Dining Room Table size Recomendation

garypolton

Hey Everyone! Brand new to Princess...

We have always sailed Carnival in the past and are honeymooning on the Sky Princess on a Scandinavia & Russia Itinerary in May 2020.

We are excited, but the vacation planner was asking us about requesting a table size. We enjoy dining with others but would not mind dining by ourselves (if that's what you would recommend). We prefer that same time dining each night, we picked the later dining time (think it was 7:15 pm)

Need some advice as to what size table you would recommend. Carnival has always been good at placing us at a table with like minded and age appropriate couples (we are mid 30's). Does Princess also do this too? I wouldn't want to be seated with small kids or maybe elderly guests. We get along with everyone but no offense, it's our honeymoon and want to have some laughs and good conversation. We always had a 4 top table when cruising by ourselves.

Thanks in advance, and take it easy on this Princess Newbie 😉

Gary & Kristan

1 minute ago, skynight said:

Agree 6 is about right. You may want to visit the maitre'd on boarding day to review your table assignment. Tables for two tend to be right next to each other in a line, maybe a foot apart. Don't know the Sky's layout.

and that foot can act as a boundary of sorts ...

7 minutes ago, voljeep said:

and that foot can act as a boundary of sorts ...

I found the foot (six inches is probably more accurate) void between 2 tops very awkward.  Waiter can't always get right round the table to serve some passengers.  More importantly, do you join in "their" conversation?  If you do, is it better then to opt out of conversing with the next table generally or what?

Lol John

• Like 2

I wonder if a 6-top is being mentioned most because if one doesn't hit it off with the other two at a 4-top, one is kind of "stuck", but having TWO other couples at a 6-top increases the chances.  Or perhaps the variety of conversation?  Although, if four connect at a 6-top, it kind of leaves the other two out.  This is an easy choice for us when we cruise with our best friends as we connect at a 4-top.  Been a while since cruised alone, so we have generally preferred a 2-top.  Depends who you meet.  Sometimes on a cruise, I have thought it would be nice to dine some evening with so-and-so we just met. 

We have also seen a "lonely" couple at a 6-top - either due to others not showing up or not having an assignment.

Edited by steelers36

When not traveling with friends we ask for no more than a 6 top...but this is because in the past we have been at an 8 tops and found service takes a bit longer.  So if you think you will want to get back out and do the shows, trivia, MUTS...etc  a 6 top tends to get through service a bit quicker as well. Just our thoughts and observations.

We only request a two top now. The problem with a six top is when you are seated with two couples that are traveling together or meeting up on the ship. This has happened to us several times. You might as well not be at the table!!

Cheers, Denise

Thank you everyone for your quick and valued responses!

I think I am going to request a table of 6 for now. Maybe when the ship is up and running we will see the setup of the 2 top tables to see if they spaced them out more. 

Any other suggestions or tips/tricks for a 1st time Princess cruiser would be much appreciated also... Cheers!

Agreed, service for eight and higher often takes too long if you're trying to finish up to see the shows. We've excused ourselves before dessert and no one seemed offended when we explained why we were leaving. Dessert is always available later at the International Cafe.  

We recently travelled with another couple and welcomed a new couple to a 6-top. We were sometimes tired of talking to each other!

If it was my honeymoon,I would request a two top next to a window.

When you get on the ship, ask where the maitre’d is located to discuss table assignments. Speak with him to confirm the table for two and mention that it is your honeymoon. He may gladly accommodate your request.

Also, if you want to share a MDR table for meals,consider open seating in the dining room for breakfast everyday and lunch on sea days.

Not certain what cabin you have selected,but if you have a balcony,you can arrange for a special balcony dinner where each course is served by waitstaff on your balcony . The dinner is accompanied by a floral centerpiece and a professional photo. Additional cost does apply.

Another way to enjoy a romantic dinner for two is by making a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants, the Crown Grill,Sabatini’s or the French restaurant that will be debuting on the Sky Princess. These have an additional fee,but IMHO, worth the extra charge.

Congratulations and Bon voyage!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

When you get on the ship, ask where the maitre’d is located to discuss table assignments. Speak with him to confirm the table for two and mention that it is your honeymoon. He may gladly accommodate your request.    

No need to hunt him/her down.........

The MD meets with passengers at the beginning of every cruise for these types of requests.

The time/place will be listed in the embarkation day Patter.

It is usually held in one of the DR's between 2p and 3:30p.

• Like 1

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

Just nod your head.  😁

Great idea. I'm always a bit embarrassed when I can't follow the conversation. So, if you end up at a table with me and I have a silly grin on my face nodding up and down; yup; I have no idea what you're saying!😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

If it was my honeymoon,I would request a two top next to a window.

Also, if you want to share a MDR table for meals,consider open seating in the dining room for breakfast everyday and lunch on sea days.

Not certain what cabin you have selected,but if you have a balcony,you can arrange for a special balcony dinner where each course is served by waitstaff on your balcony . The dinner is accompanied by a floral centerpiece and a professional photo. Additional cost does apply.

Another way to enjoy a romantic dinner for two is by making a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants, the Crown Grill,Sabatini’s or the French restaurant that will be debuting on the Sky Princess. These have an additional fee,but IMHO, worth the extra charge.

Congratulations and Bon voyage!

Wow! This is great information! Will have to ask the maitre'd if we can get that window seat... Great input for sure!

We love to brunch and have breakfast with random people. It's nice to conversation about where they are from and what they have planned. I find you get the most incite from those experienced cruisers...

We have one of the AFT rear facing balconies, so the dinner would be super cool.

We do like the paid specialty restaurants. Well worth the small extra charges...

Thanks again! This is why I love Cruise Critic!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

No need to hunt him/her down.........

The MD meets with passengers at the beginning of every cruise for these types of requests.

The time/place will be listed in the embarkation day Patter.

It is usually held in one of the DR's between 2p and 3:30p.

That sounds so much more organized than Carnival... Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Solve the large table conversation problem by sitting somewhere different every night. You may not be in conversation with someone one night, but you can converse the next night. 

Of course, you may have the folks that think they own a particular set of chairs for the entire cruise. (More reason to sit in their seats) 

Just now, neverbeenhere said:

Solve the large table conversation problem by sitting somewhere different every night. You may not be in conversation with someone one night, but you can converse the next night. 

Of course, you may have the folks that think they own a particular set of chairs for the entire cruise. (More reason to sit in their seats) 

We have assigned dining. With Carnival your assigned to that same table every night. Is it different with Princess?