Is my layover too short?

fluffybunny22

We are flying from Charlotte to Copenhagen through Munich on Lufthansa. Originally our layover was an hour and 35 minutes. A few weeks ago it changed to an hour and 20 minutes. There is another flight around an hour later to Copenhagen. We are meeting my in laws in Copenhagen so we want to get as early as possible. Will we be able to make our connection? Prices have gone up since we booked our tickets. If we try and change our flight out of Munich will be have to pay the higher fare? We are using Princess' EZ Air.

It's not a problem if you make it.

I am not trying to be sarcastic but if your first flight is delayed than you may miss the connection.

If you have a lot of time on your side (eg., the ship is not leaving that day or the next) then you can risk it but if time is not on your side speaking for myself I would not go with such a short connection.  I don't do it domestically nor flying internationally.

Hopefully all will work out for you but just want to caution you about flight delays.

Keith

We changed in MUC from a MIA-MUC flight to a MUC-CPH flight (both Lufthansa) this January, our layover was 50 minutes. We made it with over fifteen minutes to spare - and if you booked is as one ticket, Lufthansa would automatically remove any impossibly short layovers (and be responsible for rebooking in case of delay on first flight, causing you to miss the connection). But as I said, a 50 minutes layover was more than sufficient for us.

We are European citizens, however, so we could use the EU passport-scan booths. But I reckon it wouldn't prolong your passport control that much, having to go through a manned checkpoint if you're not an EU citizen..

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I am not trying to be sarcastic but if your first flight is delayed than you may miss the connection

A 1h20 minutes layover is more than sufficient in MUC and more time will not necessarily make your ship - the flight from MUC to CPH could very well be delayed or cancelled.

For the same reason - do never fly the same day as your cruise departure. 

- in addition to delayed flights you might also miss your luggage! 

I have been flying for business and holiday overseas for 35 years - always tried to keep my layovers as short as possible - well, occasionally my flight has been late and I missed my original connection flight,  but the airline has alway got me to my final destination in time.

- however, I never fly the same day as my cruise.

5 minutes ago, hallasm said:

A 1h20 minutes layover is more than sufficient in MUC and more time will not necessarily make your ship - the flight from MUC to CPH could very well be delayed or cancelled.

For the same reason - do never fly the same day as your cruise departure. 

- in addition to delayed flights you might also miss your luggage! 

I have been flying for business and holiday overseas for 35 years - always tried to keep my layovers as short as possible - well, occasionally my flight has been late and I missed my original connection flight,  but the airline has alway got me to my final destination in time.

- however, I never fly the same day as my cruise.

I have been flying for 45 years and I have seen about everything you can see. 

Personally I don't go with layovers this short. 

I only did it back in the day when flight flew half full and there were others to catch.  Those days are long gone.

I am talking about delays that can impact the first flight of which there are many.

Oh well.  Like most things each person needs to do what they are comfortable doing.

Keith

6 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I only did it back in the day when flight flew half full and there were others to catch.  Those days are long gone.

Completely concur.  There is this magical assumption of "well, I'll just get on the next flight and I'll be OK".

Except that this assumption doesn't consider:

1) There has to be a "next flight".

2) There has to be availability on that flight.

3) That those with higher fare basis and/or elite status will get first dibs on those seats.

Final observation:  I find it amazing that folks who will just sit around on a ship reading a book and relaxing, then somehow find the idea of doing that in an airport abhorrent.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Completely concur.  There is this magical assumption of "well, I'll just get on the next flight and I'll be OK".

Except that this assumption doesn't consider:

1) There has to be a "next flight".

2) There has to be availability on that flight.

3) That those with higher fare basis and/or elite status will get first dibs on those seats.

Final observation:  I find it amazing that folks who will just sit around on a ship reading a book and relaxing, then somehow find the idea of doing that in an airport abhorrent.

I agree with you 100%.  Those assumptions don't seem to work these days. 

I  also like your final observation.  I am also one of those who gets to the airport way early even though I have Global Entry, etc.  I just realize things happen.    😀

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I feel better knowing that others don't feel like our layover is too short. We are flying in a day early so we aren't worried about missing the ship. Our main concern is meeting up with the in laws who get in a few hours before us and may be waiting at the airport for us to arrive.

5 hours ago, fluffybunny22 said:

Our main concern is meeting up with the in laws who get in a few hours before us and may be waiting at the airport for us to arrive.

Lufthansa and SAS does have 10 daily services between MUC and CPH (some with a stop over in FRA)  - if delayed into MUC there will be a later flight - Lufthansa does know when flights are delayed and you have already been rebooked when you arrive into MUC - your laws might however take the original flight and you'll meet in Copenhagen.

I have been delayed several time when arriving into an German airport with Lufthansa - always been booked at the next flight.

Enjoy your travel, Copenhagen and your cruise.

Edited by hallasm

On 9/4/2019 at 7:35 AM, fluffybunny22 said:

Thanks everyone. I feel better knowing that others don't feel like our layover is too short. We are flying in a day early so we aren't worried about missing the ship. Our main concern is meeting up with the in laws who get in a few hours before us and may be waiting at the airport for us to arrive.

I really mean this.  I hope it all works out for you but I wouldn't call three people saying it will be fine to mean it will be.

Like I said if your flight is delayed so you miss the connection its anyone's guess what happens.

I never fly with such a short connection domestically nor internationally .  I guess I have been on too many flights when things go wrong and just don't want to deal with that anymore.

Like I said I hope it works out and the odds are in your favor but no one can guarantee what the situation will be like on the day of your flight.

Keith

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Like I said if your flight is delayed so you miss the connection its anyone's guess what happens

OP is flying the day before. I really do not see any problem with this short connection - even if OP miss the connection and even if need to stay overnight in MUC I cannot see any big risk. Personally based on my 35 flying Star Alliance with many stop over in Germany I would go with the same short connection.

In case of delays I have always been booked at the next flight. 

16 minutes ago, hallasm said:

OP is flying the day before. I really do not see any problem with this short connection - even if OP miss the connection and even if need to stay overnight in MUC I cannot see any big risk. Personally based on my 35 flying Star Alliance with many stop over in Germany I would go with the same short connection.

In case of delays I have always been booked at the next flight. 

One thing about me is I read every word so I fully understand the OP's cruise does not leave until the next day.

I also see where they want to meet up with the in-laws so getting in the next day does not accomplish this.

I don't think your experience has anything to do with all of the things that can easily delay the first flight by an hour or so meaning they miss the connection.  I base this not on 35 flights.  I base this on many hundreds of flights.

Me, I never go with such a short connection on any flight because I have seen things go very wrong.

And it's so easy to say no worries and everything will go well.  But I know better.

As I said I hope things go well for the OP and the odds are they will.  But I have enough concern that I have chosen to give my opinion not once but twice.

Keith