Notes from a cruise to Iceland

Host Hattie

Dear Hattie

My wife and I sailed on  Queen Victoria, voyage V919 in late July / August 2019 the only difference we visited Lerwick. I have written an "Iceland Photography" July / August 2019 V919 in the Photo and Camera Discussions (P and C D forum). I did think of posting on the Cunard forum but very few articles on photography in Iceland so the P and C D forum gained.

Have a great time.

Best wishes

Derek.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks both, I've just seen this on Cunard's Facebook page, we don't normally go to the production shows but I might make the effort for this.

IMG_20190905_124313.png

But not on QM2? Bummer, my next Cunard voyage is on QM2.

I saw the London production of Top Hat several years ago--good but NOBODY will ever replace Fred Astaire. I wonder if they're working from that or from the original film. I look forward to hearing about this.

Hattie,

Enjoy your voyage. 

My wife and I were just on the Queen Elizabeth (our first cruise),  Q921B 

Jul 24, 2019 New York, NY, USA Arrives 06:30 AM Departs 05:00 PM

Jul 26, 2019 Halifax, NS, Canada Arrives 08:00 AM Departs 06:00 PM

Jul 28, 2019 St John's, NL, Canada Arrives 09:00 AM Departs 05:00 PM

Aug 1, 2019 Isafjordur, Iceland Arrives 08:00 AM Departs 06:00 PM

Aug 2, 2019 Reykjavik, Iceland Arrives 09:00 AM Departs 05:00 PM

Aug 5, 2019 Glasgow (tours from Greenock), Scotland, Arrives 08:00 AM Departs 05:00 PM

Aug 6, 2019 Dublin, Ireland Arrives 07:00 AM Departs 06:00 PM

Aug 8, 2019 Southampton, England, UK Arrives 06:00 AM

We enjoyed it very much.  I am interested in your experiences in 

Isafjordur, Reykjavik, Glasgow and Dublin. These were stops on our trip as well,  and we had a great time exploring on our own. 

Photos from Isafjordur

Thanks 

Vince

20190801_103400.jpg

20190801_124215.jpg

• Like 2

DAY 1 Southampton

After a lovely stay and a leisurely breakfast our taxi arrived at 11.15 and we got to the QEII terminal at about 11.50. There was a single queue labelled Priority and we were directed straight to a desk.  We checked in, were given a green card and told to wait in the busy lounge upstairs. People were already queuing at security. After a few minutes there was an announcement for passengers who had transferred from Queen Victoria, then for Diamond, then before we had chance to get to the back of the queue for Platinum. The security queue moved quickly and we were on board by around 12.20. We left our hand luggage in the cabin and headed to the Golden Lion for lunch. It was very quiet and even by the time we left very few people had arrived. It was nice to see Camgirl and her husband again. Mr HH tried the Cunard Red but I think he'll be going back to Marston's Pedigree. The Suet pudding (followed in my case my Bakewell tart) should keep us going until late sitting dinner.
It's a rather grey afternoon in Southampton so we saved the stroll on deck for later and went back to the cabin to wait for our luggage. Our cabin steward introduced herself.

IMG_20190906_124037.jpg

IMG_20190906_123249.jpg

IMG_20190906_123157.jpg

• Like 3

Bon voyage Hattie - looking forward to reading your updates.

Queen Elizabeth is my favourite ship but sadly her itineraries don’t work for us at the moment, so will be on QV next month instead. In the meantime, it will be great to hear your thoughts on QE. 

• Like 1

DAY Part 2

After an hour of watching the goings on the dockside, mainly cases being thrown enthusiastically onto the forward conveyor belt, we received the dreaded call, one of the cases had a banned item ! Mr HH looked a bit sheepish and admitted he'd packed his Swiss army knife. They checked the length of the blade and it was OK but they suggested he pack it in hand luggage in future. Muster was at 4 & it was a pleasure to be back in the theatre after the torture of the Kings Court muster on QM2. No life jackets required. Sailaway was being held in the Garden Lounge due to inclement weather so we stayed on the balcony and finished the Pol Aker. After some experiments I have found adding peach juice helps. We had a rainbow to guide us out. Ventura and Queen Victoria were in the far distance.

