WTH! Haven Restuarant CLOSED our entire sailing!

Dgius

I just got an email that the HAVEN restaurant is closed our entire sailing on the NCL Joy(leaving in just 2 days!!!!).   They said that we would be eating breakfast and lunch in Cagneys!  And we have the 7 day specialty dinner package.   I am very upset. I had an intention to rarely leave the sanctuary of the Haven space.   I would appreciate any comments or feedback.   Am I am being unreasonable by being very upset and disappointed?  I am not a big specialty restaurant person so what should I book if I have to choose one every night of our sailing.   

Totally unacceptable. I have not stayed in the Haven, but I have visited it and known people who stayed there, and part of the draw is that you have your restaurant to go to every night and reconvene with your fellow passengers.

Totally unacceptable. You should get the option of refund or transfer to another sailing. Some credits, at the very least, are in order.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dgius said:

I just got an email that the HAVEN restaurant is closed our entire sailing on the NCL Joy(leaving in just 2 days!!!!).   They said that we would be eating breakfast and lunch in Cagneys!  And we have the 7 day specialty dinner package.   I am very upset. I had an intention to rarely leave the sanctuary of the Haven space.   I would appreciate any comments or feedback.   Am I am being unreasonable by being very upset and disappointed?  I am not a big specialty restaurant person so what should I book if I have to choose one every night of our sailing.   

Did they say why?

I would be very upset as well! If it is taking at least week to fix, something is really wrong. That poor ship can't get a break.

Your butler can deliver food if you don't want to leave the Haven

Food republic has great Asian fusion

Tuesday plan an early dinner at Cagney's or LeBistro - we had amazing Glacier viewing from there.

if it is Galley maintenance, the restaurant seating area/lounge should be available - I would write a polite letter to the concierge & Hotel Director (General manager). They have chosen the easy way for staff, without considering passengers comfort. I would be more upset about breakfast than dinner

Question for all (not just those on this sailing)....

Would it be better to close the restaurant for 1 entire cruise or close the restaurant for the last 4 days of 1 cruise and the first 4 days of the following week cruise?

Doing it all in one cruise will upset fewer people but it will make that group very upset. Splitting it between 2 cruises will give everyone a few days in the restaurant but will have 2 Haven groups that are inconvenienced instead of 1.

• Like 2

Haven restaurant has same menu Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner every day. I did enjoy Breakfast their daily and luches by the Haven indoor pool area . Got tired of the  Dinner Menu so only ate there a few times.

I definitely would have enjoyed a 7 days of specialty restaurants in lieu of...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Question for all (not just those on this sailing)....

Would it be better to close the restaurant for 1 entire cruise or close the restaurant for the last 4 days of 1 cruise and the first 4 days of the following week cruise?

Doing it all in one cruise will upset fewer people but it will make that group very upset. Splitting it between 2 cruises will give everyone a few days in the restaurant but will have 2 Haven groups that are inconvenienced instead of 1.

Not sure but is this a round trip itinerary? If yes maybe they will have to bring on workers for that sailing and only

want to have them on for one week not two. But that doesn't take into consideration the guests feelings.

• Like 2

I would be most upset about losing the “Freestyle” aspect to eating at the speciality restaurants, reservations will need to be made right? I like just being able to walk into dinner whenever I’m ready. 

Another thought, if you already had paid for gratuities for a UDP will you get them back? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

Not sure but is this a round trip itinerary? If yes maybe they will have to bring on workers for that sailing and only

want to have them on for one week not two. But that doesn't take into consideration the guests feelings.

I was thinking about that but I was mainly putting the question out there as to what we passengers would prefer. The logistics of the repairs/maintenance won't really take passengers into consideration. It sucks for guests no matter what but it obviously needs to be done.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dgius said:

It's still an exclusive restaurant for Haven passengers, for breakfast and lunch..  not sure why this is an issue?  For years the ships used Cagneys as the restaurant for suite passengers...  Service will be exellent

As for specialty restaurants...  you have 7 nights in the Specialty Restaurants...  I would recommend Teppanyaki, Le Bistro, Cagneys ,  and whatever else you like from the offerings on the Joy.  Don't be afraid to visit any of them more than once if you like it.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, stefmaia said:

I would be most upset about losing the “Freestyle” aspect to eating at the speciality restaurants, reservations will need to be made right? I like just being able to walk into dinner whenever I’m ready. 

