RC to Hamilton Bermuda (vs Royal Navy Dockyard)

SSBrickNJ

The itinerary for my July 13th Empress of the Seas 7 day cruise mentions "Hamilton Bermuda".

6 years ago we took Royal C's cruise to Bermuda and docked at the Royal Navy Dockyard.

Bermuda is kind of small.

Is Royal Caribbean just listing the very same dock and calling it or labeling it "Hamilton" instead of Royal Navy Dockyard?

No, Hamilton is a separate port.  Prior to the big ships all the ships stopped at St. George's and Hamilton.  There was almost nothing to do in Dockyards.   Once the ships got bigger the traditional ports couldn't accommodate them and Dockyards was developed.   Personally we prefer docking in Hamilton and St. George's. Walk off the ship and everything is right there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, doones2 said:

I loved docking in Hamilton but there is no ferry from Hamilton to St George.  The dockyard has a ferries to Hamilton and St George 

But it’s closer by bus or cab - Hamilton is just about the center of the island. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njkruzer said:

It looks like its docked in Hamilton 2 nights, leaving very early for St. Georges and tendering the 3rd day there.

That would be great! I'm not able to find the location on Royal Caribbean's website  where is lays out for our cruise the day by day specifics ///for example I wish to see....

Day 1 At Sea

Day 2 blah blah

Day 3 blah blah

etc...showing every day's location for all 7 days.

So again, our future cruise is Empress of the Seas out of Cape Liberty / Bayonne NJ

Sailing 7/13/20

If anyone has the ability to provide the day by day itinerary for that cruise I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Steve 

Edited by SSBrickNJ

• Day1: Cape Liberty - Nj (Ny Metro)
    • Mon Jul 13 2020 | Depart 04:00 PM
    • Day2: Cruising
    • Tue Jul 14 2020
    • Day3: Hamilton - Bermuda
    • Wed Jul 15 2020 | Arrive 02:00 PM
    • Day4: Hamilton - Bermuda
    • Thu Jul 16 2020 |
    • Day5: Hamilton - Bermuda
    • Fri Jul 17 2020 | Depart 06:00 AM
    • Day5: St. George Island - Bermuda
    • Fri Jul 17 2020 | Arrive 07:30 AM
    • Day6: St. George Island - Bermuda
    • Sat Jul 18 2020 | Depart 02:00 PM
    • Day7: Cruising
    • Sun Jul 19 2020
    • Day8: Cape Liberty - Nj (Ny Metro)
    • Mon Jul 20 2020 | Arrive 08:00 AM
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jimbo said:
    • Day1: Cape Liberty - Nj (Ny Metro)
    • Mon Jul 13 2020 | Depart 04:00 PM
    • Day2: Cruising
    • Tue Jul 14 2020
    • Day3: Hamilton - Bermuda
    • Wed Jul 15 2020 | Arrive 02:00 PM
    • Day4: Hamilton - Bermuda
    • Thu Jul 16 2020 |
    • Day5: Hamilton - Bermuda
    • Fri Jul 17 2020 | Depart 06:00 AM
    • Day5: St. George Island - Bermuda
    • Fri Jul 17 2020 | Arrive 07:30 AM
    • Day6: St. George Island - Bermuda
    • Sat Jul 18 2020 | Depart 02:00 PM
    • Day7: Cruising
    • Sun Jul 19 2020
    • Day8: Cape Liberty - Nj (Ny Metro)
    • Mon Jul 20 2020 | Arrive 08:00 AM

I found it also.....so I wrote it out on an index card....then I came back to the thread to type it in...wanted to show everyone I answered my own question....but....you beat me to it! :classic_smile:

Edited by SSBrickNJ

Well clearly we will be docked alongside Hamilton itself instead of at the Royal Navy Dockyard.

I think that this is a POSITIVE thing.

The shops in the R N Dockyard didn't interest me 6 years ago.

We used the ferry to go elsewhere.

Now the location is better! Correct?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, njkruzer said:

It looks like its docked in Hamilton 2 nights, leaving very early for St. Georges and tendering the 3rd day there.

I don't believe Empress Tenders in St. George, I think it docks there, When I went with the Home Lines and Celebrity the smaller boats always docked in St. George.

While there may be someone that prefers Dockyard to Hamilton, I have yet to meet them!  There is stuff to do in Dockyard, but Hamilton is a beautiful city at the heart of Bermuda.  Certainly there are people that prefer larger ships and may be willing to go to Dockyard in order to get the ship they want.

12 minutes ago, Homelines1977 said:

I don't believe Empress Tenders in St. George, I think it docks there, When I went with the Home Lines and Celebrity the smaller boats always docked in St. George.

I believe docking vs tendering depends on the availability of a pier.  I know Empress can dock, but have read that it does not always.

Ironically I once tendered in Hamilton.  Empress was unable to navigate the channel to St. George due to high winds, and could not remain at the downtown pier due to another ship.  We stayed in Hamilton and moved to a nearby freight pier and tendered to the cruise pier.  Only time I've taken a tender from a ship while it was docked!

19 minutes ago, Homelines1977 said:

I agree but when I looked at one of the itineraries it said tendering.  Still doable.

11 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I agree but when I looked at one of the itineraries it said tendering.  Still doable.

I believe that St Georges is a tender only port at this time as the channel near the pier needs to be widened as it was not used for many years.   There has been talk of RCI (and others) working with the government to work on the channel so that St Georges can become a regular stop for their ships (including the larger ones (up to quantum class only).

• Like 1

Try to be on deck as the ship approaches the entrance to the St. George's Harbor.

The cannons at the old fort (starboard side of ship)   at the entrance used to be fired to salute approaching cruise ships.  I don't know if that tradition will still happen.

Before the Empress was kicked out of the RCCL fleet, we were on  one of the last sailings of this itinerary ( 2005? 2006?).  Of course the Empress is no longer the same lovely ship she was at that time. More cabins have been crammed into her, there is less public space, and the food quality has sadly deteriorated. 

Edited by Homosassa