IMG_20190906_170501.jpg

DSC02860.JPG

• Like 2

Your going to have a great trip. We did this similar route last year but the ship had to skip Lewis. We did go in March of this year for a week to see the family. Stornoway is a beautiful port, try to get the Castle Grounds if you have time.

See you in November on Mary.

GG

• Like 1

DAY 1 Part 3
We got ready for dinner and headed to the Midships Bar for a drink. Past the shops (no tables outside) and the Queens Room (a couple of dancers). A Blackthorn Sour for me and a Sloe Ahead for Mr HH. Goats cheese popcorn and olives for those who like to keep track of nibbles.
We were on a table of 6 as requested near the windows at the stern. Service, food and company were all good. Two widowed ladies travelling together are on the waiting list for first sitting so we might not see them again. There were a few empty tables around us. We skipped the show and went to an almost deserted Golden Lion for a Brandy Alexander & Marston's Pedigree. The piano "entertainer" was pleasant enough and we stayed for a second, calling it a night at just before midnight. 

IMG_20190906_201102_1.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/5/2019 at 3:09 AM, Host Hattie said:

We'll be travelling down to the New Forest this afternoon for an overnight stay before joining Queen Elizabeth in Southampton tomorrow for a 14 day cruise to Iceland.

I will try and post my random observations as usual.

Some friends drove around Iceland by car.  This sounds more sensible.  We are already missing lunch in the Golden Lion and the Latin dancing.  Have a great trip.  

• Like 1

DAY 2 At sea
We were both fast asleep when the Room Service knock came at 8.55, we were making very stately progress along the coast of Cornwall. We had tea & pastries. I seem to have woken up with a bad back so spent most of the day getting out of chairs rather gingerly. We missed all the morning lectures, settling for a steamer chair, a view of the coast of Cornwall & connecting to our Mobile network. We were passing Land's End around the time of the noon announcement. We had a nice lunch in the Britannia restaurant, I seem to be ordering the same dishes from our last cruise, I can't detect any significant differences between quality on the 3 ships so far. We had a couple of glasses from a bottle of wine, hopefully I remembered our correct table number, or someone will have a nice surprise this evening ! I went to the Commodore Club to meet a few members of our roll call and we had a good chat for an hour. Mr HH was having an afternoon nap so I joined him and then we enjoyed the sun on our balcony. It was a bit windy but we stuck it out for a while.

IMG_20190907_184734.jpg

• Like 4

thanks for the running commentary HH, looking forward to the rest of the trip and your reports. A bit distressed to hear the table flowers are now plastic......say it isn't so!!!! The flowers were one of the pleasures around the ship - I hope the florists are not being done away with as they do a magnificent job!

On another note - my source reports the selling of Louis Vuitton now on board which certainly pleases her and I'm sure a few others needing extra luggage...

2 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

thanks for the running commentary HH, looking forward to the rest of the trip and your reports. A bit distressed to hear the table flowers are now plastic......say it isn't so!!!! The flowers were one of the pleasures around the ship - I hope the florists are not being done away with as they do a magnificent job!

On another note - my source reports the selling of Louis Vuitton now on board which certainly pleases her and I'm sure a few others needing extra luggage...

Hi Roscoe:

At least on the last two Summer crossings on QM2 in Late July and August all the flowers were real....its hard to imagine Cunard substituting fake flowers for real.  That would be so low rent as we Americans say.  Did I miss something in an earlier post on this thread?  Thanks.

Deck Chair.

1 hour ago, deck chair said:

Hi Roscoe:

At least on the last two Summer crossings on QM2 in Late July and August all the flowers were real....its hard to imagine Cunard substituting fake flowers for real.  That would be so low rent as we Americans say.  Did I miss something in an earlier post on this thread?  Thanks.

Deck Chair.

hi deck chair....yes I was a bit mortified as well, I have a spy on board keeping an eye on Hattie and it was one of the things that hey noticed - that and the lack of pens and pads in the staterooms, but then they are in the cheap seats...you would expect that. (joke......)

Edited by roscoe39