Notes from a cruise to Iceland

Host Hattie

DAY 7 Isafjordur

We were up fairly early (for us) & made it to Britannia breakfast. We were rewarded with a lovely table for 4 to ourselves at the stern. There was a very nice apple/cinnamon pastry on the tray today. One of our evening waiters Joel was in charge of it so he brought me a second one. The sun was out a little so we went down for tender tickets. Rather embarrassingly I failed the step test first time round and had to try again ! We were called straight away and were in the small town by just after 10. First stop was a Pharmacy for something for the cough that had kept me awake last night. We managed to stroll around for a couple of hours, try out the local beer and be back on the ship in time for lunch in the Golden Lion.

IMG_20190912_083805_1.jpg

IMG_20190912_122729.jpg

DSC02941.JPG

DSC02945.JPG

IMG_20190912_121728.jpg

IMG_20190912_121545.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

... We tried to work out if we were going to cross the Arctic Circle. ...

I believe you have managed to accomplish that feat a couple times on this voyage. According to wikipedia, the Arctic Circle is currently at 66°33′47.8″ N. After checking your past track on marinetraffic, it looks like you made it as far north as 66°38′ N both during the night before your arrival into Akureyri and then again last night before your arrival into Isafjordur. I figure you were above the Arctic Circle from about 01:10 AM to 03:16 AM on 11 September and from about 01:24 AM to 04:33 AM on 12 September.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maryann2 said:

Thank you for taking the time to do this fabulous review.  I am really enjoying it.

(This was not the posting I intended to reply to. It was a question about pens!)

On a recent cruise aboard the QE my wife asked at the shop if she could buy some Cunard pens. They said they didn't have any and directed her to the pursers office. They gave her three at no charge. They weren't fancy but better than the pencil provided in the stateroom.

Edited by david,Mississauga
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

As it seems to be so important, I checked one on the way out of dinner last night, definitely real.

ooops there goes what little of my credibility I had, thanks Hattie, Enjoying your reports keep them coming.

• Like 1

DAY 7 Part 2
We had a lazy afternoon, enjoying the changing scenery as the ship turned again. We got bundled up for Sailaway on our balcony, beautiful light and plenty of birds but no whales. We got a good seat in the Commodore Club for cocktails and a couple of sightings of water spouts and whale tails. Another good dinner, most of the table went for the Ribeye steak for main course and we had a large plate of the accompanying chunky chips for the table. Mr HH had 2 starters. The only disappointing thing at dinner is the Petit Fours, not a lot of variety and mostly quite dull.
We didn't fancy the production show, we were one of the last tables to leave dinner so we would have struggled to get there anyway. We went to the Yacht Club for the first time to watch the band. The ship was moving around more so it was also interesting watching the water in the Pavilion pool. We were pleasantly surprised by the band and stayed for their full set. No sign of the Northern Lights at least until midnight.

IMG_20190912_191312.jpg

IMG_20190912_224539.jpg

• Like 3

DAY 8 Reykjavik
The first of our 2 day stop started rather late as we were still asleep at 10am !
We made our first visit of the cruise to the Lido, it was very quiet and we enjoyed the smoothie/breakfast pastries.
We caught the free shuttle to the Harpa concert hall and from there the HoHo bus. I was mainly interested in 2 stops, the church where Mr HH went up the tower and I listened to the organist explaining how the organ was built/serviced and then playing. 
We got back on the bus and went to Perlan for the observation platform and lunch. It was a beautiful sunny day with great views. We got the bus straight back to the ship and enjoyed the sun on our balcony.

IMG_20190913_151944.jpg

IMG_20190913_124437.jpg

IMG_20190913_135313.jpg

IMG_20190913_135156.jpg

• Like 3

Hattie

You mentioned the bus was free into the city; was this for all fares? My daughter and family are travelling to Iceland next year on early saver fares, and wondering what the cost would be as they are there overnight. I would be very grateful if you can answer this.

So pleased you had a lovely day, and I am enjoying your photos of places on the “bucket list”

• Like 1

Hattie

Like several other posters, we will be in Reykjavik next August on the QM2.  Thank you for all of the information and photos you have posted during your voyage.  

Did Cunard offer any shore excursions for your second day in Reykjavik?  

• Like 1

DAY 8 Part 2

The afternoon on the balcony wasn't without excitement, I am not sure if this was planned.

We had a pre-dinner drink in the Golden Lion, my Singapore Sling was a rather dark colour.

One of the couples on our table was late to dinner as their independent excursion got back late, they were held up on the roads due to the round up of sheep down from the hills. I had read about this but now I'm a bit worried as our All aboard time is 4.30pm ! We both had the Veal & there was a slight improvement with brownie petit fours.

We got a box for the evening show, an acrobatic couple, we've seen similar before but I am not sure if we've seen this particular act. We have an early start tomorrow so we called it a night.

