The Eye of the Storm

Hi folks...not an Aussie cruise but Aussie cruising. That some might be interested. Have just left Port Canaveral on Carnival Elation on a Bahamas cruise. Have received a letter from Carnival saying it doesn't know what ports we can stop at and if, in fact, we'll be able to return to this Port...due to Hurricane Dorian heading towards Florida. The Captain has decided to just plough on and see what happens. Should be some nice Rocky-rolly to put us to sleep. There appears to be a lot of first time cruisers aboard...who aren't as comfortable with the situation as us. An interesting few days ahead.

• Like 1

Thanks. We have no concerns about our safety at all. The Carnival Operations Centre is all over this. The only problem is that Florida will be getting wiped out as we arrive....and we have flights to catch and another cruise to get to. In discussions with Insurance Company on best plan of action. We may have to leave the cruise at Nassau and fly back to Florida and get flights out...before the real action starts. Boy am I glad I opted for the Natural Disasters add-on to the insurance policy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vozzie said:

Thanks. We have no concerns about our safety at all. The Carnival Operations Centre is all over this. The only problem is that Florida will be getting wiped out as we arrive....and we have flights to catch and another cruise to get to. In discussions with Insurance Company on best plan of action. We may have to leave the cruise at Nassau and fly back to Florida and get flights out...before the real action starts. Boy am I glad I opted for the Natural Disasters add-on to the insurance policy.

Sounds like a logistical hiccup at best.  Good luck with the re-planning and execution.   Also, thanks for the heads up about Natural Disasters add-on, just checked my annual policy and it's included.  Phew!

Crossed the ditch to NZ while Cyclone Debbie was battering the QLD coast.  First time in my life I've been sea-sick and actually threw up a couple of times.  Not a nice feeling but shared with most of the passengers, never seen so my sick bags strewn around a ship in my life before.  🤢

3 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Sounds like a logistical hiccup at best.  Good luck with the re-planning and execution.   Also, thanks for the heads up about Natural Disasters add-on, just checked my annual policy and it's included.  Phew!

Crossed the ditch to NZ while Cyclone Debbie was battering the QLD coast.  First time in my life I've been sea-sick and actually threw up a couple of times.  Not a nice feeling but shared with most of the passengers, never seen so my sick bags strewn around a ship in my life before.  🤢

The bags are quite usual......you start to worry when ropes go out in order to get from one side of a hallway to the other....😳

Heres a report fron Carnival on Elation...

Carnival Elation, which departed Port Canaveral August 29, called on Nassau as planned on August 30. The line will advise passengers at a later time whether Sunday's call on Freeport will take place or not. 

The September 2 departure of Carnival Elation will now operate as a two-day sailing, departing September 5 and returning September 7 visiting Nassau. Passengers who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare and any pre-purchased beverage and Wi-Fi packages. Those who wish to cancel will receive a future cruise credit for the full amount of their cruise fare.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The bags are quite usual......you start to worry when ropes go out in order to get from one side of a hallway to the other....😳

Oh crikey, don't take me there.....

An update....1 minute after the gangway was raised to leave Nassau, the captain announced that we would be diverting to Mexico and returning to Port Canaveral on Thursday...3 days late...as the port will be closing from Sunday.

He also advised that, first, they would make a 2 hour stop in Port Canaveral on Saturday to drop anyone off who can't stay on till Thursday. 

Unfortunately, all flights are either booked out or cancelled, so we can't get off as we would be stuck in a disaster zone.

We have made the decision to continue on to Cozumel and try and get a flight out of there. Waiting till Thursday, in the hope the port will be open again is problematic...as we have to be in Vancouver on Friday ....for Alaska cruise.

Now (5am) there is a passenger missing . 

Interesting times ahead.......

American weather dude on the radio was saying they are not as worried about the strength of the storm as it is expected to decline.

However, their modelling was that it would sit along the coast and very slowly move north. Rain, winds, erosion, etc.

Dont worry, it gets worse. Heading to Cozumel ...our last chance to fly out of the area. The ship internet is horrendous of course and the only flight out is via a single engine Cessna to Cancun, then via Mexico City to anywhere. Problem is, online ticketing require authentication via text code from bank. There ain't no mobile towers here. Now that our booking is in limbo because payment hasn't been made, we can't book through any other agencies....because we're already booked, but not paid. The nightmare continues.....