Del Mar Latino Beach Club

Jasonmom

29 minutes ago, 1Texansgo said:

Hope to go in late January; any recent visitors who can post their thoughts and opinions?

I see you have been before so know what the place is like.

We have been several times now. Our latest visit was in June and are pleased to report it is still doing well. We were staying on the island and decided to take advantage of the promotional rate which was re-instated and is extremely good value.  

We went on a Sunday which was totally different from the cruise ship days. It appears they offer a weekend brunch on Saturday’s and Sunday’s. We had already purchased the day pass (which for Sundays was 1-5), after brunch supposedly and I think lunch guests are supposed to leave but I hadn’t realized it was Father’s day. It was very busy for brunch and people stayed on for the afternoon and included kids, normally adults-only. There was a band in the afternoon which was good. I was disappointed not to be able to use the pool much which as you know is very small and full of kids but realize business has been difficult and they need to attract guests when they can. I thought these people may have been staying in the hotel perhaps.

Sundays always have a different vibe on the island compared to cruise ship days as it is “local” time. However service, food and drinks were good despite it being crowded and we had our favorite lounger position - just a different vibe from our previous visits.

The promotional rate was still available last time I looked and we will return on another land visit later this year, just not on a Sunday! We still think it is convenient and good value for a cruise ship day.

If you have any specific questions I am happy to help.

Edited by c-leg5

• 1 month later...

I was there at the end of September and going back in two weeks.  This is copied and pasted from my MSC Divina review, some may not make sense out of context.  I have limited mobility, looking for something where I don't have to walk in the sand or pay a lot of money.  

Thursday was Cozumel day.

I was planning on doing the Cozumel Bar Hop, I’ve done that a few times and really enjoy it.  I knew I couldn’t climb the stairs to Coconuts and they said they would bring a drink and some ceviche down to the bus for me.  The more I thought about it, going up and down the stairs of the bus, walking across the sand, etc , I realized I couldn’t do it.  

I’ve done a few of the all inclusives, Nachi Cocum, etc and enjoyed them, but, they were expensive and required a lot of walking.  

And then I found Del Mar Latino Beach Club, $29 for all you can eat and drink and a nice infinity pool.   It’s not really on a beach, it’s basically a concrete slab with some sand, but, you can go in the ocean if you want, I planned to  stick to the pool.  

I booked it through their Facebook page and they couldn’t have been friendlier or easier to work with.  Several people from our roll call ended up going.  Four of us shared a taxi, it is walking distance for most people from the International Pier, but, we were at the downtown pier.

Here is the view from my lounger to the front.

del1.jpg.f2cc0d2b7294402a840a6bf32db5d36e.jpg

To the right.

del2.jpg.c3e0cb1b3fe3832fd1710783c46fd1b9.jpg

You can spot the MSC people with their orange towels.

del3.jpg.43e6d4f0bf7885c4ce914f13bc5dc44d.jpg

To the left.  The bar, the kitchen and the bathrooms.

del4.jpg.3ebe48e6b8c9249031342b1335b8c4b8.jpg

Everything was self contained, hardly any walking at all.

del5.jpg.a948016cfded9f91faf68f5033abddda.jpg

After all that delicious cream, I decided to start slow with water and pineapple juice.

del6.jpg.612dae04203df12253c2053914fe7db7.jpg

Their menu- hot snacks.  No charge for us.

delmenu1.jpg.40c86f1bceab3b9cd71be4ec86b66b1a.jpg

Cold snacks.

delmenu2.jpg.975f215371479e9d87f4403458dc5169.jpg

Drinks.

delmenu3.jpg.890f86c6a6a89cd93bde13d0ec64300b.jpg

We hadn’t been there long when we ordered some chicken wings. They were very tasty.  Pay no attention to that other chicken leg, that’s my new friend, Tim.

delfood1.jpg.48d2c33d9a3ddf2c7b5005c328b32197.jpg

Tim and Janet had found me on the beach at Ocean Cay and basically took charge in making sure I was not left behind to live out my life on OC.  They helped get me out of my lounger, which was no small feat and flagged down a tram for me.  They carried my backpack when I was struggling and could not have been lovelier.

delfood2.jpg.188997f4b721c8103bcf2b20dc8c7454.jpg

They didn’t have any plans for Cozumel, so, I told them about Del Mar and soon a plan was hatched.  They ended up loving it as much as I did.

• Like 1

Steve was going out on the submarine, which was right next door.

del7.jpg.86ea6265e392b9bf328a70c1325f9545.jpg

The coconut shrimp ended up being the star of the show.  It was so sweet if you ate it plain or the sauce made it taste like Bang Bang Shrimp from Bonefish Grill.

del8.jpg.0ce11aa6de30dd7e6e35947d28c48315.jpg

Somehow, miraculously, it doesn’t appear I took any pictures of my drinks, unless I took them on my phone or they’re still taking 288 hours to download.  

