Formal nights?

Tn gal

To expand this just a tiny bit, they describe the 'dress code' as "country club casual" in the GDR and specialty restaurants.  So a nice pair of slacks (Dockers or better) and a (probably) nice collared shirt.  He's going to be even happier I'm betting 🙂

31 minutes ago, clo said:

To expand this just a tiny bit, they describe the 'dress code' as "country club casual" in the GDR and specialty restaurants.  So a nice pair of slacks (Dockers or better) and a (probably) nice collared shirt.  He's going to be even happier I'm betting 🙂

Exactly - no jacket or tie is ever required. Some men choose one or both on some occasions but neither one is required.

10 hours ago, Fam_Cruise said:

What's a formal night?

On lines such as Cunard formal nights require either a dark suit and tie or tuxedo for men, and evening gown or cocktail attire for women.  Cunard enforces it strictly.  Might be two formal nights on a trans Atlantic crossing, more on a longer cruise.  We had six on the QE from SFO to SYD (3 weeks).  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, don731 said:

On lines such as Cunard formal nights require either a dark suit and tie or tuxedo for men, and evening gown or cocktail attire for women.  Cunard enforces it strictly.  Might be two formal nights on a trans Atlantic crossing, more on a longer cruise.  We had six on the QE from SFO to SYD (3 weeks).  

Fam Cruise  should have put  a  😁 in their post

I do not think they were serious

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

What's a 😁?

LOL

Correct, my previous post was purely tongue and cheek. 

The last time I had a real formal night on a cruise, it wasn't called a formal night, it was called dressing for dinner and I was 10 and 13 in 1966 and 1969 respectively.  We dressed for dinner every evening.

Lines like Cunard have reduced their standards over the years as now they only require dinner attire on certain evenings.  I would think those who enjoy dressing in evening attire and reliving the era of Titanic, Queen Mary, and SS United States would relish the prospect of dressing for dinner every night.

Having done it many times in the past for a variety of occasions and venues, I personally am no longer interested, but others may be.  This is one reason why I gravitate to Oceania.  That, and not enough room in my carry-on for the extra clothes.  😀

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 5:15 PM, Tn gal said:

Are there “formal” nights on Oceania Cruises?  I am new to this cruise line.  Thanks in advance.

This is an obvious case of "research the cruise line" before booking! There is NO formal nights. This does NOT mean jeans & t shirts. Basically for men, a button down shirt & dress or khaki type pants. You will see a fair amount of sport coats & nice dresses in the specialty rest. Ties are not required but a few men will wear them. We don't, but often wear a sport coat when dining. Shorts & most jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms. This has been evident on our Riviera trips. The smaller ships might be different. Check YOUTUBE for Oceania videos for an idea of overall dress.

36 minutes ago, keithm said:

Shorts & most jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms. ... The smaller ships might be different.

To be more accurate - shorts and most jeans are not allowed in the MDR and specialties at night - they are perfectly OK in the MDR during the day and also at night in the Terrace Cafe.

The smaller ships have the same exact rules.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

To be more accurate - shorts and most jeans are not allowed in the MDR and specialties at night - they are perfectly OK in the MDR during the day and also at night in the Terrace Cafe.

Thanks! That's helpful info for someone new to Oceania.

I have cruised Cunard (QM2) and Oceania (Insignia).  

Very different cruise styles of course.

However, I enjoyed both.  On the QM2 I enjoyed wearing a Tuxedo on formal night and enjoyed not having to have even a jacket on Oceania Insignia.  Actually got away with a bathing suite at the Insignia buffet for dinner one night.  Don't yell, even asked the Maître D' before I chose a table

It is really a personal preference thing.  You should see the tirades on the Cunard board when long time cruisers think they are trying to dumb down the dress code.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:54 PM, Paulchili said:

Yes, that's correct. Only at night. I have to admit to not seeing shorts/jeans at night in the Terrace. Saw one kid a few years ago who seemed to wear the same jeans day in & day out. That's really been the only time. I'm sure it varies among the ships.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:13 PM, LB_NJ said:

I have cruised Cunard (QM2) and Oceania (Insignia).  

Very different cruise styles of course.

However, I enjoyed both.  On the QM2 I enjoyed wearing a Tuxedo on formal night and enjoyed not having to have even a jacket on Oceania Insignia.  Actually got away with a bathing suite at the Insignia buffet for dinner one night.  Don't yell, even asked the Maître D' before I chose a table

It is really a personal preference thing.  You should see the tirades on the Cunard board when long time cruisers think they are trying to dumb down the dress code.

Bathing suite? Must have weighed a lot. LOL! I presume your bathing suit was like a pair of shorts.

