Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Puerto Montt just cancelled.  A tender port, the wind and swells made tendering a bit dangerous.  The Captain made the right call even if we did have to get up early.  Rain forecasted too so there you go.  

So if not Puerto Montt, where are you  going instead?  Or are you just cruising slowly to Valparaíso?  I think you already have several days there...

42 minutes ago, Jukebo1x said:

Just stunning!  Once again, I salute the crew of The Sun.

thanks for these photos!-Jeannette😌

42 minutes ago, Jukebo1x said:

Just stunning!  Once again, I salute the crew of The Sun.

thanks for these photos!-Jeannette😌

Absolutely gorgeous!  How much weight has everyone gained?

Bonnie

30 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

No alternative port mentioned yet. Valparaiso is a segment change port as well as a large crew change port. Steaming slowly.

Tracking had The Sun sail into Puerto Montt and then turn around and sailed out.  Saw the Zaandam anchored there.  I wondered why the Sun left.  Saw news that major protests were called in all Chilean cities including Puerto Montt for December 6.  Wondered if that was why.  Wind and seas?  Huh, i thought PM was pretty protected.  Guess not.

On WC 2019 the conversion of the pool deck to buffet started the night before with the moving all the chairs and loungers to deck 8.  The kitchen and wait staff placed all the tables early in the morning and loaded them with wonderful food after the breakfast rush subsided.  Even the special event meals on the aft pool deck took an extraordinary amount of logistical planning for food displays, cooking stations, et al.  I'm sure they have a checklist, but that doesn't mitigate the effort and planning required for perfect execution.  

6 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Tracking had The Sun sail into Puerto Montt and then turn around and sailed out.  Saw the Zaandam anchored there.  I wondered why the Sun left.  Saw news that major protests were called in all Chilean cities including Puerto Montt for December 6.  Wondered if that was why.  Wind and seas?  Huh, i thought PM was pretty protected.  Guess not.

Tayana - I thought Jim had said there were winds and high seas in Puerto Montt, so perhaps the protests planned are a coincidence.  I hope so.  I'm hoping we'll find something out.   It will also be enlightening to hear from the Sun folks how Valparaiso is - with protests, potential blockages of streets, and more at the port - when they arrive in a few days.  That will give those of us on future cruises an idea perhaps of what to expect - although it certainly seems that we need to expect the unexpected in Chile.

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Tayana - I thought Jim had said there were winds and high seas in Puerto Montt, so perhaps the protests planned are a coincidence.  I hope so.  I'm hoping we'll find something out.   It will also be enlightening to hear from the Sun folks how Valparaiso is - with protests, potential blockages of streets, and more at the port - when they arrive in a few days.  That will give those of us on future cruises an idea perhaps of what to expect - although it certainly seems that we need to expect the unexpected in Chile.

CCWine yes you are right.  Jim said missed port was due to wind and seas.  Saw wind prediction was 10-20mph which is no big deal.  However direction was from the South which means it was blowing right into the port.  Probably quite a chop had built up.  Protests today were called for but don't know if they happened.  I too am still curious for live reports.

I gained 11 pounds on a 2 week cruise plus a couple days in England at the end.  They put on a brunch like that on Viking Jupiter.  Another couple we met on the cruise said that it was the best brunch out of 28 prior cruises they did!

Jim

• Like 1

Will be following your arrival into Valparaiso tomorrow.  Looks like beautiful sunny afternoon on the seas today.

Let us know how the situation is at the port and for anyone who might be touring Valpo or Santiago.

Safe adventures to everyone!  They are both beautiful cities that are having some difficult times right now.

We arrive in 6 days to Santiago, so any tips would be most welcome!

12 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

She is a sweetheart.  French boyfriend, now fiancé, not a crew member as far as I know.  Good for Vicki!

Jim - what time are you planning to be at the Whale & Ale on Jan 3rd. I thinking about strolling over from the hotel in time for lunch. 🍺

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - what time are you planning to be at the Whale & Ale on Jan 3rd. I thinking about strolling over from the hotel in time for lunch. 🍺

Around Noonish.  Have to pick up a rental car about 1.5 blocks away as we are driving home the next day.  Noon work?🍻

7 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Around Noonish.  Have to pick up a rental car about 1.5 blocks away as we are driving home the next day.  Noon work?🍻

8-Bells at the W&A. I'll be the one with the darkest ale on tap, warming it up to cellar temp. 😀🍺

Just checked the camera and looks like another nice port day in Valparaiso.

Edited by Heidi13

Hello ... we are excited to be joining the world cruise in Mumbai for the last leg. I think Viking did this leg a year or so ago. Anyone reading have any info or hints to share? Or can you point me to another message board?  Haven’t been able to find it.

Many thanks for all these posts. Lovely to see all that we will find onboard. 

Regards,

Kathryn Hamilton