IMG_20190913_162352.jpg

• Like 2

DAY 9 Reykjavik

I'd booked a Golden Circle tour with Saga Travel and 11 of us were picked up from the ship at 7.45. The weather forecast for today was poor but we managed to get through the morning without getting wet. The wind was pretty brutal though. The heavens opened on the way to the last sight so I and a couple of other wimps ducked out of the walk and just had a quick look at the view through the rain.

Our guide was very good at making sure we knew where to go, typically dropping us off in one car park and collecting us from another. We were left to our own devices at the sights.

We were back to the ship by 3.30, we'd taken our passports just in case !

I spent the last of our krona in the port shop.

IMG_20190914_091156.jpg

IMG_20190914_104649.jpg

IMG_20190914_110718.jpg

IMG_20190914_112518.jpg

IMG_20190914_133330.jpg

IMG_20190914_133330_1.jpg

• Like 2

Not great weather today for a sailaway, is it, although it looks like the rain has let up during the past 30 minutes or so. I've been watching the Skarfabakki pier webcam on the Associated Icelandic Ports website (faxafloahafnir.is) which shows a partial view of QE.

SnapShot-20190914_140019.thumb.jpg.fc023b636bf1be514fe009883fe83fd2.jpg

I see you are still at the pier two hours after your 5:00pm scheduled departure. Hopefully nothing serious.

Edited by bluemarble

I think it's the weather but the Captain's announcement wasn't played on the normal TV channel and by the time I opened our cabin door he was talking about bumpy weather tomorrow.

We're in the Commodore Club and a couple of small tugs have arrived so maybe that's a sign something is happening.

It's dried up but still windy.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

DAY 9 Reykjavik

I'd booked a Golden Circle tour with Saga Travel and 11 of us were picked up from the ship at 7.45. The weather forecast for today was poor but we managed to get through the morning without getting wet. The wind was pretty brutal though. The heavens opened on the way to the last sight so I and a couple of other wimps ducked out of the walk and just had a quick look at the view through the rain.

Our guide was very good at making sure we knew where to go, typically dropping us off in one car park and collecting us from another. We were left to our own devices at the sights.

We were back to the ship by 3.30, we'd taken our passports just in case !

I spent the last of our krona in the port shop.

I'm glad it was a good tour.  Sorry about the poor weather.

I am booked with Saga Travel for the Golden Circle tour on 29th Sept  (MSC Meraviglia). So will be doing it in 2 weeks time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, maryann2 said:

I'm glad it was a good tour.  Sorry about the poor weather.

I am booked with Saga Travel for the Golden Circle tour on 29th Sept  (MSC Meraviglia). So will be doing it in 2 weeks time.

Have a good time, wrap up warm !

Thanks 

53 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Have a good time, wrap up warm !

Thanks so much Hattie for your interesting account of your trip so far.  To help with planning a similar future cruise on QV,  would you say it has felt cool ashore most days in Iceland at this time of year?

Thanks.

-- 

plod

DAY 10 At Sea
We were waiting for our unusually late room service breakfast when Mr HH found the order form on the floor - oops ! It was 9.45 by this time so he rang to order from the Brunch Menu, he was told it was too early and although he did place an order when he rang to check progress at 10.30 it became apparent that it hadn't been placed. 
We finally got food at 11, the waiter delivering did apologise and say the delay had been his fault. The smoked salmon bagel was a great success, the German breakfast slightly less so. We sat on the balcony for a while but it was too cold, the ship is still moving around quite a bit. We went to the Forensics lecture at 12.15, then I went to Cafe Carinthia while Mr HH tried and failed to qualify for the Blackjack final. It was busy but I managed to get a table in the walkway and we had the Sandwich of the day (vegetable and mozzarella) and Seafood Platter. I went to the 2pm film "POMS" and Mr HH went to have another go at Blackjack. He had more success this time, his first tournament win since our first cruise on QE2.

• Like 3

DAY 10 Part 2
This evening was originally shown as a Gala Evening but when the Daily Programme arrived it had been changed to Smart Attire. We went down to the Golden Lion to watch the waves and the sunset. It was quiet although a few people were eating. The dinner menu this evening wasn't that inspiring but we all found something. We were one of the last tables to leave and went to the Queens Room to watch the dancing again.

DAY 11 Part 1
We were up in time for Britannia breakfast and went straight to the theatre for the Forensics lecture. I got a pair of seats at the back of theatre and watched one man defend 3 empty seats in a box armed only with a couple of copies of the Daily Programme, a dismissive wave and the snarl, "There is someone sitting there". A few brave souls did manage to say "You're not supposed to save seats" before scurrying away. This went on before and for the whole of the lecture. We left before Michael Howard's second lecture and our seats were quickly taken.

18 hours ago, plod1 said:

IMG_20190915_191506_1.jpg

• Like 2