• Haha 1

For us -- and I know we aren't alone! -- if we are tired after a touring day and don't want to change into nicer clothes for dinner in the GDR or specialties, we will go to Terrace for dinner because this isn't a problem there.  And we get out faster!  We don't mind getting up to get various courses as some  do (hi Lyn) so that's fine for us.

If we don't even want to walk up to Terrace, and we're in a suite, we'll order in from one of the restaurants.  But we have to be REALLY tired to do that.  But it's nice to have that option ...

Mura

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, keithm said:

I have to admit to not seeing shorts/jeans at night in the Terrace. ... I'm sure it varies among the ships.

It does but it varies more with itineraries than ships per se.

On a tropical cruise - like Carib, Hawaii or FP - you are more likely to see shorts in the Terrace.

13 hours ago, keithm said:

Bathing suite? Must have weighed a lot. LOL! I presume your bathing suit was like a pair of shorts.

It was an August cruise to Bermuda and the suit did look a lot like a pair of shorts.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, LB_NJ said:

It was an August cruise to Bermuda and the suit did look a lot like a pair of shorts.

I've got a few of those type of suits. Nautica/Ralph Lauren/Hilfiger have some nice types. A little pricey, but I'll wear them as shorts, rather than swim in them.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:41 PM, Mura said:

For us -- and I know we aren't alone! -- if we are tired after a touring day and don't want to change into nicer clothes for dinner in the GDR or specialties, we will go to Terrace for dinner because this isn't a problem there.  And we get out faster!  We don't mind getting up to get various courses as some  do (hi Lyn) so that's fine for us.

If we don't even want to walk up to Terrace, and we're in a suite, we'll order in from one of the restaurants.  But we have to be REALLY tired to do that.  But it's nice to have that option ...

Mura

I certainly could not find fault in the Terrace Grill at night. One night when I had my fill of Dover Sole in the GD, I went up to the Terrace & had my second fill. Dover Sole is my absolute favorite fish.

• Like 1

Or you could just have ordered a second helping at the GDR ... or maybe just order two portions to begin with!  It does sound like you are inordinately fond of Dover Sole.  You should have seen the one a dinner companion ordered one night in Dover, England ... We couldn't figure out if 25 pounds represented the weight of the fish or the cost ...

Of course you get a different view in Terrace... I didn't mean of the fish!

LOL

Mura

Until this past March I hadn't worn a tux or dinner jacket on a cruise for years.  However, since he was 4 our 6 (soon to be 7) year old grandson has on his own always dressed for the occasion and has seemed to know when that occasion was. (school photos, special occasions, etc.)  At age 4 while shopping at a Walmart with his Mom he saw and insisted our daughter buy him his first "tuxedo".  His words not our daughter's and who knows where he got them?!?  A cheap pair of pants, shirt, vest, and clip on tie.  He knew exactly when and where he wanted to wear them....and it was occasion appropriate.  Since then he has gone through a couple of those "tuxes".  Last Christmas we went on line and bought him a "real" $40 dollar tux.  He insisted on taking it on our last cruise (in March).  I too had to wear mine.  He wore it 2 other times that cruise and thrived off all the complements received.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Until this past March I hadn't worn a tux or dinner jacket on a cruise for years.  However, since he was 4 our 6 (soon to be 7) year old grandson has on his own always dressed for the occasion and has seemed to know when that occasion was. (school photos, special occasions, etc.)  At age 4 while shopping at a Walmart with his Mom he saw and insisted our daughter buy him his first "tuxedo".  His words not our daughter's and who knows where he got them?!?  A cheap pair of pants, shirt, vest, and clip on tie.  He knew exactly when and where he wanted to wear them....and it was occasion appropriate.  Since then he has gone through a couple of those "tuxes".  Last Christmas we went on line and bought him a "real" $40 dollar tux.  He insisted on taking it on our last cruise (in March).  I too had to wear mine.  He wore it 2 other times that cruise and thrived off all the complements received.

Hi neighbor - my last time wearing a tux was on a Christmas cruise on the Oasis of the Seas in 2014.  I had a red bow tie for Christmas Eve!

There was a time when there was a standard for dress in the evening (after 6 or so) and it was nice.   My wife and daughter always enjoyed it more than I did.  But, the dress codes on the mainstream lines are being enforced less and less.  I asked one of the MDR managers on RCI not too long ago, if there really was a dress code any longer.  As he looked at the dinner table with guys wearing baseball caps at dinner, he said, "no."  They did, however, turn their caps around for formal night!

O seems to have the right idea for me - have one dress code for the entire cruise to which people actually adhere.  We used to have to pack casual evening wear, semi-formal stuff, and then formal wear even for a 7-night cruise.  I have to admit, that I would not want to go back to something like that!