Another thought, if you already had paid for gratuities for a UDP will you get them back? 

Good point..I would think concierge would be able to assist those in Haven needing access to the specialty restaurants. 

• Like 1

UPDATE:  I just called to try and make reservations for the specialty dining rooms......AND THERE ARE NO SLOTS AVAILABLE LEFT.......IN ANY OF THE RESTAURANTS until 9:45PM!!!!!!   Which is not an option for my husband and me.   I was trying to be opened minded....NOW I am just ticked off!!!   

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dgius said:

UPDATE:  I just called to try and make reservations for the specialty dining rooms......AND THERE ARE NO SLOTS AVAILABLE LEFT.......IN ANY OF THE RESTAURANTS until 9:45PM!!!!!!   Which is not an option for my husband and me.   I was trying to be opened minded....NOW I am just ticked off!!!   

not to worry, they only prebook a portion of the reservations, check with the concierge when you board and they will most likely get you any reservations you desire.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dgius said:

You are in a suite...  just ask your concierge for whatever times you want... no issues.  You will have priority.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dgius said:

the concierge will book you tables at any time on embarkation day. But don’t delay, once a restaurant is totally sold out, even the concierge can’t get a table. 

We we would be tickled pink with a 7-day package. Since the Haven menu never changes, it is good for a couple of dinners at most for us. 

We we would combine it with our Platinum Plus dinners and use the SDP for lunch at Food Republic. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dgius said:

Calm down!! 😄

Only a fraction of restaurant slots are booked online. Not everyone has PC or online access to MyNCL.

Like a few other poster said, you’ll be able to get concierge to book dinners for you.

ENJOY - at least try to!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dgius said:

write down your requests and give them to the concierge team when you arrive on board - they only book 30% prior to the sailing. Would recommend a Waterfront restaurant on Tuesday for amazing Glacier viewing (Cagney's or LeBistro)

• Like 2

I understand about the upset at the loss of the exclusivity of the Haven restaurant, but myself I’d love to have 7 nights of specialty dining. We had it back in the heady days when the Free at Sea perk of free dining was unlimited specialty dining, and no gratuities. I find two dinners in the Haven all I want since the menu never changes.

2 hours ago, Dgius said:

Everybody is always entitled to their feelings, so your reaction is valid, but it does seem a bit extreme.  It's a change of venue, and they're giving you a bonus in compensation.

You're still getting a Haven exclusive venue for breakfast and lunch (likely with the exact same menu that would have been in the Haven restaurant), plus now they're giving you a 7 day specialty dinner package, so you can eat anywhere on the ship - that's a pretty reasonable compensation for a slightly further walk, IMO.

• Like 2

I saw this earlier in VV's thread.  I had mixed thoughts.  It is nice to have it as it often is not very full and quiet.  Our last trip on Escape the food and service were very good and we skipped one of our specialty dinners to eat Haven again.

I'm curious how they are going to handle the items in ala carte restaurants.  Will you be able to order anything at Cageny's for dinner or will they limit?  I know one nice thing about Haven restaurant if you wanted two of an entree it wasn't a problem.

There are some good specialties restaurants on the Joy so the options are there to try some good food and get some variety.

19 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Everybody is always entitled to their feelings, so your reaction is valid, but it does seem a bit extreme.  It's a change of venue, and they're giving you a bonus in compensation.

You're still getting a Haven exclusive venue for breakfast and lunch (likely with the exact same menu that would have been in the Haven restaurant), plus now they're giving you a 7 day specialty dinner package, so you can eat anywhere on the ship - that's a pretty reasonable compensation for a slightly further walk, IMO.

But of course they will have to rub elbows with the hoi polloi, the horror!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, dexddd said:

It is nice to have it as it often is not very full and quiet

Well, to be sure it will not be very full and should be extremely quiet on their sailing.   

TBH, I'm sure I'd be put out by the change as well, but hopefully the staff won't lock the dining area off so the Haveners will have access to the tables for cards, cocktails or whatnot.