Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

On 1/13/2020 at 10:45 AM, Jim Avery said:

So Happy Campers, how is Polynesia after all those sea days???🍸

Hi Jim,

Nuku Hiva is very early in the development of a tourism industry and the required infrastructure. The included tour was a self-guided walk around the bay. No guide provided and the maps wasn't overly helpful. Regardless, I enjoyed the couple of hours wandering around the bay, snapping a few photos.

Tahiti - AM we did the 4x4 excursion. We have been around the island a couple of times, so wanted to try the rain forest. Brilliant tour, everything I expected. Including the drive, we have lots of stops for photo ops and even got an opportunity to walk about 1 mile along the road.

The PM included excursion - not so good. Our guide was mid 60's and was on her 4th walking tour of the day. The tour was posted as 2 hrs, but we were back after 1 hr 20 mins. The port area has lots of interesting places to visit, but this was a very, very brief overview.

Bora Bora tomorrow. I have been a few  times and Judi did the entire island back in 2015. We are just taking the included cruise and then a stroll around the tender dock area.

Too bad about Nuku Hiva.  Did you at least get to see the cathedral?  It is quite special.

I would say, rather, that tourism on this island is minimal, and will remain so, as opposed to being early in its development.  We were there 10 years ago and it was probably much the same, as were the other Marquesas islands that we visited. I suspect they will always remain remote.  On Nuku Hiva, we did the Taipivai trip and it was amazing.  This was the island that Melville wrote about in  his somewhat fanciful, somewhat factual novel, Typee.

Oh dear, such tragic news:  Bloody Mary's is closed for renovations and will not reopen until Jan. 20.  BUT the included tour via boat was spectacular.  Sting rays galore and even a short torrential downpour could not detract.  Best included tour ever.

• Like 2

Oh, indeed , the included tour was one of our favorites on last year’s WC.  We took this picture of our guide and Lili, a pregnant ray.  She had no fear of him! When we sit here watching the snow fall, we ask each other where we would most like to be.  Bora Bora is always right at the top!

EEDFDF87-C98A-4174-96D3-B319114561BB.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 5:19 AM, Jim Avery said:

Sounds great.  I know Polynesia was one of our many favorite stops on this route.  Bora Bora and I left a tab for you at Bloody Mary's Bar.  🍺

Thanks Jim - bills enroute. Hic!!!😁

Captain's Noon announcement advises that we are skipping the Cook Islands due to bad weather. Therefore, we are steaming directly to Tonga, where we will arrive a day earlier for an overnight stop.

This was one of the ports I anticipated missing, so no great surprise. However, as it is often missed, it is one of the few ports I have not visited before.

We are also taking a more northerly route, missing a depression south of us. Captain even sent a couple of chartlets showing isobars and wind arrows, with the notification, showing his 2 options. Using the northerly option he predicts winds of 20 kts with 6-8' seas, while the southerly option would be 45 kts winds and 15-18' seas.

A very prudent mariner. Viking handling the situation perfectly.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Captain's Noon announcement advises that we are skipping the Cook Islands due to bad weather. Therefore, we are steaming directly to Tonga, where we will arrive a day earlier for an overnight stop.

This was one of the ports I anticipated missing, so no great surprise. However, as it is often missed, it is one of the few ports I have not visited before.

We are also taking a more northerly route, missing a depression south of us. Captain even sent a couple of chartlets showing isobars and wind arrows, with the notification, showing his 2 options. Using the northerly option he predicts winds of 20 kts with 6-8' seas, while the southerly option would be 45 kts winds and 15-18' seas.

A very prudent mariner. Viking handling the situation perfectly.

Smart, since they want to keep everyone safe. 

20 hours ago, Jukebo1x said:

Smart, since they want to keep everyone safe. 

When a port has been passed due to weather issues I have always agreed with the Captain.  I monitor weather systems while onboard and can usually predict which ports will be passed.  All the Captains we have sailed with are really paying attention and doing a great job.

• Like 2

Now safely docked in Tonga for an overnight. Been a bumpy couple of days since departure Bora Bora, as we were sailing at the outer edges of a cyclone.

During daylight hours we experienced winds of 35-45 kts and Captain advised they recorded gusts of 60 - 70 kts. Based on the forecasts, it was significantly worse further South. Great decision from the "Old Man" to select his course of action.

Viking did a great job today arranging a fleet of shuttle buses to a local resort and hiring a local company to perform aboard. Due to rehersal for the evening show, this was held on the pool deck. OMG, it was hot in the direct sun. Like most islanders, they were fashionably late arriving on-board, getting to the gangway at showtime. Bevan apologised for the delay and broke out the bubbly.

