happy trails to you, till we meet again”😌-Jeannette

9 hours ago, larry1365 said:

I hope Heidi13 and others will continue AND take up the primary mantle from Jim Avery keep this threat alive.

We had friends Norma and Gary Hirsh, from San Diego, get on today in LA. They are first-time Viking Ocean cruisers and will be going all the way through to London. They live in our condo complex in La Jolla. We were so enthused about our experiences on Viking's Inaugural World Cruise in 2018, that they decided join you on the second half of this WC adventure. However, they are not members of Cruise Critic. Maybe someone could invite them to a CC Meet & Greet and they might see why they should join.

Bon Voyage!

If you are in contact with your friends, ask them to just sign up for the Meet & Mingle. It’s really not difficult😌

While planning our 2nd World Cruise, we researched the 2018 WC thread extensively and were especially impressed that Viking almost filled the ship from L/A to London. After our previous WC, this was a key point for us. Since the subsequent Viking WC's have all included segments, we are very interested in seeing how Viking manage the competing interests of those looking for a WC experience and others on shorter voyages.

Pre-cruise was brilliant, with us receiving exceptional service from the great folks at the World Cruise Desk and the additional benefits provided in the base fare. However, I am very interested  to see how the ship plans to recognise the different voyages being completed by WC'ers & those taking 1 or more segments.

While the ship and crew are exceptional, unfortunately we find the initial focus is purely on segment 1 from L/A to Sydney. Around the ship, I only saw 1 reference to Viking World Cruise and that was on the pool deck screen. The front page of the Viking daily published us embarking on a voyage from only L/A to Sydney. In addition, they provided an additional sheet for the itinerary, which again was only L/A to Sydney.

Since we have signed up for a voyage from L/A to London, for us this is a huge omission from the onboard team. Since the itinerary was an insert, surely with a little effort, they could have provided the correct itinerary to each cabin - either World Wonders or segment.

As per my previous post, the cruise has started exceptionally well, but based on our previous WC experience with another Line, this is an area we are watching closely and while day 1 was otherwise exceptional, for this area on day 1, Viking gets a failing grade.

Will be watching with interest and would be interested in hearing some feedback from those who are completing the entire 245-days. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

As per my previous post, the cruise has started exceptionally well, but based on our previous WC experience with another Line, this is an area we are watching closely and while day 1 was otherwise exceptional, for this area on day 1, Viking gets a failing grade.

Will be watching with interest and would be interested in hearing some feedback from those who are completing the entire 245-days. 

Good morning Andy.  Here’s my .02 worth. From arriving, to this morning, we find everything exceptional.  You have to remember, this cruise is just not for us. As far as just showing the LA/Sydney segment in the Viking Daily, well, that’s what’s next. No need for sensory overload for the next 119 days.  Can you imagine trying to select all your tours, dinner reservations, flights, hotels and transportation for this cruise all in one day.?.  Let’s sum it up in two words... Vacation baby, 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NY Nick said:

Good morning Andy.  Here’s my .02 worth. From arriving, to this morning, we find everything exceptional.  You have to remember, this cruise is just not for us. As far as just showing the LA/Sydney segment in the Viking Daily, well, that’s what’s next. No need for sensory overload for the next 119 days.  Can you imagine trying to select all your tours, dinner reservations, flights, hotels and transportation for this cruise all in one day.?.  Let’s sum it up in two words... Vacation baby, 

If one thing you're referring to is the list/schedule of excursions and the excursion tickets you got in your stateroom, you get only one segment at a time. That was the same practice as the inaugural WC when we were all on for the whole thing. Enjoy!!

2 hours ago, NY Nick said:

Well put.  The WCers aren't the only passengers on the ship.

My wife and I cruised on the second segment of the  London/L.A. WC.  During our 14 days onboard, we enjoyed meeting segmenters and WCers alike.  I never got the sense that these groups had "competing interests."  Perhaps I missed something.

Edited by DaveSJ711

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Talked with Andy in the Atrium, seems the problem is that some who booked the 245 may have decided to wait to book some tours while on board for they are on for so long. Unfortunately they are unable to do so for segments past the one we are currently on. Yeah, that would not be fun. 

14 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The 2nd half is underway, with us departing San Pedro an hour late about 19:00. Brilliant first day.

With a Princess mega ship also in port, our small group of Viking pax gathered in a group in the hotel lobby, surrounded on all sides by Princess pax. Our Viking transfer arrived on time and we were delivered to the World Cruise Centre berth # 93 by high Noon.

Easiest embarkation we have ever experienced - no waits anywhere. Within 20 minutes of  disembarking the mini-bus, we were aboard. All staff very pleasant and with big smiles. Headed up to World Cafe to sit, relax and have lunch while waiting for the cabins to be released. Excellent lunch. Cabin announcement came about 13:20, so all cabins were ready early.

Luggage arrived over a couple of hours, so all unpacked before Board of Trade Sports at 17:15. Headed up to explorers for a beverage and to watch the departure, but being delayed we headed to dinner at 19:00. Shared a table with a great couple from Illinois, most enjoyable conversation, meal & service.

Excellent first impression, so hoping Viking maintain this standard for the next 118 days. 

Heidi13, terrific narrative of your first day. Thanks for sharing.
BTW, was that couple a woman & her son?  

On one of our Viking excursions (when The Sun was in St. Kitts), We met a lovely woman and her son, from IL. Just wondering -Jeannette😌

Edited by Jukebo1x
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, NY Nick said:

Talked with Andy in the Atrium, seems the problem is that some who booked the 245 may have decided to wait to book some tours while on board for they are on for so long. Unfortunately they are unable to do so for segments past the one we are currently on. Yeah, that would not be fun. 

I do get Andy’s concern. The good news is that many times VO will make available additional time slots for optional excursions AND included ones. They did that for Toppers Rhum Distillery, on the West Indies segment. 
Talk with Guest Services. They are easy to work with-Jukebo1x😌

Edited by Jukebo1x
Spelling

As to looking beyond the info you have for your segment (same on the tv) I went to Explorers Desk when first onboard and asked for them to print a copy of all I had booked so far.  Also can book in advance of the segment through them.  At least that's the way it worked in August.  Things constantly change but the best advice I can give for anything, including food choices, is just ask.  Once I have explained what I needed, so far, I was never told "no".  Hope it works for y'all as well.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jukebo1x said:

Heidi13, terrific narrative of your first day. Thanks for sharing.
BTW, was that couple a woman & her son?  

On one of our Viking excursions (when The Sun was in St. Kitts), We met a lovely woman and her son, from IL. Just wondering -Jeannette😌

Negative Jeannette, they were husband & wife and both were veterinarians.

20 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Well put.  The WCers aren't the only passengers on the ship.

My wife and I cruised on the second segment of the  London/L.A. WC.  During our 14 days onboard, we enjoyed meeting segmenters and WCers alike.  I never got the sense that these groups had "competing interests."  Perhaps I missed something.

You are correct, as 1/2 World Cruisers, we aren't the only group on board.

However, when they provide an insert upon boarding showing your itinerary, I expect it to be applicable to the voyage we booked. I would have thought the 245-Day Ultimate WC'ers would have received one for the entire voyage, upon boarding and we received one for L/A to London.

I would also expect to view tours we have booked and what other options are available throughout our entire cruise, not just the first segment.