Formal nights?

Tn gal

6 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Until this past March I hadn't worn a tux or dinner jacket on a cruise for years.  However, since he was 4 our 6 (soon to be 7) year old grandson has on his own always dressed for the occasion and has seemed to know when that occasion was. (school photos, special occasions, etc.)  At age 4 while shopping at a Walmart with his Mom he saw and insisted our daughter buy him his first "tuxedo".  His words not our daughter's and who knows where he got them?!?  A cheap pair of pants, shirt, vest, and clip on tie.  He knew exactly when and where he wanted to wear them....and it was occasion appropriate.  Since then he has gone through a couple of those "tuxes".  Last Christmas we went on line and bought him a "real" $40 dollar tux.  He insisted on taking it on our last cruise (in March).  I too had to wear mine.  He wore it 2 other times that cruise and thrived off all the complements received.

I love it!

Those memories he will have forever!

My daughter has wonderful memories of her grandmother still at age 42. 

This brought back great thoughts of my mother!

She always said “A great handbag  and a pair of fantastic shoes will always make your outfit complete” She was a designer and to this day our daughter believes in that and 

says she honors grandma daily!

Off subject but again I love it!

Denise😊

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ricka47 said:

Hi neighbor - my last time wearing a tux was on a Christmas cruise on the Oasis of the Seas in 2014.  I had a red bow tie for Christmas Eve!

There was a time when there was a standard for dress in the evening (after 6 or so) and it was nice.   My wife and daughter always enjoyed it more than I did.  But, the dress codes on the mainstream lines are being enforced less and less.  I asked one of the MDR managers on RCI not too long ago, if there really was a dress code any longer.  As he looked at the dinner table with guys wearing baseball caps at dinner, he said, "no."  They did, however, turn their caps around for formal night!

O seems to have the right idea for me - have one dress code for the entire cruise to which people actually adhere.  We used to have to pack casual evening wear, semi-formal stuff, and then formal wear even for a 7-night cruise.  I have to admit, that I would not want to go back to something like that!

Hi Neighbor,

Have taken several 10 and 15 day cruises with X when dress codes were still observed.  Your right, it was hassle.  Especially the 14 night SA cruise from BA to Santiago in February.  In addition to packing suits, tux, & dinner jacket, we had to pack for the entire range of temperatures.  While I'm glad not to have to pack like that now, two of my favorite memories are these photos taken in Aug 2012 and March 20191054320528_SpringBreak-March2019.thumb.JPG.4f1a4415a4152c6c367b76ea8ed2bb7c.JPG

Canal Cruise-Aug 2012.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Hi Neighbor,

Have taken several 10 and 15 day cruises with X when dress codes were still observed.  Your right, it was hassle.  Especially the 14 night SA cruise from BA to Santiago in February.  In addition to packing suits, tux, & dinner jacket, we had to pack for the entire range of temperatures.  While I'm glad not to have to pack like that now, two of my favorite memories are these photos taken in Aug 2012 and March 20191054320528_SpringBreak-March2019.thumb.JPG.4f1a4415a4152c6c367b76ea8ed2bb7c.JPG

Canal Cruise-Aug 2012.jpg

What great photos! Priceless

Denise 😊

Some our favorite pictures are the two of our in formal attire. The wife enjoys getting dressed up with all the glitter on occasion.

On our recent cruise I was wearing my sports jacket in the Polo Grill. On our way out, I stopped to say a word to a group we would be touring with later. One of the gents said “ Why are you so dressed up, we’re trying to get people to dress down for these restaurants!” He was barely cc casual.

A lot of different motivations and opinions when it comes to dress aboard ship. 

• Like 2

I agree, packing all that NO for me.  Plus the weight of your suit case now is important and those Tuxes/suits are heavy, the the shoes!  I'm retired now and I don't need those things in my life any more.  That said I still do believe dressing nicely is important to me to enjoy a nice night out, or a ship or in town.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:51 PM, LHT28 said:

It is nice that on Oceania  you can dress nicely or  in ballgowns/Tuxes  it you want 😎

Seen a few gowns, but only one night did I see a tux. Never saw any tuxes after that.

15 hours ago, keithm said:

Seen a few gowns, but only one night did I see a tux. Never saw any tuxes after that.

It was a gentleman in a tux on one of our cruises who was asked by one of his fellow cruisers if he could get them a drink thinking he was part of the staff. Probably why you didn’t see anyone in a tux.

So nice not to be worried about packing evening clothing...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, orchestrapal said:

It was a gentleman in a tux on one of our cruises who was asked by one of his fellow cruisers if he could get them a drink thinking he was part of the staff. Probably why you didn’t see anyone in a tux.

So nice not to be worried about packing evening clothing...

That's funny!  My tux has not been on a cruise for about five years and I cannot see it being put in a suitcase and on me anytime soon.

Formal or not my husband wears a linen jacket to dinner every night.   It is, in our opinion, a very casual jacket but he likes to wear it.  He does not wear a tie any more.  Quite a few gentlemen wore jackets to dinner we noticed.  A lightweight jacket does not take up much room in the suitcase.  Each to his own.   J

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

That's funny!  My tux has not been on a cruise for about five years and I cannot see it being put in a suitcase and on me anytime soon.

When our daughters got married each of their husbands wore suits even though it was an evening wedding.  So Bob couldn't very well outdress them.  I have no idea when he'll wear it again.  Maybe when we get cremated 🙂

6 hours ago, Jay23 said:

Formal or not my husband wears a linen jacket to dinner every night.   It is, in our opinion, a very casual jacket but he likes to wear it.   Each to his own.   J

The key words 

"he likes to wear it"

You have  a choicer on O

wear a jacket,  wear a suit, wear  a Tux, do not wear a jacket  ..no one cares 😎

12 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The key words 

"he likes to wear it"

You have  a choicer on O

wear a jacket,  wear a suit, wear  a Tux, do not wear a jacket  ..no one cares 😎

Yes.  That was exactly the point I was trying to make.  He was not the only gentleman wearing a jacket, but there were gentlemen who did not wear one.  J