He also asked if they could do anything else, to which Judi suggest some cold cloths would help. Off he went and within 10 minutes they were being distributed. This ship is amazing, nothing is too much trouble.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Now safely docked in Tonga for an overnight. Been a bumpy couple of days since departure Bora Bora, as we were sailing at the outer edges of a cyclone.

During daylight hours we experienced winds of 35-45 kts and Captain advised they recorded gusts of 60 - 70 kts. Based on the forecasts, it was significantly worse further South. Great decision from the "Old Man" to select his course of action.

Viking did a great job today arranging a fleet of shuttle buses to a local resort and hiring a local company to perform aboard. Due to rehersal for the evening show, this was held on the pool deck. OMG, it was hot in the direct sun. Like most islanders, they were fashionably late arriving on-board, getting to the gangway at showtime. Bevan apologised for the delay and broke out the bubbly.

He also asked if they could do anything else, to which Judi suggest some cold cloths would help. Off he went and within 10 minutes they were being distributed. This ship is amazing, nothing is too much trouble

As usual, Viking delivers to its passengers, the world in comfort. 
Sending hopes for smoother seas-Jeannette😌

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dritan said:

Usually just a browser but follow this thread.  Just had a giggle today as the still from this video makes it look like the ship has fun multi coloured funnels 😉

Haha, that is Vikings newly installed water slide......🍸

• Haha 1

For those onboard, I am wondering if any mention has been made about the new Coronavirus spreading through Asia.  I know Viking would be closely watching developments.  I remember traveling during the SARS outbreak a number of years ago.  This seems a similar situation.  Keep us posted Andy.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

For those onboard, I am wondering if any mention has been made about the new Coronavirus spreading through Asia.  I know Viking would be closely watching developments.  I remember traveling during the SARS outbreak a number of years ago.  This seems a similar situation.  Keep us posted Andy.

When SARS hit, one of the hospitals affected was only 25 miles away from me.  It was well contained and life went on a usual.  Let’s hope the same thing happens in China.  I certainly hope no ports have to be missed.  I also know that Viking will do their best to protect everyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I live in Toronto, and it was the North American SARS epicentre, as most would know.  We were going on a cruise on the Paul Gauguin that April, and we were afraid the whole city would be quarantined.  It wasn't, but all the airports we passed through were full of people wearing masks, and we got screened particularly carefully all along our route.  Once safely on the ship, all the Canadians, regardless of their home cities, had to report to the doctor to have their temperatures taken.  Kind of useless, but...

That was a terrible time, let's hope this is not happening again.  Sounds like it's already burst the bounds of China, and has been reported in places like Singapore and Japan, as well as the U.S.

We are boarding in Sydney and departing in Hong Kong. We haven't heard anything from Viking yet about the China segment.

Pretty scary. As of today 1,400 confirmed and 41 deaths in China. 4 new cases in Australia, several in France, and two confirmed in the US. We are mostly worried about flying out of Hong Kong. I ordered hand wipes and masks yesterday.

Edited by Insanityx4

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Sounds like it's already burst the bounds of China, and has been reported in places like Singapore and Japan, as well as the U.S.

And Europe - French TV report a little while ago said they are treating their first case.

Let's hope things get under control quickly. It does sound like all the government, and especially the Chinese, are doing everything they can.

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

This has me wondering as well. I started a thread relative to this on the Viking Ocean forum. Can't imagine already being in Wuhan, for instance, and being detained for an indefinite length of time! 

While thinking it was not necessary and quite expensive to have a China Visa since Xiamen and Hong Kong are the only ports we are visiting on our leg of the trip, and both are Visa free, my nephew who works for a Visa providing company, explained the Visa is required by Viking, not the Chinese government, for the very reason that if we were to get stuck there for any type of emergency without a long term Visa we were pretty much up a creek without a paddle, so to speak. Viking feels it is better to take precautions and be covered. This way well before the Coronavirus outbreak.

Edited by Insanityx4

On 1/26/2020 at 4:01 AM, Jim Avery said:

Hi Jim - we are monitoring the news, but so far nothing has been mentioned aboard

Arriving in Bay of Islands NZ this morning, so we have completed our jaunt across the Pacific. Due to the Cat 3 cyclone, it has been a fairly rough sea days, with a short swell.

Suva was only a brief stay of 07:00 to 14:00. We did the Navua River tour, which was brilliant. Hurtling up the river and rapids at high speed on a longboat. We were thoroughly soaked to the skin, but still enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately, some others didn't appreciate getting damp.

Bean bag tossing - bragging rights remain with the passengers, as the officers choked on the last sea day. Rumour has it that some officers may have been bribed to throw the match. A few pax returned to their cabin to find bed frames missing. All good fun!!!

Jim - guess they didn't listen about stocking up on hopped beverages. We drank the ship dry of IPA last week and then last night they ran out of Porter. OMG - at this rate they will only have that horrible yellow stuff left.