But, I remember Dirty Monkeys, Pina Coladas, Miami Vices.  And, that’s just what I remember!

Tom Brady’s new team.

del9.jpg.03d7df5a2600b36dff77479b2b1bc11b.jpg

This is how close we are to International pier.

del10.jpg.f219e1c1bda1c1063ac9d73147c09b48.jpg

I guess if they’re crowded, they put people along the side.  You can see some people swimming in the ocean.  The maximum they will take is 50 people, adults only.  I’d say we had about 20.

del11.jpg.337b5e979839af67c191b8976ec45cdb.jpg

The view from the bathroom.

del12.jpg.2825ece5008d780012eafac6deb732a0.jpg

Finally, around 4, we packed it in and they called us a taxi.

The other three went shopping near the pier and the taxi driver dropped me off at a “secret entrance”  so I wouldn’t have to walk 10 miles to get back to the ship.

Home sweet home.

del13.jpg.f4230d48865633fd426c7c4cb754788a.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 2:57 PM, c-leg5 said:

Update:

Del Mar brought back the promotional rate of $29pp for a limited time. We visited twice during our land vacation in the summer. 

Not sure if the promotional offer will be still available, but I think we'll spend 3-4 hours at Del Mar when we're in Cozumel next month. Thanks for the heads up 🙂

7 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

They didn’t have any plans for Cozumel, so, I told them about Del Mar and soon a plan was hatched.  They ended up loving it as much as I did.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your day! We look forward to being  there again in a couple of weeks!

Interesting about the menu prices I don’t recall seeing them previously. I wonder if it is the same reason as Nachi (for their hotel guests) or if they are planning to allow PAYG. I hope it doesn’t become TOO popular, we have enjoyed several relaxing visits!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, prish said:

Not sure if the promotional offer will be still available, but I think we'll spend 3-4 hours at Del Mar when we're in Cozumel next month. Thanks for the heads up 🙂

Promotion says it is good through December next year. I thought I had read you had to book by December this year but I don’t see that listed anymore.

Easy to book in advance from their website. We just paid $5 deposit.

c-legs5, I looked it up yesterday and they say $8 booking advance by PayPal, where did you find the $5 deposit? We're definitely planning on going, though we'll stay only about 4-5 hours, not longer.

Thanks all of you for the tips!

5 hours ago, prish said:

c-legs5, I looked it up yesterday and they say $8 booking advance by PayPal, where did you find the $5 deposit? We're definitely planning on going, though we'll stay only about 4-5 hours, not longer.

Thanks all of you for the tips!

I checked our upcoming reservation and we paid $6. I think it is because of the reduced rate perhaps. When they first opened 2-3 years ago they had this promotional rate. For a time they went to full rate and then with Covid back to promotional rate so we have paid all the rates but we have had no trouble with the deposit and paying balance on the day.

This beach club belongs to the hotel across the road. Keep in mind it is much smaller than many people expect and, as described on their website, only has a small man-made sandy area.

4-5 hours will be great - we simply eat, drink, enjoy the pool and relax in a lounger, reading or my husband listens to his music through his ear phones. Snorkeling is available with your own equipment.

I am not sure which area the above poster thinks they may put more people unless she is referring to the area with palapas. Whenever we have been there that has remained an area solely for hotel guests (the whole frontage was originally for hotel guests before they made a separate day pass area. The divide is usually the steps in for snorkeling with one side for day guests and the other set to the hotel side. There is usually a closed gate between the two although it appears to be open in the above photo. The very first photo on TA gives an excellent overview of the size of the property from the steps to the jetty.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

This beach club belongs to the hotel across the road. Keep in mind it is much smaller than many people expect and, as described on their website, only has a small man-made sandy area.

I am not sure which area the above poster thinks they may put more people unless she is referring to the area with palapas. Whenever we have been there that has remained an area solely for hotel guests

Yeah, I honestly wish they didn't have Beach in their name.  Just call it a Day Club or something.  Yes, the area with the palapas.  There was no one over there at all.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

C-leg 5 enjoyed meeting  you at Del Mar.  Definitely a do over for us.  Thank you for your recommendations.....Susan and Jimmy

Enjoyed talking to you both too!

Glad you enjoyed your day at Del Mar and the weather kept dry for us!

Quick update:

We had another quiet and relaxing day at Del Mar today. There were only 6 guests there all day which was good for us but sad for the business. Service and food were good as usual - always someone available if needed them but not pushy or over intrusive. Good clean facilities and no vendors.

@maureencruiser The above menus are the ones currently in use. I hadn’t noticed until today’s visit  that in addition to the prices, there are considerably less  options on the new Hot and Cold food menus compared to previous visits; also drinks after the first line of tequilas were no longer included in the day pass. Cutbacks are unfortunately inevitable in the current economic times. Neither change impacted our day, just a FYI especially if you are a tequila, chivas or Jack  Daniels fan.

We still consider it to be excellent value for a low-key, relaxing day.